Dion Jordan bulked up this offseason

Posted by Josh Alper on May 27, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwfhy2mznja0zmm5mgm3nzi2ymrkytvmngu2mmq4mja3.jpeg?w=250

The start of OTAs is the first chance to check in with some players since the end of last season and things can change dramatically over just a few months.

That appears to be the case with Dolphins defensive end Dion Jordan. Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reports that Jordan looks like “he took an air pump and plugged it into his arms and shoulders this offseason” as he bulked up to over 265 pounds. Jordan played at 248 pounds last season and admitted on Tuesday that he felt too light to do the job the Dolphins were asking him to do.

“I was definitely too light to go out there against some of those offensive tackles,” Jordan said. “This year I had the opportunity to have an offseason where I can take care of my body. I’m trying to move forward and continue to try to better myself in a few areas.”

Coach Joe Philbin said that the Dolphins considered moving Jordan to outside linebacker, but ultimately decided against it because they wanted Jordan focused on rushing the passer instead of covering receivers. Jordan did look out of place at the position at times last season, so the Dolphins will have to bet that increased bulk and a fully healed shoulder get him where he needs to be.

Thanks for drafting this winner, Ireland... :banghead:

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwfhy2mznja0zmm5mgm3nzi2ymrkytvmngu2mmq4mja3.jpeg?w=250

The start of OTAs is the first chance to check in with some players since the end of last season and things can change dramatically over just a few months.

That appears to be the case with Dolphins defensive end Dion Jordan. Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reports that Jordan looks like “he took an air pump and plugged it into his arms and shoulders this offseason” as he bulked up to over 265 pounds. Jordan played at 248 pounds last season and admitted on Tuesday that he felt too light to do the job the Dolphins were asking him to do.

“I was definitely too light to go out there against some of those offensive tackles,” Jordan said. “This year I had the opportunity to have an offseason where I can take care of my body. I’m trying to move forward and continue to try to better myself in a few areas.”

Coach Joe Philbin said that the Dolphins considered moving Jordan to outside linebacker, but ultimately decided against it because they wanted Jordan focused on rushing the passer instead of covering receivers. Jordan did look out of place at the position at times last season, so the Dolphins will have to bet that increased bulk and a fully healed shoulder get him where he needs to be.

They're talking about him like he's a 5th round project they took a flyer on...

They did take a flyer on him. Just with the third overall pick :facepalm:

He'll be out of the league in a couple of years dishing out donuts...

Hopefully he gets a better shift than Jeff Ireland.

Hopefully he gets a better shift than Jeff Ireland.

:LOL:

• Like 1

Did you see Martin criticize LeBron for not being tough? That was a good laugh.

Jonathon Martin? Really?

Jonathon Martin? Really?

No it was Dean Martin, who thinks Jerry Lewis is far tougher...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51umaLWzRpL._SY300_.jpg

• Like 1

Jonathon Martin? Really?

No it was Dean Martin, who thinks Jerry Lewis is far tougher...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51umaLWzRpL._SY300_.jpg

• Like 1

Jonathan Martin, yes, that one, urges LeBron to toughen up

•  

June 6, 2014|Staff report

Jonathan Martin tweeted that severely cramping Miami Heat star LeBron James should 'drink a Gatorade & get out there' during the fourth quarter.

Martin was at the epicenter of the Miami Dolphins bullying scandal last season.

Martin deleted the tweet, but not before numerous people had captured the image of it and posted it themselves.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2014-06-06/sports/sfl-jonathan-martin-lebron-james-20140605_1_jonathan-martin-lebron-james-miami-dolphin

Jonathan Martin, yes, that one, urges LeBron to toughen up

•  

June 6, 2014|Staff report

Jonathan Martin tweeted that severely cramping Miami Heat star LeBron James should 'drink a Gatorade & get out there' during the fourth quarter.

Martin was at the epicenter of the Miami Dolphins bullying scandal last season.

Martin deleted the tweet, but not before numerous people had captured the image of it and posted it themselves.

http://articles.sun-...s-miami-dolphin

What a clown! Good luck, Niners; :)

Case not proven.

Did the O Line suck last year? Undoubtedly. But the bad decisions were numerous and they disproportionately occurred in big situations.

We'll see what happens this year. It's his third year and the O Line should be improved by a significant amount. I'm not expecting a quantum leap. Hope I'm wrong...

Plus ca change... :facepalm:

Knowshon Moreno hasn't only been taking snaps behind Lamar Miller and Daniel Thomas during the Miami Dolphins' offseason practices. The former Denver Bronco is barely taking snaps at all.

Players like Damien Williams, Orleans Darkwa, Mike Gillislee, Marcus Thigpen have also played ahead of Moreno, according to The Palm Beach Post. On Wednesday, while the rest of the team practiced, Moreno was by himself running sprints to the side like a late-career Albert Haynesworth.

For most of the practice, Moreno just watched. When asked about the odd circumstances, coach Joe Philbin claimed it was "all part of the plan." That's just not credible.

"I don't know," Moreno said with a laugh. "I guess that's just for you guys to just make up."

Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun Sentinel, for one, says that Moreno reportedly is battling some kind of medical issue, according to a source. But Philbin and Moreno have both referred to Moreno's conditioning level. Moreno even brought up the humidity in Miami.

"I don't think anyone's (fitness) level is where they want it to be," Moreno said.

It's a strange situation for a player who topped 1,500 yards from scrimmage with 13 touchdowns last year. We could be getting a better picture of why the Broncos didn't want Moreno back, and it's worth wondering if Moreno will even make the Dolphins team.

Moreno was asked about what he's going to do after minicamp.

"No vacations," he told The Palm Beach Post. "I've never really trained with anyone before. That might be something I look into."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000360222/article/the-mysterious-case-of-knowshon-moreno?campaign=Facebook_atl_rosenthal

#3 pick in the NFL draft and complete bust Dion Jordan is now suspended for the first four games of the season for PEDs. if that's enhanced performance, how bad did this guy suck before PEDs?

And where are we gonna find an inside rusher on extra point attempts??? Oh, noes....

#3 pick in the NFL draft and complete bust Dion Jordan is now suspended for the first four games of the season for PEDs. if that's enhanced performance, how bad did this guy suck before PEDs?

And where are we gonna find an inside rusher on extra point attempts??? Oh, noes....

The team might be better now for the first four games... :smoke:

We'd be better off using the spot for a directional punter.

What do you think Ja'Wuan James will be like?

Hopefully (against all recent past experience) competent.

Hopefully (against all recent past experience) competent.

Let's hope so because Dion Jordan makes Mark Ingram look like a hall of famer!

• Like 1

MIAMI -- The Dolphins looked to one of their former draft picks in hopes of fixing their issues at center.

Miami signed free-agent center Samson Satele on Saturday evening, the team announced. The Dolphins also released guard Samuel Longo to make room for the move.

Satele is a former second-round pick of the Dolphins in 2007. He started 32 regular-season games in Miami for two seasons before being traded to the Oakland Raiders in 2009. Satele went on to start 98 career games for the Dolphins, Raiders and Indianapolis Colts.

The Dolphins need Satele's veteran presence after losing Pro Bowl center Mike Pouncey for four to eight games due to hip surgery. Miami tried mixing and matching various players at center at the start of training camp and had shaky results. Shelley Smith, Nate Garner and Sam Brenner all combined for approximately a dozen bad snaps so far in training camp. Satele should bring more stability to an unstable group.

This year the Dolphins are expected to have five new starters on the offensive line compared to last season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11301245/miami-dolphins-sign-free-agent-center-samson-satele