Xbox 1 or PS4?

thesweetscience

I have a serious intrusion issue with the Xbox 1. It always has to be connected to the Internet with peripherals active... Too much intrusion for why you're getting. Plus if you're using it for media, why wouldn't you go with Sony... The company that devised the bluray format?

So far PS4 game been shown to perform better than their XBone counterparts.

Netflix is hidden behind a paywall (xbox live) for the XBone, not for PS4.

Microsoft has no interesting exclusive (at least for me), while Sony has infamous and Metal Gear Solid (which might come to PC so WOOHOO)

I think the little trackpad on the PS4 controller has potential. I also like that the PS4 controller feels like it is made for my hands, not tiny child hands like the PS1/2/3 controller.

Sony is giving much more freedom to indie devs (not saying much, but it's something).

I won't be buying either, but since the it's a hypothetically free system, PS4 hands down.

I have a serious intrusion issue with the Xbox 1. It always has to be connected to the Internet with peripherals active... Too much intrusion for why you're getting. Plus if you're using it for media, why wouldn't you go with Sony... The company that devised the bluray format?

They removed the internet connection requirement before release.

Edited by USB Connector
  • Like 2

So far PS4 game been shown to perform better than their XBone counterparts.

Netflix is hidden behind a paywall (xbox live) for the XBone, not for PS4.

Microsoft has no interesting exclusive (at least for me), while Sony has infamous and Metal Gear Solid (which might come to PC so WOOHOO)

I think the little trackpad on the PS4 controller has potential. I also like that the PS4 controller feels like it is made for my hands, not tiny child hands like the PS1/2/3 controller.

Sony is giving much more freedom to indie devs (not saying much, but it's something).

I won't be buying either, but since the it's a hypothetically free system, PS4 hands down.

They removed the internet connection requirement before release.

I actually have an opportunity to get one for free.

What ever became of the whole issue with Xbone game sharing? That was the major dealbreaker for me...So PS4 all the way. I've personally enjoyed the controller setup of the PlayStation more than the Xbox. Sadly I haven't been able to get any sony console past the PS2...So for now I'm stuck with the 360...but If I had the money, it would definitely go to a PS4. One thing I have a hard time understanding from both companies is why they are so against backwards compatibility?

What ever became of the whole issue with Xbone game sharing? That was the major dealbreaker for me...So PS4 all the way. I've personally enjoyed the controller setup of the PlayStation more than the Xbox. Sadly I haven't been able to get any sony console past the PS2...So for now I'm stuck with the 360...but If I had the money, it would definitely go to a PS4. One thing I have a hard time understanding from both companies is why they are so against backwards compatibility?

They would need additional components (which would drive up the cost) to be backwards compatible. Plus They want to showcase the awesome graphics on their new system.

Forces you to spend more money. They don't want you playing old games they want you playing new ones.
  • Like 1

Backwards compatibility was already covered. They pulled the plug on game sharing because they removed the always online DRM, which means it would be really easy to exploit and get free games from a buddy.

If you wanted the thing for games, I would say PS4 hands down. I'm a video game collector so I get every major system, and last generation I strongly preferred the 360 to the PS3 because of a better controller, much better games, better online and cheaper.

But I have both the PS4 and the Xbox One and I think the PS4 is a better gaming console. It's cheaper, has more power, a vastly improved (but still inferior) controller and much more "free" games with an online subscription. (Having said all that, I've played my Xbox One much more than the PS4 due to Titanfall, Forza and Ryse and a complete lack of any good exclusives on the PS4).

But you asked for a media device. Well, neither console plays 3D yet, but the PS4 is significantly more crippled than the PS3 at this point. It has sound issues, media issues, and just doesn't perform. That's not a dealbreaker as many of the lacking features weren't originally on the PS3, but it's still surprising to me. The big advantages that the Xbox One has over the PS4 for media is you can plug a cable box into the Xbox1 and control TV from that. It integrates pretty well, voice commands work amazing, and it's easy. Despite all this, I still think the PS4 edges out the X1...for now. The PS4 doesn't require online payments to use certain apps (Netflix is the big one) and because of the pedigree, I think the PS4 will get all the upgrades to make it as good as the PS3 was for media.

Still, your best option now is a PS3.

• Like 1

If you wanted the thing for games, I would say PS4 hands down. I'm a video game collector so I get every major system, and last generation I strongly preferred the 360 to the PS3 because of a better controller, much better games, better online and cheaper.

But I have both the PS4 and the Xbox One and I think the PS4 is a better gaming console. It's cheaper, has more power, a vastly improved (but still inferior) controller and much more "free" games with an online subscription. (Having said all that, I've played my Xbox One much more than the PS4 due to Titanfall, Forza and Ryse and a complete lack of any good exclusives on the PS4).

But you asked for a media device. Well, neither console plays 3D yet, but the PS4 is significantly more crippled than the PS3 at this point. It has sound issues, media issues, and just doesn't perform. That's not a dealbreaker as many of the lacking features weren't originally on the PS3, but it's still surprising to me. The big advantages that the Xbox One has over the PS4 for media is you can plug a cable box into the Xbox1 and control TV from that. It integrates pretty well, voice commands work amazing, and it's easy. Despite all this, I still think the PS4 edges out the X1...for now. The PS4 doesn't require online payments to use certain apps (Netflix is the big one) and because of the pedigree, I think the PS4 will get all the upgrades to make it as good as the PS3 was for media.

Well PS3 wasn't part of the offer. maybe I will choose the PS4 and just sell it on Ebay.

Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

Well PS3 wasn't part of the offer. maybe I will choose the PS4 and just sell it on Ebay.

Thanks for the info.

If you're gonna sell it, remember that the Xbox1 retails for $100 more than the PS4

Thanks for the info.

If you're gonna sell it, remember that the Xbox1 retails for $100 more than the PS4

Really?

Its likely going to be a few months before I get it so I will check retail prices at that time.

Thanks for the info.

Really?

Its likely going to be a few months before I get it so I will check retail prices at that time.

Prices won't drop this year (barring catastrophe for the Xbox)...the biggest thing you'll see is bundles and flash sales at the end of the year.

Thanks for the info.

Really?

Prices won't drop this year (barring catastrophe for the Xbox)...the biggest thing you'll see is bundles and flash sales at the end of the year.

Nice. Thanks for the info.

Although sony is saying that they won't be able to meet PS4 demand for another few months. So check ebay and kijiji to see what they're going for in your area.

We got the XBox for my son for Christmas and we are really disappointed. The signing in/logging in process every damn time is annoying and when he went to play with a friend online we discovered that you have to pay extra monthly for the "Gold" package and are now having to pay a monthly fee to use it (as well as use Netflix and such on it). He is actually ready to take it down to the local GameStop and trade it and all his games for either a PS3 or a PS4...

I think the best comment I found online related to the "Gold" membership was an analogy: It's like paying for a hotel room and getting into the room only to discover you need to pay extra to sleep in the bed.

Edited by Mike2112

We got the XBox for my son for Christmas and we are really disappointed. The signing in/logging in process every damn time is annoying and when he went to play with a friend online we discovered that you have to pay extra monthly for the "Gold" package and are now having to pay a monthly fee to use it (as well as use Netflix and such on it). He is actually ready to take it down to the local GameStop and trade it and all his games for either a PS3 or a PS4...

I think the best comment I found online related to the "Gold" membership was an analogy: It's like paying for a hotel room and getting into the room only to discover you need to pay extra to sleep in the bed.

You have to pay for the PS4/PS3 online as well. Just not to use Netflix.

I have 2 PS3s and have never paid for online access

• Like 1

I stand corrected (I didn't use the PS3 as a game system so I never wanted to go online). You do need to pay to play online for the PS4.

I stand corrected (I didn't use the PS3 as a game system so I never wanted to go online). You do need to pay to play online for the PS4.

It's a yearly thing - right? I haven't looked into it.

So Xbox Gold is a yearly fee + monthly? Is that right?