newest ipod update screwed me over

hobo73

anyone else have this happen??

I JUST went to download the latest itunes update, and a pop up said "error". OK, fine.

So I canceled the download, only to have it pop up again. No matter how many times I canceled, it kept coming up. I shut down itunes, restarted my laptop and tried going into itunes again.

THIS time, a pop up basically told me before I can do anything else whatsoever, I had to erase all my media data. Canceling did nothing.

even when I unplugged my ipod, the screen was stuck on "plug into itunes".

So, literally before I could do ANYTHING ELSE, even cancel the freaking download, I had no choice but to erase all my songs.

Now I have manually put all the songs back onto my ipod.

(I can't begin to tell you the colourful language that was uttered.)

a friend told me "it's that damn iOS7 update." Ok...so.....is anyone else having major issues with itunes updates??

(and yes, I went on the support chat on the Apple site, like I've done several times before. Nobody bothered to talk with me and after a good 20 minutes, I gave up on that.)

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Edited by hobo73

I don't understand. Is your iTunes program the thing that's giving you trouble or the iOS 7 update? If it's your program, go to the site and download the itunes installer, uninstall itunes from your computer, and run the installer you downloaded. You'll likely need to re-import your itunes library. If it's your iDevice, plug it in and click restore. If restoring from a backup gives you trouble, then just do a fresh restore without using a previous backup for settings.

Is your laptop a MacBook or a PC? I wonder if that makes a difference.

I haven't updated my iTunes program for awhile. It always gives me a prompt to do so these days, but I always skip it, and it hasn't prevented me from doing anything else. I think I'll keep skipping it.

I've got error messages like that a few times before. It's told me that there was an error with the update and I have to reinstall iTunes. The couple times I did that everything was fine after. They were able to recover all the songs I had saved to my computer and they all appeared on iTunes like always. So, I don't get how all you songs got erased unless it was on the iPod and not the computer. Once you save songs to your computer, they're always there unless you delete them or your computer crashes. Either way it's a pain in the ass to get all those songs back on. Also, when iTunes says there's an error, don't plug in your iPod until you know you've solved the problem.

I don't understand. Is your iTunes program the thing that's giving you trouble or the iOS 7 update? If it's your program, go to the site and download the itunes installer, uninstall itunes from your computer, and run the installer you downloaded. You'll likely need to re-import your itunes library. If it's your iDevice, plug it in and click restore. If restoring from a backup gives you trouble, then just do a fresh restore without using a previous backup for settings.

I personally think it's the iTunes program- a friend mentioned iOS7 issues, so I threw that in there wondering if that had anything to do with it?

I restored from a previous backup- all apps, even all pictures from my photo stream, are back. All my songs are gone =/

I've been trying to contact Apple since it's happened- emailing them is no longer an option on the website (which is weird cause I emailed them numerous times before with issues). It's been damn near impossible to get in contact with ANYONE from the Apple site, so I'm wondering if they're overwhelmed with complaints about the latest update.

I've got error messages like that a few times before. It's told me that there was an error with the update and I have to reinstall iTunes. The couple times I did that everything was fine after. They were able to recover all the songs I had saved to my computer and they all appeared on iTunes like always. So, I don't get how all you songs got erased unless it was on the iPod and not the computer. Once you save songs to your computer, they're always there unless you delete them or your computer crashes. Either way it's a pain in the ass to get all those songs back on. Also, when iTunes says there's an error, don't plug in your iPod until you know you've solved the problem.

Everything was fine until about halfway thru the download, after I plugged the iPod in =/

There are several songs I can't find anywhere on my laptop, and even worse, a bunch of music videos I spent money on from the iTunes store- gone. Nowhere to be found.

The same thing happened to me. I was told the issue is only with the shuffle. Apple screwed something up big time, everyone with a shuffle is having problems. I can't even use my iPod anymore! It's frustrating. I have an iPhone now and all my songs are there but I hate running and going to the gym carrying my huge phone. I liked having the shuffle with me. Edited by Janie
  • Like 1

I haven't updated iTunes since 10.7.0.21. There's no reason to. I think Apple simply updates things just to update.

Same here. iTunes 11 has an extremely crappy interface which I saw when I downloaded it by accident. I had to get rid of it an reinstall v 10.7.

I haven't updated iTunes since 10.7.0.21. There's no reason to. I think Apple simply updates things just to update.

Same here. iTunes 11 has an extremely crappy interface which I saw when I downloaded it by accident. I had to get rid of it an reinstall v 10.7.

I updated because I like having emulators on my phone and sadly there are no longer and Cydia repos with mulators that support iOS5. So I had to upgrade downgrade to the latest iOS and iTunes version.

The same thing happened to me. I was told the issue is only with the shuffle. Apple screwed something up big time, everyone with a shuffle is having problems. I can't even use my iPod anymore! It's frustrating. I have an iPhone now and all my songs are there but I hate running and going to the gym carrying my huge phone. I liked having the shuffle with me.

AGH yeah, another friend just told me his buddy had the exact same thing happen.

I have an ipod touch, I think apple was just trying to cover their behinds by saying that -____-

All the money I've spent on them over the years, my purchases- erased. even an e-book, gone.

All I know is, when I do get a hold of them, I WILL get money credited to my itunes account. You bet.

.....well, I have 590 songs back on my ipod. roughly 1500 more to go.

I've got an iPod that I recently restored. Now when I plug it into any computer it'll open iTunes and then cause iTunes to freeze. The iPod won't appear in iTunes but will appear in my computer as connected. If I select the iPod in My Computer it will freeze. And I've tried all the steps on the iTunes site to make it connect. WTF.
  • Like 1

I updated because I like having emulators on my phone and sadly there are no longer and Cydia repos with mulators that support iOS5. So I had to upgrade downgrade to the latest iOS and iTunes version.

What are emulators? :)

In the context of my post an emulator is a program that mimics/simulates the architecture of a consoles like the Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis or Gameboy and allows you to play games in the form of ROMs (Read Only Memory -- it's a fancy way of saying it's data that cannot be modified, but since it's on my hard drive/SD card/phone storage that's totally not true, it is editable in this case but the emulator doesn't care so long as the data is valid) from those systems. This may sound illegal but that's only the case if you don't own the games/systems you emulate (at least that's the case here in Canada).

EDIT: slightly inaccurate. fixed.

Edited by USB Connector

790 songs added at this point- I'll just look at it as a fun project. Going through my songs and figuring out what I want, what I don't. I find that I'm seriously downsizing the amount of live tracks I have ;)

In the context of my post an emulator is a program that mimics/simulates the architecture of a consoles like the Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis or Gameboy and allows you to play games in the form of ROMs (Read Only Memory -- it's a fancy way of saying it's data that cannot be modified, but since it's on my hard drive/SD card/phone storage that's totally not true, it is editable in this case but the emulator doesn't care so long as the data is valid) from those systems. This may sound illegal but that's only the case if you don't own the games/systems you emulate (at least that's the case here in Canada).

I get it - thanks for that. :)

I get it - thanks for that. :)

You're welcome :)

update: a pop up asked me if I wanted to install the newest iTunes update.

I couldn't have laughed more as I clicked NO.

• Like 3