Rush: The Rise of Kings Documentary Coming May 6th

Jag2112

As long as it's honest and does the band justice, it can't be a bad thing. Although I can't see it being as good as "lighted stage"..

I do want to see it though! Especially after reading the description:

The most successful band to emerge from the Canadian rock explosion of the early 1970s, Rush would go on to become one of that nation's biggest entertainment exports. A trio of musical polymaths who cut a fiercely independent, sometimes controversial path through various musical styles to forge a distinctive, evolving sound that was incomparable to that of any of their contemporaries, this hugely influential group have flourished across a forty-plus year career. This film traces the history of Rush from the bar rooms of Toronto in the late 1960s to the world's largest arenas in the late 70s and early 1980s, by which time they were amongst the biggest bands on the planet. Through a stunning combination of rare and classic footage, the testimony of friends, colleagues and those who worked with the group across the years, plus exclusive and archive interviews and a host of other features, this programme makes the very unique history of Rush come alive in a manner previously undocumented.

Me either, but I sure want to see it.

I like your profile picture

not talking about the dolphins pic but that's nice too.. !

(Ass n grass lol)

Me either, but I sure want to see it.

I like your profile picture

not talking about the dolphins pic but that's nice too.. !

(Ass n grass lol)

Thanks.

since it only covers 68-81 I'd imagine it should get a little more in depth about those years than BTLS did, maybe we'll see more than a few minutes on farewell and hemispheres

that was my only complaint with BTLS, they glaced over a lot of albums from the mid '80s and '90s. To be fair, they only had so much material to discuss within the time frame and couldn't go into detail about everything.

• Like 1

Going to guess this is a rerelease of one of those other unauthorized DVDs from the last 15 years.

I finally was able to track down a copy of that Changing Hemispheres 4 DVD set with the hardcover book for a price I was willing to pay and I still think I wasted my money.

The physical package looks fantastic, but the content itself is nearly the worst I have ever seen. In my opinion most of the people featured In the DVD aren't even close to being authorities on Rush and the prose in the book, which some of it correct is the worst I've ever seen, which is a shame because it really looks great.

since it only covers 68-81 I'd imagine it should get a little more in depth about those years than BTLS did, maybe we'll see more than a few minutes on farewell and hemispheres

that was my only complaint with BTLS, they glaced over a lot of albums from the mid '80s and '90s. To be fair, they only had so much material to discuss within the time frame and couldn't go into detail about everything.

yeah, it seemed like the filmmakers assumed that no one cares about the synth era. and I guess really it's a small small minority that does like/care about those albums

I've seen some stuff from this studio before. I'm not expecting much from this, but it might be good for a few laughs. Maybe the fact that they're charging real money for it indicates that there's actually some real Rush music in it.

I'll check it out.

One thing though... " Canadian Rock explosion of the early 70s" ... I was not aware of this

Apparently it wasn't a big enough explosion to reach the US! lol. I seem to remember hearing about something happening in the 70's with the music industry that made US labels turn more towards Canadian content. There was also a push for Canadian content on Canadian radio stations and I think there was even stations that made sure their playlists contained more Canadian artists than anything else. Plus the Juno awards started in the early 70's (basically the "Canadian Grammys")

Besides all that (or because of it), all the best Canadian music happened in the 70's! BTO, April Wine, Trooper, The Guess Who, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Chilliwack, Prism, Red Rider, Max Webster, Aldo Nova, Triumph, Saga, the Band, Five Man Electrical band.. Thinking of all these bands is really taking me back! Us Canadians grew up with this stuff and it's awesome! ..but I'm digressing a little here lol.

Any way, that's what I know about it :)

Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 2

I would be interested to see it, just because, you know- unless it's bogus. There have been music docs released before that have precious little to do with what the package actually states. Maybe if I could find a used one or a cutout, it would be worth checking out. Edited by Blue J

I hope they talk about their sexcapades and other recreational activities this time. I don't know if there was more snow outside of LeStudio, than in!

if geddy even mentioned sex or cocaine people on here would bitch so much

There won't be anything very exciting in it. This studio produces compilation docs using stock music, commonly available archival materials, and interviews with people who have greater or lesser qualifications to speak about the band. It might be kind of fun to watch but it won't be anything new.

I hope they talk about their sexcapades and other recreational activities this time. I don't know if there was more snow outside of LeStudio, than in!

Yes! This I would love to hear. :LOL:

I was just checking out the 1990 Presto tour video on Youtube, Is there anyway Rush can get a hold of a copy along with The Auburn Hills Counterparts show and clean it up a bit. Didnt Kiss do that with some of there concerts they released on dvd. This would be Cool!
  • Like 1

There won't be anything very exciting in it. This studio produces compilation docs using stock music, commonly available archival materials, and interviews with people who have greater or lesser qualifications to speak about the band. It might be kind of fun to watch but it won't be anything new.

I saw the preview and you pretty much described what I was going to say (Based on the preview itself. Know nothing about the studio.)

It's also amusing to see that although it stops at 1981 there are video clips from after that year.

I may get this somewhere down the road, but definately not now. What little I saw of it, it's way better than that Changing Hemipshere's footage. If these "authorities" are qualified (and for some that's debatable) the ones on Changing Hemispheres are MUCH lower on the "authority" chain.

But yeah, if anyone is looking for anything new or ground breaking it's not likely in here.