143 replies to this topic

#141 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

The Oracle

• Members *
  • 14555 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 12:12 AM

View PostThebuckeye2112, on 05 April 2019 - 10:41 PM, said:

I have always dreamed of owning a Siberian Husky or an Alaskan Malamute, mostly because they have a lot of wolf-like characteristics, that and I am always amazed by their strength and courage, especially in events like the Iditarod, the only downsides is that and they shed quite frequently which means constant attention to keeping furniture free of loose pet fur, that and I think they would not like the heat and humidity of North Carolina in the summertime.

As for Husky's, they are, or can be, a tough dog to keep. They have a natural prey drive and cannot be trusted off lead. They can and will escape a yard with too low of a fence, too much of a gap, places to dig under, etc. Malamutes generally have a higher prey drive but not usually quite as wandering. But they can be more dog aggressive too and are actually kind of lazy with lots more fur and are quite a bit larger.

I used to think I wanted a Husky, and have owned and trained dogs on and off for years, but decided against getting one. Just the fact that they "blow coat" a couple of times a year is enough to dissuade many people but their wanderlust is more of an issue, imo.

Sponsored Post

#142 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 40473 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 07:57 PM

View PostFordgalaxy, on 06 April 2019 - 12:12 AM, said:

View PostThebuckeye2112, on 05 April 2019 - 10:41 PM, said:

I have always dreamed of owning a Siberian Husky or an Alaskan Malamute, mostly because they have a lot of wolf-like characteristics, that and I am always amazed by their strength and courage, especially in events like the Iditarod, the only downsides is that and they shed quite frequently which means constant attention to keeping furniture free of loose pet fur, that and I think they would not like the heat and humidity of North Carolina in the summertime.

As for Husky's, they are, or can be, a tough dog to keep. They have a natural prey drive and cannot be trusted off lead. They can and will escape a yard with too low of a fence, too much of a gap, places to dig under, etc. Malamutes generally have a higher prey drive but not usually quite as wandering. But they can be more dog aggressive too and are actually kind of lazy with lots more fur and are quite a bit larger.

I used to think I wanted a Husky, and have owned and trained dogs on and off for years, but decided against getting one. Just the fact that they "blow coat" a couple of times a year is enough to dissuade many people but their wanderlust is more of an issue, imo.
Golden Retrievers are a delight to have in the family. Of course they unfairly enjoy Golden Privilege.

#143 pjbear05

pjbear05

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4875 posts
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 25 July 2021 - 11:16 AM

Deleting, cant paste pic.

Edited by pjbear05, 25 July 2021 - 11:21 AM.

#144 Weakly Criminal

Weakly Criminal

Stop voting republicRAT

• Members *
  • 15866 posts
  • Interests:Speaking truth to evil, partying, sports and outdoors, avoiding growing up.

Posted 02 September 2021 - 09:14 PM

Oh, I thought this was about a Pink Floyd song. Ok, so anyway...

The best dog I ever had was a German Shepherd Yellow Lab mix. Unbelievably smart. He had a dozen toys and would bring me whichever one I told him to. He spent years without ever knowing a leash as he would heel, sit and stay on command. I could put a treat on his nose and he would patiently wait for his command to toss it in the air and gobble it down. ( I usually wouldn't make him wait long as drool would start pouring from the corners of his mouth) LOL  He had the huge Lab lungs and could swim seemingly forever. Boy did he love to swim. He always knew when I felt bad and would put his head on my knee or in my lap, lick my face and insist on cuddling.  I miss that dog like you wouldn't believe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users