Drop The Drum Solo

BasqueNYC

It's a bit like asking them to drop "Tom Sawyer" from the set list. I don't think anyone HERE would mind if it was gone, but to the masses, that would be heresy.

Heresy. Hmmmmmm.....I wonder if THAT song.......never mind.

clem

I would actually be disappointed if they dropped sawyer (or TSOR) from the set. it's one of the only songs that gets the whole place excited. when I see rush, most people around me act like they're at a play or an opera (or asleep). tom sawyer actually gets the crowd going

It's a bit like asking them to drop "Tom Sawyer" from the set list. I don't think anyone HERE would mind if it was gone, but to the masses, that would be heresy.

clem

I would actually be disappointed if they dropped sawyer (or TSOR) from the set. it's one of the only songs that gets the whole place excited. when I see rush, most people around me act like they're at a play or an opera (or asleep). tom sawyer actually gets the crowd going

Taking my son to see them in 2007 is a perfect example. He was 17 at the time and I was 47. He is a musician and it was his first show and I am not a musician and it was my 10th. I sat most of the time and listened and cheered and he was going nuts (especially during Natural Science). I think he was a bit surprised and disappointed by my calm demeanor..... :) He was like "come on dad" Edited by Narpski

Drum solos are boring. I think Geddy and Alex appreciate the rest it gives them though.

I agree it's a good break for the other two but i think drum solos are a snooze no matter whose doing them.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

clem

Taking my son to see them in 2007 is a perfect example. He was 17 at the time and I was 47. He is a musician and it was his first show and I am not a musician and it was my 10th. I sat most of the time and listened and cheered and he was going nuts (especially during Natural Science). I think he was a bit surprised and disappointed by my calm demeanor..... :) He was like "come on dad"

yeah even by my 3rd rush show I wasn't nearly as excited as I was for my 1st or my 2nd. plus, being young, I can stand pretty much the whole time without breaking a hip. I like to make fun of the folks who look bored for most of the gig but I often forget that for a lot of those bored looking older folks, it's their 25th show and the whole time they're just thinking "man, this sure sounded better when they did it in 1980." which it probably did, so I guess I can't blame em.

They need to drop everything and record Clockwork Angels II

Like it when you can't stop thinking big, bro. Fantastic idea. :clap: :cheers:

As for the drum solos, I've always enjoyed most of them over the years. Nothing bored me or made me think I want to hear another song instead. Bring em Neil.

clem

Taking my son to see them in 2007 is a perfect example. He was 17 at the time and I was 47. He is a musician and it was his first show and I am not a musician and it was my 10th. I sat most of the time and listened and cheered and he was going nuts (especially during Natural Science). I think he was a bit surprised and disappointed by my calm demeanor..... :) He was like "come on dad"

yeah even by my 3rd rush show I wasn't nearly as excited as I was for my 1st or my 2nd. plus, being young, I can stand pretty much the whole time without breaking a hip. I like to make fun of the folks who look bored for most of the gig but I often forget that for a lot of those bored looking older folks, it's their 25th show and the whole time they're just thinking "man, this sure sounded better when they did it in 1980." which it probably did, so I guess I can't blame em.

There was also something to being drunk and or high back in the day that made it seem more entertaining as well. The trip afterwards to Mickey D's for about 5 hamburgers and two large fries was nice too..... :cheers:
  • Like 1

I'm on my feet every time I see them. It helps get me more into the show; sitting down is something I can do at home. (Although it helps that I splurged for VIP tix this last tour, so I was sitting close.)

There was also something to being drunk and or high back in the day that made it seem more entertaining as well. The trip afterwards to Mickey D's for about 5 hamburgers and two large fries was nice too..... :cheers:

That is the reason I don't remember my first Rush show (~1981) :( I remember going and all, of course, but I don't remember the songs or what happened. Since then I'll maybe have a beer at a show but no more—I want to be sure to remember whatever I can.

I'm on my feet every time I see them. It helps get me more into the show; sitting down is something I can do at home. (Although it helps that I splurged for VIP tix this last tour, so I was sitting close.)

That is the reason I don't remember my first Rush show (~1981) :( I remember going and all, of course, but I don't remember the songs or what happened. Since then I'll maybe have a beer at a show but no more—I want to be sure to remember whatever I can.

Drunk was probably to strong a term. Buzzed either way would be more accurate. I remember all of the shows I went to (all bands) as much as a 53 year old should or could some 30-35 years later.... :)
  • Like 1

I say keep 'em in. I think Neil enjoys the challenge and room for improvisation...so I doubt that he'd be into dropping it for a tour. Besides, seemed like they all had their solos on the last tour. Geddy with Where's My Thing? Alex with Peke's Response, and Neil with his broken down 3 part solo...However I wouldn't be opposed at all to Neil bringing back the ATWAS solo or the YYZ solo...so good.

That being said, I can see why some people would vote to nix the drum solo...but it stays like TSOR and Tom Sawyer as the "crowd-pleasing" parts of the set, taking into account that these days the band kinda wants to keep the set designed in such a way that a first time Rush concert-goer gets a full experience.

I can see both points of view. Personally I like the drum solos if they're kept short and interesting. He's been rehashing the same drum solo for a few tours now though.

I prefer that the solo stay in, but bring it back as a full thing, not split into 3. I wasn't overly fond of The Percussor (the electronic bit after Dreamline) on the live CD, but on Snakes Live and Time Machine it complemented the acoustic part of the solo well, and I couldn't ask for a better finale with a Buddy Rich tribute.

(guys shut up, if he drops the solo that means we don't get the acoustic set back, which probably means no Different Strings or Closer To The Heart BE QUIET) :P

I don't want to lose the solo BUT I don't want an acoustic set either.

It would not be a Rush concert without the Professor's solo. It just wouldn't. I'm glad to see the end of the big band finale (it was fun for one tour), and I really liked the 3 shorter solos on the CA tours.

• Like 1

The fact that he's been changing it up a little more is better than the same old same old that it used to be. The part that I wished he'd lose when he did the whole solo at once was the big band thing playing along to the recorded stuff... That just got on my nerves...but I guess he liked it so...

I do enjoy the solos around the recorded big band stuff, but I agree about him changing it up. It's better broken down into 3 parts, IMO!

I thought his solos were great on the last tour. Especially his electronic one.

I'm pretty sure it's a thing for newcomers. I know I would've been disappointed if he hadn't done one the first time I saw them. I'm glad he's still doing it and I hope he always does for the rest of his career.

Besides, have you seen or heard some drum solos that other arena bands are putting out there? Neil's solos are always very well composed and musical. A lot of other guys just bash around and play basic beats.

Edited by Dscrapre
  • Like 1

clem

my post-concert restaurant's usually waffle house :D-13:

• Like 1

clem

my post-concert restaurant's usually waffle house :D-13:

Love me some Waffle House myself.... :d13:
  • Like 2

I wouldn’t say drop the drum solo but it should be shorter which would possibly make room for one more song. What they did on the CA tour, breaking it into THREE drum solos, I felt that was ridiculous! I appreciate them trying something different but that was a silly idea and should have been shot down.

nothing wrong with stating your opinion. I actually liked the "broken down into 3" deal from the last tour.

The one negative thing about dropping the solo is that it's the one thing that EVERYONE in the crowd really enjoys. Back when I was 22 (Presto tour), I made the mistake that a lot of testosterone driven males make: I took my girlfriend to a Rush show. Well, she didn't like it - BUT she did like the drum solo.

Fast forward 24 years. I'm now married. My wife (not the girlfriend I mentioned above) would NEVER go to a Rush show. She just don't like 'em. However anytime I have a concert DVD in the player - she confesses that the drum solo is really fun to watch.

Yeah - an extra two songs would be nice.

Clem

I don't think everyone in the crowd enjoys it. I think it bores the bejesus out of the casuals. Even when I'm up close to the band, he gets people politely looking on. I'm not saying that people don't love it, but it gets less of a reaction during the song than virtually anything else they do. And while the bathrooms and bear lines don't go crazy, they seem busier during the solo than during anything that isn't Territories.