Babylon 5

USB Connector

Which episode are you at? Heavy season that one... :o

Turns out I was a lot further than suspected. I'm at the second to last episode of season 4. (spoilers below)

What an awesome conclusion. I guess they ended the shadow war an episode or two faster than they should have to give enough time for the Earth war, which was flawlessly executed. I would have been okay with Garabaldi being killed after he learned the truth but then we wouldn't have gotten those hilarious scenes while he was looking for Lise. It's pretty obvious that they thought this was the last season. There's really no reason to have another one and having planned for another 25 episodes feels like it would have been too spread out.

• Like 1

Yes they figured it was the last one but don't skip the 5th season, it has a few jewels in it that JMS got to do after the fact.
  • Like 2

Yes they figured it was the last one but don't skip the 5th season, it has a few jewels in it that JMS got to do after the fact.

Yeah, the 5th season was something of a "okay, wtf do we do now, after having been told that the series had to conclude after the 4th season, and we scrambled our asses off to do that?"

Despite that, the 5th season has some good episodes and is well worth watching.

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert
  • Like 2

I'm midway through season 4 now. There was a bit of a slump when the shadow war ended. I'm disappointed with what they're doing with Garabaldi

I was too when I first saw the series. I was like, "wtf is going on with Garibaldi, I don't think I like it." My wife back then didn't like it either. Boo hiss, wtf is going on with Garibaldi?

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert

One of the things that I most like about Babylon 5, which distinguishes it from the vast majority of other tv shows or movies out there, is the very serious, insightful explorations into things like politics, not in some fantasy land feel good bullshit like Star Trek Next Generation where the whole Federation is some happy magical place where they can create food and drink out of nothing,

Babylon 5 is nitty, gritty, down and dirty, really hardcore exploration of the major ideas about existence, philosophy, politics, etc.

This is one of the reasons why I preferred DS9 to the other Trek series. It portrays the federation as imperfect, corruptible, and is quick to tell you that everything you've seen in the other series has been perfect because all you saw was the flagship and the innermost buddy circle of the human-vulcan alliances. Of course the flagship has to be perfect. It didn't go to the lengths Babylon 5 did, but it didn't stick with the idea of, to quote Gene Roddenberry "a sort of united nations that works" presented in the other series.

Oh, hands down, DS 9 was the best of the Star Trek series. I know that is a minority viewpoint, but f**k the majority, what has the majority ever done regarding such matters except vote for something lamer and tamer than the best?

I'm midway through season 4 now. There was a bit of a slump when the shadow war ended. I'm disappointed with what they're doing with Garabaldi

I was too when I first saw the series. I was like, "wtf is going on with Garibaldi, I don't think I like it." My wife back then didn't like it either. Boo hiss, wtf is going on with Garibaldi?

I thought it was pretty obvious that it was brainwash from the start. At first I figured okay, he's just being pissy this episode, when he went around Sheridan and started speaking ill of him and his coworkers to others the first one I knew it was brainwashing given how consistent the writing has been for each character to date -- a change this drastic just didn't make sense. The question was just a matter of figuring out if it was Psi Corps, Earth Dome or The Shadows.

Finished Thirdspace today. That was okay. I love the event that kicks off the whole thing: The artifact is obviously a device that allows us to travel beyond hyperspace. We'd be able to go even faster than we can now. Can't you see it? I just pulled all of this out of my ass because all we know is that this thing is over a million years old and it drains energy but seriously, it's obvious, now trust me.

Finished Thirdspace today. That was okay. I love the event that kicks off the whole thing: The artifact is obviously a device that allows us to travel beyond hyperspace. We'd be able to go even faster than we can now. Can't you see it? I just pulled all of this out of my ass because all we know is that this thing is over a million years old and it drains energy but seriously, it's obvious, now trust me.

Be sure when to watch this when you get a chance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon_5:_In_the_Beginning

Excellent prequel movie to the series

That's actually what I started watching this morning before taking off for my first lecture. I'm following this ordering for the series. The only reason I didn't watch thirdspace on time was because when I popped it in the movie opened up with "[...] after making contact with third space, [...]" so I figured this was something that happened in the series that I either missed or I misread the watch order.

I just finished watching the whole thing with Byron and his little colony of telepaths. Man they're really grasping for straws. One tiny little shootout at the end once everything is resolved after tons and tons already took place and "NOPE! Now it's mass suicide. You had your chance". Now Garabaldi is this massive drama queen.

Seasons 1-4 were incredible, but so far while season 5 has it's moments it's all so incredibly forced. They need at least 2 seasons the play out what they're trying to do with the telepaths. I mean, The Shadow War and Earth Wars JUST ended. Since Telepaths weren't actively rebelling or showing signs of it prior to that, there's no way they'd start for at least another few years.

Now that I have more time on my hands with the Rush scene quieting down, I've turned to binge- watching TV shows, and am finally committing to watching B5. I've watched The Gathering and most of the first season. I like the more realistic view of future humanity as compared to Star Trek, and how the political statements made by the characters could be Facebook posts from today. At first the characters seemed a bit cartoonish, but 2-3 episodes in, I was in love with all of them (I sense heartbreak in my future). I'm going to be interested to see how I feel about the transition from Sinclair to Sheridan, since I like Sinclair. Lots to look forward to!
  • Like 4

Babylon 5 is one of my favorites ...note my avatar. I hope you will give updates on your progress, I just might join you. I would love to see Marcus :heart: again and Delenn, Londo, G'Kar and the others....great story.

Some funny stuff too....Londo to Vir "What do you want you moon-faced assassin of joy?" :LOLsign: :rfl: I believe that is in season 1. Marcus doesn't come along until season 3 I believe..Enjoy it.

Edited by Rhyta