The Official QUADROPHENIA Thread

Lorraine

I remember back in the day, imust have bought at least 6 8 track tapes of this. My player in my Datsun 240 z, kept eating them(lol), Man those were the days. Truly superb recording!!!!!!

I have to laugh remembering trying to get the 8-tracks that were stuck, out of the players. No easy task, and all you had for your efforts at the end was a mass of mangled tape. :LOL:

I had a portable 8-track player that I would bring down to the ocean and sit on the sand and listen to Quadrophenia. Now, THAT was some experience. :)

Wow, I can just imagine.

• Like 2

I wore out several copies of Who's Next back in the 70s. Strangely enough, I still have my original Quadrophenia vinyl. It never really wore out even though I played it all the time.
  • Like 2

I wore out several copies of Who's Next back in the 70s. Strangely enough, I still have my original Quadrophenia vinyl. It never really wore out even though I played it all the time.

Ah! That's because Quadrophenia is an invincible album!! :yes: :LOLsign:

• Like 1

It must be! The record itself seems heavier, so maybe that's it too. :)

• Like 1

It must be! The record itself seems heavier, so maybe that's it too. :)

My album jacket fell apart, and the lyrics were underlined with so many notes in the margins I couldn't read half of them. :LOL:

• Like 1

What does everyone here think of the movie, "Quadrophenia?"

I saw it when it came out and have been in love with it ever since.

I never saw it because I never wanted what the album meant to me personally to be tainted. If that makes sense.

Quadrophenia belonged to me.

• Like 1

Listening to the album again this morning, I read for the first time the liner notes I guess Pete penned for this CD to go along with the demo songs they included in the package. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I read the very last paragraph:

Jimmy is on his rock, the tide comes in and rages around him. He has made a mistake. He has run to the ocean for help, in his drug addled comedown he expects to hear a benign and guiding voice, but all that happens is that he gets wet, It rains, not the divine love he prayed for, but freezing rain from the clouds above. He has lost everything that meant anything to him, and now he is cold and wet. Jimmy is loved nonetheless. We love him. We will always love him. In fact, it seems to me we love him far more than the phantom God he cried out to at the end of his very bad day.
  • Like 1

I never saw it because I never wanted what the album meant to me personally to be tainted. If that makes sense.

Quadrophenia belonged to me.

It makes perfect sense. - The reality, for me, is that it enhances the album for me. - I could so relate to the disenfranchised youth portrayed in the film. I- was so much like Phil Daniel's "Jimmy" character in many ways...hopeful and self destructive. - It really is a great movie apart from the album. - Again, I had two loves at the time..."Steph" from "Quadrophenia" and "Riff Randall" from "Rock and Roll High School".

• Like 1

Listening to the album again this morning, I read for the first time the liner notes I guess Pete penned for this CD to go along with the demo songs they included in the package. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I read the very last paragraph:

Jimmy is on his rock, the tide comes in and rages around him. He has made a mistake. He has run to the ocean for help, in his drug addled comedown he expects to hear a benign and guiding voice, but all that happens is that he gets wet, It rains, not the divine love he prayed for, but freezing rain from the clouds above. He has lost everything that meant anything to him, and now he is cold and wet. Jimmy is loved nonetheless. We love him. We will always love him. In fact, it seems to me we love him far more than the phantom God he cried out to at the end of his very bad day.

Laugh or cry, indeed...is good to be able to relate to that?

• Like 1

Laugh or cry, indeed...is good to be able to relate to that?

I don't know, that's why I didn't know whether to laugh or cry because I related to it.

• Like 1

Eagle, is that a bass or guitar in The Real Me at about the 1:30 mark? You can hear it throughout the song, but it's more prominent at that point.

I don't know but my guess would be it's the bass. I don't have the album on my computer to check.

I thought it was pretty good but I was a little disappointed at the ending.

The "whoo oh God I need a drink!" in Love Reign O'er Me actually feels like taking a drink of unimaginably refreshing water while standing out in the ocean while it's raining after having been thirsty and upset for as long as memory will serve. Instant image painted in my head, it's like the mini happy ending to the whole album.
  • Like 1

Pete Townshend has revealed how The Who contemplated splitting up after the release of Quadrophenia in 1973.

Speaking at the media launch of the “director’s cut” reissue of the album in London on Wednesday night, the guitarist said the record’s broad themes of alienation and attempts to represent the four distinct personalities of the band had the air of a final chapter. “It felt like the end,” he said.

Townshend also played a short solo acoustic set at the event, including a version of Bob Dylan’s Corrina Corrina, announcing that he’s also recorded the track for an Amnesty International album, with the help of Pearl Jam’s Eddie Vedder.

Dark Times

He said the band went through some dark times in the few years after 1969’s Tommy, because of their hectic touring schedule in the wake of the rock opera’s release, the aborted Lifehouse project and the songs salvaged from that project for the Who’s Next album.

“The years before Quadrophenia were chaos, they really were, we were so lost. I felt we’d lost contact with our original audience, and I wanted to reconnect with the neighbourhood we grew up in,” he said.

“Although the album has some personal stuff in it from me, I always wanted to portray what the others had gone through, I wanted the album to tell our fans things they didn’t previously know about us - what was it about those guys that I used to like?! John Entwistle, for instance; it wasn’t until the day of his funeral that I discovered that he’d spent most of his life as a freemason.

“I’ve been working on my memoirs, and while going through my old diaries I found an entry from 1969 that just read “explore four”, which was probably the initial seeds of Quadrophenia. One idea was to have each of us write one side of a double album. I don’t think John or Keith [Moon] really liked the music The Who had being doing in the previous few years, they didn’t like the aggression, so I felt the way to get back on track was to let them curate the next album.”

That original blueprint faltered, however, because neither Moon nor Roger Daltrey had much confidence in themselves as writers, Townshend suggested.

Three landmark albums

“We didn’t make that many albums, in fact I would say that we only made three landmark records; Tommy, Who’s Next and Quadrophenia,” he said. “I’ve always felt that Quadrophenia was the last definitive Who album. I’ve always regarded it as a very ambitious album, but what got away was the story.

“Whenever we’ve played the songs live since, they feel new, so we wanted to bring the album, the actual recorded music, into the 21st century and have that feel new as well, which is why I spent the best part of the last year working on the remastering.

”I’m very proud of it, it’s the only Who album I produced on my own. I’m amazed by what we managed to achieve with an eight-track studio. I had complete control and it proved that when I have complete control I get it right.

“But to me, it felt to me like it was the end. The reason I’ve spent so much time working on this new edition is because it’s an epochal record, the last great album by The Who.”

In addition to the Dylan track mentioned earlier, Townshend’s brief live set included Drowned and I’m One from Quadrophenia, and Acid Queen from Tommy

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/quadrophenia-was-nearly-the-end-says-pete-townshend-512395

For some unknown reason, I really feel sorry for Pete. What he said here:

“But to me, it felt to me like it was the end. The reason I’ve spent so much time working on this new edition is because it’s an epochal record, the last great album by The Who.”

I've read some other musicians say something very similar. That must be an awful feeling. It's hard enough for the average person to look back on their life; for someone like him, or anyone like him, it must be brutal.