Fish for fish haters?

alphseeker

I'm 50 now and want to cut back on red meat to just once a week and introduce more fish into our diets. Problem is my wife hates Seafood. She'll eat cod or halibut if it's breaded and fried but just seafood on it's own repulses her. Any recommendations?

Try catfish. It's not seafood, per se, but it's pretty neutral in taste. Farmed US catfish is very sustainable, unlike most ocean fish. (Sustainability is something more people need to care about.)
  • Like 1

I can't imagine hating seafood! It's my favorite. Does she hate everything: crab, lobster, shrimp, all fish, scallops.... Seafood itself doesn't have a ton of flavor, the flavor comes from what you add to it so it may take some experimentation.

I love crab cakes and they're really easy to prepare. There are a ton of different recipes out there. When I make them, I prefer to keep things simple and only add panko bread crumbs, lemon juice, Old Bay seasoning, scallion and an egg. Combine everything (don't over mix - keep chunks of crab meat whole) and pan fry in oil and butter.

Probably the most requested dish around here is salmon with steamed broccoli. My kids love this dinner. We eat it once a week. All I do is pan fry salmon well on one side, flip and just before salmon is done on the other side, I slather each piece with a mixture of white wine, lemon juice, soy sauce and apricot preserves and then place the pan under the broiler briefly. The fish is moist and has a slightly sweet flavor from the apricot. It's really good. If your wife doesn't like this salmon, there's no helping her! :LOL:

I'm 50 now and want to cut back on red meat to just once a week and introduce more fish into our diets. Problem is my wife hates Seafood. She'll eat cod or halibut if it's breaded and fried but just seafood on it's own repulses her. Any recommendations?

If she can't get past the flavor then I am not sure what to suggest.

I can't imagine anyone not enjoying broiled Cod or Flounder. They are so mild, flaky and tasty.

Can you expand on what exactly it is about seafood that repulses her? Is the flavor or the texture or what?

If she can't get past the flavor then I am not sure what to suggest.

I can't imagine anyone not enjoying broiled Cod or Flounder. They are so mild, flaky and tasty.

Can you expand on what exactly it is about seafood that repulses her? Is the flavor or the texture or what?

I am with you. I would eat fish and chips over a hamburger and fries any day...
  • Like 1

I can't imagine hating seafood! It's my favorite. Does she hate everything: crab, lobster, shrimp, all fish, scallops.... Seafood itself doesn't have a ton of flavor, the flavor comes from what you add to it so it may take some experimentation.

I love crab cakes and they're really easy to prepare. There are a ton of different recipes out there. When I make them, I prefer to keep things simple and only add panko bread crumbs, lemon juice, Old Bay seasoning, scallion and an egg. Combine everything (don't over mix - keep chunks of crab meat whole) and pan fry in oil and butter.

Probably the most requested dish around here is salmon with steamed broccoli. My kids love this dinner. We eat it once a week. All I do is pan fry salmon well on one side, flip and just before salmon is done on the other side, I slather each piece with a mixture of white wine, lemon juice, soy sauce and apricot preserves and then place the pan under the broiler briefly. The fish is moist and has a slightly sweet flavor from the apricot. It's really good. If your wife doesn't like this salmon, there's no helping her! :LOL:

Of course she loves lobster but that's out of the question in Calif. She doesn't like any other shell fish - texture. She will tolerate fish that has absolutely no fishy taste and is very flaky. I love salmon but it doesn't what i smother it with it's intolerable to her.

I like the catfish suggestion but don't know if baked is to mushy or does it flake nicely?

I like the catfish suggestion but don't know if baked is to mushy or does it flake nicely?

Catfish is white and flaky when cooked.

I also used to like trout back when I ate fish. It's another white & flaky fish, and I don't remember it having a fishy flavour. (I don't/didn't like the strong fishiness either.) But I never liked salmon. The taste was just not my thing.

Tilapia might be another one to try.

Of course she loves lobster but that's out of the question in Calif. She doesn't like any other shell fish - texture. She will tolerate fish that has absolutely no fishy taste and is very flaky. I love salmon but it doesn't what i smother it with it's intolerable to her.

Try flounder. Just brush it with lemon butter and broil it. Cod works well like this too. Neither are fishy tasting.

Tilapia usually takes the flavor of whatever you cook it with, plus you can get it relatively cheaply.

I won't eat tilapia ever since I learned of their diet. It was on "Dirty Jobs", and while I'm sure the fish is fine, I can't get past the concept.

My husband spent 22 years living on the coast and he hates seafood except for shellfish. Actually he won't eat crab anymore after getting a wicked bad case of food poisoning from some crab cakes he had at a pretty upscale restaurant.

Tilapia usually takes the flavor of whatever you cook it with, plus you can get it relatively cheaply.

I won't eat tilapia ever since I learned of their diet. It was on "Dirty Jobs", and while I'm sure the fish is fine, I can't get past the concept.

My husband spent 22 years living on the coast and he hates seafood except for shellfish. Actually he won't eat crab anymore after getting a wicked bad case of food poisoning from some crab cakes he had at a pretty upscale restaurant.

I have had tilapia more than once and it honestly was the worst fish I have ever tasted. Maybe it was prepared badly or something but it was sh*tty for sure.... :)

Stick with a tin of tuna lass! :sundog:

Tinned tuna reminds me of cat food. Cannot eat. I can eat Chris Christie's weight in tuna sashimi, however. :D

Grouper has a very mild flavor. So does mahi. Edited by Jack Aubrey

Tinned tuna reminds me of cat food. Cannot eat. I can eat Chris Christie's weight in tuna sashimi, however. :D

They make it in pouches now!!!

I love all sashimi!!

Jack Aubrey has lived on nothing but tinned cat food for six months during his jungle training regime!

I have a similar problem with my wife. She will eat fish, but she is not crazy about it like I am. I love anything that swims or crawls in the ocean.

I make broiled cod fillets and she likes them okay.

But crispy fried is both of our favorites. She is not fond of lobster, but likes crab and shrimp. If I never cooked another seafood dinner, it would not bother her in the least. I would be craving seafood in no time.

Its amazing how we came to be, with such differing tastes. She wants her steak well done (ruined) where I like mine rare. Makes my job as cook, extra hard.

Anything raised in a muddy pond half way across the globe is not something i want to eat.

There are some really good farm raised seafood products like salmon, mussels and clams though.

Edited by John V

Anything raised in a muddy pond half way across the globe is not something i want to eat.

There are some really good farm raised seafood products like salmon, mussels and clams though.

There is US farm-raised tilapia. You just have to make sure to find out where it comes from before buying (which is a good idea no matter what you're buying!).

• Like 1

Some people just aren't meant to consume seafood.

I have had tilapia more than once and it honestly was the worst fish I have ever tasted. Maybe it was prepared badly or something but it was sh*tty for sure.... :)

Don't know where you're getting your tilapia, I buy it all the time, eat it baked, broiled, grilled,and fried, never had a bad peice yet.

Mild, flaky, neutral tasting fish, try whiting.

Marinade your salmon in this:

http://s10.thisnext.com/media/largest_dimension/Lawrys-Hawaiian-Sauce_F9C33ADF.jpg

Then grill it for about 12 minutes. I bet your wife would enjoy that. If the salmon is fresh, it won't have a fishy flavor to it, and the marinade really taste wonderful with the salmon.

• Like 1

Don't know where you're getting your tilapia, I buy it all the time, eat it baked, broiled, grilled,and fried, never had a bad peice yet.

Mild, flaky, neutral tasting fish, try whiting.

Tilapia is very good. It's a very mild fish.

And I saw that episode of "Dirty Jobs" Mara. I'm sure their diet is no different than what any bottom feeder, like Catfish, eat. They still taste great.