After six years of TRF online friendship...

doublereeder

So, in 2008 I decided to join TRF and found myself in the chat nearly every night. In said chat, I befriended Katie (Kid_Gloves aka Mrs. Tarkus406) and a few others (Phil, Tarkus, Christine, Limey, Goob (and his radio show!), etc.). Anyway, she became one of my best friends. We exchanged phone numbers, added each other on Facebook, and have remained just as close as we were in 2008. For those of you reading, it is 2014. That's a lot of friendship. That's a lot longer than most friendships. We always dreamt up situations of visiting each other, but we were never able to make it happen. Katie texted me a few months ago saying her husband was seeing a concert close to my apartment in Chicago. I offered up my two couches for them to crash on and excitedly counted down the days until we could meet. Welp, today was finally the day. I was afraid this would end up like an episode of Catfish (Google it!) but it did not! We've had a great time, and I'm making plans to visit their neck of the woods in June.

http://i.imgur.com/OApBdEc.png

(That's me on the left and Katie/Kid_Gloves/Mrs. Tarkus406 on the right!)

Edited by doublereeder
  • Like 14

That's very cool- making a friendship developed virtually into something real, when you get to meet in person. That's awesome- and pretty rare, as far as I can tell. Certainly it's a model for what we'd all like to be able to do with friends that we make here!

That's beautiful. I thought that's how it could be. I have been informed by more than one internet vet here that it's mostly and illusion and that makes me kind of sad. I am older and naive I guess but had hoped to make at least a couple "real" friends here. :cheers: to you for having the chutzpah to make it happen..... :) Edited by Narpzilla

So, in 2008 I decided to join TRF and found myself in the chat nearly every night. In said chat, I befriended Katie (Kid_Gloves aka Mrs. Tarkus406) and a few others (Phil, Tarkus, Christine, Limey, Goob (and his radio show!), etc.). Anyway, she became one of my best friends. We exchanged phone numbers, added each other on Facebook, and have remained just as close as we were in 2008. For those of you reading, it is 2014. That's a lot of friendship. That's a lot longer than most friendships. We always dreamt up situations of visiting each other, but we were never able to make it happen. Katie texted me a few months ago saying her husband was seeing a concert close to my apartment in Chicago. I offered up my two couches for them to crash on and excitedly counted down the days until we could meet. Welp, today was finally the day. I was afraid this would end up like an episode of Catfish (Google it!) but it did not! We've had a great time, and I'm making plans to visit their neck of the woods in June.

So cool!!

And a whole lot of pretty in that picture if you don't mind my saying!

That's beautiful. I thought that's how it could be. I have been informed by more than one internet vet here that it's mostly and illusion and that makes me kind of sad. I am older and naive I guess but had hoped to make at least a couple "real" friends here. :cheers: to you for having the chutzpah to make it happen..... :)

Feck what they say, this is real dammit!

That's beautiful. I thought that's how it could be. I have been informed by more than one internet vet here that it's mostly and illusion and that makes me kind of sad. I am older and naive I guess but had hoped to make at least a couple "real" friends here. :cheers: to you for having the chutzpah to make it happen..... :)

It is! I have REAL and true friends I've met through TRF. Friends I know I'll have for a lifetime. We're good like that around here. It's what makes TRF the best! :)

• Like 5

It is! I have REAL and true friends I've met through TRF. Friends I know I'll have for a lifetime. We're good like that around here. It's what makes TRF the best! :)

I know of 3 TRF marriages that resulted from introductions and interactions on this board.

Sundog and Digital Man (I think)

Huck Finn and Mrs. Huck Finn

and of course Kid Gloves and Tarkus406.

YBT's longtime significant other is also someone she met on this board.

Yep, it happens!

And Narpzilla, I do quite a lot of work in Myrtle Beach and Horry County. Thus far I've never had to travel since I've got some co-workers in Charleston and they've taken care of any necessary "face time", but if I ever have to head up that way I will certainly let you know!

Edited by Mara
  • Like 2

I know of 3 TRF marriages that resulted from introductions and interactions on this board.

Yep, it happens!

And Narpzilla, I do quite a lot of work in Myrtle Beach and Horry County. Thus far I've never had to travel since I've got some co-workers in Charleston and they've taken care of any necessary "face time", but if I ever have to head up that way I will certainly let you know!

I would be honored to meet you certainly....... :blush: :)

Yep, it happens!

I would be honored to meet you certainly....... :blush: :)

Likewise! I will definitely let you know since I've got a few filings coming up in that area in the next few months (wireless industry).

Just a word of warning... if ILSnwdog asks to meet up... don't do it. I mean, he invited me over before a concert, made me steak and potatoes... drove me to the concert.

I feel so violated

• Like 7

Just a word of warning... if ILSnwdog asks to meet up... don't do it. I mean, he invited me over before a concert, made me steak and potatoes... drove me to the concert.

I feel so violated

Seems like something he would do.... :cool:
  • Like 1

I've made some great friends that I met from this website. LIX and I have become friends, and we have gotten together with our families. Great times.

Workingcinderellaman and myself started PM on this website. Then we started emailing...then calling. Then he invited me out to Salt Lake to try a little skiing. Then I invited him out to see a White Sox game. Then the family and I went out to Salt Lake. Fast forward a few years, and WCM and I have become such good friends, my wife and I asked WCM to be our youngest daughter's godfather.

I also had the good luck to meet up with TX_Rush when he was up visiting family. I hope to see him next time he is up in Chicago.

There are a lot of quality people who hang out here. :cheers:

• Like 5

So cool!!

Schucks! Don't mind at all, thanks! :)

I feel so violated

Aw man, :LOL: what a horrible experience that must have been! Us Illinois folk are the worst.

So cool!!

Schucks! Don't mind at all, thanks! :)

I feel so violated

Aw man, :LOL: what a horrible experience that must have been! Us Illinois folk are the worst.

Yeah - he made me drink out of a Chicago Bears glass.... I nearly threw up!

• Like 1

YAY!!!

I wanna hit up Chicago one day myself hopefully we can all have a reunion soon :D

:moose: :moose:

I've made some great friends that I met from this website. LIX and I have become friends, and we have gotten together with our families. Great times.

Workingcinderellaman and myself started PM on this website. Then we started emailing...then calling. Then he invited me out to Salt Lake to try a little skiing. Then I invited him out to see a White Sox game. Then the family and I went out to Salt Lake. Fast forward a few years, and WCM and I have become such good friends, my wife and I asked WCM to be our youngest daughter's godfather.

I also had the good luck to meet up with TX_Rush when he was up visiting family. I hope to see him next time he is up in Chicago.

DUDE!

Me you and D-RocK still gotta meet up. Preferably at a Blackhawks and Penguins or Nucks game in Chicago ;)

YAY!!!

I wanna hit up Chicago one day myself hopefully we can all have a reunion soon :D

:moose: :moose:

If you make it up to Chicago for a reunion, you better look me up...or I'll be one pissed off hombre! :rage: ;)

DUDE!

Me you and D-RocK still gotta meet up. Preferably at a Blackhawks and Penguins or Nucks game in Chicago ;)

OK...Ignore my last post. :D I'd love to hook up with you and Derrick! I can't imagine how much fun it would be to hang out with you guys. :banana: If you come for a Blackhawks game, be prepared to pay out the nose for tickets. They are the hottest tickets in town.

Mrs. Snowdog loves going to Blackhawk games though. That would be a fun double date. :hockey:

• Like 1

What she said!

What she said!

Where've you been hiding, facebook? ;)