I think it's a little effed up that they are going to charge you to play an alpha version of the game. If they want people to test it and give feedback they should't be charging to play.

I read some reviews and it looks like DayZ plays like a very old school MMO where you have to fear both the environment and other players, nothing is easy to achieve and the penalties for failure are severe. I would love it if I was back in college/high school and had the time to play it. Sounds like my kind of game. I am betting this won't be a hit in today's market though. Everyone wants easy sauce gaming now days and this game will only target a very small, niche market.

I have been reading the forums on their website. I might have to give this one a go. It seems that everyone dies and often and gear and weapons does not equal survival. At this point it is a very level playing field.

From what I've seen you do die a lot, and having tons of weapons does not mean you're sure to survive long.

Here is a link to a guy with quite a few vids, has good narrative and really gives you a real idea of what the game is about.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dayz%20blackout%20diary&sm=3

I have been reading the forums on their website. I might have to give this one a go. It seems that everyone dies and often and gear and weapons does not equal survival. At this point it is a very level playing field.

From what I've seen you do die a lot, and having tons of weapons does not mean you're sure to survive long.

Here is a link to a guy with quite a few vids, has good narrative and really gives you a real idea of what the game is about.

https://www.youtube....kout diary&sm=3

I just envision a game that turns into a power gamer haven where the guys who live in Moms basement and play 20 hrs a day have characters that cannot be killed by new players or players with little playtime. Then you just have a bunch of high level players griefing the community all the time.

https://www.youtube....kout diary&sm=3

I just envision a game that turns into a power gamer haven where the guys who live in Moms basement and play 20 hrs a day have characters that cannot be killed by new players or players with little playtime. Then you just have a bunch of high level players griefing the community all the time.

I can see that as well.

I used to play Bioshock 2 online and would get mauled the people with nothing but time to play all day long. It really killed it for me. But with Dayz there is a huge amount of space to travel/hide in. Don't know if that would make it any better. Ultimately if there is no goal or final outcome of the game it'll just be the same old thing, hide shoot, run which gets boring fast.

It is indeed addictive, but what is great is you can log off any time and start back at the same place with the same gear, so you can play just as you have time. It is soooo frustrating to die that you end up being VERY careful (falling, getting followed or killed by other people, etc). Last time I died and had to start over I went up into a house to eat/drink and clean up my gear (sew torn clothes, etc) and I see 5 bandits (other players) armed. I aim out the window with my m4 (had 1000 rounds of ammo, stocked to the hilt) and shot the one in the head - dead. The other 4 come running towards the house and two bolt up the stairs and I took them out too. Waited like 15 minutes just to see if the other two would come out. Stupid me, I ended up bored and went out and was ambushed by the remaining two... Live and learn.

The game is fun though and you have freedom to do what you want. A friend and I went online one Sunday night and took about 5 or 6 hostages/handcuffed them and marched their asses up the coast forcing them to eat rotten fruit. Once in a while one would try to run (hard to do when handcuffed) and we would need to take their pants off or something to punish them :)

I think it's a little effed up that they are going to charge you to play an alpha version of the game. If they want people to test it and give feedback they should't be charging to play.

I read some reviews and it looks like DayZ plays like a very old school MMO where you have to fear both the environment and other players, nothing is easy to achieve and the penalties for failure are severe. I would love it if I was back in college/high school and had the time to play it. Sounds like my kind of game. I am betting this won't be a hit in today's market though. Everyone wants easy sauce gaming now days and this game will only target a very small, niche market.

1.5 million people have paid for it, so it looks like their $60 million revenue shows that people were and are very willing to pay for it. Keep in mind when you buy the $39 alpha version, you will get the beta and retail when they come out as well. I have already gotten my $39 out if it by far.

Has the community change in the standalone? I recall the mod having an incredibly toxic community.

Not sure what you mean by toxic, but no different than any other gaming community. With Dayz people get really pissed at "Bambie Killers" - people who have just died and respawned on the beach starting all over again. But bambies are fun to f**k with. Sometimes I will put a can of soup in the middle of the road and sit in the bushes and wait for someone to come pick it up. Sometimes it is a bambie who ends up starting over yet again :) or it is a bandit who has lots of ammo and food that I can take off him (if I don't shoot his body and ruin everything he is carrying)...

Another favorite of mine is to get a paper and pen and write on the paper "f**k you" or "Bang Bang you're dead" and leave it again in the middle of a road and wait for someone to come read it :)

And edit to add - it depends on my mood, sometimes I will find bambies and give them food and a compass or something to get them started...

Edited by Mike2112

Has the community change in the standalone? I recall the mod having an incredibly toxic community.

Not sure what you mean by toxic, but no different than any other gaming community. With Dayz people get really pissed at "Bambie Killers" - people who have just died and respawned on the beach starting all over again. But bambies are fun to f**k with. Sometimes I will put a can of soup in the middle of the road and sit in the bushes and wait for someone to come pick it up. Sometimes it is a bambie who ends up starting over yet again :) or it is a bandit who has lots of ammo and food that I can take off him (if I don't shoot his body and ruin everything he is carrying)...

Another favorite of mine is to get a paper and pen and write on the paper "f**k you" or "Bang Bang you're dead" and leave it again in the middle of a road and wait for someone to come read it :)

And edit to add - it depends on my mood, sometimes I will find bambies and give them food and a compass or something to get them started...

So you are one of the ones that everyone on the forums rails on about!! :laughing guy:

If I played I would play like you.