RushCon14 Announced!!

Distant Signals

www.rushcon.org

please check the website out. look at the past years to get an idea of what it is like.. It is a time to meet fellow Rush fans from around the world. Share the love of the music. If that is not for you than do not go!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously. Wtf goes on at these things? Is it really only analogous to a trekkie gathering?

We all dress up in uhm, those nerdy outfits...

They uhm.... WTF are they called?

I am so tired right now.

Cosplay, that's the word I'm looking for.

We all dress up in Rush Cosplay and have a giant orgy.

... While a Rush tribute band plays, naturally.

• Like 2

As a veteran RushCon attendee, I can tell you first hand that it is worth going to. For those who have not gone, please note that Geddy, Alex, and Neil have never attended the convention but they are very aware of it. Don't go with the expectation of meeting the band.

Typically, there is a meet and greet the first night where fans can meet each other and make plans outside convention activities - like going to a bar after the meet and greet is over.

On Saturday, there are usually games that have been "Rushified". Quizzes that challenge you on your knowledge of the band and the music. There are prizes given to winners. There is the auction where you can donate items and the proceeds go to some of the local food banks or charities that the band themselves donate to. Rush karaoke.

Tribute bands of course. I've heard some damn good ones! Often there is a tour of Anthem Entertainment's offices where you can see awards on the walls, etc...

Visit Rush sites, like the Parliament building which is one the Moving Pictures album cover, walk down Yonge Street where video was filmed for "Subdivisions". Visit the corner of Danforth and Pape in the Greek side of town. Many more.

To me, I think what is best about the convention is the comeraderie and the friendships that are formed.

On a personal note, RushCon is where I have met Alex's mother and sister, Donna Halper, and in 2009, my interview with Sam Dunn that appears on "Beyond the Lighted Stage". I've met Terry Brown as well, Martin Popoff, Andrew McNaughton, Michael Mosbach (Neil's security and riding buddy). So yeah, "anything can happen". :D

Edited by circumstantial tree
  • Like 2

I'm a rush newbie and will be attending. Sounds like so much fun. Just have to ask as I don't know, what is at the corner of Danforth and Pape in the Greek side of town? Is this the "gaunlet" near Fisherville that Geddy and Alex used to run from the bullies?

To me, I think what is best about the convention is the comeraderie and the friendships that are formed.

That would be the most important thing to me if I could go - especially meeting the members from TRF, many of whom mean a lot to me in a cyberspace way.

• Like 1

Would love to tour Massey Hall.. letsy see..

We did that last year in addition to standing on the stage. I haven't looked at the RushCon site to see if they've listed the agenda, but ultimately they will if they haven't already.

Regarding Danforth and Pape, I don't there there was anything significant at the intersection if I recall. But this is nowhere near Fisherville school, so it's unrelated. There is the Don River in the suburbs, called "The River Dawn" in the Necromancer.

One of the more fun things people have done is pose as the people on the front of Moving Pictures in front of that building. Kind of recreating the cover, if you will. I think that building is the most popular destination point for Rush fans exploring Toronto.

• Like 1

I thought that Danforth and Pape had something to do with where an album was recorded.

Would love to tour Massey Hall.. letsy see..

We did that last year in addition to standing on the stage. I haven't looked at the RushCon site to see if they've listed the agenda, but ultimately they will if they haven't already.

I'd love to sit alone in Massey with ATWAS playing in my earphones..

Eaglemoon, hope u can go. It would be great to meet you.

Thanks. Same here. :)

Edited by EagleMoon

As a veteran RushCon attendee, I can tell you first hand that it is worth going to. For those who have not gone, please note that Geddy, Alex, and Neil have never attended the convention but they are very aware of it. Don't go with the expectation of meeting the band.

Typically, there is a meet and greet the first night where fans can meet each other and make plans outside convention activities - like going to a bar after the meet and greet is over.

On Saturday, there are usually games that have been "Rushified". Quizzes that challenge you on your knowledge of the band and the music. There are prizes given to winners. There is the auction where you can donate items and the proceeds go to some of the local food banks or charities that the band themselves donate to. Rush karaoke.

Tribute bands of course. I've heard some damn good ones! Often there is a tour of Anthem Entertainment's offices where you can see awards on the walls, etc...

Visit Rush sites, like the Parliament building which is one the Moving Pictures album cover, walk down Yonge Street where video was filmed for "Subdivisions". Visit the corner of Danforth and Pape in the Greek side of town. Many more.

On a personal note, RushCon is where I have met Alex's mother and sister, Donna Halper, and in 2009, my interview with Sam Dunn that appears on "Beyond the Lighted Stage". I've met Terry Brown as well, Martin Popoff, Andrew McNaughton, Michael Mosbach (Neil's security and riding buddy). So yeah, "anything can happen". :D

This got me that much more excited about RushCon! I can't wait to go. I think it will be so much fun to be surrounded by so many other Rush fans. And this is the city to do that in.

I'm going to spend a few days enjoying the quintessential Toronto tourist spots but peppered with Rush spots too. Thanks for the list CT!

That would be the most important thing to me if I could go - especially meeting the members from TRF, many of whom mean a lot to me in a cyberspace way.

I agree. I'd love to meet a few cyber TRF members.

It's considered to be family friendly so you can bring your kids to the main events, but for things like the tribute band concert, have a plan in mind as to what to do with children because they cannot attend due to alcohol being served.

It's considered to be family friendly so you can bring your kids to the main events, but for things like the tribute band concert, have a plan in mind as to what to do with children because they cannot attend due to alcohol being served.

I love my kids to absolute pieces but I am really looking forward to a kid-free vacation. Husband-free too! WOOHOO! Just me and my cool aunt are going to hang at Rush Con. Well, it's more like a trip to Toronto and we'll make a pit stop at Rush Con.

I love my kids to absolute pieces but I am really looking forward to a kid-free vacation. Husband-free too! WOOHOO! Just me and my cool aunt are going to hang at Rush Con. Well, it's more like a trip to Toronto and we'll make a pit stop at Rush Con.

yeah, I think it's best to go without kids. You have more freedom to move about.