The Official QUADROPHENIA Thread

Lorraine

I don't think we have a thread just for this album, so I thought I would start one since I know that a few here love the album as much as I do.

I'm a sucker for the piano, and I just love Pete's piano playing on the instrumental songs off the album. The few instrumentals on the album are some of the most beautiful - in my opinion. I especially like The Rock.

As for songs with lyrics, two of my favorites:

1. I've Had Enough - I own every single line in this song (except about the GS scooter and seersucker jacket :cool:) . And I absolutely love how the song goes in and out of Love Reign O'er Me.

Whenever I had a rough day ahead that required an unusual amount of chutzpah, this would be the last song I would play on the stereo before I left the house. For me, it was not only a song with a lot of energy, but one that strengthened the backbone (if that makes any sense) and made me feel on top of the world. Back then, in 1974, there were no ipods or MP3 players or even walkmans. I remember wishing that someone would invent something so that we could bring our music with us.

2. Is It In My Head

I pick up phones and hear my history

I dream of all the calls I missed

I try to number those who love me

And find exactly what the trouble is

Just wanted to get the ball rolling. There's much more to the album than just these two songs. :)

• Like 4

I love Rock , a lot , and I have listened to many Rock albums as I can since those good old days in the 70`s and beyond .

So I thnk I may know a bit or a lot about Rock albums .

So when the question comes up

"What`s the best Rock Album ever made ?"

Quadrophenia . simple . :cool:

I`m ready for the debate . :yes:

• Like 3

I love Rock , a lot , and I have listened to many Rock albums as I can since those good old days in the 70`s and beyond .

What, in your opinion, makes it the best?

Oh ! good question .

And I need a good hour , to answer it , so tomorrow , it will have my full attention . :D

Edited by By Tor
  • Like 1

Oh ! good question .

And I need a good hour , to answer it , so tomorrow , it will have my full attention . :D

Don't forget to come back. I am particularly interested if you happen to know a lot about music. For me, I just listen. I know nothing about the technicalities of playing instruments, how hard some things are to play etc.

So, I'm interested in hearing about that aspect of the album. All I know is that Pete played most of the instruments himself. And wrote the whole album himself - lyrics and music. :eh: Having no musical talents, I find a man like Pete Townshend phenomenal.

• Like 1

Yay, love this album. I went to the 1997 Quadrophenia show in what I think was Fort Lauderdale. Nice to have actually seen John Entwhistle onstage, even if I did have a lawn seat way out in the mud and the stage was really, really far away. But yeah, Pete Townshend's world is weird to say the least. Pretty accurate, though.
  • Like 1

Yay, love this album. I went to the 1997 Quadrophenia show in what I think was Fort Lauderdale. Nice to have actually seen John Entwhistle onstage, even if I did have a lawn seat way out in the mud and the stage was really, really far away. But yeah, Pete Townshend's world is weird to say the least. Pretty accurate, though.

I'm sure they sounded better in 1997 than when I saw them on the Quadrophenia tour in 1974. That was a major disappointment music sounding wise, as most concerts were back then. Not so today with all of the new technology. We didn't have that then. The high point was Pete doing somersaults across the stage with his guitar. Don't ask how he managed it without breaking his skull, but he did manage to do it. Even Keith behaved that night. Well. Kind of. I think he smashed something. I just can't remember what.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

Oh ! good question .

That is so funny, because I need some time to properly respond to this thread as well.

I will say that Quadrophenia is my favourite album by The Who and one of the best albums ever recorded.

Now, time to put me thinking cap back on!

• Like 1

Oh ! good question .

That is so funny, because I need some time to properly respond to this thread as well.

I will say that Quadrophenia is my favourite album by The Who and one of the best albums ever recorded.

Now, time to put me thinking cap back on!

You know, dear friend, I would love to hear what you have to say!

• Like 1

I just want to say this is one of my favorite albums of all time. When I get home and am able to get onto the computer and organize my thoughts I'll write a more detailed response. :)
  • Like 2

best who album for me

Why? You are so young, I am curious as to what it is about the album.

Bathory, do you think if this album had never been released in 1973 and was released instead in 2014, if it would be well received by your generation?

• Like 1

I just want to say this is one of my favorite albums of all time. When I get home and am able to get onto the computer and organize my thoughts I'll write a more detailed response. :)

Do you know I even remember buying the album? That was forty years ago. I can't say that for very many other albums I had.

It was my friend Bob who one day said to me, "You know Lorraine, you should go get The Who's Quadrophenia. You'll love it!" So, I did, and he was right. Thank you, Bob!

• Like 1

Do you know I even remember buying the album? That was forty years ago. I can't say that for very many other albums I had.

It was my friend Bob who one day said to me, "You know Lorraine, you should go get The Who's Quadrophenia. You'll love it!" So, I did, and he was right. Thank you, Bob!

Oh heck yeah I remember buying it. I became a fan right around the time Who's Next came out. I remember dragging my mom to the record store to buy that one too. :LOL: I love the LP version of Quadrophenia. I still have it. That huge double album with the big booklet in the center. I used to sit and look at that thing for hours.

• Like 2

:blush: I have never owned or ever listened to a Who album in my life. The only exposure I have ever had to the band is radio play... Weird huh? :)
  • Like 1

:blush: I have never owned or ever listened to a Who album in my life. The only exposure I have ever had to the band is radio play... Weird huh? :)

Wow. Just wow. Do yourself a favor and pick up Quadrophenia. Trust me you won't regret it.

• Like 1

Wow. Just wow. Do yourself a favor and pick up Quadrophenia. Trust me you won't regret it.

I never said I was normal... :LOL:

Well, they are not for everyone. We all have different musical tastes. But one thing that we all have in common here - we love :rush: .

• Like 1

I never said I was normal... :LOL:

What does being normal have to do with being on TRF? :rfl:

• Like 1

Well, they are not for everyone. We all have different musical tastes. But one thing that we all have in common here - we love :rush: .

Amen, and seeing your name and avatar again warms my heart more than you know.... :rose: :) Edited by Narpzilla
  • Like 1

Thats just so wrong. You really need to open your mind a bit and do some exploring.

• Like 2

Thats just so wrong. You really need to open your mind a bit and do some exploring.

I don't disagree. I had this thing in the 70's especially where I had an imaginary line sort of drawn. What is popular music and what is "my" music. Not sure if that makes sense or not. For me the same is true of The Beatles and Rolling Stones too. No albums or listens either except for radio play. I do like The Beatles music however. I am pretty sure I will never be a Stones fan though... :)

best who album for me

Why? You are so young, I am curious as to what it is about the album.

Bathory, do you think if this album had never been released in 1973 and was released instead in 2014, if it would be well received by your generation?

I've never been good at explaining why I like things. quadrophenia's just a collection of really great songs. I've never paid attention to the lyrics or the story, but it seems like there are a lot of different feelings and emotions covered, and there are plenty of goosebump moments throughout.

and I hate to make generalizations about my generation, but most people my age don't listen to albums, they listen to hit songs. and an album like quadrophenia - most folks would not give a shit about it whatsoever. of course, folks in my age group who are into music and listening to albums and that sort of thing, they'd probably love it I guess.

• Like 1