Whatever happened to the good ole' days?

war2112

I usually see the top ten from the Billboard charts in the weekend edition of the U.S.A. Today. I have ceased to be surprised that the top ten often consists of purely hip-hop (or rap or whatever). I dunno, maybe it's just me, but even though I'm no longer surprised, I just don't get it.

For example, I just happened to catch that Gwen Stefani song Hollaback Girl. A stupid title (yes I know what the vernacular means) and an even dumber song.

What the hell happened? I mean, I realize there are different strokes for different folks, but this is it? This is all that the majority of our youth listen to? Most of it is not even being made by musicians. It's just a bunch of sampling and so forth.

Oh well, I guess I'm just getting old.

Stretching my memory back to the late 70's, I do recall alot of stuff back then being crap which has continued all the way up to today. It just wasn't hip hop back in the day. The curse of being a Rush fan is the ability to easily find sub-par music and to be critical of such shite.

Who cares?

And even when they have good bands, it's always the wrong song. Green Day's Boulevard of Broken Dreams was #1 for WEEKS...I LOVE that CD and everything, but Boulevard is easily the worst song on the CD...I think of it as the Stairway/Freebird of that album.

Yeah, Billboard sucks.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 16 2005, 04:41 PM)
I don't think the charts or the grammy's have ever gotten it right, except in rare instances, and even then, it's been many, many years.  the grammys and mtv video music award are a joke in terms of rewarding quality...

It hasn't been about quality in a long time. I don't remember how many times I've heard some junk song, be it bubble gum pop, some hip hop piece with no original music, or some R&B song with ridiculous lyrics, that's been on top the charts. Anymore, it's about image and how much the record company can exploit the musician and the buying audience.

Archived