Favorite releases of 2014/What are you looking forward to?

adace1

So far 2014 is shaping up to be a phenomenal year just like 2013. What are you enjoying and what are you looking forward to?

In no particular order:

1.Mogwai - Rave Tapes

2.Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon

3.Hail Spirit Noir - Oi Magoi

4.Alcest - Shelter

5.Periphery - Clear

6.Woods of Desolation - As the Stars

7.Transatlantic - Kaleidoscope

8.Truckfighters - Universe

9.Murmur - Murmur

10.Behemoth - The Satanist

11.Cynic - Kindly Bent to Free Us

12.Crosses - Crosses

13.Kuolemanlaakso - Tulijoutsen

14.Lost in the Trees - Past Life

15.Hannes Grossmann - The Radial Covenant

16.Tycho - Awake

17.Sunn O)))/Ulver - Terrestrials

Looking forward to:

Opeth

Agalloch

Devin Townsend

Animals as Leaders

Steven Wilson

Johnny Cash

Ian Anderson

Sonata Arctica

Gamma Ray

Sabaton

Mastodon

Anathema

Coldplay

Wintersun

Epica

Panopticon

Overkill

Testament

Threshold

Septic Flesh

Electric Wizard

Insomnium

Triptykon

Ne Obliviscaris

Swans

Wolves in the Throne Room

At the Gates

In Flames

Pallbearer

Nokturnal Mortum

Edited by adace1

You sure listen to a lot adace! It's always impressed me.

I'm looking forward to Sonata Arctica - Parhiah's Child, and I will check out Wintersun's 2nd part of Time, though I think the band would have been legendary if their self titled album was all they ever released, they can only go downhill from here unfortunately. Jari's still a genius, and I might in fact prefer Ensiferum as I listen to them more. But as always, time will tell.

I also hope Stratovarius starts working on a new album soon.

• Like 1

Wow. I suck.... :codger: :eh:

Nothing wrong with being old skool brother ...

I have to laugh at myself :LMAO: I have heard of Johnny Cash at least...
  • Like 1

Nothing wrong with being old skool brother ...

I have to laugh at myself :LMAO: I have heard of Johnny Cash at least...

I don't have a clue about current music and what's going to be coming out soon either.

No particular order:

1. Marissa Nadler - July

2. Atomic Ape - Swarm

3. SONAR - Static Motion

4. Peter Hammill & Gary Lucas - Other World

5. Thumbscrew - Thumbscrew

6. Dream the Electric Sleep - Heretics

7. Alcest - Shelter

8. Deluge Grander - Heliotions

9. Sunn 0))) & Ulver - Terrestrial

10. Susan Clynes - Life Is...

Looking forward to Anathema, Devin Townsend, Iamthemorning, Phideaux, Opeth, Agalloch, Matt Stevens, Susanne Sundfør, Ian Anderson, Hydras Dream, and a couple of others.

I also need to get a few that have been already released, including Pat Metheny Unity Group, Cynic, Univers Zero, Mike Oldfield, and Mogwai, however, I probably won't get to those until the summer, at the earliest.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ
  • Like 3

Bruce Springsteen - High Hopes

Benmont Tench - You Should Be So Lucky

upcoming from what I've read and heard:

Black Keys

Tom Petty

I'm also thinking of trying out Beck's new album since I hear people say it's his best since Sea Change. I need to get into more of his albums, now that I mention it. I only have Sea Change, Odelay and Midnite Vultures.

Really enjoying Sun Kil Moon, Beck, Mike Oldfield, Mogwai & The Gloaming.

Looking forward to the new Matt Stevens & Crippled Black Phoenix records.

Cool to see another SKM fan on here. Although, I must confess I haven't adored anything since Ghosts of the Great Highway, and only mildly enjoyed April.

I'm looking forward to the new Chris Robinson Brotherhood album. I was interested to hear Danger Mouse's influence on U2's new material, but that has been pushed back to 2015. Maybe a new Tool album later this year? I haven't been paying attention to new release lists. Rumor is that the next Dylan bootleg series set will concern Blood on the Tracks. I'd be most excited about that if true.

Bruce Springsteen - High Hopes

Benmont Tench - You Should Be So Lucky

upcoming from what I've read and heard:

Black Keys

Tom Petty

I'm also thinking of trying out Beck's new album since I hear people say it's his best since Sea Change. I need to get into more of his albums, now that I mention it. I only have Sea Change, Odelay and Midnite Vultures.

I've been considering checking out the Benmont Tench album. I'm a huge Petty/Heartbreakers fan. Does Benmont sing? How are the songs?

Not much but here's my list...

1. Alcest - Shelter

2. Cynic - Kindly Bent To Free Us

3. Sunn O)))/Ulver - Terrestrial

4. Lustre/Elderwind - Through The Ocean To The Stars (Split EP)

5. Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks - Wig Out At Jagbags

I would really love to buy the actual CD for the Lustre/Elderwind split EP cause that was one release I was really looking forward to since late last year but since it's limited to 100 copies they might've been all gone now, but I listened to it through the record label's Bandcamp.

Looking forward to:

Steven Wilson (though it might be released next year)

Opeth

Mastodon

Sonata Arctica

Tool (if there's even the slightest chance of it ever happening this year or at all)

Anathema

Swans

And probably a few more that I'll find out about eventually...

Surprisingly, I actually enjoyed that new song Coldplay released which says a lot from someone who flat out dislikes Coldplay (they just don't click with me for some reason) and I now have a slight interest in actually listening to their new album. I heard great things about Beck's new album and I definitely want to check that out.

1.Mogwai - Rave Tapes

I was conversing with a nice bloke at a concert I recently attended and he name dropped Mogwai as one of the bands that he thought I might enjoy. Was going to check them out anyway, but now that I know they recently released a new album this year, I'll definitely give the new album of their's a spin.

• Like 1

Anticipating new They Might Be Giants and Owl City Albums. Also it has been a while since Animal collective has released anything.

The only new release of 2014 that I've heard is Croz by David Crosby.

4. Peter Hammill & Gary Lucas - Other World

Although I would be interested in hearing this.

I am looking forward to the new release of Rush debut album on vinyl.

I pre-ordered it in yesterday and cant wait untill its comming to my mailbox! :)

Don't worry about it. Most of the bands listed in the first post are obscure metal bands nobody's heard of anyways.

none of em are very obscure

Don't worry about it. Most of the bands listed in the first post are obscure metal bands nobody's heard of anyways.

Ok guys which is it? Should I feel old, detached from anything current and like sh*t or not? :huh:

Ok guys which is it? Should I feel old, detached from anything current and like sh*t or not? :huh:

No, don't feel detached. Unless you're a metal fan like me or Bathory, you're simply not gonna have any idea who most of those bands are.

• Like 1

No, don't feel detached. Unless you're a metal fan like me or Bathory, you're simply not gonna have any idea who most of those bands are.

Thanks man. bathory, don't come by here and f**k this up either..... :D

Update (boiled down my list + added a few new ones):

1. Alcest - Shelter: Shoegaze. Completely different style for them but no less beautiful. Probably my album of the year so far.

2. Animals as Leaders - The Joy of Motion: Instrumental prog metal. Not as good as their debut but still fantastic. Tosin Abasi is hands down one of the greatest guitarists.

3. Woods of Desolation - As the Stars: Black metal and shoegaze. A really emotional, uplifting album that's heavy at the same time.

4. Hail Spirit Noir - Oi Magoi: Black metal meets King Crimson-style prog rock. Highly unique to say the least.

5. Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon: Power/heavy metal with a touch of thrash. A bit stripped down from their previous one but it's all the more fun and exciting. Stu Block's vocals really shine here.

6. Crosses - Crosses: Chino Moreno of Deftones' electronic/rock side project. Beautiful, catchy songs with an experimental edge.

7. Gamma Ray - Empire of the Undead: Power/heavy metal. Much better than their previous album. Every song is memorable and fun. Influences from classic bands such as Priest, Maiden, and Metallica.

8. Triptykon - Melana Chasmata: Death/doom/thrash. Featuring Tom G. Warrior of Celtic Frost fame, this is an abysmally dark adventure through the netherworld. His vocals are something to be marveled at.

9. Insomnium - Shadows of the Dying Sun: Melancholic melodic death metal (recommended for Opeth fans). Not too different from their previous material but definitely their best since Above the Weeping World.

10. Lantlos - Melting Sun: Post-metal/post-rock. Former black metal band makes a gorgeous, uplifting post-metal record. The metal brother of the new Alcest album.