Documentaries

Mr. Not

It was quite awhile ago (2-3 months ago) but I saw Love Child which is a documentary on a case in Korea where couple who were gaming addicts let their baby die while they were more occupied with caring for their "virtual child". Pretty disturbing in context, I wouldn't say it's spectacular cause it left me with more questions than answers (i.e. use this incident to probe into issues with gaming addiction) but it did a good job of covering the nuts and bolts of this incident to those unaware of this incident.

I watched a documentary on the ill fated 2008 K2 summit where 11 mountaineers were killed. Fascinating story but the documentary was very disjointed and hard to follow.

I've decided that there are two things I hate about some documentaries.

1. I hate it when they try to be artsy. Dramatic pauses, fade-ins and outs, jerky cinematography all detract from the subject.

2. I don't like propaganda pieces that pass themselves off as documentaries.

Documentaries should be educational and this should be their ultimate goal. They should be clear, concise and relatively non-biased. I like narration and this was one of the reasons the doc about K2 was so difficult to follow. I don't like documentaries that don't have narration.

I think Ken Burns makes excellent documentaries.

Agreed. Your second reason is why I stayed away from Documentaries altogether for the longest time. I like unbiased / educational docs the most, but I now sometimes will bravely go into a documentary arguing for one side with the acknowledgement that it's biased.. If I find it too ridiculous I'll switch it off within minutes without regret.

Tonight I'm planning on watching "Secrets of the Physics", and maybe some others.

When Docs get too political or trying to tell what to think I usually stay away.

The Snowden Doc to me, walked that fine line very well.

I was interested in the STORY. Not people's opinion on free speech vs. Traitor.

How long it took to properly break that open was fascinating.

But any Docs about Politics to me are usually bypassed...due to bias

I watched that damn Eagles documentary on Netflix. I went in feeling kind of indifferent about the Eagles and came away *hating* the Eagles (and I don't use that word lightly). I still like Joe Walsh (his body of work stands on its own), but, boy do I hate the Eagles now. I still like Randy Meisner and like Bernie Leadon and Timothy B. Schmidt seems rather innocuous.

I've also learned that Ginger Baker is a bit of an ass and one should beware of him.

I did not hate The Eagles after this.

I hated Don Henley and Glenn Frey.

Greddy, F'N Hippies.

Yes, they are the worst aspects of the the Eagles. Felder never got the respect he deserved in that band and Henley - Frey sure do think a lot of themselves. Henley is so good he couldn't handle music theory and dropped out of North Texas (of course, he's sold many million more albums than I have, so I really can't talk) and Frey is just a pompous ass.

JMO, of course.

I notice we have an intersecting show! January 19, 1988 - Reunion Arena - Dallas, Texas (Tommy Shaw) :cheers:

• Like 1

Grizzly Man if it's not in the previous posts (TL;DR). Great doc that attempts to get inside the mind of a proper lunatic. Much of the footage presented is incredible on multiple accounts. Solidarity drove Mr. Treadwell to say things befitting of those in mental institutions.

Werner Herzog made the doc. If you are not properly educated on this dude lemme know. I will show you the world my brotha!

You know he's a Rush fan right? He even posts on this board

I did not know that!!! And no, I know nothing about him.

Er, Werner, fantastic doc!

Here's one of his epic rants

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/92274-yukon-blade-grinder-werner-herzog-reflects-on-the-trees/

Just saw The Armstrong Lie on Redbox today.

Can't believe I backed this bastard all those years. Can't tell you how many arguments I got into defending this arrogant sub-human jackass. The Armstrong lie did a great job simply letting Lance open his big mouth and prove to all of us he's the biggest fraud in the history of sports. Edited by alphseeker
  • Like 1

It was quite awhile ago (2-3 months ago) but I saw Love Child which is a documentary on a case in Korea where couple who were gaming addicts let their baby die while they were more occupied with caring for their "virtual child". Pretty disturbing in context, I wouldn't say it's spectacular cause it left me with more questions than answers (i.e. use this incident to probe into issues with gaming addiction) but it did a good job of covering the nuts and bolts of this incident to those unaware of this incident.

Sounds like something Steven Wilson would write an album about

I just watched An Honest Liar, a documentary about James Randi. Really really good stuff. It's all about his career as a magician, his triumph over con men pretending to be psychics/healers, and his life as a closeted gay man. If you're into magicians or the embarrassment of human garbage, check this out
  • Like 1

I just watched An Honest Liar, a documentary about James Randi. Really really good stuff. It's all about his career as a magician, his triumph over con men pretending to be psychics/healers, and his life as a closeted gay man. If you're into magicians or the embarrassment of human garbage, check this out

This sounds like something I will enjoy. Will try to find it.

The last doc I saw was "Last Days Here", which covers the life of Pentagram's lead vocalist, his spiral of drug addiction and eventual recovery.

I saw this one the other day on Netflix.

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/atari-game-over.jpg

It was pretty good. I really felt sorry for Howard Warshaw. It's amazing that people think that Atari and the videogame industry was brought to it's knees by one game.

Sounds like something Steven Wilson would write an album about

Yeah...that doc is kind of a sad example of "bad" gaming addiction. Not that it turned me off from gaming cause I still game every once in awhile, but those sort of "virtual child/wife/husband/etc." type games I've always found disturbing. That kind of stuff where the whole point of the game is to build a romance between you and choice of 5-6 potential mates or whatever, is popular primarily in Asian countries from what I learned in that doc.

That documentary of Billy Joel's Russian concerts in 1987 is worth checking out. Saw that on Showtime since it expires at month's end. That Meat Loaf documentary is good as well.

Yeah I remember seeing that Joel doc back in the 80s! Is Meat Loaf a bio or on BOOH in the classic album series?

Randi is one of my childhood heroes.
  • Like 1

I finally got around to this- Excellent doc about Shady cops in NYC in the 70's

The Seven Five

• Like 1