Drop the background videos, effects and artwork

RushCanuck

I can do without the background videos and effects on the big screens while Rush is in concert. The big screens should strictly be used to show close ups of the 3 guys (for those not fortunate enough to get front row seats). Cutting out those special effects could help reduce the cost of the tickets as money would not need to be spent. After all, we're there to see Rush!

This is strictly my opinion, of course. Discuss and have at 'er.

• Like 2

I agree with that. I think it's going a bit over-the-top at this point. The music needs to be the focus rather than their acting skills.

I agree. I appreciate the extra work they put into all of that, but they really do need to slow down at least a little. I don't want us to hear The Worst News Ever about any of them any sooner than we have to.

Good point by the OP, I don't need the bombast shows either, but Rush are not just 3 people. They became a big company, with family and friends involved. A lot of mouths to feed.

I actually enjoy the "show" aspect. It has gotten maybe a little over the top but I still think it adds to the entertainment experience. Having said that. if they ever decided to go really "old school" and play ATWAS all the way through without all the theatrics I guess I could allow that...... :LOL:
  • Like 4

Nothing wrong with relevant images of each song played. For example, pop up the snowy owl album cover as they go into fly by night, or, the Hemispheres artwork of the same song. I think projecting time-accurate images would really enhance the feeling of the older material.
  • Like 3

Rush is known for their stage show, they can't drop any of that stuff. Like the drum solo it's become such a big part of the live experience that dropping it would just look odd. They're not a club/theater band, they are and arena band and they need to have an arena show.
  • Like 2

I disagree, I go to see a show, a multi-media event, not just watching music play. Rush is after all, acclaimed for their presentation.
  • Like 3

I love getting a show that accommodates the music. What they did with The Garden in the last tour really blew me away. It really gives you a sense of what they might have had in mind while writing the song, or at least it gives you a sense of imagery they want you to experience while listening to it. Things like that bring a song to life on stage. One example that is seared into my mind is Def Leppard's Rocket. When I last saw them, the way everything was set up and the graphics on screen + stage lighting really made the song stand out in a way that the music video or just blasting the song never could. Not only were they playing the song, they were showing it to us.

I think their background videos are absolutely stunning, beautiful and often times hilarious :)

In fact, my husband prefers seats further back so he can see all the screens for the videos :)

• Like 1

Bring back the 70's spirit with a basic light show or why not make like Metallica at the end of their show, no light show at all! Edited by RUDT

I like seeing the videos during the show, but I do agree the emphasis should be on the band while they're playing (but it doesn't have to solely be video of the band). I do think that the cameras need to be focused on Neil's kit when he's doing solos; last tour they had a camera shooting straight down onto his kit but they didn't use it nearly as often as they should have—wouldn't it have been great to watch the solo up close?

I do like the skits they do. I think they are a combination of weird and hilarious, kind of like the band themselves. Plus, we've come to know those as a sort of warm-up before the first and second sets. I'm guessing the band likes them for that reason, plus, they give the band a chance to slip onstage while everyone's attention is elsewhere.

• Like 1

I am fine with the big production budget, effects, etc. but the full fledged intro/outro/intermission videos need to go. The only good ones they ever did were with Jerry Stiller back for R30. That was 10 years ago now so the percentage of good videos is really not good at all. It's also not a coincidence that Jerry Stiller is an actual comedy professional. Rush should stick with what they're good at!

I like all the extra work they put into their shows. Really adds to the atmosphere of their performance and truly makes it "An Evening With Rush".

The intro/intermission/outro videos on the CA tour weren't really doing it for me but all of the videos during the songs, particularly Big Money, The Garden, and Caravan were awesome.

My absolute favorites are the ones from the Snakes and Arrows tour where Alex wakes up next to Neil, and anything starring Geddy/Harry Satchel :rfl:

However, the one that made me laugh the hardest was the simple old-timey intro video they did for the Vapor Trails tour with the Three Stooges music.

"Starring Geddy Lee, Neil Peart, .... and Brad Pitt!" /hilariousPictureOfLerxst :rfl: :rfl: :rfl: