More Evidence Steve Jobs Was Basically A Dick

So...Steve Jobs, the genius, had managed to drive Apple's stock down to $6.53 per share by 2003, through a combination of poor ideas and poor marketing strategy. Ben Knauss bailed him out...

According to Knauss, the iPod originated with a business idea dreamed up by Tony Fadell, an independent contractor and hardware expert who'd helped develop handheld devices at General Magic and Philips.

"Tony's idea was to take an MP3 player, build a Napster music sale service to complement it, and build a company around it," Knauss said. "Tony had the business idea."

Knauss said Fadell left Philips and set himself up as an independent contractor to shop the idea around. Knauss said Fadell approached several companies and was turned away by all of them, except for Apple.

Apple hired Fadell in early 2001 and assigned him a team of about 30 people -- "a typical industrial design team," Knauss said, including designers, programmers and hardware engineers. He's currently the senior director of iPod & Special Projects Group at Apple.

Knauss said at one of the first meetings with PortalPlayer, Fadell said, "This is the project that's going to remold Apple and 10 years from now, it's going to be a music business, not a computer business."

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mac/news/2004/07/64286?currentPage=all

Guise, d00dz, bros, I know Apple has made some great products and Steve Jobs was a genius. Heck, did you know I use a Mac because the security is tighter? But let's see if I can put things in perspective with a much better, albeit WAY older, example:

http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/today-i-learned-carl-sagan-once-sued-apple-libel

Guise, d00dz, bros, I know Apple has made some great products and Steve Jobs was a genius. Heck, did you know I use a Mac because the security is tighter? But let's see if I can put things in perspective with a much better, albeit WAY older, example:

http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/today-i-learned-carl-sagan-once-sued-apple-libel

This makes Sagan look like an ass not jobs

Interesting that many of the products mentioned were not under his direct control. Apple was a piece of shit in the the late 1980s right through until the 1990s but it was no fault of Jobs'. Many are unaware that he was not back in full control of Apple until the early 2000s, nearly a full four years after his return to Apple after being ousted and trying to take the boardroom back over.

In 1996, Apple announced that it would buy NeXT for $427 million. The deal was finalized in February 1997,[104] bringing Jobs back to the company he co-founded. Jobs became de facto chief after then-CEO Gil Amelio was ousted in July 1997. He was formally named interim chief executive in September.[105] In March 1998, to concentrate Apple's efforts on returning to profitability, Jobs terminated a number of projects, such as Newton, Cyberdog, and OpenDoc. In the coming months, many employees developed a fear of encountering Jobs while riding in the elevator, "afraid that they might not have a job when the doors opened. The reality was that Jobs's summary executions were rare, but a handful of victims was enough to terrorize a whole company."[106] Jobs also changed the licensing program for Macintosh clones, making it too costly for the manufacturers to continue making machines.

With the purchase of NeXT, much of the company's technology found its way into Apple products, most notably NeXTSTEP, which evolved into Mac OS X. Under Jobs's guidance, the company increased sales significantly with the introduction of the iMac and other new products; since then, appealing designs and powerful branding have worked well for Apple. At the 2000 Macworld Expo, Jobs officially dropped the "interim" modifier from his title at Apple and became permanent CEO.[107] Jobs quipped at the time that he would be using the title "iCEO".[108]

Edited by Alex

http://www.networkwo...ued-apple-libel

The security isn't tighter, people just don't put the effort into making viruses for the system because Windows is the more popular operating system.

Furthermore if you just stay off of shady website and don't run untrusted executable files you'll never get a virus regardless or platform.

The "Hockey Puck" Mouse (1998-2000)

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/5278130569bedd1d279596c1-1200/the-hockey-puck-mouse-1998-2000.jpg

Often referred to as the "hockey puck mouse", the disc design got attention...but for all of the wrong reasons.

Its small size made it awkward to grasp, and its round shape made it tricky to orient.

It only lasted for two years, and was discontinued in 2000.

Apple made these monstrosities? I always thought they were cheap no-name brand mice.

The security isn't tighter, people just don't put the effort into making viruses for the system because Windows is the more popular operating system.

Furthermore if you just stay off of shady website and don't run untrusted executable files you'll never get a virus regardless or platform.

A note on security. Yesterday I couldn't get on google on my iPad but I could visit sites in my history or favorites. I thought that it might be due to not installing latest software update. After installing update I was allowed back on google. Unless it was a coincidence I think it shows there is a slightly higher level of security. If your windows computer would have still had a version with security holes nothing would be done to stop you from self harm.

A note on security. Yesterday I couldn't get on google on my iPad but I could visit sites in my history or favorites. I thought that it might be due to not installing latest software update. After installing update I was allowed back on google. Unless it was a coincidence I think it shows there is a slightly higher level of security. If your windows computer would have still had a version with security holes nothing would be done to stop you from self harm.

Is apple seriously doing that? Most of their security updates back in the days of ios 4 and 5 would be to patch holes that people used to jailbreak the software as it is/was a huge game of cat and mouse, not security that would stop malware from entering. I'm fairly certain this hasn't changed but I could be wrong.

Honestly if my PC did that I would be infuriated. I know damn well what I'm doing and I don't need the computer to treat me like a child when it comes to security. Firefox has some built in stuff where it will let you know if it detects a virus on the page and then refuse to load it, while giving you the option to proceed anyway.

The Power Mac g4 Cube (2000-2001)

http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/4cc591bbcadcbb075e020000-1200/the-power-mac-g4-cube-2000-2001.jpg

Photograph: Peter Morgan/Reuters

Despite its innovative design, critics complained the G4 was too expensive. It didn't even come with a monitor!

Plus, early models suffered from a manufacturing issue that led to cracks in the clear plastic case.

Despite what people said about the G4 then (and even NOW), it's probably served as some form of inspiration for small form factor PCs. Hell, look at the Mac Mini; it's basically just the G4 with better design and tech built into it (it doesn't even have a monitor, just like the G4!). I'll give Apple this: they come up with some interesting design concepts, but nothing that isn't already out there in terms of concepts. By the time the G4 came out, people were already making concepts for small form factor "cube" PCs; they just couldn't find the proper way to implement it.

Is apple seriously doing that? Most of their security updates back in the days of ios 4 and 5 would be to patch holes that people used to jailbreak the software as it is/was a huge game of cat and mouse, not security that would stop malware from entering. I'm fairly certain this hasn't changed but I could be wrong.

Honestly if my PC did that I would be infuriated. I know damn well what I'm doing and I don't need the computer to treat me like a child when it comes to security. Firefox has some built in stuff where it will let you know if it detects a virus on the page and then refuse to load it, while giving you the option to proceed anyway.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here.gif

I don't think that you can get to where he was by being nice.

I know what you mean. I don't feel like I need my hand held by Apple but my wife and daughter will click on anything without thinking so I'm glad they are using predominantly Apple devices since it is a little safer.

• Like 1

So...Steve Jobs, the genius, had managed to drive Apple's stock down to $6.53 per share by 2003, through a combination of poor ideas and poor marketing strategy. Ben Knauss bailed him out...

According to Knauss, the iPod originated with a business idea dreamed up by Tony Fadell, an independent contractor and hardware expert who'd helped develop handheld devices at General Magic and Philips.

"Tony's idea was to take an MP3 player, build a Napster music sale service to complement it, and build a company around it," Knauss said. "Tony had the business idea."

Knauss said Fadell left Philips and set himself up as an independent contractor to shop the idea around. Knauss said Fadell approached several companies and was turned away by all of them, except for Apple.

Apple hired Fadell in early 2001 and assigned him a team of about 30 people -- "a typical industrial design team," Knauss said, including designers, programmers and hardware engineers. He's currently the senior director of iPod & Special Projects Group at Apple.

Knauss said at one of the first meetings with PortalPlayer, Fadell said, "This is the project that's going to remold Apple and 10 years from now, it's going to be a music business, not a computer business."

http://www.wired.com...currentPage=all

A lot of the ideas were groundbreaking...it was the business or timing that were bad. And Apple was still the one that acted on the iPod project. I'm not saying Jobs was a saint or a genius, but I don't get all the hate.

• Like 1

Jobs was cool!

Here, look he also did TV on the side:

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120329231622/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/2/28/Quark%2C_2375.jpg/292px-Quark%2C_2375.jpg

"I SELL IPODS TO HEW-MANS FOR DOUBLE THE PROFIT!!!"

• Like 1

A lot of the ideas were groundbreaking...it was the business or timing that were bad. And Apple was still the one that acted on the iPod project. I'm not saying Jobs was a saint or a genius, but I don't get all the hate.

Apple have become the 800 lb. gorilla, and the 800 lb. gorilla always gets hate. Jobs was a well known dick 25 years ago, but Apple was generally the cute underdog.