Babylon 5

USB Connector

Has anyone seen this show? I've recently finished season 2. For the most part I'm really enjoying it even though the first 6 episodes of season 2 nearly made me stop watching because someone thought it would be a good idea to tell the actors to overact, use the soundtrack of the worst soap opera ever and have the scenes structured to match. Thank god they fixed that in a hurry. I'm curious to know if other TRF members think of the show.

I just recently watched the entire series. Rented it from Netflix. I had seen a few episodes one was on originally but they put it on so late at night and so erratically that it was hard to watch on a regular basis. I love the show. The first season was a little up-and-down but once Sheridan came on board I think the series really took off.

Wow, this is a dangerous topic for me!! Saw the show when it was first on and Loved, Loved, just LOVED the 1st season.

Then Sinclair left and Sheridan came on board. I was like "Why are you changing near perfection?" Kept watching. Watched the 2nd season. Just wonderful plot. I liked the soundtrack and special effects. Many of the characters I liked. But Sheridan - ugh. I tried to like him. I really tried. But the more I watched, the I could not stand him and it really started to damage my interest in a great show that otherwise I was liking more and more. But I was disliking him more and more. Got to the point that when he started to talk I started to mute the TV.

Watched big portions of the 3rd season but finally just got to the point where I so disliked his character that it just ruined the show for me. Watched little parts of the 4th season (did not like the resolution to one very major plot line - wont say what in case somebody is reading this who has never watched the show but those who have seen the show can most likely guess, you would either love it or hate it) and never watched the 5th season.

Years latter bought it on DVD. Figured another look at the series would be helpful. Perhaps I would not dislike Sheridan as much after all these years.

No help. Loved the show - except for Sheridan. Watched the entire series but hated, just hated his character. Since his character is so central to the post season 1 material it leaves with me with incredibly confused feeling about the show.

May watch it again one of these days but I know it wont change my feelings. Because of my major dislike for him I have a real split personality over the show, The plot is so great, so many of the characters are great but Sheridan - ugh just hate the character and it so ruins the series. But if you like his character you are in for a real treat - if they had kept Sinclair on the show, wow, what a great show it would have been (for me).

Thankfully I can always watch Stargate SG-1 which ran twice as long and while, not having a plot that was as good, its still very good and I like all the major characters. The other Stargate shows are a totally different matter. Not good.

Yeah, Sheridan isn't as great as Sinclair. I did some research on why Sinclair left. Turns out he was having mental issues and JMS thought the show would not help him get better. I really hated Sheridan at first but I think that he grew into his role by the end of season 2. He's still nowhere near as perfect for the role as Sinclair but it's good enough for me to enjoy it. If you re-watch season 1 you'll see that they really did intend to keep Sinclair long term. There are two episodes in there that cause plot holes long term as they imply that Sinclair will be on Babylon 5 for a very long time.
  • Like 1

OMG I LOVE BABYLON 5!!!!

Got the whole 5 series on DVD plus the movies and the follow on series, Crusade.

• Like 1

I've watched it a few times. For me, the first season is something to tolerate in order to get to the good stuff. Sinclair is just not a good actor, and I like Sheridan so much more.

I heard that B5 was originally written to be five seasons, but then it was going to be cancelled at the end of the fourth. As you're watching, you see them quickly try to tie up the loose ends during the fourth season, only to have the show renewed for a final fifth season. For that reason, the fifth season seems like somewhat an afterthought.

But yeah, seasons two through four are great.

• Like 1

I thought the actor that played Sinclair was really wooden and stiff. I like Bruce Boxleitner. I guess I'm in the minority. I did like how they wrapped up Sinclair's character later on though. Edited by EagleMoon

Yeah, he was stiff, but towards the end of the season he grew into the role and it became more of a calm and calculating thing, which is what a commander should be.

Well I am a big Babylon 5 fan :D Look at my avatar and that's Lyta, a telepath from the show and I absolutely adored Marcus :drool: I found the story arc very involved and thought provoking. I began watching when TNT picked it up the 80's and recorded all the episodes. I too found the change from Sinclair to Sheridan a bit jarring but his character grew on me. I just picked up a couple more of the season sets with my Christmas gift certificates. I have been thinking it is time to watch it again, I see something new each time I watch. Thank the great Maker for such great show :notworthy:
  • Like 1

Well I am a big Babylon 5 fan :D Look at my avatar and that's Lyta, a telepath from the show and I absolutely adored Marcus :drool: I found the story arc very involved and thought provoking. I began watching when TNT picked it up the 80's and recorded all the episodes. I too found the change from Sinclair to Sheridan a bit jarring but his character grew on me. I just picked up a couple more of the season sets with my Christmas gift certificates. I have been thinking it is time to watch it again, I see something new each time I watch. Thank the great Maker for such great show :notworthy:

I was surprised because I hadn't read up on the show before I watched it or anything, and when Sheridan showed up in season 2 it was quite the surprise.But he did bring an energy to the show that wasn't there before that. It was interesting to watch the quality of the graphics get better each year too. It's too bad they couldn't have had a longer run. I've watched the tv movies too, and I liked Thirdspace the best.

• Like 1

I thought the actor that played Sinclair was really wooden and stiff. I like Bruce Boxleitner. I guess I'm in the minority. I did like how they wrapped up Sinclair's character later on though.

I agree with you.

I don't get the Sheridan hating. I loved his character.

Imo, Bablyon 5 is the best sci fi series ever made. It starts off slow and not so great in the first season, but then really picks up from there.

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert
  • Like 4

I thought the actor that played Sinclair was really wooden and stiff. I like Bruce Boxleitner. I guess I'm in the minority. I did like how they wrapped up Sinclair's character later on though.

I agree with you.

Imo, Bablyon 5 is the best sci fi series ever made. It starts off slow and not so great in the first season, but then really picks up from there.

I agree 100%. Maybe part of the problem too was the special effects were really kind of hokey in the first season as well.

• Like 1

I started season 3 today. I'm starting to like Sheridan more and more. He's not an awkwardly obvious replacement for Sinclair any more. Looks like the actor is finally comfortable with the role and the script isn't forcing him to be Sinclair any more. This is great. Edited by USB Connector
  • Like 3

I agree with you.

Agreed. I;m not a huge sci fi fan, but my Brother in law loaned me the series when I was recoverin' from my first back surgery. He insisted that I'd love it and used a term for it I'd never heard before. He called it "military science fiction". Well, that intrigued the heck out of me so I watched it and immediately watched it again to pick up on all the subtext I missed the first time. Great, great series. Just magical.

PS: I liked both Sheridan and Sinclair.

Almost forgot: I own a replica Earth Alliance pin that my Brother in law got for me at a sci fi convention and gave to me as a birthday present.

Edited by Jack Aubrey
  • Like 3

I agree with you.

Agreed. I;m not a huge sci fi fan, but my Brother in law loaned me the series when I was recoverin' from my first back surgery. He insisted that I'd love it and used a term for it I'd never heard before. He called it "military science fiction". Well, that intrigued the heck out of me so I watched it and immediately watched it again to pick up on all the subtext I missed the first time. Great, great series. Just magical.

Almost forgot: I own a replica Earth Alliance pin that my Brother in law got for me at a sci fi convention and gave to me as a birthday present.

I am so glad to see folks giving some love to this series, it has always been underated IMHO. There is a group of fans trying to get it shown on cable again, Free Babylon 5 on facebook is one of the ways to find out about it. They managed to get a channel in the U.K. to begin it again so there is hope.

p.s. I have a couple of the Ranger pins which are cool too. :D

• Like 2

I agree with you.

I am so glad to see folks giving some love to this series, it has always been underated IMHO. There is a group of fans trying to get it shown on cable again, Free Babylon 5 on facebook is one of the ways to find out about it. They managed to get a channel in the U.K. to begin it again so there is hope.

p.s. I have a couple of the Ranger pins which are cool too. :D

I follow Claudia Christian on Facebook. It was cool seeing all her pictures from the convention. Neat to see all the actors together again. It's too bad they can't seem to get this series back on the air. I would imagine with the improvements in computer animation and graphics now it would be even more awesome.

• Like 1

I am afraid that window has passed, with the actors who played Franklin, G'Kar, Zathras (among others) going to The Rim :sigh:

It was rumored that a movie was in the works in the early 90's but after all the trouble JMS had with Warner Bros over his copyrights it just didn't happen :(

It will never happen unless it's a reboot. No one wants to watch that much material to watch one movie. Same reason Star Trek will never have anything post Voyager or Stargate post SGU or SG1 for that matter.

I'm nearing the end of season 3. The pacing is incredible. It's not rushed and it's not padded to fill more time. The pacing is perfect for the story being told. I can't say that about many shows.

• Like 1

I am afraid that window has passed, with the actors who played Franklin, G'Kar, Zathras (among others) going to The Rim :sigh:

It was rumored that a movie was in the works in the early 90's but after all the trouble JMS had with Warner Bros over his copyrights it just didn't happen :(

Oh I understand that, but I was thinking more along the lines of something in the same universe. Wouldn't have to be all the same characters.

Maybe, after some time, they'll do a remake? It certainly worked for Battlestar Galactica.

Now, if we could only get more seasons of Firefly I would be most happy, indeed.

• Like 1

Maybe, after some time, they'll do a remake? It certainly worked for Battlestar Galactica.

Now, if we could only get more seasons of Firefly I would be most happy, indeed.

As long as Nathan Fillion is doing Castle I doubt that would happen. Though I'm sure he'd loved to do them.

I actually wouldn't want a remake. Remakes nowadays seem to mean simplifying the plots and meaning so that the lowest common denominator can enjoy it as an action movie/series. IMO BSG only worked because the original wasn't very good to begin with. The remake was solid for the first two seasons but the second half of the series was very weak overall.

Whedon stated he's not interested in doing a Firefly (or buffy) follow up. I can't say I blame him

I came out publicly when the Veronica Mars Kickstarter thing happened to relay that because, right now, it can’t be done. Everybody’s working—thank God. I have often said I would love to get the crew back together. There’s another side of that. There’s the Monkey’s Paw fear of even if it’s just as good, it won’t be as good, because it will be just as good, and it’s already been new, so you won’t have that. Now everybody is like, “Are you going to remake ”Buffy”? Are you going to Kickstarter?” My blanket answer is “No.” It’s not a question I’m interested in hearing again, which is why I quit my other job

• Like 1