Internet speed question

FountainOfSyrinx

Okay. So, I'm moving into my own apartment for my sophomore year here in Lincoln, and I've decided against getting cable TV. I'm just going with internet. (I have NHL GameCenter, MLB.TV, Netflix, DVDs, etc.. no need for cable.) Because I'll be streaming a lot of videos, obviously I want a pretty good internet speed. The problem is, I have no clue what speed should be sufficient. Based on internet research, I've found that I'll at least need 20 mbps. However, I could jump to 30 mbps. Obviously, I'm in college and not trying to break the bank, but also not trying to break my computer/iPad due to slow internet. I've done various speed tests on all my devices using the on-campus WiFi, but every single time I do a test, the result ends up being different. The speed test differences have been so drastic that they're basically inconclusive as to what speed internet will be enough.

So.... Is 20 mbps good for HD streaming or should I hop up to 30?

Thanks,folks.

If you're just streaming, 10 mbps should have you covered. I have 6 mpbs and if I let netflix buffer for 5 minutes before starting a movie I get 1080i without having to pause assuming no one else is using the network.

One thing you should consider is the router (the thing broadcasting the wireless signal). Usually the modem ISPs give you also doubles as a router. From experience the broadcast range and speed tends to be garbage, so you may want to invest in getting your own router and disabling the wireless transmission of the one provided. I recommend something by Cisco/Linksys.

EDIT: clarification

Edited by USB Connector

If you're just streaming, 10 mbps should have you covered. I have 6 mpbs and if I let netflix buffer for 5 minutes before starting a movie I get 1080i without having to pause assuming no one else is using the network.

One thing you should consider is the router (the thing broadcasting the wireless signal). Usually the modem ISPs give you also doubles as a router. From experience the broadcast range and speed tends to be garbage, so you may want to invest in getting your own router and disabling the wireless transmission of the one provided. I recommend something by Cisco/Linksys.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into getting a router. We had Linksys back home, and I never had a problem with it - even when I was all the way across the house. The apartment is fairly small (it's a studio), so I would hope Linksys would be good in there, too.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into getting a router. We had Linksys back home, and I never had a problem with it - even when I was all the way across the house. The apartment is fairly small (it's a studio), so I would hope Linksys would be good in there, too.

You're welcome. If you're going to be the only person using the internet then the router you get should be fine. An area that size should easily be covered. It's more the amount of devices it can handle simultaneously I'd worry about. I've found that more than 3 using bandwidth simultaneously can cause a drop in efficiency, even if they're using fractions of your speed.

If you'd like some numbers to go with that I found this: http://hometheater.about.com/od/internethometheater2/a/Internet-Speed-for-Netflix-Vudu.htm

There's a lowercase b in their Mb/s, so it's in bits, same as ISPs. 10 is theoretically overkill, but since you're sacrificing TV may as well make sure you can watch something high quality.

If I can offer a suggestion. You can go to monoprice.com and get a modem and a router for probably under $100 and it will save you on the $5-10 dollar fee the cable company will charge you to use theirs. If you keep the service longer than a year it will pay for itself in savings.

I also agree that 20Mbps is plenty for what you are doing.

Just be sure to check out what kind of network card you have in your PC\laptop and make sure you get a router that will use those speeds. If you can tell me what kind of network card you have I can link you routers that you can use.

• Like 1

If I can offer a suggestion. You can go to monoprice.com and get a modem and a router for probably under $100 and it will save you on the $5-10 dollar fee the cable company will charge you to use theirs. If you keep the service longer than a year it will pay for itself in savings.

Just be sure to check out what kind of network card you have in your PC\laptop and make sure you get a router that will use those speeds. If you can tell me what kind of network card you have I can link you routers that you can use.

By the time I'll be ordering this, I'll most likely have a MacBook Pro.. Does that change anything?

By the time I'll be ordering this, I'll most likely have a MacBook Pro.. Does that change anything?

No. I assume you will be using wireless networking only? Can you post a link to the one you are getting or post the specs?

The device is irrelant to the connection you need. The data being transmitted and received is the same. Pretty much every laptop is equipped with a solid wireless card, so you're good to go.

The device is irrelant to the connection you need. The data being transmitted and received is the same. Pretty much every laptop is equipped with a solid wireless card, so you're good to go.

I am an android/Windows guy. From what I read though, a mac book pro comes with a wireless ac card so pretty much any ac or n router will work. They are both way faster than your internet connection so either will do.

I am an android/Windows guy. From what I read though, a mac book pro comes with a wireless ac card so pretty much any ac or n router will work. They are both way faster than your internet connection so either will do.

Thanks for the help. I'm sure it'll be fine with whatever computer I have.

I use this:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=105&cp_id=10521&cs_id=1052102&p_id=9918&seq=1&format=2&utm_expid=58369800-11.R-enhtUGRrSdHz5vzpVS2g.0&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.monoprice.com%2FCategory%3Fc_id%3D105%26cp_id%3D10521%26cs_id%3D1052102

But I do not use the USB feature and if you are not going to use it either then you can save a few dollars and get this:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=105&cp_id=10521&cs_id=1052102&p_id=9919&seq=1&format=2&utm_expid=58369800-11.R-enhtUGRrSdHz5vzpVS2g.0&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.monoprice.com%2FCategory%3Fc_id%3D105%26cp_id%3D10521%26cs_id%3D1052102

If you can tell me who your ISP is then I can link modems for you.

I use this:

http://www.monoprice...1&cs_id=1052102

But I do not use the USB feature and if you are not going to use it either then you can save a few dollars and get this:

My ISP when I order the service will be Time Warner. But this will be in early May, assuming everything goes to plan (apartment, life in general, etc.).

Curious: it says 600 mpbs. Is that the maximum speed it can put out?

I went with this one:

http://gizmodo.com/the-router-known-as-the-dark-knight-is-your-deal-of-the-511927491

After doing some research, this router was the only one on 4 different "top 10" lists. I have been quite happy with it

I use this:

My ISP when I order the service will be Time Warner. But this will be in early May, assuming everything goes to plan (apartment, life in general, etc.).

Yes provided your network adapter can use both channels. Depending on your NIC it may only be 300Mbps. Keep in mind that LAN speed is really only important in so far as you are copying or communicating with other machines on your LAN. Given that your ISP will give you 20Mbps, your bottleneck will be at the ISP and not on the LAN. Technically a wireless G router operating at 100Mbps would do you just as much good as it is still 5 times faster than the internet can go.

Now if you want to network a bunch of things at your house and let them communicate with each other then LAN speed becomes more important.

I use this:

Yes provided your network adapter can use both channels. Depending on your NIC it may only be 300Mbps. Keep in mind that LAN speed is really only important in so far as you are copying or communicating with other machines on your LAN. Given that your ISP will give you 20Mbps, your bottleneck will be at the ISP and not on the LAN. Technically a wireless G router operating at 100Mbps would do you just as much good as it is still 5 times faster than the internet can go.

Now if you want to network a bunch of things at your house and let them communicate with each other then LAN speed becomes more important.

(typing this from the Mac :D-13: )

I doubt I will do anything super special. A simple router/connection should be good for my live streaming, based on what I've gathered from this thread :D

Pick a modem.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/residential-home/support/topics/internet/buy-your-modem.html

I like Motorolla. I have a sb6121. I looked on Newegg and Amazon and the prices are higher than I remember.

From what you have said previously it sounds like you are going with the turbo package. You can pick any of the modems in the first chart. Some have wi-fi built in so you would only need that one device instead of having to buy a router as well, provided you will be using wireless only.

sb6121: http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SB6121-SURFboard-DOCSIS/dp/B004XC6GJ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393084678&sr=8-1&keywords=motorola+sb6121

sb6141: http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SURFboard-SB6141-DOCSIS-High-Speed/dp/B007IMPMW4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1393084775&sr=8-3&keywords=motorola+sb6121

sb6580 with wi-fi: http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SURFboard-Gateway-SBG6580-Wireless/dp/B0040IUI46/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393084932&sr=8-1&keywords=motorola+sb6580

I would not buy one used or refurbished.

From what you have said previously it sounds like you are going with the turbo package. You can pick any of the modems in the first chart. Some have wi-fi built in so you would only need that one device instead of having to buy a router as well, provided you will be using wireless only.

I'm difficult, I know. But would the wi-fi/modem combo take away the option to use ethernet?

I'm difficult, I know. But would the wi-fi/modem combo take away the option to use ethernet?

No. Every modem should have at least 2 ethernet ports.

Okay, cool. I want to make sure I have the ability to do both. Based on that list, I was thinking Netgear? I'm familiar with the brand.. Always seemed to me like a solid product.

Okay, cool. I want to make sure I have the ability to do both. Based on that list, I was thinking Netgear? I'm familiar with the brand.. Always seemed to me like a solid product.

I've yet to see a modem/router incapable of doing both simultaneously. I don't have any first hand experience with netgear. I've only tried D-Link and Cisco/Linksys' products and both are quite good but I tend to favor Cisco/Linksys because my Linksys router has yet to fail me or even have a single hiccup.

Well a modem might only have one ethernet port if it is only a modem. It will have a coax connection for the cable line coming in and then at least one ethernet out that can be hooked to a router or directly to a network node.

The sb6580 that I linked above is essentially two devices in one. It is a modem with a built in 4 port router with wi-fi capability. So if you buy that you can connect to the wi-fi, plug wired devices directly into it or piggyback a switch off of it to get more ports.

If I was buying just a modem I would go with a Motorolla. If I was going to buy a single multi device then I agree with USBConnector. Cisco/Linksys is the way to go.

Whatever you decide to buy, just link it first and we can point out any things that you should consider before purchasing.

Well a modem might only have one ethernet port if it is only a modem. It will have a coax connection for the cable line coming in and then at least one ethernet out that can be hooked to a router or directly to a network node.

The sb6580 that I linked above is essentially two devices in one. It is a modem with a built in 4 port router with wi-fi capability. So if you buy that you can connect to the wi-fi, plug wired devices directly into it or piggyback a switch off of it to get more ports.

My bad. When I shopped for a modem I never came across one.

When I get closer to making the purchase (a la May), I'll without a doubt be back here :D. Good to get some info. I'll also talk to the cable guys a little.