2014 New York Yankees

Disk98

Who needs Cano and A-Roid, anyway? Mock them if you will, with the additions of Brian McCann, Carlos Beltran, Jacoby Ellsbury, and Masahiro Tanaka, the New York Yankees look like a force to be reckoned with for the upcoming 2014 MLB season.

Take a good look at that infield, take a real good look...

I prefer to look at the catcher and the outfield, thankyouverymuch.

It might work if they can pitch. No Mo. Uh-oh...

If Jeter and Tex are 3/4 of what their most recent full seasons say they are, it'll be all good. And if Roberts experiences the pinstripe bounce that field players get and pitchers don't, we're all good.

If Jeter and Tex are 3/4 of what their most recent full seasons say they are, it'll be all good. And if Roberts experiences the pinstripe bounce that field players get and pitchers don't, we're all good.

Tex has been an offensive bust the last 4 seasons, if he's 3/4 of his 2009 season, I'll take it. I'll take 3/4 of the 2009 Brian Roberts, too. If Jeter hits .275, I'll be elated. My fingers are crossed...

Tex has been an offensive bust the last 4 seasons, if he's 3/4 of his 2009 season, I'll take it. I'll take 3/4 of the 2009 Brian Roberts, too. If Jeter hits .275, I'll be elated. My fingers are crossed...

If Tex duplicates his 2011 season, we're more than set at 1st base.

A .250 hitter with power who strikes out needs .300 hitters who get on base in front of him to do any good.

It will be interesting to see how Tanaka does. Cashman is describing him not as an ace, but as a #3 starter. He also signed him to the fifth largest contract in MLB history so I think he's BSing. If he's a #3 starter, the Yankees will struggle, they weren't as good as their record indicated last year. If they get a Darvish type performance out of him they've got a chance. The rest of their rotation is either declining, inconsistent or both.

On the upside for the Yankees, the Red Sox will not repeat 2013, they're due for a fall.

Just thought I'd tell everyone who we'll be seeing this year.

PROJECTED LINEUP

1. Jacoby Ellsbury (L) CF

2. Derek Jeter ® SS

3. Carlos Beltran (S) RF

4. Mark Teixeira (S) 1B

5. Brian McCann (L) C

6. Alfonso Soriano ® DH

7. Kelly Johnson (L) 3B

8. Brian Roberts (S) 2B

9. Brett Gardner (L) LF

PROJECTED BENCH

Francisco Cervelli ® C

Eduardo Nuñez ® IF

Brendan Ryan ® SS

Ichiro Suzuki (L) OF

PROJECTED ROTATION

1. CC Sabathia (LHP)

2. Hiroki Kuroda (RHP)

3. Masahiro Tanaka (RHP)

4. Iván Nova (RHP)

5. Michael Pineda (RHP)

PROJECTED BULLPEN

Adam Warren (RHP)

David Phelps (RHP)

Shawn Kelley (RHP)

Dellin Betances (RHP)

Matt Thornton (LHP)

Vidal Nuño (LHP)

David Robertson (RHP)

Sorry for the ®s, I can't get an R in regular parentheses.

Edited by Disk98

A .250 hitter with power who strikes out needs .300 hitters who get on base in front of him to do any good.

He gets on base .340 and gets over 100 RBIs automatically if healthy. And the lineup in front of him will get on base, because that's what they do.

It will be interesting to see how Tanaka does. Cashman is describing him not as an ace, but as a #3 starter. He also signed him to the fifth largest contract in MLB history so I think he's BSing. If he's a #3 starter, the Yankees will struggle, they weren't as good as their record indicated last year. If they get a Darvish type performance out of him they've got a chance. The rest of their rotation is either declining, inconsistent or both.

On the upside for the Yankees, the Red Sox will not repeat 2013, they're due for a fall.

There's no way he could come out of spring training higher than number 3. Nova could easily beat him out for that spot. Obviously, his ceiling is higher than that, but to start the year, he's a 3 or 4 guy, and no better.

I made some predictions…

Jacoby Ellsbury: .300 / 15 HR / 55 RBI

Derek Jeter : .295 / 7 HR / 50 RBI

Carlos Beltran: .300 / 30 HR / 105 RBI

Mark Teixeira: .260 / 33 HR / 110 RBI

Brian McCann: .280 / 25 HR / 90 RBI

Alfonso Soriano: .260 / 30 HR / 95 RBI

Kelly Johnson: .240 / 17 HR / 65 RBI

Brian Roberts: .270 / 7 HR / 40 RBI

Brett Gardner: .270 / 8 HR / 50 RBI

PROJECTED BENCH

Francisco Cervelli: .260 / 2 HR / 20 RBI

Eduardo Nuñez: .275 / 5 HR / 30 RBI

Brendan Ryan: .230 / 1 HR / 15 RBI

Ichiro Suzuki: .265 / 5 HR / 25 RBI

PROJECTED ROTATION

CC Sabathia: 16-12 / 3.50 / 200 K

Hiroki Kuroda: 17-11 / 3.25 / 170 K

Masahiro Tanaka: 15-10 / 3.40 / 180 K

Iván Nova: 14-9 / 3.80 / 150 K

Michael Pineda: 13-13 / 4.00 / 160 K

PROJECTED BULLPEN

Adam Warren: 7-5 / 3.50

David Phelps: 4-6 / 4.00

Shawn Kelley: 4-2 / 3.30

Dellin Betances: 3-3 / 4.00

Matt Thornton: 4-1 / 3.40

Vidal Nuño: 3-3 / 4.10

David Robertson: 2-4 / 2.30 / 35 SV

American League East is one tough division. I am hopeful the Jays will be in contention this year. It will be interesting...

Hmm, not so sure about that one. Not to bash your team, but Toronto doesn't have the pitching. We shall see…

Yeah…I can't believe it. After this year, Jeter's…done. Surely the greatest shortstop in Yankees history, maybe even in all of baseball history. After the 2014 season, the Yankees will be looking for a shortstop for the first time in twenty years. What a player.

Jeter was never the best shortstop in baseball. But, he was one of the most consistent and reliable players ever to play the game. Jeter and Rivera. Damn, it's going to be a tough transition...

even in his robbed MVP year? Who was better?

He's probably the second or third best shortstop ever, but you're right that it's mostly due to being consistently great, not the the greatest.

So what does everyone think of the explosive offseason the Yankees have had? Tanaka, Beltran, McCann, Ellsbury…how do you guys think they'll fare in New York?

So what does everyone think of the explosive offseason the Yankees have had? Tanaka, Beltran, McCann, Ellsbury…how do you guys think they'll fare in New York?

I think they'll compete. I think they have the right manager in Girardi. Last season he did a great job with all the injuries. He probably will have to do it again.

The entire infield is a question mark. I think Jeter will be Jeter, even if he only hits .270, he'll hustle and lead. I really think Teixeira NEEDS to be, at least, the Teixeira of 2009. No more of this .250 crap.

Hopefully, Sabathia will take a step forward and prove last season was a bump in the road. He's a competitor, so I know the effort will be there. In the end, he needs to be an ACE, not simple the ace of the staff.

Kuroda needs to be paced properly. The Yankees can't afford another second half collapse.

Nova needs to progress into a solid No. 2. I have my doubts.

With Tanaka I'll take 12 or so wins and, hopefully, see an ace in the making.

I don't envy Robertson's position. He merely has to be good and reenforce his intestinal fortitude.

Cross your fingers and hope for no major injuries.

The over/under on wins is 85. I'd take the over but if it was 88 I'd probably take the under.