2014 MLB Season Thread

RUSHHEAD666

Yanks head into a crucial series in Detroit riding a 5-game winning streak. Just 2.5 games out of a Wild Card spot…let's go, team! Onward, to victory! :madra:

No, I do not like the Cubs, but I do wish they would get competitive soon because I miss the rivalry.

Starting about 2016 or 2017, you're probably going to regret that.

I actually look forward to it. Beating the Cubs these days is about as enjoyable as kicking puppies. I wouldn't mind Chicago not just competing, but making it interesting for the Cardinals (as St. Louis is probably going to be the only other team to consistently compete in the division in the next five to seven years).

Besides... which of these is true of the last time the Cubs won a World Series?

A) World War I had not started

B) The Titanic had not sunk

C) Penicillin had not been invented

D) All of the above

The answer, of course, is "D". In the meantime, the Cardinals have rattled off 27 playoff appearances, 19 pennants, and 11 World Series. There is really nothing to fear from a revitalized Cub organization since they would have to have an incredible run for the next, oh, three decades, to catch the Cardinals on lore and mystique.

And after 106 years and counting, I will be honest, as much as I don't like the Cubs, if they make the post-season, I will pull for them so long as they aren't playing my guys... they are due.

Like I said, it's just not fun anymore!

Who's won more games head to head? Any idea...

Even this year, the Cards are only 7-5 against the Cubs. And the Cubs have outscored them overall. So much for the kicking puppies analogies.

You're not going to hit .330 w RISP every year, you know...

Thanks for making me root for a Boston team :puke: last year.

Edited because I missed a series.

Yes, I am very aware of the fact that over the course of history, the Cubs have the head-to-head series over St. Louis. Coming in to the season it was +30 games for Chicago since the supposed "Modern Era". That is primarily due to the fact that, for their first 30 years, the Cardinals were awful and didn't start their tradition until 1926. By the way, run that number in the last 50 years and it's the Cardinals up +30 - a +60 game swing. But Cub fans can hold on to the lifetime head-to-head record, I will gladly take Lou Brock and 11 World Series! :)

As for the Cardinals only being +2 over Chicago so far this year, I am actually good with that. That last five years have been 2009 + 4 STL, 2010 +3 CHC, 2011 +5 STL, 2012 +3 STL, and 2013 +5 STL. There are 7 games left (4 at Busch, 3 at Wrigley) between the teams this year. It is very likely the Cardinals can end up in the +3 or +4 range again this year and, truly, I think all baseball fans would recognize the Cardinals, who are in a tight race for the division (the play-in Wild Card really does mean you want that division now), playing Chicago 7 times in the last 5 weeks is good for St. Louis, especially since Chicago will likely use September call ups to evaluate for the future.

That said, I do not expect the Cubs to roll over in those 7 games. The reason the seasons are still relatively close with Chicago in a down cycle is the nature of the rivalry. Again, I look forward to the rivalry looking more like it did in the 1980s and 1990s. It is good for the Cardinals. It is good for the Cubs. It is good for baseball.

Plus, a return to the good ol' days of Cards/Cubs, or Cubs/Cards depending upon your perspective, might get ESPN to broadcast some games other than NYY/BOS!

:goodone: :cheers:

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

Both Dodgers and Giants win,

Blue up by five games. Interesting fact during tonight's game. It was the first time all season that Kershaw pitched with the bases loaded. No runs scored. That's an amazing stat!!

• Like 1

Both Dodgers and Giants win,

Blue up by five games. Interesting fact during tonight's game. It was the first time all season that Kershaw pitched with the bases loaded. No runs scored. That's an amazing stat!!

Wow!
  • Like 1

A's lose to the Astros...the ASTROS!

.5 back of the Angels. :facepalm:

:LOL:

There is still time.

True, but since the Cespedes trade the A's are basically playing .500 ball. That worries me.

Their great first half record was built on team effort. Great plays and hits at the right time. I think that chemistry is a delicate balance, and I'm not sure messing with it was a great idea. I suppose on paper bolstering your pitching staff is the right move for the post-season, though. We'll see...

• Like 1

There is still time.

True, but since the Cespedes trade the A's are basically playing .500 ball. That worries me.

Their great first half record was built on team effort. Great plays and hits at the right time. I think that chemistry is a delicate balance, and I'm not sure messing with it was a great idea. I suppose on paper bolstering your pitching staff is the right move for the post-season, though. We'll see...

I hate when that happens. Just leave well enough alone.

• Like 1

There is still time.

I hate when that happens. Just leave well enough alone.

Yeah, they were the best team in the majors...was there a need to get "best-er"?
  • Like 1

Soler with two moon shots, Alcantara takes one deep, Hendricks settles down after a rocky first, and Grimm Ks 4 in the ninth. Cubs take game one, 7-2 at Busch.

Well, the Sox picked a great time to break their losing streak so they could inflict some pain on the Jays and their playoff hopes.

We had playoff hopes? :eh: ;) Sadly, those started fading with the June swoon. I imagine both teams will be meeting at the first tee box the day after the regular season ends.

I'll be surprised if the Blue Jays make it out of The Bronx above .500. :sigh:

But, at least the weather in Maine has been gorgeous these last two weeks. :)

• Like 1

Well, the Sox picked a great time to break their losing streak so they could inflict some pain on the Jays and their playoff hopes.

We had playoff hopes? :eh: ;) Sadly, those started fading with the June swoon. I imagine both teams will be meeting at the first tee box the day after the regular season ends.

Good for you getting to Maine. We were there in July. We were down the Cape this week, and left yesterday before we ended up trapped there in traffic until Columbus Day.

• Like 1

Good for you getting to Maine. We were there in July. We were down the Cape this week, and left yesterday before we ended up trapped there in traffic until Columbus Day.

:LOL: Yeah, if you can see the bridge, you're only four hours from the Cape. Much easier with the flyover now though, eh? :facepalm:

The Cape is lovely though. :)

• Like 1

The wind went out of the Jays' sails at the trade deadline. Since then, they've played horrible and worked their way down the standings. :boo hiss: I feel disappointed and let down. :( They need to make big changes. oh well, it's just a game, there's more important things in life.