• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#21 GeminiRising79

GeminiRising79

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2707 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:15 PM

Change your name to kRinge until your drummer loses the african hat.

Sponsored Post

#22 jnoble

jnoble

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1076 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

View PostBluefunk, on 30 January 2014 - 05:09 PM, said:

View Postandreww, on 30 January 2014 - 03:20 PM, said:

check these guys out

I like the music, but he sang the wrong words! :lol:

View Postandreww, on 30 January 2014 - 03:17 PM, said:

Anyway, if I were doing a Rush tribute band I would totally go the long wig route and wear the Kimonos. That would sell the illusion visually, which I find to be the most distracting thing about cover bands.
:D  I like the kimono idea!

But I find the whole impersonation thing quite unsettling; if a band is musically proficient enough to play Rush songs, surely it would be better for them to write their own stuff and play that? Maybe cover some Rush, but do it in their own style? I find watching people dressing up as Geddy Lee a bit disturbing- it's like watching an Elvis impersonator. Am I the only one who feels that way? :blink:

This is where I'm at now. Years ago in the late '90s before Youtube and while the band themselves were in hiatus, going to see a Rush cover band was really cool and exciting. Now, 17 years later and having seen about a million of them as well as playing in one myself for a long time off and on (we never played paying gigs, just the occcasional backyard party) I find them (no offense to anyone please) mostly predictable, sometimes cringe worthy, and a sense of been there-done that.  There's a ton of Rush tribute bands out there all promising to be THE ULTIMATE tribute, but all sounding and looking more or less the same to me. It's boring.  

If I was in a band now that played a Rush song, I'd totally be open to reinterpreting it or reworking it to keep it interesting.  Again, hearing (or performing myself) yet another note-for-note rendition of Tom Sawyer or Limelight or 2112 or Spirit is very stale.

Edited by jnoble, 31 January 2014 - 07:08 PM.

#23 jnoble

jnoble

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1076 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:02 PM

View Postandreww, on 30 January 2014 - 03:20 PM, said:

check these guys out

Ugh. That singer is not very good and the song sounds...off. Like "Alex" is slightly out of tune or playing the wrong chords. And did "Geddy" really have to do the "how you all doing out there tonight?" with the hand over the eye routine?  This is the type of thing I was describing before as douche-y

Edited by jnoble, 31 January 2014 - 07:07 PM.

#24 KennyLee

KennyLee

Always A Bridesmaid

• Members
  • 2937 posts
  • Interests:Rush, hockey, Rush and hockey.

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:43 AM

View PostGeminiRising79, on 31 January 2014 - 05:15 PM, said:

Hmm. He's wearing the hat Neil wears with the Alchemy symbols on it. Is that African?  :huh:

#25 GeddysMullet

GeddysMullet

Non-Binary

• Members
  • 5293 posts
  • Interests:music, books, documentary films, parrots, long hair, big noses

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

Ahh, Gemini, always with a kind word to contribute!  What would we do without you around here? :huh: :lol:

#26 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27720 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:20 PM

View PostGeddysMullet, on 03 February 2014 - 05:04 PM, said:

Ahh, Gemini, always with a kind word to contribute!  What would we do without you around here? :huh: :lol:
I can answer that for me. I would be a little more bored than I am already...... :lol:

Edited by Narpzilla, 03 February 2014 - 06:20 PM.

#27 GeminiRising79

GeminiRising79

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2707 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

View PostKennyLee, on 03 February 2014 - 08:43 AM, said:

Hmm. He's wearing the hat Neil wears with the Alchemy symbols on it. Is that African?  :huh:

I guess African-"inspired".  Its the biggest eyesore in the Rush limelight, nowadays.

Edited by GeminiRising79, 03 February 2014 - 09:34 PM.

#28 KennyLee

KennyLee

Always A Bridesmaid

• Members
  • 2937 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:32 AM

View PostGeminiRising79, on 03 February 2014 - 09:33 PM, said:

View PostKennyLee, on 03 February 2014 - 08:43 AM, said:

I guess African-"inspired".  Its the biggest eyesore in the Rush limelight, nowadays.

:facepalm:

#29 Brucey

Brucey

Babycat's Nemesis

• Members *
  • 8888 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

No Rush tribute bands where I am. In fact, it seems barely anyone round here has heard of them even.

#30 KennyLee

KennyLee

Always A Bridesmaid

• Members
  • 2937 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

View PostRushAreAwesome, on 04 February 2014 - 03:18 PM, said:

No Rush tribute bands where I am. In fact, it seems barely anyone round here has heard of them even.

That's sad.  :boohoo:

#31 sitboaf

sitboaf

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

Impressive, Kenny.
What's best about your performances is that you guys make it look easy when we all know it ain't.
Yes, I too have had cringe-y experiences in the past listening to bands trying to take on too much. You guys nail it.

Some 20+ years ago, I could be found tagging along behind an extremely talented local prog-rock band, and they were dumb enough to play Tom Sawyer when they were young. That is, until one day at an outdoor gig when the singer's voice cracked while singing "the river!" and I think some birds died.

Later on, they stuck to covering "easier" prog like Tears, Comfortably Numb, and Abacab.

#32 KennyLee

KennyLee

Always A Bridesmaid

• Members
  • 2937 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:34 AM

Thanks! Certainly not easy but I think it looks that way because we are enjoying the ever-loving sh*t out of it! I can't even tell you how happy it makes me to play these... and not just for money or on stage. We had a practice last night and I smiled all the way through it. It never gets old.

#33 GeminiRising79

GeminiRising79

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2707 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:20 PM

View PostKennyLee, on 05 February 2014 - 08:34 AM, said:

Thanks! Certainly not easy but I think it looks that way because we are enjoying the ever-loving sh*t out of it! I can't even tell you how happy it makes me to play these... and not just for money or on stage. We had a practice last night and I smiled all the way through it. It never gets old.

Hi Kenny- Have u guys tried to replicate the ATWAS performance?

#34 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27720 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

View PostRushAreAwesome, on 04 February 2014 - 03:18 PM, said:

Welcome to almost anywhere 1974-1980........ :)

#35 KennyLee

KennyLee

Always A Bridesmaid

• Members
  • 2937 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:24 AM

View PostGeminiRising79, on 05 February 2014 - 07:20 PM, said:

Haven't yet. I like the idea. Problem now is while we're still trying to gain an audience we want to appeal to as many people as possible over the whole night. Focusing on just that earlier time period may turn some potential fans off at first. Just my thinking anyway.

#36 GeminiRising79

GeminiRising79

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2707 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:02 PM

View PostKennyLee, on 06 February 2014 - 10:24 AM, said:

Haven't yet. I like the idea. Problem now is while we're still trying to gain an audience we want to appeal to as many people as possible over the whole night. Focusing on just that earlier time period may turn some potential fans off at first. Just my thinking anyway.

View PostKennyLee, on 06 February 2014 - 10:24 AM, said:

I see ur point..

#37 Empty Mindless Spectre

Empty Mindless Spectre

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 753 posts
  • Interests:RUSH, Fishing, Hockey, Fantasy Football

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:48 PM

I live in Delaware and caught these guys for the first time Friday night and they were about as good as you could ever possibly expect a Rush cover band to be. The highlight of the evening for me was Natural Science, which they performed to near perfection. The guitar player absolutely NAILED the solo which is pretty amazing. I highly recommend that any Rush fanatic in the area make the effort to get out and see these guys. You will not be disappointed.

#38 KennyLee

KennyLee

Always A Bridesmaid

• Members
  • 2937 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:41 AM

View PostEmpty Mindless Spectre, on 03 March 2014 - 08:48 PM, said:

I live in Delaware and caught these guys for the first time Friday night and they were about as good as you could ever possibly expect a Rush cover band to be. The highlight of the evening for me was Natural Science, which they performed to near perfection. The guitar player absolutely NAILED the solo which is pretty amazing. I highly recommend that any Rush fanatic in the area make the effort to get out and see these guys. You will not be disappointed.

You are most kind, EMS.  :notworthy:

It is definitely a labor of love. Natural Science is my second favorite Rush song, only second to Hemispheres.

Thanks so much for coming out.

#39 Distant Signals

Distant Signals

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

Will have to check out a show in the near future.

#40 forcetenrushtribute

forcetenrushtribute

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:12 PM

I know how hard it is to cover. Check out my signature. ;)  Oh and by the way...yes, I have much respect for kRUSH. They are great! :D

Edited by forcetenrushtribute, 12 March 2014 - 07:14 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: WOW!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users