Jump to content


Valentine's Day

What a bunch of bullshit...

  • Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#41 Janie

Janie

    Rush Caption Queen

  • Members *
  • 16549 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Seattle, WA

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

My husband has been conditioned his entire life that you send a dozen red roses on Valentine's Day. I hate roses. I really wish he would get other flowers. But every year it's the roses. I always prefer to do something weird and funky (it's just my style) but that is always met with, "Why can't you be normal?"

So, I'm being normal this year and making a nice, normal dinner and playing normal music.

Sponsored Post

#42 gangsterfurious

gangsterfurious

    Dita Von Sneeze

  • Members *
  • 5880 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Somewhere in the Ether... or Ethanol.
  • Interests:Glitter, yoga, Hello Kitty, epsom salt baths, Tic-Tacs, sparkling mineral water, finding the cure for eczema, pajama pants, cupcakes, colored paper-clips, post-it notes, liquid Advil, etc...

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

View PostJanie, on 14 February 2014 - 03:59 PM, said:

My husband has been conditioned his entire life that you send a dozen red roses on Valentine's Day. I hate roses. I really wish he would get other flowers. But every year it's the roses. I always prefer to do something weird and funky (it's just my style) but that is always met with, "Why can't you be normal?"

So, I'm being normal this year and making a nice, normal dinner and playing normal music.

Red roses are banned in my home.

#43 ReGorLaTroy

ReGorLaTroy

    Modern Day Alice Cooper

  • Members *
  • 12548 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North of Dragontown

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:24 PM

:heart:  :heart:  :heart:  :heart:  :heart:   :heart:  :heart:  :heart:  :heart:   :heart:  :heart:  :heart:  :heart:   :heart:  :heart:  :heart:  :heart:  :heart:


I love Valentine's Day.


A great reminder as to how fortunate of a man I am to have found the girl of my dreams.


A random. or not so random, excuse set on each new year's calender

to remind that girl that she means the world to me.


Yeah, I buy into it all right...love is good thing and it is a great cause to celebrate.


:heart:  :heart:  :heart:  :heart:  :heart:   :heart:  :heart:  :heart:  :heart:   :heart:  :heart:  :heart:  :heart:   :heart:  :heart:  :heart:  :heart:  :heart:


Edited by ReGorLaTroy, 14 February 2014 - 04:25 PM.


#44 Ya_Big_Tree

Ya_Big_Tree

    "I'm your ch-ch-cherry bomb!"

  • Members *
  • 14818 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:A Vortex
  • Interests:Anything that I find interesting obviously interests me.

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

We're post-poning Valentines Day. We have to put down our sweet sick cat tomorrow so we're both full of anxiety and depressed. :(

Don't mean to dampen anyone else's day.

:(

#45 Chicken hawk

Chicken hawk

    The Sphere

  • Members
  • 8319 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Maine
  • Interests:The Ocean

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

Buying flowers is not easy for men.




:blush: :blush: Thats why it means so much to us Woman !     (Or it would mean so much )

#46 Thunder Bay Rush

Thunder Bay Rush

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1196 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Shore, Nova Scotia, CAN
  • Interests:Rush, Rush, Rush, drums, living off-grid, fishing, hunting, cooking, gardening, raising and growing my own food! Farting in crowded elevators... silent or otherwise.

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

Soooooooooooooooooooo, Gangster… was my assumption correct?

Did you get nailed?  I’m not the only one who wants to know…

#47 ThatLightInYourEyes

ThatLightInYourEyes

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1596 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:"Underwater by the end of this century!" rave the climatologists.
  • Interests:Trying. Just trying.

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

Posted Image

#48 Narps

Narps

    Official TRF Pace Car Driver

  • Members
  • 27723 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Myrtle Beach SC
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:16 PM

View PostThunder Bay Rush, on 14 February 2014 - 07:27 PM, said:

Soooooooooooooooooooo, Gangster… was my assumption correct?

Did you get nailed?  I’m not the only one who wants to know…
I think she's west coast time. We. And I do mean "we" may have to wait to find out.... :)

#49 Mara

Mara

    Hindu Goddess of Death

  • Members *
  • 25526 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Marietta, Georgia, USA
  • Interests:Reading (historical fiction, Cold War political intrigue esp). Playing with my dogs, hiking, working out like a maniac. Thoroughbred racing.

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

View PostDel_Duio, on 14 February 2014 - 10:56 AM, said:

View Postgangsterfurious, on 14 February 2014 - 10:55 AM, said:

No, that's like saying it's okay to give your girl a Christmas present in the middle of July.

Naw, Christmas is for the birth of Christ.
Valentine's day is to sell candy and flowers and teddy bears for 300% of Feb 13th's prices.

You can always hit up the store on 2/15 and get the stuff for half price.  "But look, honey, I got you TWICE as much!"

#50 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

    Twin City Cub Fan

  • Members *
  • 69763 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:suburban Minneapolis
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:27 PM

Quote

WASHINGTON—Confirming that it’s “all come down to this,” the nation’s girlfriends admitted Thursday that, despite anything they may have said or implied in the past, absolutely everything hinges on the outcome of this Valentine’s Day.

Describing the evening as “the indisputable make-or-break moment of our relationships,” the girlfriends explained that if Valentine’s Day fails, in any way, to live up to their standards, or if at any point they sense that not enough effort went into the occasion, then things are as good as over.

“Look, I’m gonna cut the shit here: I’ve basically funneled all my hopes for the future into this one night in which my boyfriend must achieve perfection, or else we’re through,” Virginia Beach area girlfriend Jenna Boyce, 27, told reporters, noting that she will be able to tell immediately if her boyfriend cheaps out on the flowers he has bought her or throws his gift together at the very last minute. “I expect an amazing, thoughtful, nearly flawless experience, one that is simultaneously fun and romantic, and a night I will remember for the rest of my life. Anything short of that, and I walk.”

“I know I’ve stated in the past that I believe Valentine’s Day is dumb and that it’s a commercial holiday and that it doesn’t matter to me, but I was lying,” Boyce added, in total concurrence with every other girlfriend in the country. “That was total horseshit. I, in fact, care more about this than anything, by far.”

The nation’s girlfriends admitted to reporters, and to anyone who cared to know, that nothing their boyfriends have ever done for them in the past, including any and all good deeds previously rendered, will matter in the slightest if they don’t make tomorrow a day to remember.

The assembled women then confirmed that they expect the following things tomorrow, and they “don’t give one flying f**k” if these expectations make them appear either old-fashioned, demanding, or unrealistic: flowers; repeated romantic gestures and signs of physical affection; compliments; assorted gifts of an emotionally resonant nature; a dinner that is sufficiently high-end yet also warm and intimate; two to three fond recollections of the relationship’s origins; an outfit and attention to personal dress on the part of the boyfriend that shows he cares; extended eye contact; highly engaged conversation; no spared details; no mistakes; no jokes that in any way undermine the seriousness and romantic gravity of the evening; no mention of money or cost; and a minimum of 25 utterances of the word “love.”

“And if you don’t like it, that is too f***ing bad, because this is the attitude I am walking into tomorrow with and there is nothing you or anyone else can do to alter or subdue that attitude,” said Seattle area girlfriend Sonia Moreno, 31, noting that Valentine’s Day will be the sole metric she will use to gauge her boyfriend’s worth and romantic commitment. “That’s the reality. It’s all come down to this. And so, come tomorrow, I suppose myself and every girlfriend in America will find out for sure if their relationship has a future or not.”

The nation’s girlfriends also confirmed that if their boyfriends are able to go all out and make tomorrow truly special, then there is no reason why they couldn’t make a similar effort on every other day of the year too.

http://www.theonion....eview:4:Default

#51 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 17681 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:39 AM

View PostThe Analog Grownup, on 14 February 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

View PostDigital Man, on 14 February 2014 - 10:56 AM, said:

View Postgangsterfurious, on 14 February 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

I say let's play a game called "Will my husband remember it's Valentine's Day and bring me something?" Start placing bets guys. My bet is on NO. The only time I get anything from him is when he thinks he's upset me badly enough to warrant a bouquet of flowers.

That's too bad but I guess not uncommon, I really hope you are exaggerating some of your stories.

A few months ago my 15 year old son asked me to pick up some flowers so he could give them to a girl at school.  I was standing in line with a bouquet of roses and the lady in front of me turned around and looked at the flowers and said "What did you do wrong"?

It's crazy, but that is the first thought that comes to my mind when I see a bloke with a bouquet of flowers in his hand. And the few times I've been the one with flowers in my hands (no I didn't do anything wrong haha) I've felt the same kind of looks on me.

Buying flowers is not easy for men.

I respectfully disagree.

I didn't buy flowers for Valentines Day, but I have done it other random times, for no particular reason. In terms of the real effort involved, it requires very little. And she likes having a nice bouquet of flowers in the house, so...I do that. It's not difficult, and it's something that makes her happy.

And I don't believe anyone who has ever seen me holding flowers has asked me what I did wrong. (If they wonder it privately, that's their business. I really don't care).

#52 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 17681 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:41 AM

View PostJanie, on 14 February 2014 - 03:59 PM, said:

I always prefer to do something weird and funky (it's just my style) but that is always met with, "Why can't you be normal?"

I'm sorry to hear that. I used to get that all time, too- certainly not just on one occasion out of the year.

#53 gangsterfurious

gangsterfurious

    Dita Von Sneeze

  • Members *
  • 5880 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Somewhere in the Ether... or Ethanol.
  • Interests:Glitter, yoga, Hello Kitty, epsom salt baths, Tic-Tacs, sparkling mineral water, finding the cure for eczema, pajama pants, cupcakes, colored paper-clips, post-it notes, liquid Advil, etc...

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:33 AM

View PostThunder Bay Rush, on 14 February 2014 - 07:27 PM, said:

Soooooooooooooooooooo, Gangster… was my assumption correct?

Did you get nailed?  I’m not the only one who wants to know…

The procedure was reconvened, yes.

#54 Rhyta

Rhyta

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 931 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Utah
  • Interests:Sci-fi/fantasy shows and books, reading, hockey and Rush of course!

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:47 AM

View Postcrimsonfrippy, on 14 February 2014 - 10:44 AM, said:

View PostThunder Bay Rush, on 13 February 2014 - 08:34 PM, said:

Like almost all other holidays or days of some special significance, I’m not one to get sucked into all the commercialism or basically, bullshit, of Valentine’s Day.

The very next day after the stores put all their Halloween shit away, we started hearing about it.  On our radios, on our televisions, in our newspapers and on our computer screens we constantly hear that we are supposed to go out for dinner, buy each other gifts, cards, flowers, chocolates, retarded stuffed animals… why?  I don’t need anyone to tell me that I am supposed to do all of these things, nor, do I need to get gifts (or nor do I need to buy gifts) in order to know someone loves me.   I avoid Valentine’s Day 100%.

Here’s an idea:  Rather than waiting for a certain day when we’re expected to do all this stuff, why not do it at random times throughout the year for no reason at all, other than you love someone.  Walk in the door after work on July 17th with a nice little gift and say, “Come on, we’re goin’ out for a nice dinner.”  No reason…

Funniest thing ever – go to any Canadian WAL MART at about 5:30pm on any February 14 and you’ll see about 20 Canadian hosers standing there with their bush jackets and ball caps, standing in front of the “big scary wall.”  That’s the Valentine’s Day card rack… they all look scared, nervous and completely out of their element.  Each of them is thinking to himself two words… “Oh shit.”  He’s thinking he better “pick the right one.”  

Since my birthday is July 16 I see no problem with my husband saying on July 17th lets go out to dinner.  Then I get to go out two nights in a row!!!

:D-13:
I'm with crimson frippy 'cause the 17th is my birthday.... :yes: .  I'm also in agreement with Gangsterfurious, if your gal thinks it is important, then it is important.  Previous spouse used the excuse not to buy me flowers because I worked in a florist shop...you must be tired of them..well NO.  As time has gone by, I don't mind if I don't get flowers on Valentine because I know my hubby gives me lots of things throughout the rest of the year (as others spoke of here).  I think I wanted flowers so badly from my ex because I wasn't sure he really loved me and I needed a demonstration through a public gesture.  When I was divorced, I bought them for myself and had them sent to my work.  It was fun to have my co-workers wondering who sent them.  :rose:

#55 gangsterfurious

gangsterfurious

    Dita Von Sneeze

  • Members *
  • 5880 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Somewhere in the Ether... or Ethanol.
  • Interests:Glitter, yoga, Hello Kitty, epsom salt baths, Tic-Tacs, sparkling mineral water, finding the cure for eczema, pajama pants, cupcakes, colored paper-clips, post-it notes, liquid Advil, etc...

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:50 AM

View PostRhyta, on 15 February 2014 - 11:47 AM, said:

View Postcrimsonfrippy, on 14 February 2014 - 10:44 AM, said:

View PostThunder Bay Rush, on 13 February 2014 - 08:34 PM, said:

Like almost all other holidays or days of some special significance, I’m not one to get sucked into all the commercialism or basically, bullshit, of Valentine’s Day.

The very next day after the stores put all their Halloween shit away, we started hearing about it.  On our radios, on our televisions, in our newspapers and on our computer screens we constantly hear that we are supposed to go out for dinner, buy each other gifts, cards, flowers, chocolates, retarded stuffed animals… why?  I don’t need anyone to tell me that I am supposed to do all of these things, nor, do I need to get gifts (or nor do I need to buy gifts) in order to know someone loves me.   I avoid Valentine’s Day 100%.

Here’s an idea:  Rather than waiting for a certain day when we’re expected to do all this stuff, why not do it at random times throughout the year for no reason at all, other than you love someone.  Walk in the door after work on July 17th with a nice little gift and say, “Come on, we’re goin’ out for a nice dinner.”  No reason…

Funniest thing ever – go to any Canadian WAL MART at about 5:30pm on any February 14 and you’ll see about 20 Canadian hosers standing there with their bush jackets and ball caps, standing in front of the “big scary wall.”  That’s the Valentine’s Day card rack… they all look scared, nervous and completely out of their element.  Each of them is thinking to himself two words… “Oh shit.”  He’s thinking he better “pick the right one.”  

Since my birthday is July 16 I see no problem with my husband saying on July 17th lets go out to dinner.  Then I get to go out two nights in a row!!!

:D-13:
I'm with crimson frippy 'cause the 17th is my birthday.... :yes: .  I'm also in agreement with Gangsterfurious, if your gal thinks it is important, then it is important.  Previous spouse used the excuse not to buy me flowers because I worked in a florist shop...you must be tired of them..well NO.  As time has gone by, I don't mind if I don't get flowers on Valentine because I know my hubby gives me lots of things throughout the rest of the year (as others spoke of here).  I think I wanted flowers so badly from my ex because I wasn't sure he really loved me and I needed a demonstration through a public gesture.  When I was divorced, I bought them for myself and had them sent to my work.  It was fun to have my co-workers wondering who sent them.  :rose:

Ha, I used to work in a jewelry store and had somebody use that excuse, especially because he knew about the discount I got. He was single, jobless, and living on his dad's couch last time I checked.

#56 Maverick

Maverick

    SWEDGIN!

  • Members *
  • 24293 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Low Earth Orbit
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:31 PM

Posted Image

#57 Thunder Bay Rush

Thunder Bay Rush

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1196 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Shore, Nova Scotia, CAN
  • Interests:Rush, Rush, Rush, drums, living off-grid, fishing, hunting, cooking, gardening, raising and growing my own food! Farting in crowded elevators... silent or otherwise.

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:38 PM

Way to go, Gangst’ !!!!

#58 Principled Man

Principled Man

    Mathematical Porn Star

  • Members *
  • 10302 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Wisconsin
  • Interests:Rush
    The Green Bay Packers
    The Milwaukee Brewers
    Monty Python
    Cincinnati Chili
    Refreshing Beverages
    Golf, bowling, and Blu-ray
    TRAVEL
    Getting Slim & Trim
    And everything astronomical, cosmological, whatever can be measured in light-years.....out there in that Great Big Magnificent Universe!!

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

View PostJanie, on 14 February 2014 - 03:59 PM, said:

So, I'm being normal this year and making a nice, normal dinner and playing normal music.

Sell-out.......you disgust me.  :tsk: ;)  :P

#59 Boots

Boots

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3037 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:The Final Frontier
  • Interests:art, supernatural, Holy Trinity of Metal, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Opeth

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:19 PM

I've renamed February 14 Mindless Self Indulgence Day.

#60 Maverick

Maverick

    SWEDGIN!

  • Members *
  • 24293 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Low Earth Orbit
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:02 PM

I'm renaming it "Alaskan King Crab legs, filet mignon, and winery visit day."

Wish me luck!





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: What a bunch of bullshit...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users