Scallops

I LOVE THEM!

What do you think?

Get DRY PACKED scallops, NOT processed. Man processed scallops suck, you cannot sear them because they are soaked in salt water.

Dry packed scallops, washed and placed between sheets of paper towel with a little weight on top will get them ready. Let them sit for at least a half hour like this.

Get the pan hot, with just a spray of oil, sprinkle salt seconds before tossing on. Salt the top (kosher or sea) and place that side down. Let cook until golden brown (like 2 minutes) and sprinkle tops with more salt and flip. Cook another 2 minutes.

Damn they are good.

• Like 3

I am a huge fan of scallops. Large or small. Cooked in any way. They are damn good for sure...

I love them. Here's the thing with most seafood, it tastes the best when prepared in the simplest of ways.

I like to sear them on both sides in an oil/butter combination. Served with a nice simple salad.

Sea scallops = :ebert: . Bay scallops (the tiny ones) aren't worth all the effort.

I LOVE THEM!

What do you think?

Get DRY PACKED scallops, NOT processed. Man processed scallops suck, you cannot sear them because they are soaked in salt water.

Dry packed scallops, washed and placed between sheets of paper towel with a little weight on top will get them ready. Let them sit for at least a half hour like this.

Get the pan hot, with just a spray of oil, sprinkle salt seconds before tossing on. Salt the top (kosher or sea) and place that side down. Let cook until golden brown (like 2 minutes) and sprinkle tops with more salt and flip. Cook another 2 minutes.

Damn they are good.

Like most seafood.........................love em.

Skewer them and wrap them in bacon and grill them.

Just seared in a pan like you describe is good also.

Lots of ways to make them.

• Like 1

I've had those little buggers once in my life, served over cous cous. They were pretty damn good.

I made scallops one night for this old GF of mine… I made them with a simple maple / honey glaze. After she ate them she told I was getting the best blow job of my life that night…

So, after we ate, we started watching a movie and… wait for it… I fell asleep. And so did she, goddam it!

If I was a smarter man, I would have popped the in movie after I received the “best blow job of my life.”

I made scallops one night for this old GF of mine… I made them with a simple maple / honey glaze. After she ate them she told I was getting the best blow job of my life that night…

So, after we ate, we started watching a movie and… wait for it… I fell asleep. And so did she, goddam it!

If I was a smarter man, I would have popped the in movie after I received the “best blow job of my life.”

It seems like at least you have had others to compare it too..... :)
  • Like 1

Now I'm hungry for fried scallops.
  • Like 1

I LOVE THEM!

What do you think?

Damn they are good.

Not exactly sure what you mean by dry packed? Processed?

I cook mine very similar to your method. Except I use a little butter and olive oil. I dry mine, but I just put them between paper towels and put a bit of pressure on them by hand. Then I gently score each side very well. This helps hold the salt and pepper and gives each side a bit of bite or crispness you might say.

No more than one minute per side in a hot pan and allow to rest for at least 3 minutes before serving. I use very thick sea scallops so if you have some that are not so tall, cook them less.

I have no use or interest in bay scallops. They are what restaurants use to make seafood dishes look like they have a lot of seafood in them.

Sea scallops are very expensive.

Edited by John V

Narp>>>>>>> It seems like at least you have had others to compare it too..... :)

She made up for it the next night when I ordered a REALLY good pizza…

I LOVE THEM!

What do you think?

Damn they are good.

Not exactly sure what you mean by dry packed? Processed?

http://www.cookthink.com/reference/708/What_are_dry-packed_scallops

Dry-packed scallops are scallops that are shucked, packed up and shipped on ice without chemical additives.

They taste better than wet-packed (processed) scallops, which are soaked in water and sodium tripolyphosphate, meaning the scallop becomes bloated with water and food additives, resulting in a duller flavor.

Scallops with too much moisture are also less successful in the pan, since excess water seeps out, preventing a flavorful crust from forming on the outside of the scallop as it cooks.

Dry-packed scallops may also have a stickier texture and a slightly more pronounced smell, which is nothing to worry about. They cost more, but have a naturally sweeter taste.

Narp>>>>>>> It seems like at least you have had others to compare it too..... :)

She made up for it the next night when I ordered a REALLY good pizza…

:cheers:

What did I just walk into?! :o

• Like 1

I'm allergic to seafood. :(

I was too at one point, but not too severe. Shrimp made my throat itch... I either grew out of it or by slowly eating some, a little at a time, I built up an immunity

I was too at one point, but not too severe. Shrimp made my throat itch... I either grew out of it or by slowly eating some, a little at a time, I built up an immunity

If there is one thing I can't F with it's my voice. I'm more of a drinker than an eater anyway. :hail:

Thank God I'm not allergic to any food. I love to eat. I couldn't imagine not being able to eat something that I enjoyed.
  • Like 1