The "I Hate Facebook" Thread

ThatLightInYourEyes

I hate that I spend so much time there.

But I like how it keeps me in touch with friends I don't see that often.

There's a reason you don't see them often.

Yes, and that reason is usually we live too far from one another.

I'm not friends (FB or otherwise) with people I do not like.

Yeah, how much do stamps cost these days?

Are you suggesting that people write? On paper? :wacko:

No. Papyrus mebbe.

When you made the stamps comment I immediately thought about the face my daughter would make if I had made a statement like that and it made me laugh.

"Yes dear we used to write notes on paper and actually send it to people through he mail."

• Like 1

When Facebook started out, it was fun. There were cheesy little things you could add to your page, it was a very personalized and (I think) user-friendly experience.

Now, I feel like it's a sign of things to come in our society. But that is my conspiracy theory.

Now we have to only add people we "know", categorize them, and let the NSA see what we say to them. Nothing is really personalized anymore in a fun way but they want to know what we watch on tv, how many years we worked at each job, what we did exactly, who on our list we worked with. When we add friends they want us to answer a poll stating how close we really are to the new person on our list.

It's become Creeperbook. I can't wait for the day it goes the direction of MySpace when nobody gives a shit about it anymore.

I agree. Normally these kind of "social" sites die a natural death, but I'm amazed that facebook has survived for 10 years. I hope and pray that eventually the bubble will burst, but nothing happens. One day you'll probably have to file your tax return via facebook.

• Like 1

When Facebook started out, it was fun. There were cheesy little things you could add to your page, it was a very personalized and (I think) user-friendly experience.

Now, I feel like it's a sign of things to come in our society. But that is my conspiracy theory.

Now we have to only add people we "know", categorize them, and let the NSA see what we say to them. Nothing is really personalized anymore in a fun way but they want to know what we watch on tv, how many years we worked at each job, what we did exactly, who on our list we worked with. When we add friends they want us to answer a poll stating how close we really are to the new person on our list.

It's become Creeperbook. I can't wait for the day it goes the direction of MySpace when nobody gives a shit about it anymore.

I always had a hunch some government agency had access to fb that abused it. Shortly after it came out there was a moderately serious incident at our school that involved some facebook posts. It took about a day for the authorities to gain access to a the person's private profile and gain the posts in question through (presumably) legal channels that did not involve the person logging on and showing them. It was pretty apparent that privacy did not exist.

I was on facebook for about a year or two when random strangers tried adding my girlfriend that had a public profile (I had already set it to private), asking her for everything from nudes to a date to a good old friendship. Needless to say it didn't take long for her to change her profile to private.

So aside from the fact that the interface gets worse with each new update, it's business as usual for me. Since I learned to use a computer I've been taught that anything posted to the internet can be assumed to be viewed by everyone.

I always had a hunch some government agency had access to fb that abused it. Shortly after it came out there was a moderately serious incident at our school that involved some facebook posts. It took about a day for the authorities to gain access to a the person's private profile and gain the posts in question through (presumably) legal channels that did not involve the person logging on and showing them. It was pretty apparent that privacy did not exist.

I was on facebook for about a year or two when random strangers tried adding my girlfriend that had a public profile (I had already set it to private), asking her for everything from nudes to a date to a good old friendship. Needless to say it didn't take long for her to change her profile to private.

So aside from the fact that the interface gets worse with each new update, it's business as usual for me. Since I learned to use a computer I've been taught that anything posted to the internet can be assumed to be viewed by everyone.

And may I add that nothing you put on the Internet can be deleted again. And also this quote: "If it's free then you're the product".

• Like 1

I saw a local news story here, two days ago, about a woman who had lots of pictures of her baby posted on Facebook, and a friend of hers texted a photo of the baby that was used in a 'sponsored ad' for Crest Whitestrips. They didn't notify this woman, and they didn't ask permission. And it's totally legal; it's in their licensing agreement, which you all apparently have agreed to. Facebook is allowed to use any photo or whatever has been posted on their pages, seemingly In any capacity they wish.

Again- I'm so very glad I've never been a member.

The erosion of our personal privacy in this country is rather disturbing. Still, it provides a good lesson for all of us: If you want to be private, then YOU must keep yourself private. YOU must refrain from putting anything you want private out in the public sphere. It's YOUR privacy, therefore it's YOUR responsibility.

Every word you utter, every photo or video you take, will be public property ONLY IF you allow it.

• Like 2

The issues with copyright and Facebook has made me link to my Flickr page if it's a picture I'm serious about. Crappy snapshots go directly to Facebook, as I'm pretty sure it is of no interest to anyone. Facebook cannot claim ownership of anything that's not hosted on their site.

I'm not on it so I have no complaints

You're lucky. I'm one of those who keeps trying to leave, only to find out that it's taken over everything now. Pure evil. :fuckinputer:

I do miss out on some things but it's no big deal.

I think Facebook is the stupidest thing I’ve seen. Why anyone would go on there and tell the world all their personal shit is beyond me. All Facebook does is create problems for people sometime after they post this or that.

And – do people not realize they are getting their private info ripped off and potentially used by seriously bad people?

Why, why, why people do this sort of thing is beyond me. This Rush Forum is the ONLY website I go on and enter anything. Only because I’m a Rush fan and it’s fun to hear from other like-minded fans.

Side note – for some reason, I’d just love to slap that little Zuckerberg punk in the nuts.

• Like 2

Sadly it is a necessary evil for me. If somebody can tell me a better way to promote my bands shows to 700 people at the click of a button... I'm in.

When you're advertising something go to where the people are... and that's where they are. :huh:

Sadly it is a necessary evil for me. If somebody can tell me a better way to promote my bands shows to 700 people at the click of a button... I'm in.

When you're advertising something go to where the people are... and that's where they are. :huh:

You gotta dance my friend..... :)
  • Like 1

Kenny, you are so right. For commercial intents, political and businesses, et cetera, it’s great. I meant for private people with no business interests, I think it’s so stupid. A complete invasion of privacy (self-inflicted to some degree) and way too much drama… (“I can’t believe what so and so said about me on Facebook. What a goddam bitch!”)

Here in Ontario, last year, someone had posted on FB that they were going to Cuba for a holiday. Then, when they were gone, someone totally robbed their house. I guess the crooks “somehow” knew they’d be out of town. Why would anyone find it necessary to tell hundreds of “friends” (whom they’ve never met 95% of) that they’re going on holiday?

I just don’t know where people find the time. I’m actually somewhat embarrassed that I can “find the time” to go on this site…

Kenny, you are so right. For commercial intents, political and businesses, et cetera, it’s great. I meant for private people with no business interests, I think it’s so stupid. A complete invasion of privacy (self-inflicted to some degree) and way too much drama… (“I can’t believe what so and so said about me on Facebook. What a goddam bitch!”)

Here in Ontario, last year, someone had posted on FB that they were going to Cuba for a holiday. Then, when they were gone, someone totally robbed their house. I guess the crooks “somehow” knew they’d be out of town. Why would anyone find it necessary to tell hundreds of “friends” (whom they’ve never met 95% of) that they’re going on holiday?

I just don’t know where people find the time. I’m actually somewhat embarrassed that I can “find the time” to go on this site…

I agree. People love drama I guess. If I wasn't using it as a marketing tool I wouldn't be on it either.

I just get on here when I'm working. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/images/smilies/peepwall.gif

• Like 1

Countless updates with photos of animals with captions like they're some sort of human.

When people write updates they should rather share with a friend offline instead.

Profile pictures where (and this is sadly only women who do that) they try to look so pretty and doll like, they end up looking almost cross eyed and a little dead. Oh, and the duckface. WTF?

Likewhores!

When people on Facebook goes into overdrive in weepy stories and everybody shares and likes. I don't care and most of it is probably fake.

There is most likely a lot more, but this is what I could think of.

:unsure:

At least I don't duckface or look cross eyed.

• Like 2

I have a major dislike due to a personal issue with a former friend. Basically she said my life is sooo busy I can't find two hours once a year to get together so you'll just have to see my posts on facebook :wtf: I see she can post every damn day on Facebook so I guess I am just sh*t out of luck huh? So I just don't bother...I don't have an account but I can look on a relative's fb page when needed. FB just gives people permission to act like assholes with little consequences for their lousy behavior. I guess I spend a bit of time online on other sites (TRF included) but I don't go on every day Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 2