Know what I really like about Geddy's bass-playing?

Mika

'Force Ten' popped up on my ipod during my walk home from work (in the dark, wee hours of the morning) and it kind of struck me, one big reason why I like Geddy's bass-playing so much:

HIs bass-playing approach is more that of a lead instrument than most bass-players do. The opening riff of 'Force Ten' is all bass with some guitar chord washes, with Geddy supplying chordal bass notes and rhythm at the same time. I love this approach - he really uses his instrument, instead of it being more in the background, and this, I think, is one of the biggest facets of the 'Rush sound'. His bass provides so much more melody than more conventional bass-players do, and this is really cool.

Anyway, just wanted to share my thoughts. I think Geddy is a monster bass-player and Rush really wouldn't be Rush without his bass style!

• Like 8

One advantage he has is that there's only three members to the group. There's no rhythm guitarist to fill up the sonic space. The Who is another group with similar dynamics. When John Entwistle was alive he was very much a lead bass player but he also knew when to play in the pocket. Pete would often play a lot of chords while John went all over the fingerboard. It makes sense that Geddy plays the same way since John was a huge influence on him.
  • Like 1

Yes - I really like the 'power trio' aspect of Rush, with each of the guys using his instrument to the max - though, of course, each knowing when to pull back (as EagleMoon said) and let the song breathe or let someone else have a moment to shine. It's nice to hear the boys relying on just themselves, rather than adding in synthesizers or layered guitar or vocals.

I love the bass line on 'Fly By Night', how it echoes the vocal line a bit, and adds to the guitar. And Neil's drumming here... I love how busy and energetic it is. I wonder, if Neil was to approach this song anew today, how he would do the drum part?

And, one of the best examples of each guy lettin' it rip - especially Geddy - is 'YYZ'. I can't think of any other band that has done something similar with the bass, though maybe someone can enlighten me!

• Like 2

On this subject I love Geddy's solo album too! There's bass all over that thing! He uses it for lead, background and whatever else he can think of. Even parts that sound like guitar!
  • Like 2

You have melodic riffs on Tom Sawyer' and 'RTB'; you have busy virtuoso passages on 'Hemispheres' and 'Driven'; you have gorgeous bridges on 'Show Don't Tell' and 'Ghost Rider'. The man does it all. And then some.
  • Like 2

You nailed it Mika. Melody! You can hum along to every one of his bass lines. They are beautifully melodic even when he plays aggressively. It's what drew me to Rush and ultimately made me want to be a bass player.

For a treat, listen to Hemispheres. I'm sure you already have but pay special attention to the bass run over the lyrics "the struggle of the ancients first began".

His bass line there is actually a harmony to his vocal melody. Gorgeous!

• Like 2

Geddy's bass playing is pretty much the only reason I even go to Rush concerts any more. Where the other two guys' instrumental skills have clearly declined as they've aged, Geddy's bass playing has managed to remain at near peak levels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bbPxpPnxho

Fly by Night, esp @ 1:27

Three soloists. Isn't this state the embodiment of Rush? Where did it disappear to?

They need to play FBN again.

In its raw form as above!

Oh hello, how about not. There's no way Geddy can sing that song anymore. I would much rather remember it from this recording than have them do a half-assed job because he can't handle the vocals. Wishing he was still young won't change the reality that he's not. We just need to shut up and be happy with what he can can still manage.

• Like 2

Three soloists. Isn't this state the embodiment of Rush? Where did it disappear to?

Oh hello, how about not. There's no way Geddy can sing that song anymore. I would much rather remember it from this recording than have them do a half-assed job because he can't handle the vocals. Wishing he was still young won't change the reality that he's not. We just need to shut up and be happy with what he can can still manage.

Oh, hello. How about yes? They could tune it down, re-arrange the vocals a bit. It lends itself to that quite easily, and would be a great audience sing-along moment -- something sadly missing from the last tour.

Oh, hello. How about yes? They could tune it down, re-arrange the vocals a bit. It lends itself to that quite easily, and would be a great audience sing-along moment -- something sadly missing from the last tour.

That's fine, you have your opinion and I have mine but it wouldn't sound like the referenced video. That's what I was referring to. Some songs just don't sound right tuned down. He could drop the vocals an octave or so (which is where it would have to be to be in his current range) but that would take a lot of the fire out of the song, IMO.

Im talking purely about the music. Geddy can howl like a dog for all I care as long as they play the older songs in their authentic color.

Ah well if you take the singing out of the equation and we're talking instruments only then I agree. Let them play it. They can always do the medley thing.

You nailed it Mika. Melody! You can hum along to every one of his bass lines. They are beautifully melodic even when he plays aggressively. It's what drew me to Rush and ultimately made me want to be a bass player.

For a treat, listen to Hemispheres. I'm sure you already have but pay special attention to the bass run over the lyrics "the struggle of the ancients first began".

His bass line there is actually a harmony to his vocal melody. Gorgeous!

Love 'Hemispheres' - have always loved Geddy's high vocals and the awesome music. I've started paying more attention to the bass in this song, and realized it really sounds very good, and that part you mention... I can hear it in my head, and know what you mean. I wonder, too, how many octaves apart are Geddy's bass and his accompanying high vocals in that part? :S

Im talking purely about the music. Geddy can howl like a dog for all I care as long as they play the older songs in their authentic color.

Ah well if you take the singing out of the equation and we're talking instruments only then I agree. Let them play it. They can always do the medley thing.

Yes! The medley thing. Like the opening medley from the R30 tour (almost typed R40 there - whoops!), which was awesome! But it could be bigger, and better, and include more songs... I've said it before, but there's a lot of good riffage in those older songs! And, how awesome would it be if Geddy simply got the audience to sing parts during the medley... I know that I, for one, would love to belt out some of the older songs, now that I've been practicing them! :D

• Like 1

Yes! The medley thing. Like the opening medley from the R30 tour (almost typed R40 there - whoops!), which was awesome! But it could be bigger, and better, and include more songs... I've said it before, but there's a lot of good riffage in those older songs! And, how awesome would it be if Geddy simply got the audience to sing parts during the medley... I know that I, for one, would love to belt out some of the older songs, now that I've been practicing them! :D

Don't ask a Rush crowd to sing along (unless you're from Brazil). We're far too reserved for that :P

Rush ain't a sing-a-long band. They tried that with Presto and failed.

Also, yes, Geddy is my bass playing god.

I'm not too big on his solo album minus the title track and Grace To Grace. I can't help but wonder where the other two guys are. After hearing 25 years of Rush music hearing Geddy's voice and bass on something completely different just throws me off a bit.

• Like 1

As much as i enjoy MFH i have to say i was very dissapointed with his bass lines on the album and expected him to be much more creative with his instrument, to me some of the bass parts sounded like he hadn't really given them much thought. Maybe he was more focused on the songs and melodies as a whole and didn't want the bass to dominate so kept the lines simple but i think it was a wasted opportunity for him to shine!

Don't ask a Rush crowd to sing along (unless you're from Brazil). We're far too reserved for that :P

I never see people at rush shows singing

I never see people at rush shows singing

Whatttt?!?!?