I want setlist ideas for my tribute band...

forcetenrushtribute

Here are some of my opinions. I've had my Rush tribute for 5 years now and made ALOT of setlists in that time.

In order to set yourselves apart for other Rush tributes, do songs that nobody else is doing (or very few are doing).

Die hard Rush fans will love whatever you play, so the more obsucre songs are OK to do.

And yes, there are lots of Rush tributes who only play up till Moving Pictures. If you have the ablities to do those "synth heavy" songs from the 80's, go for it!!

Here is a small sample of songs we are doing (not including all the classic "hits")

Prime Mover

Trees/Xanadu

Between The Wheels

Chemistry

Animate

Countdown (including the radio talk)

Dreamline

Caravan

Jacobs Ladder

Acousitc block of songs

Dude, so I'm curious then. How well received is it when you do setlists of the more abstract/less "popular hits" type of stuff? Obviously, a lot of the "b side" stuff is my favorite (as is the case with most Rush fans) but I can't lie that it does worry me how it might be received - especially in a "music trendy" town like Nashville where random people who might not be Rush fans will react if we don't stick closer to "Spirit Of Radio, Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions, Limelight yadda yadda yadda..." in one of the clubs out here. Especially when I'm going for early slots (opening act hours) with only 60 minutes to work with. HAVE you........had some crowd success with the "non hits"? Call me a "sell out", but as a new tribute band in one of the largest musical cities in the world, I feel an obligation to "play the game" for a while - if you know what I mean. As much as Kenny made me giggle with his story of deliberately not doing Tom Sawyer on his first gig with kRUSH, I don't know if I have the guts to do that. ;)

Sorry. I didn't mean to say that should be your setlist solely for a 60 minute show. I was just giving ideas of obsucre songs that we do, incorportated throughout an entire 3+ hour night of Rush music. You should absolutely be doing all the "hits" until you can build your set list up to a full night yourselves. All the best

Edited by RUSH-2112
  • Like 1

Don't forget, Rush got away with playing one song from the 70s last tour, you can too! If I was ever in a tribute band, I could see myself putting in maybe one song from moving pictures and before for the first gig.

You better be playing to hardcore fans...the casuals will walk out. And rightfully so.

See that's my thinking too. This is Nashville. It's the home of trendy pop/rock singer songwriters, Christian/gospel music and country. People will appreciate a good tribute band (there is a Steely Dan, a Chicago and an Eagles tribute band in this town that all do very well) but people want familiarity. I could be a "die hard snob fan" and do all of the 70s favorites (and I'd love every minute of it) but it will be our last gig in this town ever if I do.

I would think that most casuals will know the "hits" from 1974-1982 plus Subdivisions and Dreamline and nothing else. I'm not saying that needs to be the only think on a setlist, but you need to know the audience and get them involved so that when you sneak a few more obscure songs they're already invested and along for the ride. If you play Tom Sawyer, Dreamline, Mission, and TSOR...Mission may be well received. If you play Prime Mover, Countdown, Mission and Between the Wheels, people won't even remember Mission because it will be just another of those background songs they weren't listening to.

• Like 1

One set, for the fans:

1. The Spirit Of Radio

2. Subdivisions

3. Between The Wheels

4. After image

5. Bravado

6. Mystic Rythms

7. Ghost Rider

8. We Hold On

9. Force Ten

10. Encore. Tom Sawyer.

Here are some of my opinions. I've had my Rush tribute for 5 years now and made ALOT of setlists in that time.

In order to set yourselves apart for other Rush tributes, do songs that nobody else is doing (or very few are doing).

Die hard Rush fans will love whatever you play, so the more obsucre songs are OK to do.

And yes, there are lots of Rush tributes who only play up till Moving Pictures. If you have the ablities to do those "synth heavy" songs from the 80's, go for it!!

Here is a small sample of songs we are doing (not including all the classic "hits")

Prime Mover

Trees/Xanadu

Between The Wheels

Chemistry

Animate

Countdown (including the radio talk)

Dreamline

Caravan

Jacobs Ladder

Acousitc block of songs

Dude, so I'm curious then. How well received is it when you do setlists of the more abstract/less "popular hits" type of stuff? Obviously, a lot of the "b side" stuff is my favorite (as is the case with most Rush fans) but I can't lie that it does worry me how it might be received - especially in a "music trendy" town like Nashville where random people who might not be Rush fans will react if we don't stick closer to "Spirit Of Radio, Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions, Limelight yadda yadda yadda..." in one of the clubs out here. Especially when I'm going for early slots (opening act hours) with only 60 minutes to work with. HAVE you........had some crowd success with the "non hits"? Call me a "sell out", but as a new tribute band in one of the largest musical cities in the world, I feel an obligation to "play the game" for a while - if you know what I mean. As much as Kenny made me giggle with his story of deliberately not doing Tom Sawyer on his first gig with kRUSH, I don't know if I have the guts to do that. ;)

Sorry. I didn't mean to say that should be your setlist solely for a 60 minute show. I was just giving ideas of obsucre songs that we do, incorportated throughout an entire 3+ hour night of Rush music. You should absolutely be doing all the "hits" until you can build your set list up to a full night yourselves. All the best

Oh I definitely understood what you meant. No worries. And thanks for the "well wishing". That means a lot coming from another tribute band member. I'm excited about our possibilities for sure. Our demo video (see signature) has only been up for two months and already has over 2,000 views. I'm SHOCKED! :o So I definitely feel like there is some hope.

Edited by forcetenrushtribute

Watched it awesome. Personally, I'd like the bass to be louder in the mix, but that's just me. The singer has a great voice!

OMG Thank you! I happen to be the singer so it means a lot to me to hear that!!! And your constructive criticism is very valid. I may do a revised mix eventually and will definitely hike the bass up a bit, because I happen to agree with you. C.R. is a great player and I feel we missed some of his great contributions in a few moments. Thanks for your input! Edited by forcetenrushtribute

One set, for the fans:

1. The Spirit Of Radio

2. Subdivisions

3. Between The Wheels

4. After image

5. Bravado

6. Mystic Rythms

7. Ghost Rider

8. We Hold On

9. Force Ten

10. Encore. Tom Sawyer.

Interesting, the reverse end of the two songs that are a must for us due to our name and the song we did for our demo (Force Ten and Spirit Of Radio). While a lot of people seem to have Force Ten first and Spirit Of Radio last, you have Spirit Of Radio first and Force Ten last (with an encore of Tom Sawyer). I could go either way with that, too. Both of those have been openers for Rush shows. Though I wonder, does anyone know if Force Ten has been a closer (whether pre or post encore)? I know Spirit Of Radio has been both last (pre encore) as well as encore (and everywhere in between).

I don't have much of a clue, but I would open with a taster of Cygnus X-1 (like Rush in Rio), go into something with a good drumbeat start (eg Body Electric, OLV, Armour and Sword) and the rest is up to you, but I would say end with Kid Gloves, the stabby ending gives you a good opportunity to say your thanks and good nights

I think Force Ten closed the second set during the Counterparts Tour.

That's interesting because it opened the show I saw in Sacramento.

I might be wrong…but I thought they opened with Dreamline.during that tour. Maybe that show you saw was during the Roll the Bones Tour? (Again, could be wrong.)

I think Force Ten closed the second set during the Counterparts Tour.

That's interesting because it opened the show I saw in Sacramento.

I might be wrong…but I thought they opened with Dreamline.during that tour. Maybe that show you saw was during the Roll the Bones Tour? (Again, could be wrong.)

I stand corrected! :-D

I guess there is a sort of formula that works well for this kind of thing.

Big Hit (Tom Sawyer, Spirit, Subdivisions etc.)

2 or 3 Minor Hits (Big Money, Force Ten, Distant Early Warning etc.)

Deep Cut (Grand Designs, Circumstances, Between The Wheels etc.)

Long cut (Natural Science, parts of 2112, Xanadu etc.)

A few Big Hits to go home on.

• Like 1

Rush tried that formula (minus long cut) on the CA Tour and lost most of the crowd by the end of Territories. That's why Limelight was rediscovered. And the audience was still lost by too many "minor hits" from the synth era. If you want to get casual or less than casual fans interested, be wary of putting too many synth era songs in a row...or in the set for that matter.

Rush tried that formula (minus long cut) on the CA Tour and lost most of the crowd by the end of Territories. That's why Limelight was rediscovered. And the audience was still lost by too many "minor hits" from the synth era. If you want to get casual or less than casual fans interested, be wary of putting too many synth era songs in a row...or in the set for that matter.

You really think so? I figure aside from the well know hits like Sawyer, Spirit, Limelight and perhaps Fly By Night, the synth era stuff is the most straight forward (4/4/ meter, basic chord structure) stuff - which would lend itself to the casual crowd (especially a Nashville crowd) well. Maybe I'm missing something here.... :eh:

You really think so? I figure aside from the well know hits like Sawyer, Spirit, Limelight and perhaps Fly By Night, the synth era stuff is the most straight forward (4/4/ meter, basic chord structure) stuff - which would lend itself to the casual crowd (especially a Nashville crowd) well. Maybe I'm missing something here.... :eh:

I would say virtually all the short songs from Rush-Moving Pictures would be met better by casuals than the synth era, as would any of the "popular" songs from RTB, CP, TFE, and S&A, and almost any song from VT and CA. The synth sound is very dated and if you don't like that sound, you're unlikely to love most of the music. Play subdivisions, and maybe 1 or 2 others spread out. But the idea of Subdivisions followed by 3 synth songs followed by another synth song is a recipe to ensure that only hardcore fans will like it, and even half of those will be bored to tears or disappointed.

I don't know what a Nashiville crowd is like, but I think very few people go to live concerts to hear synthesizers. I'm surprised that it would be more popular in Nashville than other places.

Edited by LedRush

I would say virtually all the short songs from Rush-Moving Pictures would be met better by casuals than the synth era, as would any of the "popular" songs from RTB, CP, TFE, and S&A, and almost any song from VT and CA. The synth sound is very dated and if you don't like that sound, you're unlikely to love most of the music. Play subdivisions, and maybe 1 or 2 others spread out. But the idea of Subdivisions followed by 3 synth songs followed by another synth song is a recipe to ensure that only hardcore fans will like it, and even half of those will be bored to tears or disappointed.

I don't know what a Nashiville crowd is like, but I think very few people go to live concerts to hear synthesizers. I'm surprised that it would be more popular in Nashville than other places.

Though you might have a point about "synth" sounds, in general, Nashville has changed a LOT over the years. Much more "trendy pop" centered these days...which can include a lot of programming...though perhaps not always "synth" heavy (though occasionally, yes). For an idea of what you might see walking the streets of Nashville THESE days, check out this music video done by another band I play in (only this time you'll notice I'm in the horn section) that was recorded at the popular Nashville music club "12th & Porter".

...........so that probably doesn't strike you as signature "honky tonk Nashville" but you'd be surprised how much of that kind of stuff (among just about every other genre under the sun) you would see if you spent a couple of nights hopping clubs along the streets of downtown Nashville. This.....is what it has become. Edited by forcetenrushtribute

I think 'Making Memories" is great example of an older song that would be popular with casuals, but if you're looking for a more recent under appreciated song from the synth era that I think can be well received by non-Rush fans, I think 'Emotion Detector' would be a nice choice.
  • Like 1

My preferences were definitely showing in those examples! Add songs like Anthem or Entre Nous to the minor hits.

Here's a pretty well-balanced sample setlist:

The Spirit of Radio

Anthem

Force Ten

Cinderella Man

Natural Science

YYZ

Limelight

Tom Sawyer

*Encore: Closer to the Heart*

EDIT: I added it up and this would be roughly 45 minutes of music.

Edited by Dscrapre
  • Like 1

Force Ten Rush Tribute Band SetlistIdea No, 2112

Force Ten

Time Stand Still

Spirit of Radio

Analog Kid

Limelight

Dreamline

2112/Temples of Syrinx

Big Money

Driven

Tom Sawyer

Edit: Approx. 50 mins

Edited by yyz211282

Did you ever book the date? When is the gig?

Well, there are now about 4 clubs with the same type "45-55 minute set time frames" (common in Nashville) that I have submitted for already. As big of a music town as Nashville is, bookings sometimes take time. So I'm still working on it. My patience is trying at times as I go through the process and I'm actually in the middle of trying to get some booking agency help as well (booking is not my forte and I need help). So that's the long answer. The short answer is "not yet". :banghead: If anyone out there (especially fellow tributers) have any suggestions....I'm all ears. We have almost 3,000 views on just our one video, 38 likes and lots of good reviews so I definitely think I have a product that can generate some interest and a crowd. I'm just not good at booking and that could be our downfall if I don't get some help. Come on fellow Rush fans, help a brother out!!!

Edited by forcetenrushtribute

I've been booking my band for 5 years. It's an arduous task. The most frustrating thing about the whole process is the "no response" from venues or promoters. I spend alot of time updating our website with current content like videos, photos, upcoming shows, etc... and it's a 1 stop shopping experience that will answer any question they might have about the band. Sadly, I have reached out to over 50 venues (locally and out of state) specifically targeting venues that have "tribute acts" already lined up and NEVER get as much as even a response email back saying "thanks but no thanks". Sheer and utter ignorance and total disregard the email was ever recieved.

But I keep trying and once in a great while I'll get a little nibble. You too will have success if you keep it up. Have patience and the more you grow, the more you'll get notice. Best of luck!!!