How Do I Get My ITunes Library From One PC To Another?

The Cat 3

Greetings from the techincally challenged.

Today's dumb question is...

How Do I Get My ITunes Library From my old PC To my new PC?

Many thanks for any help from one who is afriad of losing 25,000 plus songs.

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/4xU-rJNgoWU/default.jpg

If all of your music is in one place (you haven't changed the defaults and imported from myMusic folder, just copy and paste that folder onto your external drive, put it into another computer and direct iTunes to the itunes folder in mymusic. I recommend putting the copied folder in the same location on the new computer. Meaning just copy the contents into the new computer's mymusic folder.
  • Like 1

So just to be super clear

1. Copy your music folder and all of its contents.
  2. Copy that to the new PC in the same location (make sure it's not mymusic/mymusic, copy the contents of that folder in there so that all locations are the same)
  3. If this is the first time running iTunes on the new computer, I think it will ask you to import your library (I'm not sure with the new, stripped down clean version of the program (goto step 5)
  4. If not, click file/little button thingy and go to preferences, advanced
  5. Set the default folder to mymusic/iTunes and it should import everything as is

NOTE: the last time I did this was before the new restricted version of iTunes. If all else fails and you only want your music, just throw everything into a folder, put that somewhere on the new computer, click import folder and select that folder (don't double click it, select and then press the okay/open button on the window.

• Like 1

So just to be super clear

1. Copy your music folder and all of its contents.

2. Copy that to the new PC in the same location (make sure it's not mymusic/mymusic, copy the contents of that folder in there so that all locations are the same)

3. If this is the first time running iTunes on the new computer, I think it will ask you to import your library (I'm not sure with the new, stripped down clean version of the program (goto step 5)

4. If not, click file/little button thingy and go to preferences, advanced

5. Set the default folder to mymusic/iTunes and it should import everything as is

NOTE: the last time I did this was before the new restricted version of iTunes. If all else fails and you only want your music, just throw everything into a folder, put that somewhere on the new computer, click import folder and select that folder (don't double click it, select and then press the okay/open button on the window.

Will these steps ensure that he keeps his rankings of the songs and playlists?

• Like 1

Not higher function, just more experience with the software. I don't blame you for having trouble figuring this out on iTunes. The latest version is a mess for anyone who tried to do more than import things and play them.
  • Like 1

Different iTunes issue. I restored my iPod via iTunes and now whenever it's plugged the iPod will say connected and it will show up in My Computer. Yet iTunes won't recognize it and instantly freezes when it's plugged in.

Try this: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1369