Jethro Tull Appreciation Thread

GeddysMullet

I love, love, love Jethro Tull. The OP is spot on the description of Songs from the Wood. It really does set a mood that is sustained throughout, through light and dark moments, up and down tempo. Fantastic musicianship on it, especially the drumming, Ian's vocals, the harmonies and the guitar parts. (Did I leave anything out?)

Great to see so many fans here!

A while back a friend asked me to make them a Tull mix, and I came up with this three-disc, pre-1979 introduction to the band. The excerpts from Thick As A Brick and A Passion Play were my own, edited in SoundForge. :)

01. My Sunday Feeling (This Was, 1968)

02. A New Day Yesterday (Stand Up, 1969)

03. Bouree (Stand Up, 1969)

04. Nothing Is Easy (Stand Up, 1969)

05. Living In The Past (Living In The Past, 1969)

06. Witch's Promise (Living In The Past, 1969)

07. Teacher (Benefit, 1970)

08. Aqualung (Aqualung, 1971)

09. Cross-Eyed Mary (Aqualung, 1971)

10. My God (Aqualung, 1971)

11. Thick As A Brick (Excerpt 1) (Thick As A Brick, 1972)

12. Thick As A Brick (Excerpt 2) (Thick As A Brick, 1972)

13. Thick As A Brick (Excerpt 3) (Thick As A Brick, 1972)

14. A Passion Play (Excerpt 1) (A Passion Play, 1973)

15. A Passion Play (Excerpt 2) (A Passion Play, 1973)

16. A Passion Play (Excerpt 3) (A Passion Play, 1973)

17. Warchild (Warchild, 1974)

18. Sealion (Warchild, 1974)

19. Skating Away (On The Thin Ice of The New Day) (Warchild, 1974)

20. Minstrel In The Gallery (Minstrel In The Gallery, 1975)

21. Cold Wind To Valhalla (Minstrel In The Gallery, 1975)

22. One White Duck , 0^10 = Nothing At All (Minstrel In The Gallery, 1975)

23. Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll, Too Young To Die (Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll, Too Young To Die, 1976)

24. Songs From The Wood (Songs From The Wood, 1977)

25. Jack-In-The-Green (Songs From The Wood, 1977)

26. Acres Wild (Heavy Horses, 1978)

27. No Lullaby (Heavy Horses, 1978)

28. Heavy Horses (Heavy Horses, 1978)

29. Dun Ringill (Stormwatch, 1979)

30. Dark Ages (Stormwatch, 1979)

• Like 3

I got into Tull after listening to a friend's older brother's copy of M.U. I taped it, and then went out and bought Repeat. That was right around the time Broadsword and the Beast was released. I saw them, backed by a group called Saga if memory serves, in Providence, RI. Great show, and I still think B and the B is criminally underrated.
  • Like 3

I got into Tull after listening to a friend's older brother's copy of M.U. I taped it, and then went out and bought Repeat. That was right around the time Broadsword and the Beast was released. I saw them, backed by a group called Saga if memory serves, in Providence, RI. Great show, and I still think B and the B is criminally underrated.

Saga were from Canada! (I grew up in Ontario in the 70's or 80's and was thus immersed in the music scene.)

Also, I totally agree about BATB.

They have some pretty awesome songs. I'd probably categorize them as neo-prog, like mostly rock with some prog influences.

• Like 2

A while back a friend asked me to make them a Tull mix, and I came up with this three-disc, pre-1979 introduction to the band.

Very nice mix, not a bad tune on it. Though if I were your friend and I eventually delved deeper into the Tull catalog, I'd probably demand to know why you had deprived me of With You There to Help Me, Nothing to Say, and Sweet Dream. ;)

I still think B and the B is criminally underrated.

Yeah, very good album. I especially like Clasp, Pussy Willow, and Fallen on Hard Times on there. In fact, I'd say Clasp is one of Tull's best songs.

• Like 1

Saga were from Canada! (I grew up in Ontario in the 70's or 80's and was thus immersed in the music scene.)

Also, I totally agree about BATB.

They have some pretty awesome songs. I'd probably categorize them as neo-prog, like mostly rock with some prog influences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J0QdXBY0wo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrkVWVgwwfc

Trying to post a link to the classic Saga percussion track "A Briefcase" :fuckinputer:

Their live a;bum "In Transit" is a must.

Edited by goose

A while back a friend asked me to make them a Tull mix, and I came up with this three-disc, pre-1979 introduction to the band.

Very nice mix, not a bad tune on it. Though if I were your friend and I eventually delved deeper into the Tull catalog, I'd probably demand to know why you had deprived me of With You There to Help Me, Nothing to Say, and Sweet Dream. ;)

I second the idea that "Sweet Dream" should be there (and maybe "Inside"), but applaud your bold exclusion of "Bunghole in the Jungle"

Edited by sitboaf
  • Like 1

A while back a friend asked me to make them a Tull mix, and I came up with this three-disc, pre-1979 introduction to the band. The excerpts from Thick As A Brick and A Passion Play were my own, edited in SoundForge. :)

01. My Sunday Feeling (This Was, 1968)

02. A New Day Yesterday (Stand Up, 1969)

03. Bouree (Stand Up, 1969)

04. Nothing Is Easy (Stand Up, 1969)

05. Living In The Past (Living In The Past, 1969)

06. Witch's Promise (Living In The Past, 1969)

07. Teacher (Benefit, 1970)

08. Aqualung (Aqualung, 1971)

09. Cross-Eyed Mary (Aqualung, 1971)

10. My God (Aqualung, 1971)

11. Thick As A Brick (Excerpt 1) (Thick As A Brick, 1972)

12. Thick As A Brick (Excerpt 2) (Thick As A Brick, 1972)

13. Thick As A Brick (Excerpt 3) (Thick As A Brick, 1972)

14. A Passion Play (Excerpt 1) (A Passion Play, 1973)

15. A Passion Play (Excerpt 2) (A Passion Play, 1973)

16. A Passion Play (Excerpt 3) (A Passion Play, 1973)

17. Warchild (Warchild, 1974)

18. Sealion (Warchild, 1974)

19. Skating Away (On The Thin Ice of The New Day) (Warchild, 1974)

20. Minstrel In The Gallery (Minstrel In The Gallery, 1975)

21. Cold Wind To Valhalla (Minstrel In The Gallery, 1975)

22. One White Duck , 0^10 = Nothing At All (Minstrel In The Gallery, 1975)

23. Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll, Too Young To Die (Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll, Too Young To Die, 1976)

24. Songs From The Wood (Songs From The Wood, 1977)

25. Jack-In-The-Green (Songs From The Wood, 1977)

26. Acres Wild (Heavy Horses, 1978)

27. No Lullaby (Heavy Horses, 1978)

28. Heavy Horses (Heavy Horses, 1978)

29. Dun Ringill (Stormwatch, 1979)

30. Dark Ages (Stormwatch, 1979)

No "We used to know?" You fail. :whipgirl: :P :P ;) ;)

• Like 1

No "We used to know?" You fail. :whipgirl: :P :P ;) ;)

Haha, good points, all. It's so hard making the perfect mix, right? I could fall back on "gotta leave them something to discover!" I suppose. :D And HPL, that emoticon is hilarious.

I second the idea that "Sweet Dream" should be there (and maybe "Inside"), but applaud your bold exclusion of "Bunghole in the Jungle"

Thank you, as a curator I felt it was a bold yet important choice. I just don't get it! It's not just one of my least-favourite Tull songs, it's one of my least-favourite SONGS ever, haha. And it is right next to Skating Away in running order?!?!?! It's sacrilege, I tell ya. ;)

I enjoy listening to Bungle, as blatant of a "radio song" as it is. In fact, I dig a lot of tunes that Ian cranked out for "commercial purposes" (Bungle, Living in the Past, Teacher, Lap of Luxury, Spiral, etc.).

I know Ian himself isn't very fond of most of those songs, but the man did have a knack for creating radio-friendly melodies when he felt like going in that direction. I bet that had he written plenty more safe, catchy 3/4-minute rock songs instead of all the experimental/ambitious stuff, Tull would've maintained their high-level success for a lot longer. (I'm not saying I wish he went that route—just that he could have.)

But back to Bungle, I do consider it one of the many good tracks on War Child. The only tunes I don't like on that album are The Third Hoorah and Two Fingers. The 2002 CD version has plenty of good bonus tracks too (Rainbow Blues, Sealion 2, Paradise Steakhouse, Saturation, Quartet).

I like Bungle, too. Usually.

One would think it HAD to be in a collection because of the airplay it earned…

…but on the other hand, it does often sound quite out of place, as gudbuytjane mentioned.

Hence the applause for making a tough choice.

It's a good thing, then, that they had songs like Kissing Willie to give everyone a positive impression of them. :unsure:

Incidentally, anyone who hasn't seen the Kissing Willie video definitely should. It's so astoundingly laughable, so staggeringly awful, that it ends up being AWESOME.

• Like 2

It's a good thing, then, that they had songs like Kissing Willie to give everyone a positive impression of them. :unsure:

Incidentally, anyone who hasn't seen the Kissing Willie video definitely should. It's so astoundingly laughable, so staggeringly awful, that it ends up being AWESOME.

Oh good Lord :LMAO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H1JYRmxiT0&feature=kp

I don't think I need videos to be part of my Jethro Tull experience. I mean, that was just embarrassing!

• Like 1

:LOL: Yeah, they followed up their Grammy win with THAT. It's amazing that the success wasn't sustained!

To poor Ian's credit, he cites that incredibly awful video as one of the most regrettable things he's ever done.

I don't think I need videos to be part of my Jethro Tull experience. I mean, that was just embarrassing!

Couldn't make it past the first minute :facepalm:

Couldn't make it past the first minute :facepalm:

From the ridiculous to the sublime, this interesting take on what is so far my favourite Tull song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21R1zPkeei8

• Like 1

I finally got Homo Erraticus yesterday, and having given it a few spins, I think I'll post some thoughts here, since HE may as well be viewed as a Tull album at this point.

It's reminiscent of Thick as a Brick 2, which I anticipated and am cool with—except that some parts are a bit too similar to TaaB2 and seem like rehashes. And while a number of TaaB2 tracks struck me as being good right away (Banker Bets, Shunt and Shuffle, Pebbles, etc.), almost all of HE's tunes flew right on by the first time I listened to them.

As much as Ian talked about HE being a hard-rock record, it really isn't one. That's not just due to the thin production; most of the songs just don't really rock. When I think of heavy Tull, I think of stuff like Dark Ages and the hard parts of Aqualung, and nothing on HE comes close to rocking like that material. Heck, these tracks can't even match the heaviest ones on J-Tull Dot Com.

Two tunes that do hit sort of hard are the opener and closer (Doggerland and Cold Dead Reckoning), and they're two of the album's best. I also like Tripudium Ad Bellum (a little instrumental with a lot of flute) and a softer number called After These Wars.

Most of the other tracks haven't really grabbed me yet, but at least they seem largely inoffensive (though a little too goofy at times). I detect potential in some of them. We'll see if they grow on me.

• Like 1

It took about 650,000 spins, but Homo Erraticus has begun to grow on me a bit. A particularly close listen a couple of days ago revealed more things to appreciate about it, and quite a few of the melodies are sticking with me now. I still hold most of the opinions I expressed in my first-impressions post, but the tracks that flew right by me previously now seem more distinct, and there are more cool things going on in the music than I initially noticed. I still don't think the album is as good as the great Tull records—or even the middle-of-the-pack Tull records. But I'm liking it well enough.
  • Like 1