Documentaries

Mr. Not

This might be considered an artsy piece of shit compared to the usual structure of documentaries but I nevertheless, I just finished watching this. It's debatable whether it should be considered a documentary or not, but alas it's commonly tagged as one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jM2WA2WbDc

Looks interesting enough. The music reminds me of a certain ultra-violent film I know of.

It really is interesting. A documentary that's dictated only by time lapse and stock footage set to music with no dialogue and no definitive plot. It's actually the first of a trilogy of documentaries of similar style, the trailer I posted is the most well known and arguably the best of the three.

Recently, I watched a documentary on the Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan incident from 20 years ago through Tonya's perspective. After watching it, I kinda feel bad for Tonya Harding even though if she really was behind the whole clubbing your rival in the leg plot.

Saw a documentary on national television about a bombing raid on the Shell House in Copenhagen during WWII. The first wave of bombers hit the target, but because one bomber went down over the city, the next two waves of bombers believed the smoke from the crashed plane was the target, which led to the unfortunate bombing of a school, killing 86 children, and injuring around 120 people.

Crazy fact: The Shell House was the Gestapo headquarter in Copenhagen, and because of their fear of being bombed, they put their prisoners up on the roof to deter the british from bombing. The danish resistance movement deemed it necessary so they gave green light. Crazy enough most of the prisoners of the building got out alive. We're talking a 5-6 story building.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/30/Shellhuset_from_KB.jpg

Shell House got bombed. How's that for some irony (in the colloquial sense).

This might be considered an artsy piece of shit compared to the usual structure of documentaries but I nevertheless, I just finished watching this. It's debatable whether it should be considered a documentary or not, but alas it's commonly tagged as one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jM2WA2WbDc

Looks interesting enough. The music reminds me of a certain ultra-violent film I know of.

It really is interesting. A documentary that's dictated only by time lapse and stock footage set to music with no dialogue and no definitive plot. It's actually the first of a trilogy of documentaries of similar style, the trailer I posted is the most well known and arguably the best of the three.

Recently, I watched a documentary on the Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan incident from 20 years ago through Tonya's perspective. After watching it, I kinda feel bad for Tonya Harding even though if she really was behind the whole clubbing your rival in the leg plot.

Looks like something I'd really enjoy. It's amazing how little need for dialog there can be.

"Operation Carthage" very daunting mission and very hard,but I saw that too they took out the floors but the mission also had huge mistakes the fighters were off so the fighters shot at the same spot finally taking out the floor with the Gestapo but than a plane clipped a building and crashed into a church or school and children were killed very sad......but that is war no one wins

If memory serves me right they used those fast Mosquito Bombers which were also used in another similar called Oslo Mosquito raid

I'm a big WW1 & 2 history nut,let me make it clear though I depise war We always must try at diplomacy no matter how severe but sadly in WWII it was a mess and spiraled out of control fast and became the worst war mankind has ever faced,basically "Total War" term used by a German General Ludendorff.But I am interested in the history of it the people,tactics,politics,material,etc

I live in northern Nevada and we have lots of Basques here. Are you originally from Euskadi (the Basque Country)?

"Operation Carthage" very daunting mission and very hard,but I saw that too they took out the floors but the mission also had huge mistakes the fighters were off so the fighters shot at the same spot finally taking out the floor with the Gestapo but than a plane clipped a building and crashed into a church or school and children were killed very sad......but that is war no one wins

If memory serves me right they used those fast Mosquito Bombers which were also used in another similar called Oslo Mosquito raid

I'm a big WW1 & 2 history nut,let me make it clear though I depise war We always must try at diplomacy no matter how severe but sadly in WWII it was a mess and spiraled out of control fast and became the worst war mankind has ever faced,basically "Total War" term used by a German General Ludendorff.But I am interested in the history of it the people,tactics,politics,material,etc

I live in northern Nevada and we have lots of Basques here. Are you originally from Euskadi (the Basque Country)?

Yes I was born right outside of Bilbao in the Biscay region very beautiful area specially the Bay Area I have dual citizenship Spain/US,also much respect that u used the word Euskadi

I consider myself a WWII history nut too. You're right about the planes.

Was there a bombing raid in Oslo too?

Again if memory serves me right the Oslo bombing raid was complete mess total disaster for the allies chalk it up there with "Operation Market-Garden",but I'm not sure

Yes I was born right outside of Bilbao in the Biscay region very beautiful area specially the Bay Area I have dual citizenship Spain/US,also much respect that u used the word Euskadi

:cheers:

I've been to Bilbao. Beautiful place. San Sebastian is nice, too. The entire region is striking, and the people are amazing. I've got lots of basque friends here...Etchegaray, Etchegoyen, Lekumberry, Oxoby.

http://nevadabasque.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Screen-Shot-2012-05-03-at-11.30.36-AM-460x339.jpg

The JT, Gardnerville, NV. Below, my friend Marie Lekumberry...

http://vimeo.com/33981212

By the way...one of the bartenders just moved to NYC.

Edited by goose

I've been to Bilbao. Beautiful place. San Sebastian is nice, too. The entire region is striking, and the people are amazing. I've got lots of basque friends here...Etchegaray, Etchegoyen, Lekumberry, Oxoby.

I go back as much as I can and I love jamming with the street musicians a lot of them do older stuff which is great but when they heard my NYC accent they ripped into some Ramones lol right by the beach good times

There was something in the news that they found one of the last Franco statues or something like that (may he burn in hell that fascist pig he let Germans destroy Guernica.)

Have you seen the Gernikako Arbola? I know it's been destroyed,replanted there are 3 sites very sacred Tree

I go back as much as I can and I love jamming with the street musicians a lot of them do older stuff which is great but when they heard my NYC accent they ripped into some Ramones lol right by the beach good times

There was something in the news that they found one of the last Franco statues or something like that (may he burn in hell that fascist pig he let Germans destroy Guernica.)

Have you seen the Gernikako Arbola? I know it's been destroyed,replanted there are 3 sites very sacred Tree

I haven't seen it. That is such a sad story in history, and Franco... :facepalm: Pan's Labyrinth did a good job capturing the fascist psyche, I thought.

I have spent hours staring at the Picasso painting Guernica in the Reina Sofia. Powerful...

http://www.oneonta.edu/faculty/farberas/arth/Images/ARTH200/Power/picasso_guernica.jpg

• Like 2

I haven't seen it. That is such a sad story in history, and Franco... :facepalm: Pan's Labyrinth did a good job capturing the fascist psyche, I thought.

I have spent hours staring at the Picasso painting Guernica in the Reina Sofia. Powerful...

http://www.oneonta.edu/faculty/farberas/arth/Images/ARTH200/Power/picasso_guernica.jpg

That is a moving painting I love it as well

and as for Franco well even though he remained neutral (not really) he actually sent his "Blue Division" to help the Germans on the Russian front.But the BD really had no impact,but I always wondered if he sided with Hitler in WW2 what ramifications it would had.he had a army that had combat experience,excellent location for the Germans could have sped up the North Africa campaigns.Its very scary how close that madman almost came to making Europe one big Nazi flag

My grandfather Marcos and uncle Ramon were not that far from the bombing but saw the after effects and were just disgusted and horrified and he knew Franco would win and the Republic would fall very sad when I read his diaries which we still have

It's crazy that it was almost 6 months to the day that when the Spanish civil war ended WW2 began

• Like 1

and as for Franco well even though he remained neutral (not really) he actually sent his "Blue Division" to help the Germans on the Russian front.But the BD really had no impact,but I always wondered if he sided with Hitler in WW2 what ramifications it would had.he had a army that had combat experience,excellent location for the Germans could have sped up the North Africa campaigns.Its very scary how close that madman almost came to making Europe one big Nazi flag

My grandfather Marcos and uncle Ramon were not that far from the bombing but saw the after effects and were just disgusted and horrified and he knew Franco would win and the Republic would fall very sad when I read his diaries which we still have

It's crazy that it was almost 6 months to the day that when the Spanish civil war ended WW2 began

That's very cool that you have those diaries.
  • Like 1

We actually had to laminate most of the pages some had water damage,time wear and tear,etc but it's a glimpse into such a crazy time,I kinda miss that people don't keep diaries but than again I guess all these network sites are diaries in some way.but to hold history in your hands is just something else

• Like 1

We actually had to laminate most of the pages some had water damage,time wear and tear,etc but it's a glimpse into such a crazy time,I kinda miss that people don't keep diaries but than again I guess all these network sites are diaries in some way.but to hold history in your hands is just something else

there's something magical about the printed word on aged pages.

http://images.epiphone.com.s3.amazonaws.com/News/2012/KingRiley.jpg

Just finished this one. I'm a huge BB King fan and it gave a neat insight to his life where it was hard to find info elsewhere. Though there are a few dull moments and it feels unorganized, it's still worth the watch if you like BB King

• Like 1

I love documentaries. But I don't care for the ones that have an agenda they're trying to push.

I did like Black Fish despite the fact that it seemed one sided.

I was averse to all documentaries with the precept they were all this way. They have to be to an extent, really, but as long as it isn't too painful I can bear to watch the documentary at the very least. If not, then writing a review / response to the doc is a good exercise.

Not really the same as old paper and written word but I did get to see something quite fascinating once.My ex GF from a few years back who spoke fluent German and noticed her last name was "Himmler" but figured it was a coincidence.One night her father (killer musician btw) he noticed my love of history and WW2 and showed me something that still has me astounded to this day,he reavled that they were indeed descendants of Himmler (Himmler had a brother who served in the Luftwatte but like many Germans he was disgusted by National socialism of Nazism) and proceeded to show me his uniforms a silver plated Luger given to him by Hitler and one pair of his moon spectacle glasses.I was in awe but also very terrified to know that this was the man leader of the SS 2nd to Hitler and here I am holding his SS skull insignia hat,long leather jackets,and also documents,letters he wrote to his children.But I tell you this I could feel the evil on these items and although interested was just taken aback.They still have the items and decline interviews and documentaries even turned down one recently that was about the children of nazi officials.Sadly they also once in awhile get nuts coming to their house wanting to know if there descendants of him and they lie,she has since added a 2nd last name like hyphenated.But it's crazy to know she was a descendant of that man who she called a "monster" and that he was and like many took the easy way out

• Like 1

Not really the same as old paper and written word but I did get to see something quite fascinating once.My ex GF from a few years back who spoke fluent German and noticed her last name was "Himmler" but figured it was a coincidence.One night her father (killer musician btw) he noticed my love of history and WW2 and showed me something that still has me astounded to this day,he reavled that they were indeed descendants of Himmler (Himmler had a brother who served in the Luftwatte but like many Germans he was disgusted by National socialism of Nazism) and proceeded to show me his uniforms a silver plated Luger given to him by Hitler and one pair of his moon spectacle glasses.I was in awe but also very terrified to know that this was the man leader of the SS 2nd to Hitler and here I am holding his SS skull insignia hat,long leather jackets,and also documents,letters he wrote to his children.But I tell you this I could feel the evil on these items and although interested was just taken aback.They still have the items and decline interviews and documentaries even turned down one recently that was about the children of nazi officials.Sadly they also once in awhile get nuts coming to their house wanting to know if there descendants of him and they lie,she has since added a 2nd last name like hyphenated.But it's crazy to know she was a descendant of that man who she called a "monster" and that he was and like many took the easy way out

You have great stories, bud! That's crazy!

You have great stories, bud! That's crazy!

You know what I found crazier was when I read his letters to his children it was like a different man his devotion to his kids particularly to a girl the name I have forgotten but such love and yet this is the man who visited concentration camps and wanted to build the Nazi Temple which was built .....partially but just like about a drop in a huge massive construction but the war was starting to go into the Allies favor and all construction was halted.But talk about 2 sides of a man .....but the same can be said about all them

Goose I took pictures of the items I gotta dig them out of my laptop but you may find them interesting......that's if you wanna see them
  • Like 1

I just watched this one last week on nuclear power and started a thread about it in SOCN.

http://engineering.tamu.edu/media/853735/pp_web_header.jpg

It defiantly has an agenda, but what makes this one interesting is that those who are interviewed were against nuclear power and have changed their minds. It has a lot of interesting information at the very least.

Goose I took pictures of the items I gotta dig them out of my laptop but you may find them interesting......that's if you wanna see them

Absolutely!

Absolutely!

Send me your email I don't wanna post them here