3 questions about America's sweetheart.  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Where will Danica's team finish in owners' points this year?

• In the Chase
    • Outside the Chase but in the top 20
    • 21-30
    • 31+
  2. 2. If Richard Petty and Danica raced, who would win?

• The King
    • The Go Daddy Girl
  3. 3. If there were a ranking of all of the racers in the world (and no one could come from another type of racing), where would Danica rank as a stock car driver?

• Top 20
    • 21-40
    • Top 100
    • Top 1000
    • Not even in the top thousand

Well, NASCAR is back in action and Danica is off to another sizzling start, finishing 36th and 39th at Daytona and Phoenix. Her team is now a lofty 41st in owners points.

A Danica poll has been included above for your voting pleasure

Go Danica!

I thought she was in the other one, CART racing?

That was a while ago. When she left the sceptered isle she went to CART (which is basically IndyCar) but decided to switch to NASCAR because a) there's more $$$ there and b ) they race 36 times a year rather than 15.

Why is Indy Car racing now known as CART, they still look like CARS to me?

And why is there more $$$ in NASCAR racing, apart from the fact that there's more races? Is it because NASCAR cars look more like "normal" cars so they can relate to them more, and Indy Cars look like Formula One cars?

Why is Indy Car racing now known as CART, they still look like CARS to me?

And why is there more $$$ in NASCAR racing, apart from the fact that there's more races? Is it because NASCAR cars look more like "normal" cars so they can relate to them more, and Indy Cars look like Formula One cars?

CART actually no longer exists (it stood for Championship Auto Racing Teams), but it has to do with the ownership of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, competing organizations, and too many foreigners in the series. It's too long to get into here, as it doesn't increase my post count fast enough. :)

Plus, Gene Simmons got involved with the Indy Racing League.

Prior to about 1990 or so Indy racing was actually slightly more popular but the internecine warfare w/i the Indy Car world killed that (the best drivers weren't in the biggest race for about 5 years or so) and NASCAR took advantage and hasn't looked back.

The problem is that I have seen her tramp stamp and that is such a turn off. Bleh.

I wish she would go away.

I'm gonna call it now. Her best finish of the year comes tomorrow (today). Only top-10 of the year.

Only 22 places off. But she was only 6 laps down, and is now 29th in drivers points. :cheerleader:

If Jay Carney ever decides to pack it in, the writer here might be an acceptable replacement...

Without the wave around and lucky dog she would have been 5 laps down. Must be tough to work for this team when these are the goals.

Danica Patrick’s goals in Saturday night’s Southern 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Darlington (S.C.) Raceway were simple: Race the racetrack and take what the car and the track would give. Patrick’s crew chief, Tony Gibson, told his driver that if she focused on those things throughout the night at one of the toughest racetracks on the Sprint Cup circuit, she would have a good night and a solid finish.

When the checkered flag waved, it was mission accomplished for Patrick and her No. 10 GoDaddy team for Stewart-Haas Racing (SHR) as she ended up with a solid 22nd-place finish.

“Tonight was such a big improvement for us from where we have been in the past at this track,” said Patrick, who made her 54th career Sprint Cup start and her third at Darlington. “The guys gave me a really drivable GoDaddy Chevy, and we kept making improvements to it all night. I just needed it to turn a little better. I’m just really proud of Tony Gibson and all the guys tonight. The guys on pit road did a great job all night long, and really, it was just a good night for me and the entire team. We’ll take this and look forward to the next race after a well-deserved break.”

Patrick battled a tight-handling racecar from the drop of the green flag, but she was able to give feedback to Gibson and her crew that helped them make improvements to her GoDaddy Chevy at each stop. Despite going a lap down early in the race, Patrick and the crew did not give up.

Instead, they continued work to improve the car in the pits, and Patrick worked to put herself in position on the racetrack to get back onto the lead lap.

Throughout the night, the crew made a series of trackbar, wedge and tire-pressure adjustments throughout the race, while also making a shock adjustment to help improve the handling of the racecar. The crew also took advantage of both the wave-around rule and the “Lucky Dog,” which allowed Patrick to get back on the lead lap.

The changes made the car better throughout the night, and by the end of the race, Patrick was solidly in the top 25, finishing in 22nd-place.

Gibson agreed that the night was a success for Patrick and the entire team.

“We talked about it starting on Monday at the shop,” Gibson said. “I told Danica to focus on racing the racetrack, and if you focus on that, you’re always going to get a good finish. And that’s just what she did tonight. She gave good feedback on the car all night, which helped us to keep working on it and making it better for her. A 22nd-place, lead-lap finish at Darlington is a big improvement for us from last year. I’m really happy with what Danica and this whole GoDaddy team did tonight.”

http://www.stewarthaasracing.com/media/index.php?fromNews=1&article=1465

About that Darlington race... Easily the most entertaining race of the year for both N'wide and Cup IMO. Chase Elliot storming from sixth to 1st in the last 2 laps Friday night, then Harvick fighting through the field for the win on Saturday. Just awsome racing all around.

So, thanks to NASCAR for cutting Darlington to one race a year. :rage:

About that Darlington race... Easily the most entertaining race of the year for both N'wide and Cup IMO. Chase Elliot storming from sixth to 1st in the last 2 laps Friday night, then Harvick fighting through the field for the win on Saturday. Just awsome racing all around.

So, thanks to NASCAR for cutting Darlington to one race a year. :rage:

Gotta have those two races a year at Pocono and New Hampshire. :wacko:

Darlington is absolutely my favorite track currently on the circuit.

What a great race by Chase Elliott! That was the best race of the year at any level. Two in a row out of the first seven races of his career...incredible! And the driving he did to get it was most impressive...

If Jay Carney ever decides to pack it in, the writer here might be an acceptable replacement...

Without the wave around and lucky dog she would have been 5 laps down. Must be tough to work for this team when these are the goals.

Danica Patrick’s goals in Saturday night’s Southern 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Darlington (S.C.) Raceway were simple: Race the racetrack and take what the car and the track would give. Patrick’s crew chief, Tony Gibson, told his driver that if she focused on those things throughout the night at one of the toughest racetracks on the Sprint Cup circuit, she would have a good night and a solid finish.

When the checkered flag waved, it was mission accomplished for Patrick and her No. 10 GoDaddy team for Stewart-Haas Racing (SHR) as she ended up with a solid 22nd-place finish.

“Tonight was such a big improvement for us from where we have been in the past at this track,” said Patrick, who made her 54th career Sprint Cup start and her third at Darlington. “The guys gave me a really drivable GoDaddy Chevy, and we kept making improvements to it all night. I just needed it to turn a little better. I’m just really proud of Tony Gibson and all the guys tonight. The guys on pit road did a great job all night long, and really, it was just a good night for me and the entire team. We’ll take this and look forward to the next race after a well-deserved break.”

Patrick battled a tight-handling racecar from the drop of the green flag, but she was able to give feedback to Gibson and her crew that helped them make improvements to her GoDaddy Chevy at each stop. Despite going a lap down early in the race, Patrick and the crew did not give up.

Instead, they continued work to improve the car in the pits, and Patrick worked to put herself in position on the racetrack to get back onto the lead lap.

Throughout the night, the crew made a series of trackbar, wedge and tire-pressure adjustments throughout the race, while also making a shock adjustment to help improve the handling of the racecar. The crew also took advantage of both the wave-around rule and the “Lucky Dog,” which allowed Patrick to get back on the lead lap.

The changes made the car better throughout the night, and by the end of the race, Patrick was solidly in the top 25, finishing in 22nd-place.

Gibson agreed that the night was a success for Patrick and the entire team.

“We talked about it starting on Monday at the shop,” Gibson said. “I told Danica to focus on racing the racetrack, and if you focus on that, you’re always going to get a good finish. And that’s just what she did tonight. She gave good feedback on the car all night, which helped us to keep working on it and making it better for her. A 22nd-place, lead-lap finish at Darlington is a big improvement for us from last year. I’m really happy with what Danica and this whole GoDaddy team did tonight.”

http://www.stewarthaasracing.com/media/index.php?fromNews=1&article=1465

was that from The Onion?

So, Dega qualifying today. The same clusterf*** idea they use at nonplate tracks.

The number of cars that will wreck in this idiotic idea will be either 0 (if the drivers use common sense) or half the field (if not all of them do). This may be the worst idea NASCAR has ever had, doing this here.

If I was a locked in driver, I would either not take time (if I could and still race) or run one lap by myself. Pit selection is about the only thing that matters about qualifying at Daytona. On the other hand, those that aren't locked in are going to be driving pretty recklessly. I don't see how we're going to avoid a big one today.

Here's an interesting one:

Who will finish higher in a fast car tomorrow? Ryan Blaney driving for Penske or Danika Patrick driving for Stewart Haas.

Both have pretty fast pieces, from two of the best teams in the sport right now. Ryan Blaney is making his first career start, Danika has a year+ under her belt.

My money's on Blaney.

Here's an interesting one:

Who will finish higher in a fast car tomorrow? Ryan Blaney driving for Penske or Danika Patrick driving for Stewart Haas.

Both have pretty fast pieces, from two of the best teams in the sport right now. Ryan Blaney is making his first career start, Danika has a year+ under her belt.

My money's on Blaney.

Good question. I'd have to agree, though it's by no means a sure thing. The only thing is that Danica's got the better pit crew and an actual team that is together on an ongoing basis and not put together for one or a few intermittent weeks. I think Blaney outrunning her is more likely than outfinishing her.