Dennis DeYoung of Styx on Rush's 2112

clem

Wow, there is a video Gayer than "Time Stand Still".

You had to use that word.

I know you are probably not a big fan of using that word in that context and I don't but I really think at least the majority of the time there is no malicious intent meant when people use it that way. I doubt that helps any and I probably shouldn't even post this but I just wanted you to know somebody else noticed. Words can hurt for sure but how bad does this one bother you when used in this way? Just curious and always trying to learn something every day in this life.... :)

If the world uses the same word to describe you, and many people also use that word as an insult, don't you think that would hurt?

Geez man I was just trying to empathize some and ask a question because I was sincerely curious. Pardon me...

I was just answering your question. Rather matter-of-factly, I might add.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWS0GVOQPs0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pele5vptVgc

Wow, there is a video Gayer than "Time Stand Still".

You had to use that word.

I know you are probably not a big fan of using that word in that context and I don't but I really think at least the majority of the time there is no malicious intent meant when people use it that way. I doubt that helps any and I probably shouldn't even post this but I just wanted you to know somebody else noticed. Words can hurt for sure but how bad does this one bother you when used in this way? Just curious and always trying to learn something every day in this life.... :)

If the world uses the same word to describe you, and many people also use that word as an insult, don't you think that would hurt?

Geez man I was just trying to empathize some and ask a question because I was sincerely curious. Pardon me...

I was just answering your question. Rather matter-of-factly, I might add.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWS0GVOQPs0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pele5vptVgc

Thanks Led but I was really looking for the opinion of our seemingly very angry, young, very thin skinned (see his posts), gay (nothing wrong with this of course) member. He decided not to answer my question which is cool too. Again I appreciate the education.... :)

Neil Peart who wrote the lyrics and story of 2112 based his concept on an Ayn Rand book entitled Anthem. He has since denounced his love of her writings and blamed it on the musings of his youth

Can anyone expand on this for me?

Neil Peart who wrote the lyrics and story of 2112 based his concept on an Ayn Rand book entitled Anthem. He has since denounced his love of her writings and blamed it on the musings of his youth

Can anyone expand on this for me?

Peart (and to a lesser extent Al and Ged) were heavily influenced by Ayn Rand, an objectivist author. The song "Anthem" is a title of one of her novellas, and the themes in that song and others like "Something for Nothing" were heavily influenced by this philosophy. Neil claims to have written 2112 and not noticed similarities to "Anthem" (the book), and when he did notice them, he added something like "inspired by the genius [misprinted as "genus" in the US] of Ayn Rand". In some interviews, he would even talk about his libertarian/objectivist beliefs, which once got the band labeled fascists by a UK music critic. [Objectivism/libertarianism are actually the opposite of fascism, but many liberals don't care about such technicalities.] The band has said they found the accusation hurtful, especially given that Ged's parents spent time in concentration camps in WWII. Later, Neil has stated that he's no one disciple, and he considers himself more of a bleeding heart libertarian now. Ged and Al have maintained that they liked Rand's position on artistic integrity, not her political views.

This is documented in many places, including Beyond the Lighted Stage.

The strain of libertarianism in early Rush songs is why the band is often loved by conservatives, and why the SOCN political part of this forum probably has a higher percentage of libertarians than any other major band forum has.

• Like 2