Jump to content


Documentaries


  • Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#41 Mr. Not

Mr. Not

    Spaceman Spiff

  • Members *
  • 99502 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:I'm not here, this isn't happening...

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

View Postworkingcinderellaman, on 26 March 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:

I love documentaries. But I don't care for the ones that have an agenda they're trying to push.

I did like Black Fish despite the fact that it seemed one sided.

I was averse to all documentaries with the precept they were all this way. They have to be to an extent, really, but as long as it isn't too painful I can bear to watch the documentary at the very least. If not, then writing a review / response to the doc is a good exercise.

Sponsored Post

#42 BasqueNYC

BasqueNYC

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 99 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manhattan,NYC
  • Interests:Futbol(Soccer),Traveling,shiny things,Reading,Writing,Music,Astronomy,History,Urban Art,Learning New Things,Collecting old new figurines,just hangin out doin DJ sets at NYC bars stuff like that

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:37 PM

View Postgoose, on 25 March 2014 - 10:12 PM, said:

View PostBasqueNYC, on 25 March 2014 - 10:05 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 25 March 2014 - 09:55 PM, said:

View PostBasqueNYC, on 25 March 2014 - 09:27 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 25 March 2014 - 08:45 PM, said:

Posted Image

That is a moving painting I love it as well

and as for Franco well even though he remained neutral (not really) he actually sent his "Blue Division" to help the Germans on the Russian front.But the BD really had no impact,but I always wondered if he sided with Hitler in WW2 what ramifications it would had.he had a army that had combat experience,excellent location for the Germans could have sped up the North Africa campaigns.Its very scary how close that madman almost came to making Europe one big Nazi flag

My grandfather Marcos and uncle Ramon were not that far from the bombing but saw the after effects and were just disgusted and horrified and he knew Franco would win and the Republic would fall very sad when I read his diaries which we still have

It's crazy that it was almost 6 months to the day that when the Spanish civil war ended WW2 began
That's very cool that you have those diaries.

We actually had to laminate most of the pages some had water damage,time wear and tear,etc but it's a glimpse into such a crazy time,I kinda miss that people don't keep diaries but than again I guess all these network sites are diaries in some way.but to hold history in your hands is just something else
there's something magical about the printed word on aged pages.

Not really the same as old paper and written word but I did get to see something quite fascinating once.My ex GF from a few years back who spoke fluent German and noticed her last name was "Himmler" but figured it was a coincidence.One night her father (killer musician btw) he noticed my love of history and WW2 and showed me something that still has me astounded to this day,he reavled that they were indeed descendants of Himmler (Himmler had a brother who served in the Luftwatte but like many Germans he was disgusted by National socialism of Nazism) and proceeded to show me his uniforms a silver plated Luger given to him by Hitler and one pair of his moon spectacle glasses.I was in awe but also very terrified to know that this was the man leader of the SS 2nd to Hitler and here I am holding his SS skull insignia hat,long leather jackets,and also documents,letters he wrote to his children.But I tell you this I could feel the evil on these items and although interested was just taken aback.They still have the items and decline interviews and documentaries even turned down one recently that was about the children of nazi officials.Sadly they also once in awhile get nuts coming to their house wanting to know if there descendants of him and they lie,she has since added a 2nd last name like hyphenated.But it's crazy to know she was a descendant of that man who she called a "monster" and that he was and like many took the easy way out

#43 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 53759 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:39 PM

View PostBasqueNYC, on 26 March 2014 - 05:37 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 25 March 2014 - 10:12 PM, said:

View PostBasqueNYC, on 25 March 2014 - 10:05 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 25 March 2014 - 09:55 PM, said:

View PostBasqueNYC, on 25 March 2014 - 09:27 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 25 March 2014 - 08:45 PM, said:

Posted Image

That is a moving painting I love it as well

and as for Franco well even though he remained neutral (not really) he actually sent his "Blue Division" to help the Germans on the Russian front.But the BD really had no impact,but I always wondered if he sided with Hitler in WW2 what ramifications it would had.he had a army that had combat experience,excellent location for the Germans could have sped up the North Africa campaigns.Its very scary how close that madman almost came to making Europe one big Nazi flag

My grandfather Marcos and uncle Ramon were not that far from the bombing but saw the after effects and were just disgusted and horrified and he knew Franco would win and the Republic would fall very sad when I read his diaries which we still have

It's crazy that it was almost 6 months to the day that when the Spanish civil war ended WW2 began
That's very cool that you have those diaries.

We actually had to laminate most of the pages some had water damage,time wear and tear,etc but it's a glimpse into such a crazy time,I kinda miss that people don't keep diaries but than again I guess all these network sites are diaries in some way.but to hold history in your hands is just something else
there's something magical about the printed word on aged pages.

Not really the same as old paper and written word but I did get to see something quite fascinating once.My ex GF from a few years back who spoke fluent German and noticed her last name was "Himmler" but figured it was a coincidence.One night her father (killer musician btw) he noticed my love of history and WW2 and showed me something that still has me astounded to this day,he reavled that they were indeed descendants of Himmler (Himmler had a brother who served in the Luftwatte but like many Germans he was disgusted by National socialism of Nazism) and proceeded to show me his uniforms a silver plated Luger given to him by Hitler and one pair of his moon spectacle glasses.I was in awe but also very terrified to know that this was the man leader of the SS 2nd to Hitler and here I am holding his SS skull insignia hat,long leather jackets,and also documents,letters he wrote to his children.But I tell you this I could feel the evil on these items and although interested was just taken aback.They still have the items and decline interviews and documentaries even turned down one recently that was about the children of nazi officials.Sadly they also once in awhile get nuts coming to their house wanting to know if there descendants of him and they lie,she has since added a 2nd last name like hyphenated.But it's crazy to know she was a descendant of that man who she called a "monster" and that he was and like many took the easy way out
You have great stories, bud!  That's crazy!

#44 BasqueNYC

BasqueNYC

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 99 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manhattan,NYC
  • Interests:Futbol(Soccer),Traveling,shiny things,Reading,Writing,Music,Astronomy,History,Urban Art,Learning New Things,Collecting old new figurines,just hangin out doin DJ sets at NYC bars stuff like that

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:54 AM

View Postgoose, on 26 March 2014 - 11:39 PM, said:

View PostBasqueNYC, on 26 March 2014 - 05:37 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 25 March 2014 - 10:12 PM, said:

View PostBasqueNYC, on 25 March 2014 - 10:05 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 25 March 2014 - 09:55 PM, said:

View PostBasqueNYC, on 25 March 2014 - 09:27 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 25 March 2014 - 08:45 PM, said:

Posted Image

That is a moving painting I love it as well

and as for Franco well even though he remained neutral (not really) he actually sent his "Blue Division" to help the Germans on the Russian front.But the BD really had no impact,but I always wondered if he sided with Hitler in WW2 what ramifications it would had.he had a army that had combat experience,excellent location for the Germans could have sped up the North Africa campaigns.Its very scary how close that madman almost came to making Europe one big Nazi flag

My grandfather Marcos and uncle Ramon were not that far from the bombing but saw the after effects and were just disgusted and horrified and he knew Franco would win and the Republic would fall very sad when I read his diaries which we still have

It's crazy that it was almost 6 months to the day that when the Spanish civil war ended WW2 began
That's very cool that you have those diaries.

We actually had to laminate most of the pages some had water damage,time wear and tear,etc but it's a glimpse into such a crazy time,I kinda miss that people don't keep diaries but than again I guess all these network sites are diaries in some way.but to hold history in your hands is just something else
there's something magical about the printed word on aged pages.

Not really the same as old paper and written word but I did get to see something quite fascinating once.My ex GF from a few years back who spoke fluent German and noticed her last name was "Himmler" but figured it was a coincidence.One night her father (killer musician btw) he noticed my love of history and WW2 and showed me something that still has me astounded to this day,he reavled that they were indeed descendants of Himmler (Himmler had a brother who served in the Luftwatte but like many Germans he was disgusted by National socialism of Nazism) and proceeded to show me his uniforms a silver plated Luger given to him by Hitler and one pair of his moon spectacle glasses.I was in awe but also very terrified to know that this was the man leader of the SS 2nd to Hitler and here I am holding his SS skull insignia hat,long leather jackets,and also documents,letters he wrote to his children.But I tell you this I could feel the evil on these items and although interested was just taken aback.They still have the items and decline interviews and documentaries even turned down one recently that was about the children of nazi officials.Sadly they also once in awhile get nuts coming to their house wanting to know if there descendants of him and they lie,she has since added a 2nd last name like hyphenated.But it's crazy to know she was a descendant of that man who she called a "monster" and that he was and like many took the easy way out
You have great stories, bud!  That's crazy!

You know what I found crazier was when I read his letters to his children it was like a different man his devotion to his kids particularly to a girl the name I have forgotten but such love  and yet this is the man who visited concentration camps and wanted to build the Nazi Temple which was built .....partially but just like about a drop in a huge massive construction but the war was starting to go into the Allies favor and all construction was halted.But talk about 2 sides of a man .....but the same can be said about all them

#45 BasqueNYC

BasqueNYC

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 99 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manhattan,NYC
  • Interests:Futbol(Soccer),Traveling,shiny things,Reading,Writing,Music,Astronomy,History,Urban Art,Learning New Things,Collecting old new figurines,just hangin out doin DJ sets at NYC bars stuff like that

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:56 AM

Goose I took pictures of the items I gotta dig them out of my laptop but you may find them interesting......that's if you wanna see them

#46 Tor_Hershman

Tor_Hershman

    Long Awaited Froind

  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Place Of The Skull, West Virginié
  • Interests:Music, makin' parodies, hot babes, philosophy

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:10 AM

A five and ½ minute mini-doc., made without money, talent nor good-sense.
https://www.youtube....h?v=Z7iQRFP_e90

Edited by Tor_Hershman, 29 March 2014 - 10:12 AM.


#47 workingcinderellaman

workingcinderellaman

    The Red Barchetta

  • Members *
  • 30721 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:SLC Utah
  • Interests:Bikes (Motorcycles), Skiing, Airplanes, Ted Nugent

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

I just watched this one last week on nuclear power and started a thread about it in SOCN.

Posted Image

It defiantly has an agenda, but what makes this one interesting is that those who are interviewed were against nuclear power and have changed their minds. It has a lot of interesting information at the very least.

#48 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 53759 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:20 PM

View PostBasqueNYC, on 27 March 2014 - 05:56 AM, said:

Goose I took pictures of the items I gotta dig them out of my laptop but you may find them interesting......that's if you wanna see them
Absolutely!

#49 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 53759 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:37 PM

Watching "A Deeper Shade of Blue"  right now.  History of surfing.

Edited by goose, 31 March 2014 - 06:47 PM.


#50 BasqueNYC

BasqueNYC

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 99 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manhattan,NYC
  • Interests:Futbol(Soccer),Traveling,shiny things,Reading,Writing,Music,Astronomy,History,Urban Art,Learning New Things,Collecting old new figurines,just hangin out doin DJ sets at NYC bars stuff like that

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:44 AM

View Postgoose, on 31 March 2014 - 06:20 PM, said:

View PostBasqueNYC, on 27 March 2014 - 05:56 AM, said:

Goose I took pictures of the items I gotta dig them out of my laptop but you may find them interesting......that's if you wanna see them
Absolutely!

Send me your email I don't wanna post them here

#51 BasqueNYC

BasqueNYC

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 99 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manhattan,NYC
  • Interests:Futbol(Soccer),Traveling,shiny things,Reading,Writing,Music,Astronomy,History,Urban Art,Learning New Things,Collecting old new figurines,just hangin out doin DJ sets at NYC bars stuff like that

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:48 AM

"The Mars Underground"

great DOC I'm a big fan of Dr Zubrin the man is 100% right in this DOC and his books,we have the technology and his plan can be done about 60% cheaper than the 1st and 2nd Bush Administrations.He comes off angry but you'll see why def check this out,god damn politics stopping us over which quite possibly be another acheivement in man kinds history

#52 BasqueNYC

BasqueNYC

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 99 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manhattan,NYC
  • Interests:Futbol(Soccer),Traveling,shiny things,Reading,Writing,Music,Astronomy,History,Urban Art,Learning New Things,Collecting old new figurines,just hangin out doin DJ sets at NYC bars stuff like that

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:13 AM

"American Grindhouse"

great doc from al Grindhouse movies or B movies whatever u wanna call it dating back to the 30s to present.I loved it cause I've seen most of these movies but it's done in a fun way,some directors coming out and saying "oh god the movie is horrible but when they hand you a suitcase filled 75grand your not saying no your thinking CASH!" Lol

#53 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

    Vapor Trail

  • Members
  • 18326 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NO FUTURE.
  • Interests:NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:14 PM

Just finished watching this. Fantastic and quite touching IMO.

Posted Image

#54 circumstantial tree

circumstantial tree

    The Movie Star

  • Members *
  • 20795 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Apex, NC
  • Interests:architecture, North Carolina culture, classic TV, biographies, skating, music, fine arts, Italian cuisine, striped tube socks. Starred in "Beyond the Lighted Stage" as a fan.

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:22 PM



#55 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

    Crushed in Rio

  • Members *
  • 8615 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:30 AM

I watched this a few years ago and it´s probably dated right now, but it´s quite cool:

Edited by RodrigoAltaf, 03 May 2014 - 08:35 AM.


#56 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

    Crushed in Rio

  • Members *
  • 8615 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:36 AM

I watched "Bigger Stronger Faster" a few years ago - it´s probably dated right now, but it´s quite cool and unbiased - about the use of steroids in professional sports.

#57 CygnusGal

CygnusGal

    Cylon Model No. 2112

  • Members *
  • 5121 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:the space between the mysterious, invisible force lurking in the constellation Cygnus and the destination at unverified jump coordinates 1123.6536.5321
  • Interests:music, books, computers and networking, astronomy, Cylon technology

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:30 AM

I've been reading a lot of medieval history lately.  Combine that fact with with a new Netflix subscription and I have been digging into the documentaries.  I really enjoyed the Monarchy series with David Starkey.  It reviews English/British monarchs from Alfred the Great through Queen Victoria and is quite well done.  The Elisabeth documentary (Queen Elisabeth I) is also very good.

#58 Mr. Not

Mr. Not

    Spaceman Spiff

  • Members *
  • 99502 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:I'm not here, this isn't happening...

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:45 PM

Interested in watching this Jonestown doc sometime soon:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0762111/

#59 Steevo

Steevo

    The Oracle

  • Members
  • 12111 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:03 PM

^^  It's excellent, you should.

More Louis Theroux Weird Weekends repeats, last one on Indian gurus etc, he's great.

#60 Steevo

Steevo

    The Oracle

  • Members
  • 12111 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:17 AM

Fashion in NY 1970s styles! :popcorn:    






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users