Cooking with beer

Janie

I'm not a beer drinker but I do have a few recipes that call for beer and am looking for some expertise on good beers to use when cooking. Plus, I want to add some recipes so hopefully we can use this thread for that!?

I want to do more beer battered food. I'm thinking you want to use a lighter beer for this? Suggestions? Preferences?

One of my favorite go-to meals is a pot roast that I throw in the oven with a beer/beef stock mixture. Here's the "recipe" and would love to hear beer suggestions (am I using good beer, is there another beer I should try...). Usually what I do after the roast is done is to remove the meat and reduce the liquid and then lightly drizzle some sauce over the meat when serving.

MY DRUNK POT ROAST

3 lb roast

oil (enough for browning roast)

salt (generous amount)

pepper (generous amount)

2 whole onions, halved OR 6 oz frozen pearl onions

1 cup beef stock

1 cup beer*

Preheat oven to 275 F.

Brown roast over medium-high heat in 6.5 qt Dutch oven. (If I'm using halved onions, I'll brown them first, remove them, then brown the roast. After the roast has been browned on both sides, I'll return the onions to the pot. Otherwise, I brown the roast and then just add the frozen pearl onions to the pot.)

Pour in liquid. (I pretty much use equal parts beef stock and beer - enough to go up half-way of the roast.)

Cover and place in oven for 3-4 hours until roast basically falls apart.

* The beer: Right now, I've only ever used two: Samuel Smith Old Brewery Tadcaster Taddy Porter and Elysian Dragonstooth Stout. I want something with a really strong, bold flavor where I can remove the roast, reduce the liquid and serve a little poured over the meat when plated. What else would be good to try?

Edited by Janie

Beer bread. Easy to make, and wonderful eaten right out of the oven on a cold day.

3 cups flour (sifted)

3 teaspoons baking powder (omit if using Self-Rising Flour)

1 teaspoon salt (omit if using Self-Rising Flour)

1/4 cup sugar

1 (12 ounce) can beer

1/2 cup melted butter (1/4 cup will do just fine)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Mix dry ingredients and beer.

Pour into a greased loaf pan.

Pour melted butter over mixture.

Bake 1 hour, remove from pan and cool for at least 15 minutes.

Read more: <a href="http://www.food.com/recipe/beer-bread-73440?oc=linkback">http://www.food.com/recipe/beer-bread-73440?oc=linkback</a>

• Like 1

Beer bread. Easy to make, and wonderful eaten right out of the oven on a cold day.

3 cups flour (sifted)

1/4 cup sugar

1 (12 ounce) can beer

Directions:

Read more: <a href="http://www.food.com/...oc=linkback</a>

Yes, but what kind of beer should one use?

3 cups flour (sifted)

1/4 cup sugar

1 (12 ounce) can beer

Directions:

Read more: <a href="http://www.food.com/...oc=linkback</a>

Yes, but what kind of beer should one use?

"The kind you drink!!"

I like to take a cup or two of beef broth and a can of Guinness and get it simmering in a sauce pot on the stove. Throw in some Worcestershire sauce to taste.

Throw in slices of really good pastrami and let them simmer for 2-3 minutes until they start to crinkle up.

Put the pastrami on some long hoagie rolls with slices of swiss cheese on top and bake them for 3-6 minutes or however long it takes for the cheese to melt and for the bread to toast up.

Slice the sandwiches up and serve with the beer/broth mix as a dipping sauce.

Quick and yummy.

• Like 2

I like to take a cup or two of beef broth and a can of Guinness and get it simmering in a sauce pot on the stove. Throw in some Worcestershire sauce to taste.

Throw in slices of really good pastrami and let them simmer for 2-3 minutes until they start to crinkle up.

Put the pastrami on some long hoagie rolls with slices of swiss cheese on top and bake them for 3-6 minutes or however long it takes for the cheese to melt and for the bread to toast up.

Slice the sandwiches up and serve with the beer/broth mix as a dipping sauce.

Quick and yummy.

This sounds so unbelievably good.

Use beer in place of stock or water in many dishes and see how much better things taste.

Use good beer. I drink cheap beer, but will buy better (darker) beer for cooking. Yes, I buy beer for this purpose.

I cook bratwurst, Italian sausage, and Polish sausage in beer. Boil the sausage for about 30-40 minutes in the beer, and then grill them for 10 minutes to brown. They come tasting amazing!

I cook bratwurst, Italian sausage, and Polish sausage in beer. Boil the sausage for about 30-40 minutes in the beer, and then grill them for 10 minutes to brown. They come tasting amazing!

Nothing like the WI way. The only way to make brats.
  • Like 1

Nothing like the WI way. The only way to make brats.

Yes, my kids love beer brats. It is the only way to cook them. I will have to try other sausages too. I simmer them for almost 2 hours before grilling them.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - hoppy and strong flavor. My wife won't drink it, but loves food cooked in it.

We have beer bread recipe that uses corn meal, I'll look it up when I get home. It comes out very, very dense kind of like a bavarian rye bread but the flavor is amazing.

I was watching American's Test Kitchen the other day and they made a great looking Guinness Beef Stew. Going to make it tonight. They do a few things differently (as always!). Will report back.

This turned out great and was really easy. The Guinness wasn't too overpowering. A simple, tasty stew.

Beer in tempura batter.

+1 for in the chili pot and the sausages.

Not much else, Drink the beer, cook more with wine and hard likker.

If I started a list of great beer cooking recipes, it would take the rest of the day and my post would be to long. Beer can take the place of any stock and can take the place of water in many dishes too.

I use beer in my kitchen like some use wine. I use way more beer than I do wine. Beer is much more forgiving than wine is.

I was watching American's Test Kitchen the other day and they made a great looking Guinness Beef Stew. Going to make it tonight. They do a few things differently (as always!). Will report back.

This turned out great and was really easy. The Guinness wasn't too overpowering. A simple, tasty stew.

I just saw this dish a few minutes ago. Right here. http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f51/lamb-and-guinness-stew-89123.html#post1348128

They are making it with lamb though. Not beef.

Beer in tempura batter.

If I started a list of great beer cooking recipes, it would take the rest of the day and my post would be to long. Beer can take the place of any stock and can take the place of water in many dishes too.

I use beer in my kitchen like some use wine. I use way more beer than I do wine. Beer is much more forgiving than wine is.

I just saw this dish a few minutes ago. Right here. http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f51/lamb-and-guinness-stew-89123.html#post1348128

This stew turned out amazing. It will definitely be my go to recipe. In the episode I watched, they went on and on about the best cut of beef to use but I think I would prefer lamb. Think I'll try it that way next time I make it. It's such a perfect cold-weather dish and it made the entire house smell so good!
  • Like 2

Beer in tempura batter.

This stew turned out amazing. It will definitely be my go to recipe. In the episode I watched, they went on and on about the best cut of beef to use but I think I would prefer lamb. Think I'll try it that way next time I make it. It's such a perfect cold-weather dish and it made the entire house smell so good!

Berr makes everything smell good.