NERDS UNITE AND CELEBRATE!!!!

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/happy-40th-birthday-dungeons-dragons-214544046.html

D & D turns 40 today!!!

Have to accredit D & D for my love of RUSH. I discovered them both around the same time and they were "like peas-and-carrots". They were two puzzles who's pieces fit together perfectly in my life.

Haven't played D & D in ages and RUSH doesn't rule my life like it used to, but they were both really formative to me in my early years.

Happy Birthday.

• Like 2

I picked up D&D a few years ago and it was lots of fun. Then I was introduced to Pathfinder, which is basically an improved version of D&D 3.5. With any luck the next game we play will be the Serenity tabletop.

D&D was our gateway into to bigger and better adventures. It's still great fun though. :cheers: to D&D

The actual gameplay of d&d never rose to the level expected by the idea of d&d. I tried it many times but never got into it at the level a lot of my friends did. The dungeon master had too much control over things and things were also too predictable. If you love the game make sure you read Quag Keep. It's a really well done book written from the pov of the actual characters from a game, not the people controlling the characters.
  • Like 1

^ I had something of an opposite problem.

I was very interested in D&D and it's gameplay, but none of the friends I ever tried to play it with were interested. Being part of the modern video game generation and all...

So instead I would satisfy my D&D desire by playing a text based game of "The Hobbit". It was okay, didn't appreciate the accompany of visuals because I wanted something completely text based though... So then, I decided to simply make my own text based game which was sequential, but I couldn't play that which I created so I ended up with this half finished, I would know exactly what to do... So i ended up with this useless text document. Then, and I don't know why I strayed from this concept with my first game, I decided to have the roll of a die be the determiner of many events, mainly the combat based ones. It was kind of fun and I just made one "level" and never got much further than that, because I was the player as well as the master so I would have to calculate everything I did as I played and it just didn't feel right. There needs to be a person who is the non-playing judge to determine that... So, maybe I'll try this all again now that I have some programming skills! Simply have the computer do the work for me entirely to offer me fluent gameplay. Too bad it's 2014 and hardly anyone cares for text based games, it's a dead art.

^ I had something of an opposite problem.

I was very interested in D&D and it's gameplay, but none of the friends I ever tried to play it with were interested. Being part of the modern video game generation and all...

So instead I would satisfy my D&D desire by playing a text based game of "The Hobbit". It was okay, didn't appreciate the accompany of visuals because I wanted something completely text based though... So then, I decided to simply make my own text based game which was sequential, but I couldn't play that which I created so I ended up with this half finished, I would know exactly what to do... So i ended up with this useless text document. Then, and I don't know why I strayed from this concept with my first game, I decided to have the roll of a die be the determiner of many events, mainly the combat based ones. It was kind of fun and I just made one "level" and never got much further than that, because I was the player as well as the master so I would have to calculate everything I did as I played and it just didn't feel right. There needs to be a person who is the non-playing judge to determine that... So, maybe I'll try this all again now that I have some programming skills! Simply have the computer do the work for me entirely to offer me fluent gameplay. Too bad it's 2014 and hardly anyone cares for text based games, it's a dead art.

Cool. I used to really be into hex based military simulation games. After I played them for a while I bought blank hex paper and attached them to "boards" and made my own. I remember one I made for Stalingrad that I was quite proud of.

The actual gameplay of d&d never rose to the level expected by the idea of d&d. I tried it many times but never got into it at the level a lot of my friends did. The dungeon master had too much control over things and things were also too predictable. If you love the game make sure you read Quag Keep. It's a really well done book written from the pov of the actual characters from a game, not the people controlling the characters.

Sounds like you needed a better DM.

Just a bunch of high school kids.

I get that, but what I'm saying is that a good DM has a lot of control but will use that to adapt the whole thing around the players. Mind you this can get incredibly tricky if the players are jerks or try to completely break the campaign (ie, they burn down the town where something important was planned, then kill everyone that isn't in the party) but it is doable.

I get that, but what I'm saying is that a good DM has a lot of control but will use that to adapt the whole thing around the players. Mind you this can get incredibly tricky if the players are jerks or try to completely break the campaign (ie, they burn down the town where something important was planned, then kill everyone that isn't in the party) but it is doable.

Yeah.

A good DM was always a plus.