I want setlist ideas for my tribute band...

forcetenrushtribute

Working on booking my tribute band at a local club for an early slot that would only be a ONE set deal for about 60 minutes. I already have an idea of a setlist...but would like to bounce the idea off of other Rush fans because at the end of the day...we'll be playing for "Rush Fans" and I care more about what "Rush Fans" would enjoy hearing and less about what I THINK I might PERSONALLY like. Keep in mind two things, we've recorded Spirit Of Radio (so we need to do that one) and our band's name is Force Ten (so we need to include that one as well I think). So.....give me about 8 songs.......................in whatever order (but bearing in mind the two I need to include). Please post in ORDER as well as just the songs. Song order is very important, IMO... And btw - THANK YOU! :) I suppose I should say, if I sense a certain "pattern" among the responses on this thread, I WILL consider the advice. So lay it on me. :) Edited by forcetenrushtribute

1. Force Ten

2. The Analog Kid

3. Limelight

4. The Pass

5. Marathon

6. Malignant Narcissism (since it's short, it justifies 9 songs instead of 8)

7. Fly By Night

8. Dreamline

9. The Spirit Of Radio

I think that's a fair mix of songs.

• Like 2

1. Force Ten

2. The Analog Kid

3. Limelight

4. The Pass

5. Marathon

6. Malignant Narcissism (since it's short, it justifies 9 songs instead of 8)

7. Fly By Night

8. Dreamline

9. The Spirit Of Radio

I think that's a fair mix of songs.

OMG! :o That is actually very close to some of what I already had on my own list (though I won't spill that just yet). I like that you had Force Ten first. My first Rush concert (Presto tour) had Force Ten first and it's now a big sentimental favorite for me (which is why I named the band that). Any others ideas anyone? And THANKS, by the way, RushBoingo.

1. Force Ten

2. Subdivisions

3.The Big Money

4.Far Cry

5. One Little Victory

6. The Spirit Of Radio

7.Tom Sawyer

8. 2112: Overture/ The Temple Of Syrinx/ The Grand Finale

Edited by Zumbi

1. Force Ten

2. Subdivisions

3.The Big Money

4.Far Cry

5. One Little Victory

6. The Spirit Of Radio

7.Tom Sawyer

Wow! That's a good one, Zumbi! My only concern is the length of the 2112 stuff. I MAY not have enough time for it on a 60 minute set. :( Though I'd love to do that on a gig with a longer setlist sometime in the future.

Then skip

1. Force Ten

2. Subdivisions

3.The Big Money

4.Far Cry

5. One Little Victory

6. The Spirit Of Radio

7.Tom Sawyer

Wow! That's a good one, Zumbi! My only concern is the length of the 2112 stuff. I MAY not have enough time for it on a 60 minute set. :( Though I'd love to do that on a gig with a longer setlist sometime in the future.

Then skip Tom Sawyer

Before and After - 5:36

Lakeside Park - 4:07 (The Necromancer would be much better, but too long given the time constraints)

Circumstances - 3:45

Force Ten - 4:33 (+Band Member Intro)

Spirit of Radio - 4:58

The Analog Kid - 4:48

Cut to the Chase - 4:49

Red Barchetta - 6:10

Far Cry - 5:19

Earthshine - 5:42

2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx - 6:45

Limelight - 4:20

This probably puts you @ 3 minutes or so over 60 but you can probably get away with that. I would personally prefer more older stuff but I tried to create a good mix of older and newer, leaning a little more towards newer since your band name is Force Ten.

• Like 1

Force Ten - seems right to begin (or end) with that

Subdivisions - getting a "popular" one in early

The Big Money - a bunch of deeper (ish) cuts in a row

Show Don't Tell

Dreamline

Cut To The Chase

Driven

Caravan

Xanadu - back to the big hits

Spirit of Radio

• Like 1

Before and After - 5:36

Lakeside Park - 4:07 (The Necromancer would be much better, but too long given the time constraints)

Circumstances - 3:45

Force Ten - 4:33 (+Band Member Intro)

Spirit of Radio - 4:58

The Analog Kid - 4:48

Cut to the Chase - 4:49

Red Barchetta - 6:10

Far Cry - 5:19

Earthshine - 5:42

2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx - 6:45

Limelight - 4:20

This probably puts you @ 3 minutes or so over 60 but you can probably get away with that. I would personally prefer more older stuff but I tried to create a good mix of older and newer, leaning a little more towards newer since your band name is Force Ten.

Thanks! I like how you included the times. I'm not much of a talker either so those are probably very accurate. And definitely want to include a mix of old and new.

Force Ten - seems right to begin (or end) with that

Subdivisions - getting a "popular" one in early

The Big Money - a bunch of deeper (ish) cuts in a row

Show Don't Tell

Dreamline

Cut To The Chase

Driven

Caravan

Xanadu - back to the big hits

Spirit of Radio

Yeah, Rush themselves have opened with Force Ten many times so I'm pretty certain that FT will be the open and SOR will be the close. Though some have posted those two in different places here in this thread and I'm not opposed to that either. Open to pretty much anything.

Hey I have another question. Circumstances is definitely one I'm leaning towards, but I'm curious to know if any of you would find it to be an un-pardonable sin to shorten it by stopping before the slow section? Example would be time code "2:15" in the video below. I'm all about including as many songs as I can within a 60 minute crack of time but I MYSELF am not sure how I feel about "shortening songs". Most bands/artists/songs out there stand fine shortened but Rush songs almost feel wrong to shorten to me. But wondering if Circumstances might work ended at "2:15" (see video below). What do you guys think? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9dHL7GA1nk Edited by forcetenrushtribute

You could always try a brief medley of a few slightly deeper cuts. Sort of like the R30 Overture. That way you can play more songs without taking too much time. Edited by Dscrapre

I've never been a big fan of the medleys or shortened versions. My opinion is either play the full song or don't play it at all… don't tease me. I can certainly understand picking out sections of the epic album side songs like 2112 and Hemispheres, but outside of that I just feel cheated if if the whole song isn't played. Again, just my opinion.

Hey I have another question. Circumstances is definitely one I'm leaning towards, but I'm curious to know if any of you would find it to be an un-pardonable sin to shorten it by stopping before the slow section? Example would be time code "2:15" in the video below. I'm all about including as many songs as I can within a 60 minute crack of time but I MYSELF am not sure how I feel about "shortening songs". Most bands/artists/songs out there stand fine shortened but Rush songs almost feel wrong to shorten to me. But wondering if Circumstances might work ended at "2:15" (see video below). What do you guys think? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9dHL7GA1nk

I don't know, I think that slow part is a really nice part of the songs, and is pretty easy to medley into another song, which is something I am really into. One of my other favorite bands, Animal Collective, does this. They basically play songs straight through, but merge the endings and begginings together. They basically stop maybe 2 or 3 times during a set.

Anyway, off on a tanget. That synth spot could probably be medleyed into a song like Xanadu, Subdivisions, La Villa Strangiato or basically anything else you would want with some imagination and creativity. A good way to approach this though process is to let circumstances start to decompose bit by bit in the slow part, while slowly intoducing parts of the next song. Say you were merging into La Villa Strangiato you could let the synth slow down to a stop, while the guitar starts improvising the line from circumstances to slowly merge into the line from a lerxst dream (including necisary key changes), while on synth, bass, and bells, teasing the song with short lines from other spots from the song, when before you know it, you are playing the song. My example is probably a bit more lengthy in practice, but it's something to think about.

I am attaching a concert clip of the band I mentioned earlier. Feel free to watch the whole thing, but check out timecode 6:51 (the first song's regular ending, all of it's parts still fully intact) 7:07 (snippit of second song first appears) and 8:16 (first song disapears, second song in full throttle). They do this at other points in this clip (as well as every show), but this I thought was the best transition.

Hey I have another question. Circumstances is definitely one I'm leaning towards, but I'm curious to know if any of you would find it to be an un-pardonable sin to shorten it by stopping before the slow section? Example would be time code "2:15" in the video below. I'm all about including as many songs as I can within a 60 minute crack of time but I MYSELF am not sure how I feel about "shortening songs". Most bands/artists/songs out there stand fine shortened but Rush songs almost feel wrong to shorten to me. But wondering if Circumstances might work ended at "2:15" (see video below). What do you guys think? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9dHL7GA1nk

I don't know, I think that slow part is a really nice part of the songs, and is pretty easy to medley into another song, which is something I am really into. One of my other favorite bands, Animal Collective, does this. They basically play songs straight through, but merge the endings and begginings together. They basically stop maybe 2 or 3 times during a set.

Anyway, off on a tanget. That synth spot could probably be medleyed into a song like Xanadu, Subdivisions, La Villa Strangiato or basically anything else you would want with some imagination and creativity. A good way to approach this though process is to let circumstances start to decompose bit by bit in the slow part, while slowly intoducing parts of the next song. Say you were merging into La Villa Strangiato you could let the synth slow down to a stop, while the guitar starts improvising the line from circumstances to slowly merge into the line from a lerxst dream (including necisary key changes), while on synth, bass, and bells, teasing the song with short lines from other spots from the song, when before you know it, you are playing the song. My example is probably a bit more lengthy in practice, but it's something to think about.

I am attaching a concert clip of the band I mentioned earlier. Feel free to watch the whole thing, but check out timecode 6:51 (the first song's regular ending, all of it's parts still fully intact) 7:07 (snippit of second song first appears) and 8:16 (first song disapears, second song in full throttle). They do this at other points in this clip (as well as every show), but this I thought was the best transition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EMtKgmRnQo

Great ideas! And like I said earlier, Xanadu is another one I REALLY want to do and maybe this is a way to work that in as well.

Edited by forcetenrushtribute
  • Like 1

1. Spindrift

2. Superconductor

3. I Think I'm Going Bald

4. Tai Shan

5. BU2B2/Rivendell

6. Second Nature

7. Face Up

8. Tai Shan (reprise)

Tai Shan twice in an 8 song set eh? Why not throw some Air Supply and Barry Manilow covers in there as well? :eyeroll:

• Like 1

Alright, this is my conclusion so far. What do you guys think? SOO much left out, but it's a 60 minute set. Made it 7 songs instead of 8 to fit in Xanadu.

1. Force Ten

2. Limelight

3. Time Stand Still

4. Subdivisions

5. Circumstances (ALL of it)

6. Xanadu

7. The Spirit Of Radio

Edited by forcetenrushtribute

Alright, this is my conclusion so far. What do you guys think? SOO much left out, but it's a 60 minute set. Made it 7 songs instead of 8 to fit in Xanadu.

1. Force Ten

2. Limelight

3. Time Stand Still

4. Subdivisions

5. Circumstances (ALL of it)

6. Xanadu

7. The Spirit Of Radio

Don't think too many will complain with that!