Psychedelic Music Thread

rushgoober

Psychedelic music was around from 1965-1973 or so, but the true heart of it was 1967-1969, and most of the classic albums came from these years. Psychedelic was a precursor to progressive, which seems kind of strange seeing as they are so different sounding, but there it is. This is personally my very favorite genre of music. Prior to psychedelic music, there was pop and a whole lot of love songs, but popular music didn't really have a bite until psych appeared on the scene imho. Another reason I love this genre so much is because at the advent of psych, rock and roll was still a relatively new phenomena, barely 10 years old, and the wild experimentation that psych brought was truly unique and original, it was music that hadn't been done before, and while it had it's influences, namely blues, folk, rock, and eastern music, it was still wholly unique and completely non-derivative. Now, many people seem to like to say that psych music never really died and that it's still alive and well today. While there is a lot of "neo-psych" out there, to me it has very little in common with what I consider to be the golden age of late 60's and early 70's psych either in sound or spirit, though if you're going purely on mindbending, often drug-inspired music designed to transport one, then it can fit the more technical definition of the word psychedelic, but for me it really is a different genre entirely.

Here are some of my very favorites (a handful are borderline being a little more pop or prog, but still psych too) from that 65-73 period:

13th Floor Elevators - The Psychedelic Sounds of

13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere

Appletree Theater - Playback

Arzachel - s/t

Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs

Syd Barrett - Barrett

Syd Barrett - Opel

Beatles - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour

Blue Cheer - Outsideinside

Terry Brooks & Strange - Translucent World

Byrds - 5th Dimension

Byrds - Younger Than Yesterday

Byrds - Notorious Byrd Brothers

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Safe As Milk

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Strictly Personal

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica

Clear Light - s/t

Country Joe & The Fish - Electric Music for the Mind and Body

Country Joe & The Fish - I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die

Cream - Disraeli Gears

Creation of Sunlight - s/t

Doors - s/t

Doors - Strange Days

The Electronic Hole - s/t

Fairport Convention - s/t

Family Tree - Miss Butters

Fifty Foot Hose - Cauldron

Freeborne - Peak Impressions

Gandalf - s/t

Gong - Magic Brother Mystic Sister

Gong - Camembert Electrique

Grateful Dead - Anthem of the Sun

Grateful Dead - Aoxomoxoa

Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?

Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold As Love

Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland

Hollies - Butterfly

Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow

Jefferson Airplane - After Bathing At Baxter's

Kak - s/t

Kaliedoscope - Tangerine Dream

Kinks - Are the Village Green Preservation Society

Lazy Smoke - Corridor of Faces

Love - Forever Changes

Mandrake Memorial - Medium

Mandrake Memorial - Puzzle

Moby Grape - s/t

Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed

Moody Blues - In Search of the Lost Chord

Moody Blues - On the Threshold of a Dream

Peanut Butter Conspiracy - The Great Conspiracy

Pearls Before Swine - One Nation Underground

Perth County Conspiracy - Does Not Exist

Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Pink Floyd - A Saucerful of Secrets

Pink Floyd - Ummagumma

Pink Floyd - Early Singles

Pretty Things - S.F. Sorrow

Quicksilver Messenger Service - s/t

Quicksilver Messenger Service - Happy Trails

Relatively Clean Rivers - s/t

Rolling Stones - Flowers

Sapphire Thinkers - From Within

Smoke - s/t

Soft Machine - Volume 1

Soft Machine - Volume 2

Spirit - 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus

Strawberry Alarm Clock - Wake Up It's Tomorrow

Tomorrow - s/t

Traffic - Mr. Fantasy

Velvet Underground & Nico - s/t

West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band - Part One

West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band - Volume 3: A Child's Guide to Good & Evil

White Noise - An Electric Storm

The Who - The Who Sell Out

Wizards From Kansas - s/t

Ya Ho Wa 13 - Penetration: An Aquarian Symphony

Ya Ho Wa 13 - I'm Gonna Take You Home

Ya Ho Wa 13 - Savage Sons of Ya Ho Wa

Zombies - Odessey and Oracle

DISCUSS! yes.gif

Goob!!! I only have one thing to say...

Where's HAWKWIND ?

THE psychedelic band of the century!

http://www.levykauppax.fi/cover/normal/7/74/7413.jpg

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jul 15 2005, 11:46 AM)

Where's HAWKWIND ?

This brings up an interesting point. There are a lot of cd's in my collection that I haven't absorbed well enough, meaning that when I finally feel like I've heard them enough to judge them better, there might be some additions to this list from what I already own. Hawkwind is one example - I have their first 4 albums on cassette which I haven't listened to in a very long time. I liked them when I did listen to them, but didn't fall in love with them, if you will. I'll have to give them another shot one of these days to see if they've grown on me and would make my list....

Peace,

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/rushgoober/goob.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 15 2005, 12:08 PM)

Where's HAWKWIND ?

This brings up an interesting point. There are a lot of cd's in my collection that I haven't absorbed well enough, meaning that when I finally feel like I've heard them enough to judge them better, there might be some additions to this list from what I already own. Hawkwind is one example - I have their first 4 albums on cassette which I haven't listened to in a very long time. I liked them when I did listen to them, but didn't fall in love with them, if you will. I'll have to give them another shot one of these days to see if they've grown on me and would make my list....

Peace,

What's the point of this thread is if it's all about YOUR list? I realize you have an opinion but no offense you come off as pretentious and arrogant when people mention a band and then you have to explain why or why not it is not on YOUR list. I'm willing to discuss bands but in general terms not whether it belongs on YOUR list or not...Sorry but YOUR list is not the all authorative reference point in listing the best bands of the genre....

Do you by chance work for Rolling Stone? confused13.gif tongue.gif

rantoff.gif ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jul 15 2005, 06:34 PM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jul 15 2005, 12:33 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jul 15 2005, 05:20 PM)

Do you by chance work for Rolling Stone?  confused13.gif  tongue.gif

Saucer of milk, Test? biggrin.gif

laugh.gif cat.gif

rofl3.gif Testy you beat me to it laugh.gif

http://k-tan.staba.jp/hawkwind/hw_st/hw_st15b.jpg

This is psychedelia, and its from 1992.....a truly great HW album

These are singles btw:

Strawberry Alarm Clock - "I had too much to dream last night"

Pink Floyd - "Brain Damage"

Small Faces - "Itchycoo Park"

Jeff Beck/Rod Stewart - "Morning Dew"

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jul 15 2005, 12:20 PM)

Where's HAWKWIND ?

Peace,

What's the point of this thread is if it's all about YOUR list? I realize you have an opinion but no offense you come off as pretentious and arrogant when people mention a band and then you have to explain why or why not it is not on YOUR list. I'm willing to discuss bands but in general terms not whether it belongs on YOUR list or not...Sorry but YOUR list is not the all authorative reference point in listing the best bands of the genre....

rantoff.gif ph34r.gif

i'm sorry, i missed the part where i was trying to pretentious and arrogant? i started with my list, someone asked why a certain group wasn't on my list so i told them, but it's not all about my list. what i said was my opinion only and my list is authoratative to me, but i wouldn't expect it to be for anyone else, and i never thought i implied that it was supposed to. i thought i was just starting off a discussion - please, agree with me, disagree, state your list, argue over groups, etc. - let's discuss it. nowhere in my thoughts was i trying to be authoritative or say this is the way it is, just telling you my personal favorites and thoughts. i don't know why it was interpreted otherwise... confused13.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 15 2005, 12:42 PM)
These are singles btw:

I had too much to dream last night is actually a single from The Electric Prunes - GREAT psych song imho. The Strawberry Alarm Clock had a lot of great songs, but are by far best known for Incense and Peppermints.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 15 2005, 01:49 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 15 2005, 12:42 PM)
These are singles btw:

I had too much to dream last night is actually a single from The Electric Prunes - GREAT psych song imho. The Strawberry Alarm Clock had a lot of great songs, but are by far best known for Incense and Peppermints.

Yes, you're right. I was confusing the two groups. Another I remember:

Cream - "SWLABR (She walks like a bearded rainbow)"

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jul 15 2005, 12:58 PM)
I have 'You' by Gong. I think this is pretty cool....quite mystifying

You I agree is a GREAT album. It's arguable whether this would be psych or prog, but then again Gong were so unique and wierd anyway that they're pretty hard to classify...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 15 2005, 12:49 PM)

I had too much to dream last night is actually a single from The Electric Prunes - GREAT psych song imho.

If memory serves, Robert Plant (former lead singer of Led Zeppelin & neo hippie) credits the Electric Prunes with releasing the first Psychedelic song.

BTW Robert Plant's Dreamland is a great modern Psychedelic album....his version of Morning Dew rivals Jeff Becks!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 15 2005, 12:47 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jul 15 2005, 12:20 PM)

Where's HAWKWIND ?

Peace,

rantoff.gif ph34r.gif

i'm sorry, i missed the part where i was trying to pretentious and arrogant? i started with my list, someone asked why a certain group wasn't on my list so i told them, but it's not all about my list. what i said was my opinion only and my list is authoratative to me, but i wouldn't expect it to be for anyone else, and i never thought i implied that it was supposed to. i thought i was just starting off a discussion - please, agree with me, disagree, state your list, argue over groups, etc. - let's discuss it. nowhere in my thoughts was i trying to be authoritative or say this is the way it is, just telling you my personal favorites and thoughts. i don't know why it was interpreted otherwise... confused13.gif

My apologies for appearing to be hostile (wasn't my intention)...in a way I was just joshing with ya tongue.gif

I misinterpreted your post as you saying your list is the definitive list and I misread your comment as Hawkwind not worthy because they did not fit your criteria rather than a personal preference for the band....

I am in a crappy mood and I'm sorry if I offend u but at the same time i was just having a lil fun with ya (hence the Rolling Stone comment)

Anyways back on topic...from YOUR list ( laugh.gif ) my favs are include the Beatles albums u mentioned (but Revolver is a big one too), Hendrix's albums (especially Electric Ladyland), Jefferson Airplane's Surrealistic Pillow, all the Floyd and Syd of course, Doors, the Dead....

a big song from the era i liked was "Psychotic Reaction" by Count Five...

Then there is Frank Zappa's Freak Out album, Led Zep's first album, Jeff Beck era Yardbirds, Iron Butterfly...

My apologies for appearing to be hostile (wasn't my intention)...in a way I was just joshing with ya  tongue.gif...  I am in a crappy mood and I'm sorry if I offend u but at the same time i was just having a lil fun with ya (hence the Rolling Stone comment) 

no worries dude, and i appreciate you responding. i just like to keep the air clear, and my apologies if i misinterpreted your intentions too wacko.gif smile.gif trink39.gif

I misinterpreted your post as you saying your list is the definitive list and I misread your comment as Hawkwind not worthy because they did not fit your criteria rather than a personal preference for the band....

definitely personal preference, and even then i'm not saying they're not worthy to go in my list, just that i didn't go hog wild over them upon my first attempts with them, but with more concerted listening, i may have a higher opinion of them - i really feel i don't know their albums well enough yet to give an informed opinion. i know a lot of hawkwind fans, and have noticed that hawkwind fans seem to be a breed all to their own, and sometimes hawkwind fans aren't even general psych music fans, but simply "hawkwind fans" - they have a HUGE following in the uk, but are virtually unknown by comparison in the states. hawkwind, while psych, also belong to the much smaller "space rock" genre which also includes early floyd, gong, etc. some of these genres are a little malleable and some groups like hawkwind and gong don't fit in comfortably to just one.

a big song from the era i liked was "Psychotic Reaction" by Count Five...
they were an interesting group in that they were a very young high school band who somehow got this song to not only get played, but to become #1 in the states - they made a few albums, but i only have the 1st psychotic reaction album from 1966 - i remember it being decent overall, but the psychotic reaction song was definitely their finest moment imho.

Then there is Frank Zappa's Freak Out album...

Zappa's very first album (with the mothers of invention) from 1966 - I actually meant this to go on my personal list, but for some reason i forgot to type it in - one of my all time top 10-15 fave psych albums - half of it sounds like extremely warped and demented 50's doo wop songs, and the rest is pure zappa freak out madness - i personally think it's his finest moment (with or without the mothers), and he never equaled it.

again, all IMHO. wink.gif

peace,

GAH! Goob man... My cousin had Anthems of the Sun by Grateful Dead AND I FORGOT TO BURN A COPY!!!!

Oh well. That copy would've only been temporary, because I listened to it a lot and it's well worth the money. So if I can find it I'll be getting it soon.

Can't argue with Goober's list , but I'd have to say my favourite psychadelic track of the lot is probably Nirvana's "Rainbow Chaser".

(Or do we have to call them Nirvana UK now?)

Class song.

Regarding Hawkwind, whatever people's personal feelings are, just remember that if you are making love, it is imperative to bring all bodies to orgasm simultaneously?!.

Thank You biggrin.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Jul 17 2005, 07:45 PM)
Can't argue with Goober's list , but I'd have to say my favourite psychadelic track of the lot is probably Nirvana's "Rainbow Chaser".

(Or do we have to call them Nirvana UK now?)

Class song.

Regarding Hawkwind, whatever people's personal feelings are, just remember that if you are making love, it is imperative to bring all bodies to orgasm simultaneously?!.

Thank You biggrin.gif

Yeah, Rainbow Chaser by the original UK late 60's Nirvana is a GREAT song. Another classic UK psych song is Vaccuum Cleaner by Tintern Abbey (who only managed to release one single, and the other song Beeside is also a classic).

Goober you forgot The Bob Seger System. Those are some great albums. so powerful and so soulfull.

Archived