Who makes the BEST fish 'n chips?

Thunder Bay Rush

I make pretty good deep fried (batter) fish ‘n chips. My fries are actually really good. But, no matter how hard I try, I just can’t come even close to some of the great fish ‘n chips I’ve had in various restaurants (or “Chippy” as they say in England) that I’ve eaten in.

So, my number one favourite fish ‘n chip joint is in Scarborough, ON (Toronto.) It’s called Fish Joy and it’s on Brimley Road, near Brimorton. It’s been there for close to 40 years I think… Just a little place, mostly take-out. They serve halibut mainly.

I used to work around the corner from there back in 1982. Every Friday my boss would buy us all fish ‘n chips for lunch. It was absolutely the best. The next time I’m in Toronto, I’m going there and I am going to stuff myself senseless.

Where is your favourite Fish ‘n Chips joint?

• Like 1

I am a big fan of fish and chips and look for it on every menu of every restaurant I go too. Even if its not advertised as such, some fried fish and fries are always welcome on my plate. Actually Red Robin has very good fish and chips. Endless fries too. I always get it when we go there.... Yummo :d13:

Narp >>> No T&A in this thread?... :)

Narp –

I forgot to mention that just down the street from Fish Joy is a place where they perform both breast implant surgeries and penile enlargements… and if your onions are stuck to the side of your leg, they’ll get a spatula and scrape ‘em off for you.

• Like 1

Narp >>> No T&A in this thread?... :)

Narp –

I forgot to mention that just down the street from Fish Joy is a place where they perform both breast implant surgeries and penile enlargements… and if your onions are stuck to the side of your leg, they’ll get a spatula and scrape ‘em off for you.

Good to know... :cheers: Thanks. I can always count on you

I can't help snickering every time I see fish tacos on a menu somewhere. Yeah, I know. But there's so much that's funny in the sentence "we ate out and had fish tacos."
  • Like 2

Nothing I've had beats the frsh fish and chips I used to buy from the local wagon when I lived in in Brampton, England, as a kid. Locally, the golf course makes the best. It's even served in a newspaper cone, which is a nice touch.

Man, how I would love to try some real traditional English fish and chips… some day I will go all the way to England and I’ll walk into a pub and get me some of the real deal. Then I’ll go to Scotland and do the same. Then Ireland…

There used to be a chain in the Milwaukee area (could be much bigger area, but I was a kid) called Arthur Treacher's that we would seem to get food from every Friday. I loved their fish. I could have been crap, but I remember the newspaper they packed it in would get clear from soaking up the grease :)

You could get a decent fish fry on nearly every corner in Milwaukee, especially during lent, but there are a few places that have a fish fry so good that you are willing to drive 10 minutes to get to :)

• Like 1

There used to be a chain in the Milwaukee area (could be much bigger area, but I was a kid) called Arthur Treacher's that we would seem to get food from every Friday. I loved their fish. I could have been crap, but I remember the newspaper they packed it in would get clear from soaking up the grease :)

You could get a decent fish fry on nearly every corner in Milwaukee, especially during lent, but there are a few places that have a fish fry so good that you are willing to drive 10 minutes to get to :)

We had Arthur Treachers in MD too. I loved their fish & chips. Like you said it may have been crap but as a teen in the 70's I didn't care...

We also had Arthur Treachers around the early 60's in Miami. 7th ave across from K-mart. It was good. But I think its about the same as Long John Silvers. Its greasy, but the fish tastes great. I also love the malt vinegar. No tartar sauce on fish and chips. Only malt vinegar.

Thanks OP. I now know what to make for dinner!!!!!!! I have some cod in the freezer.

Edited by John V
  • Like 1

We mostly have small independent fish and chip shops in the UK. The only chain I can think of is Harry Ramsden's.

If you're ever in South Wales, check out Youngers in Cardiff- they are amazing. Huge portions and not too greasy. And proper slow cooked mushy peas.

Mac's Fish N' Chips in Santa Barbara.

We have "Arthur Treacher's fish & Chips" as part of the local yokel Miaim Subs chain, but it isn't as good as the old AT restaurnats from back in the Detroit area in the 80's.

Best local place is Ye Olde Falcon Pub in Davie FL,

BUT haven't got out to the Blue Anchor in Delary Beach yet- a real pub, wth a pub's real facade. Haunted, allegedly. Full British menu, including Sunday English breakfast w/ footy on the telly in season. Now that's a pub I gotta check out!

http://www.theblueanchor.com/