Drop The Drum Solo

BasqueNYC

I know I'm gonna get some shit for this and as a drummer too but I'd like to see Neil retire the solo that was we could get another 2 Rush songs in there.Im not saying this that the solos sucks I enjoy them but I'd rather hear more Rush songs than a solo.so hears to no solo on the next tour to the people who dig it I'm sorry but I wouldn't worry it will happen its a staple at Rush shows people know when you go to a Rush show your gonna hear the Professer

Like Bubbles said in the "Trailer Park Boys" episode "Closer to the Heart" (which was very funny) "come on Ricky Geddy Lee,Alex Lifeson,Neil Peart you know he's gonna do that f*ckin Drum solo!! Haha

Please don't start throwing tomatoes at me until I pull up my Plastic sheet.....ok through now!

• Like 5

nothing wrong with stating your opinion. I actually liked the "broken down into 3" deal from the last tour.

The one negative thing about dropping the solo is that it's the one thing that EVERYONE in the crowd really enjoys. Back when I was 22 (Presto tour), I made the mistake that a lot of testosterone driven males make: I took my girlfriend to a Rush show. Well, she didn't like it - BUT she did like the drum solo.

Fast forward 24 years. I'm now married. My wife (not the girlfriend I mentioned above) would NEVER go to a Rush show. She just don't like 'em. However anytime I have a concert DVD in the player - she confesses that the drum solo is really fun to watch.

Yeah - an extra two songs would be nice.

Clem

Edited by clem

nothing wrong with stating your opinion. I actually liked the "broken down into 3" deal from the last tour.

The one negative thing about dropping the solo is that it's the one thing that EVERYONE in the crowd really enjoys. Back when I was 22 (Presto tour), I made the mistake that a lot of testosterone driven males make: I took my girlfriend to a Rush show. Well, she didn't like it - BUT she did like the drum solo.

Fast forward 24 years. I'm now married. My wife (not the girlfriend I mentioned above) would NEVER go to a Rush show. She just don't like 'em. However anytime I have a concert DVD in the player - she confesses that the drum solo is really fun to watch.

Yeah - an extra two songs would be nice.

Clem

Very true there are people who go to hear the drum solo and some may say the highlight of the show,which is fine as for me I'm just mixed about it he keeps gettin better but I'd like to see some radical changes I mean hell they brought a small string section last tour (although the next tour I doubt it)

As for your wife...well I force my wife (even though we are married we constantly argue and spilt up a lot but always find are way back to each other I mean A mean M a Spanard and hardcore NYer and her a laid back Aussie now living permanently living in NY you know arguments will fly lol) lol only she says "I'm only goin if we get a suite" (I got family members at Sony,daily news,etc that can get the suite tickets free) they have at Madison Square Garden and at all other arenas and stadiums around the world.Also and I know this is bad but I lie "will they play Resist acoustic and New Wordld Man,Digital Man,Enemy Within?" My reply "umm yeah sure whatever" like me she is a big fan of the reggae influence era of Rush cause well we look Roots,dub step,reggae.Of course if they aren't played I get the "face" and I say "hey not my fault go yell at Geddy,Alex and Neil they deserve it not me those should be played!" Hehe

And I have now appointed myself the voice of all Rush fans in the room we wanna hear those songs......so get cracking,thank you

(Gets off soapbox)

The feeling I got watching his solos.....in the presence of a god. I would be very sad if he dropped them from the set.
  • Like 3

The fact that he's been changing it up a little more is better than the same old same old that it used to be. The part that I wished he'd lose when he did the whole solo at once was the big band thing playing along to the recorded stuff... That just got on my nerves...but I guess he liked it so...
  • Like 2

While I prefer an extra couple of sogs over solos, there is just something special about Neil's solo. It's pretty much the only live solo I don't mind because Neil is actually doing something musically with it instead of just pounding away for no reason. The crowd loves it too much, i've never seen a drum solo get a standing ovation each time like it does at a Rush show. I don't think they will ever drop the drum solo. It's much too important to the show at this point. Rush dropping the drum solo would be like McDonald's getting rid of french fries. It's never gonna happen. Edited by J2112YYZ

I prefer that the solo stay in, but bring it back as a full thing, not split into 3. I wasn't overly fond of The Percussor (the electronic bit after Dreamline) on the live CD, but on Snakes Live and Time Machine it complemented the acoustic part of the solo well, and I couldn't ask for a better finale with a Buddy Rich tribute.

(guys shut up, if he drops the solo that means we don't get the acoustic set back, which probably means no Different Strings or Closer To The Heart BE QUIET) :P

The crowd goes more nuts for the solo it seems than anything else lol I think it would be the worst idea ever to drop it.

I like the idea of the shortened solos. As for which part I might not miss, for me it's the electronic pastoral and industrial pieces. I understand how technical they are, but I find them dull as concert experiences. I like solos that groove, rock or swing.

Gee I don't want Rush to drop Neil drums solo they are too good for me and it is right that it is a Rush Concert traditions
  • Like 1

It's a bit like asking them to drop "Tom Sawyer" from the set list. I don't think anyone HERE would mind if it was gone, but to the masses, that would be heresy.

Heresy. Hmmmmmm.....I wonder if THAT song.......never mind.

clem

Don't you blaspheme in here! Don't you blaspheme in here! This is my drummer, this is my band, and you are just gonna walk right out this thread without your two extra Rush songs, without your four fried chickens, and without us giving up Neil 'Bubba' Peart's solo!

:P

• Like 1

I agree. Dump the dreaded drum solo! its taxing on Neil and is so passe' these days. Unless... he does the ATWAS solo :)

I must admit I would love to hear it again.... :huh: Old school cowbells please..... :)

I could do with dropping solos in the style of the here it is solo, but the fast solo from headlong flight is not a terrible time spender, and I loved to death the Percussor and would love to see more stuff like that.

I agree. Dump the dreaded drum solo! its taxing on Neil and is so passe' these days. Unless... he does the ATWAS solo :)

See that was another thing I noticed ....he's gettin older and seems to be doing slower percussion driven solos almost like those lifeHACK drummers just doin odd stuff not bad but there's no pattern to it just banging on shit but they sound like a 3 yr old banging on a pan,although Neil has a pattern and mad skills and still is DA MAN!!!! But hearing 2 songs (hey could be a song you been wanting to hear!) hmmm I'll take the 2 songs but I would miss the drum solo but the guy needs a break too taxing.But if he didn't want to do it anymore Neil would stop so that means he enjoys it (as he should)