141 replies to this topic

#141 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

The Sphere

• Members *
  • 7886 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 12:12 AM

View PostThebuckeye2112, on 05 April 2019 - 10:41 PM, said:

I have always dreamed of owning a Siberian Husky or an Alaskan Malamute, mostly because they have a lot of wolf-like characteristics, that and I am always amazed by their strength and courage, especially in events like the Iditarod, the only downsides is that and they shed quite frequently which means constant attention to keeping furniture free of loose pet fur, that and I think they would not like the heat and humidity of North Carolina in the summertime.

As for Husky's, they are, or can be, a tough dog to keep. They have a natural prey drive and cannot be trusted off lead. They can and will escape a yard with too low of a fence, too much of a gap, places to dig under, etc. Malamutes generally have a higher prey drive but not usually quite as wandering. But they can be more dog aggressive too and are actually kind of lazy with lots more fur and are quite a bit larger.

I used to think I wanted a Husky, and have owned and trained dogs on and off for years, but decided against getting one. Just the fact that they "blow coat" a couple of times a year is enough to dissuade many people but their wanderlust is more of an issue, imo.

Sponsored Post

#142 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 31183 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 07:57 PM

View PostFordgalaxy, on 06 April 2019 - 12:12 AM, said:

View PostThebuckeye2112, on 05 April 2019 - 10:41 PM, said:

I have always dreamed of owning a Siberian Husky or an Alaskan Malamute, mostly because they have a lot of wolf-like characteristics, that and I am always amazed by their strength and courage, especially in events like the Iditarod, the only downsides is that and they shed quite frequently which means constant attention to keeping furniture free of loose pet fur, that and I think they would not like the heat and humidity of North Carolina in the summertime.

As for Husky's, they are, or can be, a tough dog to keep. They have a natural prey drive and cannot be trusted off lead. They can and will escape a yard with too low of a fence, too much of a gap, places to dig under, etc. Malamutes generally have a higher prey drive but not usually quite as wandering. But they can be more dog aggressive too and are actually kind of lazy with lots more fur and are quite a bit larger.

I used to think I wanted a Husky, and have owned and trained dogs on and off for years, but decided against getting one. Just the fact that they "blow coat" a couple of times a year is enough to dissuade many people but their wanderlust is more of an issue, imo.
Golden Retrievers are a delight to have in the family. Of course they unfairly enjoy Golden Privilege.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users