Jump to content


Documentaries


  • Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#141 workingcinderellaman

workingcinderellaman

    The Red Barchetta

  • Members *
  • 30693 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:SLC Utah
  • Interests:Bikes (Motorcycles), Skiing, Airplanes, Ted Nugent

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:44 AM

View Postgoose, on 19 December 2016 - 09:52 PM, said:

View Postworkingcinderellaman, on 19 December 2016 - 10:34 AM, said:

View Postgoose, on 18 December 2016 - 07:44 PM, said:

View PostXanadoood, on 18 December 2016 - 07:41 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 16 December 2016 - 04:03 AM, said:

One of the most mesmerizing documentaries I've seen is The Bridge. A controversial film, it documents a camera's 365-day observation of the Golden gate Bridge, followed by follow-up stories on the jumpers caught on film.  Here's the opening scene...

https://www.youtube....h?v=DgVGQuxGFH4

A review by Roger Ebert:

http://www.rogereber...the-bridge-2006

God damn. that's some depressing shit.
Yeah, but it's also very insightful, I think, in terms of understanding the depths of despair that some people feel, and how others can be affected by it.
Reminds me of this documentary:

Posted Image
Also excellent.
Agreed.
And sort of depressing.

Sponsored Post

#142 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 53720 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:57 PM



This does a great job telling the story of the life, career, and (premature) death of Jaco Pastorius.  Geddy makes a couple of appearances.

#143 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 53720 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:15 AM



A fascinating look into the design and development of the Deep/Dark Web via Tor and Bitcoin, and the rise of the libertarian-based open market known as Silk Road.  It explores the underlying philosophy of the Silk Road and its administrator Dread Pirate Roberts, and the alleged evolution of the Silk Road from libertarian safe-haven into a criminal enterprise that included large-scale drug trading and hit-men for hire.

#144 workingcinderellaman

workingcinderellaman

    The Red Barchetta

  • Members *
  • 30693 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:SLC Utah
  • Interests:Bikes (Motorcycles), Skiing, Airplanes, Ted Nugent

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:26 AM

View Postgoose, on 29 December 2016 - 10:15 AM, said:



A fascinating look into the design and development of the Deep/Dark Web via Tor and Bitcoin, and the rise of the libertarian-based open market known as Silk Road.  It explores the underlying philosophy of the Silk Road and its administrator Dread Pirate Roberts, and the alleged evolution of the Silk Road from libertarian safe-haven into a criminal enterprise that included large-scale drug trading and hit-men for hire.
I know who DPR is.

#145 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 53720 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:08 AM

Posted Image

Powerful.  A chronological presentation of first-person accounts of the Black American experience from '67-75, including  Stokely Carmichael, Eldridge Cleaver, Huey Newton, Malcom X, Angela Davis...

Man, is this powerful.  A chronological presentation of first-person accounts of the Black American experience from '67-75.

#146 Mr. Not

Mr. Not

    Spaceman Spiff

  • Members *
  • 99230 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:I'm not here, this isn't happening...

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:37 AM

View Postgoose, on 30 January 2017 - 03:08 AM, said:

Posted Image

Powerful.  A chronological presentation of first-person accounts of the Black American experience from '67-75, including  Stokely Carmichael, Eldridge Cleaver, Huey Newton, Malcom X, Angela Davis...

Man, is this powerful.  A chronological presentation of first-person accounts of the Black American experience from '67-75.

I haven't seen it, but I watched the Angela David interview about her "thoughts on violence".
A chronological presentation of first-person accounts of the Black American experience from '67-75.

#147 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 53720 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:02 PM

View PostMr. Not, on 30 January 2017 - 03:37 AM, said:

View Postgoose, on 30 January 2017 - 03:08 AM, said:

Posted Image

Powerful.  A chronological presentation of first-person accounts of the Black American experience from '67-75, including  Stokely Carmichael, Eldridge Cleaver, Huey Newton, Malcom X, Angela Davis...    

Man, is this powerful.  A chronological presentation of first-person accounts of the Black American experience from '67-75.

I haven't seen it, but I watched the Angela David interview about her "thoughts on violence".

That was quite good.  The question of non-violence would make a goid SOCN thread.

#148 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 53720 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:03 PM

Posted Image

Absolutely brilliant.  :lol:

#149 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 53720 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:20 AM

Posted Image

The story of the 2008 assault on K2 that resulted in 11 fatalities, seven of which occurred on the descent.  The film documents the delays of the ascent that were caused by weather, and the fateful decision-making process that led to a crowded, slow ascent which, in turn, led to a dangerous descent.

Edited by goose, 05 March 2017 - 01:24 AM.


#150 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 53720 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:29 AM

Posted Image

A very funny documentary about the making of Graham Chapman's posthumous A Liar's Autobiography.

#151 GeddysMullet

GeddysMullet

    Non-Binary

  • Members
  • 5293 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Northeast New Jersey
  • Interests:music, books, documentary films, parrots, long hair, big noses

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:51 PM

The Terry Kath Experience

http://www.terrykath...hdocumentary-1/

This film was made by the daughter of Chicago guitarist Terry Kath.  The filmmaking itself is quite basic, but there's some great archival, the telling of one of the odder and less legendary 70s rock'n'roll casualty stories, and a nice tribute to a mighty player.

Edited by GeddysMullet, 06 March 2017 - 07:06 PM.


#152 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 3676 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:37 AM

Posted Image

What a racket.
Racket being defined as "an illegal or dishonest scheme for obtaining money".
Sad that people still buy into this as it's such a load of bullshit sold by a man with more charisma than imagination.

There is an execrable music video from 1990 if you're a sucker for musical/lyrical/mental torture. I won't post it. Go look if you want. I didn't send ya.

Posted Image

#153 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

    Natural Science Theater 3000

  • Members
  • 16313 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upland,CA

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:29 AM

View Postvaportrailer, on 31 October 2017 - 09:37 AM, said:

Posted Image

What a racket.
Racket being defined as "an illegal or dishonest scheme for obtaining money".
Sad that people still buy into this as it's such a load of bullshit sold by a man with more charisma than imagination.

There is an execrable music video from 1990 if you're a sucker for musical/lyrical/mental torture. I won't post it. Go look if you want. I didn't send ya.

Posted Image

Saw that on HBO two years ago.  Made me hate Tom Cruise even more.

Just saw that George Michael Freedom documentary on Showtime a few weeks ago and it’s worth checking out.  Never expected Liam Gallagher to be a fan of him and Wham.  He refers to him as “modern day Elvis.”

Oh and Jane Corden was right about Praying For Time being his best song and a good Lennon esque ballad.

#154 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 53720 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:36 PM

Posted Image

If you want a glimpse into the world of extreme gore metal, then this is the documentary for you.  In sleepy Temecula, California, of all places, the band Kettle Cadaver developed a cult following built on the sado-masochistic antics of their lead singer, Edwin Borsheim.  This was not your run of the mill Alice Cooper stuff.  On stage, Edwin would cut off piece of his flesh, wear a barbed-wire crown, staple his mouth shut, and even drive nails through his foreskin into a 2x4.  If you can stand the graphic scenes, it's actually an interesting story that the reclusive (now dead) Edwin tells, one of growing up in the town of Temecula and experiencing the seedier side of rural California.

Here's a taste...


Edited by goose, 09 November 2017 - 08:37 PM.


#155 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 53720 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:41 AM

These two documentaries are connected in that they are studies around jobs that depend on people respecting a social contract.  The comedy club heckler and the a-hole who wants to drive a $50K SUV but doesn't want to pay to park it exemplify the narcissistic sociopathy of modern culture.  Both documentaries are funny, poignant, and well worth the time.

Posted Image
Posted Image




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users