The Raw Food Diet

Ya_Big_Tree

I don't usually get personal on here but here it goes:

So with all my problems with my digestion that i have been battling with for years I've decided to try the raw food diet for a bit to detox my gut flora and start from scratch again.

I thought that by eliminating certain foods that were causing me intense pain that it would help but it seems to be getting worse and now there's more foods that are causing me issues as well as feverish hives.

This problem I never had until I became the lab rat for all those medications to treat my bipolar disorder a few years back which some of you may remember. I not only had some "other" damaging effects from the medications but now it seems my digestive tract has gone outta whack. Just a word of caution to other people who think medications can cure everything.

Anyway just wondering if anyone else has had problems with their candida overgrowth or digestion and tried this diet and had success.

I'm only doing it for 1 month to see how it works and then going for another follow up.

I'm hoping it goes well.

Do you eat yogurt? Yogurt is packed with those, "live and active" cultures your innards need to help balance everything out. There's also, "Culturelle" you can try. It's in capsule form and you take one a day. It's a probiotic table and each one contains 15 billion active cultures. I thought the package was pretty expensive (I want to say it was close to $40) for a 30 day pack. Reading the label, even it calls out how certain medications can get your system all out of whack. Might give it a try.

Am I even on the right page? I hope so. Good luck with this.

Oh, and I recall doing the raw food diet many, many years ago. It's ok I guess but it can be a hard diet to follow. And all that raw food can sort of do its own number on your system. Have you started it yet? How's it going?

• Like 2

Do you eat yogurt? Yogurt is packed with those, "live and active" cultures your innards need to help balance everything out. There's also, "Culturelle" you can try. It's in capsule form and you take one a day. It's a probiotic table and each one contains 15 billion active cultures. I thought the package was pretty expensive (I want to say it was close to $40) for a 30 day pack. Reading the label, even it calls out how certain medications can get your system all out of whack. Might give it a try.

Am I even on the right page? I hope so. Good luck with this.

Oh, and I recall doing the raw food diet many, many years ago. It's ok I guess but it can be a hard diet to follow. And all that raw food can sort of do its own number on your system. Have you started it yet? How's it going?

I don't eat yogurt because of my dairy allergy. I even tried greek yogurt a while ago and still had issues.

I'm doing a lot of research before I start because of my absorption issues with Iron and Vitamin B12 mainly I want to make sure I can do this effectively. I will be starting it soon.

Yes this is for health reasons, I'm not trying to follow a diet fad (never been that sorta girl) but a nutritionist recommended it to me to try.

I tried a raw diet a few years ago and it did not agree with me. I've had much better success treating my gut issues by cutting nearly all the sugar out of my diet, and doing heavy and varied probiotic supplementation. Bone broth is also great for gut issues. I drink it daily.

I don't eat yogurt because of my dairy allergy. I even tried greek yogurt a while ago and still had issues.

There is vegan soy-based yogurt that still has the probiotic cultures. Maybe you can give that a try?

Ya Big Tree,

I completely agree with Janie regarding the addition of yogurt s a probiotic to your diet.

The raw food diet is great and will set your system back to right in no time.

Be sure to drink the equivalent of four bottles of water a day to help flush the toxins. (Of course, peeing will be your new hobby).

I am a vegetarian (not a vegan) and here's what helped me along when I had some "issues".

It was pretty strict and most people would die of boredom...

Breakfast - 1 cup of oatmeal, banana, 8oz OJ, and an espresso

Lunch - (although consumed over a period of time as opposed to lunch proper) - Granny Smith apple (to increase oxygen flow), 24 raw almonds, Greek Yogurt, Clif Bar and a 12 oz. Green Tea w/ honey.

Dinner - 1 cup of brown rice with steamed broccoli and mushrooms with a raw tomato. (added carrots, califlower,peppers, etc. for variety.)

Snack/dessert - any kind of berries with granola.

I am really on my way back to where I need to be and feel like my old self again.

All the best to you and encourage D Rock to follow along with you for a greater chance of success.

And don't forget the water!

There is vegan soy-based yogurt that still has the probiotic cultures. Maybe you can give that a try?

There are some good coconut milk yogurts out there too, for those who like to avoid soy. No dairy, and they have the live cultures.

Ya Ya, has anyone suggested eliminating gluten?

There are some good coconut milk yogurts out there too, for those who like to avoid soy. No dairy, and they have the live cultures.

Ya Ya, has anyone suggested eliminating gluten?

Coconut milk yogurts would be better because of the whole soy GMO thing...

My doctor did suspect Celiac Disease at one point so I did have the screening and I was negative but still possibly sensitive to gluten. I'm not a big gluten person anyway so I don't have a problem with eliminating that as well if I have to.

D already said he'd support me fully cause he's the one that's watching me suffer for all these years with my food issues. He won't give up meat ever LOL But he has changed to grass fed only and hardly eats sugar cause I don't. So basically we'll be making seperate dinners for a lil while.

I've been vegan, vegetarian, raw, done juice fasting, etc...

The last time I went all out was before my wedding. The dress I bought was 1 of 10 that had been made for the entire U.S. and only came in a sample size and I was going to squeeze into it regardless of what it took so I did A LOT of juicing. My neighbors LOVED hearing that juicer going off at 6:00 am. Granted, I'm not an expert but I've also done a lot of research, had a nutritionist, and I've had personal experience.

With the symptoms you are describing and what you are trying to accomplish, I don't know if I'd recommend a raw diet but instead a lot of patience and gradual change.

Due to medications, and depending on how long you had your previous diet, also the mention of candida, a strict raw diet is going to send your body into overdrive as far as detox. Your body is releasing tons of toxins that are stored in your liver, intestinal tract, fat cells, etc... The last time I went full on juice fasting, I took time off of work because I knew I'd be dealing with headaches near migraine levels, skin issues, dragon breath, white coating on my tongue, flu-like muscle aches and exhaustion, my mini juice fast, even after I had been eating healthy and working out nearly every day, had me in the house with pain and mental fog for about three days. After my body got over the shock though, I felt and looked better; it will get better for you but right now I think your body is just trying to cleanse and process things it hasn't had the time to.

Like everybody else is mentioning, probiotics are super important! I don't really like yogurt and due to my hormonal issues I've been advised to not eat any dairy so I buy a supplement that is stored in my fridge and take it once a day with a meal, I do notice a difference and it seems to help.

1-0-0-1 has an excellent point regarding gluten. If you think you are having candida issues, get gluten out of your diet ASAP. I've had 4 different health professionals tell me to get rid of gluten for various reasons. One of them is that many gluten based foods turn into glucose, which turn into sugar, which turn into fat (I think that's how it goes), but we know with candida that sugar is what is feeding it.

I wish you luck, I think you will be successful.

Also, this girl is kind of a bit much but if you can get past that I think she has a lot of wisdom and tasty raw recipes www.fullyraw.com.

• Like 2

The last time I went all out was before my wedding. The dress I bought was 1 of 10 that had been made for the entire U.S. and only came in a sample size and I was going to squeeze into it regardless of what it took so I did A LOT of juicing. My neighbors LOVED hearing that juicer going off at 6:00 am. Granted, I'm not an expert but I've also done a lot of research, had a nutritionist, and I've had personal experience.

With the symptoms you are describing and what you are trying to accomplish, I don't know if I'd recommend a raw diet but instead a lot of patience and gradual change.

Due to medications, and depending on how long you had your previous diet, also the mention of candida, a strict raw diet is going to send your body into overdrive as far as detox. Your body is releasing tons of toxins that are stored in your liver, intestinal tract, fat cells, etc... The last time I went full on juice fasting, I took time off of work because I knew I'd be dealing with headaches near migraine levels, skin issues, dragon breath, white coating on my tongue, flu-like muscle aches and exhaustion, my mini juice fast, even after I had been eating healthy and working out nearly every day, had me in the house with pain and mental fog for about three days. After my body got over the shock though, I felt and looked better; it will get better for you but right now I think your body is just trying to cleanse and process things it hasn't had the time to.

Like everybody else is mentioning, probiotics are super important! I don't really like yogurt and due to my hormonal issues I've been advised to not eat any dairy so I buy a supplement that is stored in my fridge and take it once a day with a meal, I do notice a difference and it seems to help.

1-0-0-1 has an excellent point regarding gluten. If you think you are having candida issues, get gluten out of your diet ASAP. I've had 4 different health professionals tell me to get rid of gluten for various reasons. One of them is that many gluten based foods turn into glucose, which turn into sugar, which turn into fat (I think that's how it goes), but we know with candida that sugar is what is feeding it.

Also, this girl is kind of a bit much but if you can get past that I think she has a lot of wisdom and tasty raw recipes www.fullyraw.com.

Thanks GF

I know you've had your issues with your digestion too so you understand my frustrations exactly.

Checking out this chicks website... you're right she is kinda nuts LOL but some really good info. I noticed she ever has the 21 day raw challenge with recipes... maybe I'll use that as a guideline to base my meals on for the period.

I think I'm going to start this on Monday as I have some time to detox safely... getting ready to move so I got lots of time to sit around detox and pack. :LMAO: It's good that I work part time at an organic grocery I can get a ton of fresh food from them this weekend :)

• Like 1

Thanks GF

I know you've had your issues with your digestion too so you understand my frustrations exactly.

Checking out this chicks website... you're right she is kinda nuts LOL but some really good info. I noticed she ever has the 21 day raw challenge with recipes... maybe I'll use that as a guideline to base my meals on for the period.

I think I'm going to start this on Monday as I have some time to detox safely... getting ready to move so I got lots of time to sit around detox and pack. :LMAO: It's good that I work part time at an organic grocery I can get a ton of fresh food from them this weekend :)

Hey do you have a spiralizer?

Thanks GF

Hey do you have a spiralizer?

Seeing as I dunno wtf that is, I'd say no I don't. What is that?

I'm seeing I have to give up coffee... that is going to SUCK. I'm a HUGE caffeine addict. I've tried to get off it before and it was like I had a headache all day every day. :(

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/paderno-sprializer/

So I have one of these and I've used it for carrots and zucchini. I've made a completely raw zucchini "fettucine alfredo". The noddles were obviously the zucchini and then the sauce is made of soaked pine nuts, basil, and some other components, it's pretty good and can save the day if you want to go raw and eat more than salads and carrot sticks. Like I said, I know that fully raw girl is a bit much but she has excellent 100% raw recipes, even desserts, sauces, dressings, etc... that I think are delicious.

Giving up caffeine and going raw is a double-whammy, why are you torturing yourself? lol

I'd recommend just switching to a green tea with caffeine and tons of water with lemon in the morning for energy.

• Like 1

http://www.williams-...rno-sprializer/

So I have one of these and I've used it for carrots and zucchini. I've made a completely raw zucchini "fettucine alfredo". The noddles were obviously the zucchini and then the sauce is made of soaked pine nuts, basil, and some other components, it's pretty good and can save the day if you want to go raw and eat more than salads and carrot sticks. Like I said, I know that fully raw girl is a bit much but she has excellent 100% raw recipes, even desserts, sauces, dressings, etc... that I think are delicious.

Giving up caffeine and going raw is a double-whammy, why are you torturing yourself? lol

I'd recommend just switching to a green tea with caffeine and tons of water with lemon in the morning for energy.

Ya... I have tons of green tea. Hot water with lemon in the morning is usually how I start my day. I still need my coffee... I'm going to try and give that up. As soon as I smell it tho when D makes it in the morning Im going to go insane... This should be fun. :LOL: Thankfully he's being VERY supportive of me through this.

That contraption looks interesting. Like I said we're moving but maybe once we are settled in I could get one if I think staying raw is best for me. Already with the info Im reading I think this might be very healing to my intestines.

• Like 1

Ya... I have tons of green tea. Hot water with lemon in the morning is usually how I start my day.

Not everyone likes it, but I peel fresh ginger (about 1/2 an inch), slice it thin then put it in my warm lemon water. Ginger has a soothing effect on the digestive tract (as I am sure you're aware) and it also aids in detox. I actually look forward to it first thing in the morning.

When I need to hit the reset button (which I am also doing starting Monday), I prefer to just bite the bullet and go strictly juice for a week or two, then slowly integrate solid foods back into my diet, starting with mostly veggies. That whole process takes 4-5 weeks, so it's a commitment for sure. I've also done the raw food thing and found that my "detox fog" didn't last as long when I did strictly juicing. It's not for everyone, but it seems to have worked for me.

Best of luck! I've struggled on and off with digestive troubles for years myself, so I hope you can find that balance that you need!

• Like 1

Ya... I have tons of green tea. Hot water with lemon in the morning is usually how I start my day.

Not everyone likes it, but I peel fresh ginger (about 1/2 an inch), slice it thin then put it in my warm lemon water. Ginger has a soothing effect on the digestive tract (as I am sure you're aware) and it also aids in detox. I actually look forward to it first thing in the morning.

When I need to hit the reset button (which I am also doing starting Monday), I prefer to just bite the bullet and go strictly juice for a week or two, then slowly integrate solid foods back into my diet, starting with mostly veggies. That whole process takes 4-5 weeks, so it's a commitment for sure. I've also done the raw food thing and found that my "detox fog" didn't last as long when I did strictly juicing. It's not for everyone, but it seems to have worked for me.

Best of luck! I've struggled on and off with digestive troubles for years myself, so I hope you can find that balance that you need!

Yeah I wanna start juicing too. Going to invest in a good juicer once we're done moving. For now Im going to make vegan smoothies and eat lots of fresh salads and cool foods I found on this website: http://www.rawfoodrecipes.com/recipes/category/main-course.html

• Like 1

I could never do this - ulcerative colitis and certain raw vegetables irritate (think rough, scratchy fiber). I can eat salads just fine as long as I'm careful about what goes in them, but for the most part I'm better off with cooked vegetables. I don't think I could stomach most of the juice concoctions I've read about, though I know people swear they're delicious!

There's a raw-only movement among the meat eating crunchyheads as well. I can't remember the article but if featured an insanely healthy and youthful woman who ate quite a lot of raw steak.

This all seems like so much work. More power to all who can be so disciplined. Doubt I ever could....

This all seems like so much work. More power to all who can be so disciplined. Doubt I ever could....

It's easy once you get it down. You just don't eat things in packages for the most part. You just eat what mother earth has grown for you... with ranch dressing.

(I eat a lot of my veggies with ranch)

Edited by gangsterfurious
  • Like 1

Ugh... I can't eat ranch it has dairy in it! :P

Actually I made something f***ing fantastic for dinner last night that was "mostly raw" all vegan.

http://www.thisrawsomeveganlife.com/2014/02/marinated-zucchini-tomato-lasagna-with.html#.UyXrNyJ6jSV

Even D-RocK- loved it and wants me to make it again! :D

• Like 1

Follow Your Heart makes Vegan ranch and thousand island and they are really good. I buy them at Whole Paycheck Foods.
  • Like 2

Follow Your Heart makes Vegan ranch and thousand island and they are really good. I buy them at Whole Paycheck Foods.

Hmm... does it have gluten in it? A lot of those vegan creamy dressings I've been seeing at the store are loaded with gluten and preservatives which means I can't eat them. :(

I'm going to make a simple dressing with avocado, blood orange, fresh parsley, garlic all in a blender and see how that is on a salad. :)

• Like 1