treeduck

Drew Brees is the man about Manhattan for Super Bowl 2014

http://imgick.nola.com/home/nola-media/width620/img/saints_impact/photo/14183744-mmmain.jpg

Drew Brees, Super Bowl winning New Orleans Saints quarterback, New Orleans icon, husband, father and now, certainly, man about town in the Big Apple this week as the Denver Broncos gird to take on the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl 2014.

Brees certainly fills well the shoes of local NFL ambassador. The only sad takeaway from this is we're seeing so much of him this week because the New Orleans Saints aren't in the big game this Sunday.

He will make an appearance tonight on Comedy Central's Colbert Report. This comes after a whirlwind tour of the Late Show with David Letterman and giving Hoda Kotbe a pleasant surprise on the Today Show Wednesday morning. His appearance can be seen beginning at 7:10 of the clip embedded below. We provide that so you can skip through some of the babble, but Hoda's reaction when the mask is removed is pretty good.

Will Smith, Roman Harper could be dumped very soon by the Saints

Posted by Mike Florio on February 11, 2014, 8:37 PM EST

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/smith6.jpg?w=233

As the Saints try to deal with an aging defense and an untenable cap situation, several players who have been key components of the franchise’s recent success could soon be out the door.

Per a league source, linebacker Will Smith and safety Roman Harper could both be cut, as soon as Wednesday.

Smith has a cap number of $13.9 million, thanks in large part to a $10.4 million base salary. He tore an ACL in August and missed all of the 2013 season.

If healthy (and there’s no reason to think he won’t be), the 2004 first-round pick could still be an effective 4-3 defensive end — possibly joining the rotation for a team like the Seahawks, if Michael Bennett moves on.

Harper, a second-round pick in 2006, is due to earn a base salary of $2.35 million. He carries nearly $3.6 million in cap money for bonuses previously paid.

It’s also highly likely, we’re told, that linebacker Jonathan Vilma won’t return. The impending free agent appeared in only one game last year due to a lingering knee problem. He was acquired via trade from the Jets in 2008 after the team that drafted him in the first round switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense.

The Saints could end up making other cuts in order to re-sign tight end Jimmy Graham and otherwise manage a salary structure that devotes $18.4 million in cap space to Drew Brees this year — and $26.4 million next year.

The New Orleans Saints are set to shed some big salaries. They are going to start with one of their most respected veteran players.

Linebacker/defensive end Will Smith will be released, according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport, who cited a person with knowledge of the Saints' thinking. The news does not come as a surprise. The Saints kept Smith around at a bloated salary last year and they were going to ask him to change positions after a few down seasons. Smith tore his ACL in August.

It's a disappointing end to an incredible 10-year run with the team. Smith was the organization's best pass rusher and most consistent defensive lineman for nearly a decade. When you drove by the Superdome, Smith was one of the few players featured on large banners advertising the team.

Like so many Saints, Smith's best season came in 2009. He had 13 sacks and started all three postseason games during the team's Super Bowl run. He had a salary-cap number of $13.9 million in 2014, so this was a move the Saints had to make.

Smith's release might only be the start of changes in New Orleans. Rapoport reports that other big cuts are coming. Wide receiver Lance Moore and safety Roman Harper are two other names to watch.

Brian McIntyre‏@brian_mcintyre17m

The Saints signed LB Keyunta Dawson to 1-yr extension on Tuesday. A minimum salary benefit deal: $5k guaranteed, $575k cap number

Brian McIntyre reports that the New Orleans Saints re-signed DE/OLB Keyunta Dawson to one-year extension on Tuesday.

McIntyre adds that this is a “minimum salary benefit deal” that will guarantee him just $5,000.

According to McIntyre, Dawson will have a $575,000 cap figure next season.

Dawson, 28, appeared in eight games for the Saints in 2013 totaling three tackles, a half-sack, and one forced fumble. He played just 55 snaps for the Saints this past season, according to Pro Football Focus, but was decent at dropping into coverage.

It seems likely that Dawson will have to compete for a roster spot during training camp.

The New Orleans Saints are set to shed some big salaries. They are going to start with one of their most respected veteran players.

Linebacker/defensive end Will Smith will be released, according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport, who cited a person with knowledge of the Saints' thinking. The news does not come as a surprise. The Saints kept Smith around at a bloated salary last year and they were going to ask him to change positions after a few down seasons. Smith tore his ACL in August.

It's a disappointing end to an incredible 10-year run with the team. Smith was the organization's best pass rusher and most consistent defensive lineman for nearly a decade. When you drove by the Superdome, Smith was one of the few players featured on large banners advertising the team.

Like so many Saints, Smith's best season came in 2009. He had 13 sacks and started all three postseason games during the team's Super Bowl run. He had a salary-cap number of $13.9 million in 2014, so this was a move the Saints had to make.

Smith's release might only be the start of changes in New Orleans. Rapoport reports that other big cuts are coming. Wide receiver Lance Moore and safety Roman Harper are two other names to watch.

On the bright side, Smith is set to be the first guest on The Tonight Show with. Jimmy Fallon.

On the bright side, Smith is set to be the first guest on The Tonight Show with. Jimmy Fallon.

He's still upset about Uncle Phil's death...

Saints move on from Smith, Harper, Greer, Vilma

Posted by Mike Florio on February 12, 2014, 5:45 PM EST

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/350x-1033-e1354069427605.jpg?w=243

In many ways, an era has ended for the Saints.

Four key defensive players won’t be back with the team in 2014. The Saints have terminated the contracts of linebacker Will Smith, cormerback Jabari Greer, and safety Roman Harper. The team also announced that linebacker Jonathan Vilma (pictured) will not be re-signed.

Last night, we reported that the release of Smith and Harper could come as soon as Wednesday.

“I would like to thank Jabari, Roman, Will, and Jonathan for their contributions on and off the field for the New Orleans Saints over the past several years,” owner Tom Benson said in a team-issued release. “All four of them played important roles in the success of our club and were great players and teammates. In addition, all of them made a significant impact in our community, especially with our youth and helping serve the less fortunate. On behalf of our organization and our fans, we appreciate everything that they have done for us and wish them continued success.”

“These were not easy decisions to make,” G.M. Mickey Loomis said. “Since we acquired them, Jabari, Roman, Will and Jonathan have all been excellent players on the field for us. Each of them were integral parts in turning this program around and winning a Super Bowl. They were a great example to our players as team leaders in the locker room as well. Will and Roman were two of the better draft picks we have made. Jonathan Vilma has been one of our best trades ever and Jabari Greer has been one of our best free-agent signings. These are the kinds of players and people you hope to acquire. However, a new NFL year is about to begin and, with the start of free agency in March, these difficult moves allow us to position our team under the salary cap to move forward for 2014.”

“I have coached and been around a lot of great players and I put these four guys right there at the top,” coach Sean Payton said. “Jabari, Roman, Will and Jonathan all represent and epitomize what we look for in our players. These are disciplined, smart, tough and team-oriented individuals. They all played an important role in helping this team and this city win its first Super Bowl and they have all enjoyed multiple playoff appearances and wins.”

Cutting Smith clears his $10.4 million salary off the books. Greer would have earned a base salary of $4 million in 2014; his release will result in a $2.65 million cap charge. Harper was due to earn $2.35 million. He counts for more than $3.5 million in dead money.

All three will become free agents as soon as their terminations are reported to the league. Vilma, whose contract is expiring, won’t be eligible to sign with a new team until March 11.

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/350x-1033-e1354069427605.jpg?w=243

Four key defensive players won’t be back with the team in 2014. The Saints have terminated the contracts of linebacker Will Smith, cormerback Jabari Greer, and safety Roman Harper. The team also announced that linebacker Jonathan Vilma (pictured) will not be re-signed.

Last night, we reported that the release of Smith and Harper could come as soon as Wednesday.

“I would like to thank Jabari, Roman, Will, and Jonathan for their contributions on and off the field for the New Orleans Saints over the past several years,” owner Tom Benson said in a team-issued release. “All four of them played important roles in the success of our club and were great players and teammates. In addition, all of them made a significant impact in our community, especially with our youth and helping serve the less fortunate. On behalf of our organization and our fans, we appreciate everything that they have done for us and wish them continued success.”

“These were not easy decisions to make,” G.M. Mickey Loomis said. “Since we acquired them, Jabari, Roman, Will and Jonathan have all been excellent players on the field for us. Each of them were integral parts in turning this program around and winning a Super Bowl. They were a great example to our players as team leaders in the locker room as well. Will and Roman were two of the better draft picks we have made. Jonathan Vilma has been one of our best trades ever and Jabari Greer has been one of our best free-agent signings. These are the kinds of players and people you hope to acquire. However, a new NFL year is about to begin and, with the start of free agency in March, these difficult moves allow us to position our team under the salary cap to move forward for 2014.”

“I have coached and been around a lot of great players and I put these four guys right there at the top,” coach Sean Payton said. “Jabari, Roman, Will and Jonathan all represent and epitomize what we look for in our players. These are disciplined, smart, tough and team-oriented individuals. They all played an important role in helping this team and this city win its first Super Bowl and they have all enjoyed multiple playoff appearances and wins.”

Cutting Smith clears his $10.4 million salary off the books. Greer would have earned a base salary of $4 million in 2014; his release will result in a $2.65 million cap charge. Harper was due to earn $2.35 million. He counts for more than $3.5 million in dead money.

All three will become free agents as soon as their terminations are reported to the league. Vilma, whose contract is expiring, won’t be eligible to sign with a new team until March 11.

So...who's the blonde in your avatar? Saints cheerleader?

Edited by laughedatbytime

So...who's the blonde in your avatar? Saints cheerleader?

Yeah.

Jabari Greer reflects on his legacy as Saints release him

http://media.wwltv.com/images/470*264/No-9-Jabari-Greer+2013.jpg

NEW ORLEANS — When Jabari Greer got the news that the Saints were going to release him, he began reflecting on things that elder statesmen in the NFL begin to do when the end is nearing.

What would he tell people feeling badly for him?

What would he tell people who wondered if he was going to be OK?

And what would his legacy be?

Then, as he walked down the street to Whole Foods with his son Jeshian, singing a song they made up that went “Poppity pop pop popcorn, poppity pop popcorn,” he suddenly had no more questions.

“An hour or two after I got what was supposed to be some of the most devastating news of a player’s career, I’m walking and I’m having the time of my life with my son,” Greer said Wednesday night. “I realized at that moment, that no matter what happened, that’s going to be my legacy.

“The legacy is going to live on through the development of my family. Their futures and their character are going to tell the story.”

Greer, 32, was one of three players released by the Saints on Wednesday. Will Smith and Roman Harper were the other two. Additionally, they announced they wouldn’t re-sign Jonathan Vilma.

All four played a critical role in New Orleans’ rise to prominence since 2006. Smith and Harper were with the team during the ’06 Back from Katrina season. Vilma landed with the team two years later in a trade. And Greer came in 2009, one of the final pieces that put New Orleans over the top on its way to a win in Super Bowl XLIV.

But just four years later, their salary cap numbers rose too high for the team to keep up with; prior to Wednesday’s moves, the Saints were reported to be anywhere between $12-15 million over the cap.

That’s one of the reasons Greer was released, he said. Not his knee injury.

“I understand the nature of the business,” he said. “It could happen to anyone. Was I expecting it? No. Is it surprising? No.”

“There wasn’t a particular indication,” Greer added. “It’s just the business aspect of the game. They have a certain salary cap number they had to get under and some tough decisions to be made.”

So, what’s next for Greer?

He’ll continue to rehabilitate the left knee that suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament on Nov. 17 in New Orleans’ win over San Francisco.

He’ll also focus on his family, including his wife Katrina.

“I’m just going to pour my spirit out, pour my love out on my family,” Greer said. “I foresee that going really well.”

For now, he’ll stay in New Orleans unless he finds work elsewhere.

No matter what, though, he’ll always have a connection with New Orleans.

“We foresee being here unless we’re called somewhere else,” Greer said. “For the time, this is our home and we love it. We want to be here no matter if I play football or not.”

Cornerback Trevin Wade inks one-year deal to remain with New Orleans Saints

http://imgick.nola.com/home/nola-media/width620/img/tpphotos/photo/2014/01/14077132-mmmain.jpg

The New Orleans Saints continued to make moves this week as cornerback Trevin Wade inked a one-year deal to remain with the team earlier this week. Wade signed an exclusive rights free-agent deal worth $570,000, according to the NFLPA website.

Wade originally signed with the Saints on Nov. 19 last season to replace cornerback Jabari Greer on the roster as Greer landed on injured reserve with a knee injury.

Wade, 24, played in two regular season and two postseason games for New Orleans in 2013 as a reserve defensive back and a special teams player. He tallied three total tackles and one pass defense in the four games.

Saints use non-exclusive franchise tag on Graham.

Would you rather have Graham or two #1s? Or does it matter where the #1s would be?

Would you rather have Graham or two #1s? Or does it matter where the #1s would be?

Well the Madden/draft geek part of me would love a trade for 2 first round draft picks, but the draft is a crapshoot and we could lose Graham and end up stuck with two big fat busts. We know Jimmy is good and he will continue to be good barring an injury, we don't know what these rookies have really got. If it were the Browns or the Raiders then it might be worth not matching what they offer and letting JG go, because then we'd have the 4th or 5th pick overall this year and very probably a high first round pick next year (we couldn't have the first rounder traded from the Colts because traded picks can't be used in a tag deal per the CBA).

I doubt anyone would give up two 1sts for a tight end and pay him $12 million though, even the Raiders or the Browns.

Well the Madden/draft geek part of me would love a trade for 2 first round draft picks, but the draft is a crapshoot and we could lose Graham and end up stuck with two big fat busts. We know Jimmy is good and he will continue to be good barring an injury, we don't know what these rookies have really got. If it were the Browns or the Raiders then it might be worth not matching what they offer and letting JG go, because then we'd have the 4th or 5th pick overall this year and very probably a high first round pick next year (we couldn't have the first rounder traded from the Colts because traded picks can't be used in a tag deal per the CBA).

I doubt anyone would give up two 1sts for a tight end and pay him $12 million though, even the Raiders or the Browns.

I agree. You'd probably end up with something like the 20th pick for two years. I'd rather have Graham. Here are some facts about the 20th pick.

The Bears have only picked one player at twenty in the first round of the NFL Draft. That was defensive end Dave Gallagher in 1974. Gallagher was a four year starter in the NFL, but only played with Chicago for one season.

Only seven out of the forty-six players picked 20th overall have made multiple Pro Bowl appearances.

Only three of those players were selected as first-team All-Pros in more than one season (Jack Youngblood, Mike Quick, and Steve Atwater).

Youngblood, a defensive end selected 20th in 1971 by the Los Angeles Rams, is the only 20th pick in the NFL Hall of Fame.

Out of the forty-six players selected 20th overall, five were primary starters in the NFL for ten or more seasons (Youngblood, Will Wolford, Atwater, Mark May, and Tim Bowens).

Excluding current players picked at twenty, ten players were primary starters in the NFL for one or less seasons.

ESPN College Football analyst Mark May was a 20th overall pick for the Washington Redskins in 1981. He is the only college guard selected at twenty.

Other notable 20th overall selections include cornerback/safety Dale Carter and wide receiver Haywood Jeffries.

Also a 20th overall pick: maligned former Lovie Smith trade acquisition Adam Archuleta.

Only three of the past ten 20th overall picks were offensive players (Kendall Wright, Brandon Pettigrew, and George Foster).

Only two of the past seventeen 20th overall picks made a Pro Bowl (Javon Walker and Tamba Hali).

The most drafted position at twenty? Defensive End, with eight selections.

The second most drafted positions? A tie between defensive tackle and wide receivers at seven apiece.

Only three linebackers have been taken at twenty (Hali, Dwayne Rudd, and Michael Taylor).

A quarterback has never been taken with the 20th overall pick.

The worst players picked 20th overall? Michael Taylor and Ken Novak. Each played for only two seasons, accumulating a total of zero starts.

20th overall pick with the most career starts? Former Buffalo Bills lineman Will Wolford, who started each of the 191 games he appeared in.

In 2009, the Detroit Lions selected Brandon Pettigrew, a tight end, at twenty. They acquired the pick from the Dallas Cowboys (along with the Cowboys 3rd and 6th

round picks) for Roy Williams. Yup, this one.

The Cowboys acquired the 2005 20th overall pick from the Bills (along with Buffalo's 2004 2nd and 5th round picks) for the Cowboys 2004 first round pick (22nd overall). The Cowboys took Marcus Spears in 2005. The Bills took J.P. Losman in 2004.

The last time the 20th overall pick was traded for draft picks in the same draft? 2004, with the Vikings trading down from #19 with the Miami Dolphins (who gave up #20 and #119 overall). The Vikings selected Kenechi Udeze with the 20th overall pick that year.

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2013/4/19/4243048/20-facts-about-the-20th-pick-in-the-nfl-draft

Yep, I'd rather have the rest of Graham's career than two of the mid to low first round picks.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

I agree. You'd probably end up with something like the 20th pick for two years. I'd rather have Graham. Here are some facts about the 20th pick.

The Bears have only picked one player at twenty in the first round of the NFL Draft. That was defensive end Dave Gallagher in 1974. Gallagher was a four year starter in the NFL, but only played with Chicago for one season.

Only seven out of the forty-six players picked 20th overall have made multiple Pro Bowl appearances.

Only three of those players were selected as first-team All-Pros in more than one season (Jack Youngblood, Mike Quick, and Steve Atwater).

Youngblood, a defensive end selected 20th in 1971 by the Los Angeles Rams, is the only 20th pick in the NFL Hall of Fame.

Out of the forty-six players selected 20th overall, five were primary starters in the NFL for ten or more seasons (Youngblood, Will Wolford, Atwater, Mark May, and Tim Bowens).

Excluding current players picked at twenty, ten players were primary starters in the NFL for one or less seasons.

ESPN College Football analyst Mark May was a 20th overall pick for the Washington Redskins in 1981. He is the only college guard selected at twenty.

Other notable 20th overall selections include cornerback/safety Dale Carter and wide receiver Haywood Jeffries.

Also a 20th overall pick: maligned former Lovie Smith trade acquisition Adam Archuleta.

Only three of the past ten 20th overall picks were offensive players (Kendall Wright, Brandon Pettigrew, and George Foster).

Only two of the past seventeen 20th overall picks made a Pro Bowl (Javon Walker and Tamba Hali).

The most drafted position at twenty? Defensive End, with eight selections.

The second most drafted positions? A tie between defensive tackle and wide receivers at seven apiece.

Only three linebackers have been taken at twenty (Hali, Dwayne Rudd, and Michael Taylor).

A quarterback has never been taken with the 20th overall pick.

The worst players picked 20th overall? Michael Taylor and Ken Novak. Each played for only two seasons, accumulating a total of zero starts.

20th overall pick with the most career starts? Former Buffalo Bills lineman Will Wolford, who started each of the 191 games he appeared in.

In 2009, the Detroit Lions selected Brandon Pettigrew, a tight end, at twenty. They acquired the pick from the Dallas Cowboys (along with the Cowboys 3rd and 6th

round picks) for Roy Williams. Yup, this one.

The Cowboys acquired the 2005 20th overall pick from the Bills (along with Buffalo's 2004 2nd and 5th round picks) for the Cowboys 2004 first round pick (22nd overall). The Cowboys took Marcus Spears in 2005. The Bills took J.P. Losman in 2004.

The last time the 20th overall pick was traded for draft picks in the same draft? 2004, with the Vikings trading down from #19 with the Miami Dolphins (who gave up #20 and #119 overall). The Vikings selected Kenechi Udeze with the 20th overall pick that year.

http://www.windycity...n-the-nfl-draft

Yep, I'd rather have the rest of Graham's career than two of the mid to low first round picks.

Yeah I agree and most likely the Saints will sign him long term before July 15.

:goodone:

Saints' Jimmy Graham designated as tight end, not wide receiver, for franchise tag purposes

http://imgick.gulflive.com/home/gulf-media/width620/img/mississippi-press-sports/photo/13425637-mmmain.jpg

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana -- The NFL has formally designated New Orleans' Jimmy Graham as a tight end for the purposes of his franchise tag value, which is now set at $7.05 million next season unless Graham and the Saints subsequently agree on a long-term deal.

The designation was released Monday after the deadline passed for NFL teams to use franchise or transition tags on players becoming free agents.

Because Graham often split out from the offensive line as a receiver would, there have been questions concerning whether the NFL's collective bargaining agreement calls for Graham to have a receiver's tag, worth $12.1 million. Graham still could file a grievance, leaving an arbitrator to decide which tag is appropriate.

As a non-exclusive franchise player, Graham is free to negotiate an offer sheet with another NFL team. The Saints could either match that deal or accept two first-round draft picks as compensation.

Similarly, the Saints used their franchise tag on quarterback Drew Brees in March 2012, then needed a little more than four months to work out the five-year, $100 million deal Brees signed shortly before training camp.

Like Brees, Graham is represented by Creative Artists Agency. They do not have the same agent. Graham is represented by Jimmy Sexton and Brees by Tom Condon.

Graham has said publicly during the Pro Bowl in February that it would be "unfortunate," if the team used the franchise tag on him, but on Friday he reacted to the move with subtle humor.

Afterward, Graham wrote on his Twitter account, "Confirming it's officially Franchisefriday... TAG ... I guess I'm it."

Graham, a former college basketball who played one year of football at Miami, was drafted by the Saints in 2010. Last season, he led the Saints in catches with 86, yards with 1,215 and touchdowns with 16.

He has led the Saints in catches in each of the past three seasons, while leading the club in yards receiving and touchdowns in two of the last three seasons. During the past three regular seasons combined, he has 270 catches for 3,507 yards and 36 touchdowns.

Saints' Jimmy Graham designated as tight end, not wide receiver, for franchise tag purposes

http://imgick.gulflive.com/home/gulf-media/width620/img/mississippi-press-sports/photo/13425637-mmmain.jpg

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana -- The NFL has formally designated New Orleans' Jimmy Graham as a tight end for the purposes of his franchise tag value, which is now set at $7.05 million next season unless Graham and the Saints subsequently agree on a long-term deal.

The designation was released Monday after the deadline passed for NFL teams to use franchise or transition tags on players becoming free agents.

Because Graham often split out from the offensive line as a receiver would, there have been questions concerning whether the NFL's collective bargaining agreement calls for Graham to have a receiver's tag, worth $12.1 million. Graham still could file a grievance, leaving an arbitrator to decide which tag is appropriate.

As a non-exclusive franchise player, Graham is free to negotiate an offer sheet with another NFL team. The Saints could either match that deal or accept two first-round draft picks as compensation.

Similarly, the Saints used their franchise tag on quarterback Drew Brees in March 2012, then needed a little more than four months to work out the five-year, $100 million deal Brees signed shortly before training camp.

Like Brees, Graham is represented by Creative Artists Agency. They do not have the same agent. Graham is represented by Jimmy Sexton and Brees by Tom Condon.

Graham has said publicly during the Pro Bowl in February that it would be "unfortunate," if the team used the franchise tag on him, but on Friday he reacted to the move with subtle humor.

Afterward, Graham wrote on his Twitter account, "Confirming it's officially Franchisefriday... TAG ... I guess I'm it."

Graham, a former college basketball who played one year of football at Miami, was drafted by the Saints in 2010. Last season, he led the Saints in catches with 86, yards with 1,215 and touchdowns with 16.

He has led the Saints in catches in each of the past three seasons, while leading the club in yards receiving and touchdowns in two of the last three seasons. During the past three regular seasons combined, he has 270 catches for 3,507 yards and 36 touchdowns.

Is this makeup for BountyGate?

Is this makeup for BountyGate?

Well it's not over yet, Graham via his agent will now file a grievance with the league claiming that he's really a wide receiver and some arbitrator will make a ruling at some point...

Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefter2 mins

Saints shopping RB Pierre Thomas and WR Lance Moore to other teams, per sources, and even could be open to trading RB Darren Sproles also.

Report: Saints “shopping” Pierre Thomas, Lance Moore, could be open to Sproles trade

Posted by Josh Alper on March 6, 2014, 4:20 PM EST

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/pierre-thomas.jpg?w=250

New Orleans Saints running back Thomas looks at Dallas Cowboys linebacker Connor as he carries ball in first half of their NFL football game in Arlington

Reuters

The Saints said goodbye to some longtime defensive players early in the offseason and there could be similar changes coming on the other side of the ball.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Saints are “shopping” running back Pierre Thomas and wide receiver Lance Moore to other teams. Thomas played a prominent role in the New Orleans once again last season, running for 549 yards and catching 77 passes while getting the most work of any tailback on the team.

Trading him would clear $2.9 million from the cap while moving Moore would open up another $2.5 million. It would leave the same amount of dead money on the cap and his trade value may not be great coming off a year that saw him get hurt and lose playing time to other wideouts.

Schefter also reports that the team “could be open” to trading running back Darren Sproles as well, although it’s not clear if that’s something they’re actively considering. Sproles is set to make $3.5 million in 2014 and it’s not clear how the trade talk around one back would wind up impacting the other one.

Edited by treeduck

Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefter2 mins

Saints shopping RB Pierre Thomas and WR Lance Moore to other teams, per sources, and even could be open to trading RB Darren Sproles also.

Report: Saints “shopping” Pierre Thomas, Lance Moore, could be open to Sproles trade

Posted by Josh Alper on March 6, 2014, 4:20 PM EST

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/pierre-thomas.jpg?w=250

New Orleans Saints running back Thomas looks at Dallas Cowboys linebacker Connor as he carries ball in first half of their NFL football game in Arlington

Reuters

The Saints said goodbye to some longtime defensive players early in the offseason and there could be similar changes coming on the other side of the ball.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Saints are “shopping” running back Pierre Thomas and wide receiver Lance Moore to other teams. Thomas played a prominent role in the New Orleans once again last season, running for 549 yards and catching 77 passes while getting the most work of any tailback on the team.

Trading him would clear $2.9 million from the cap while moving Moore would open up another $2.5 million. It would leave the same amount of dead money on the cap and his trade value may not be great coming off a year that saw him get hurt and lose playing time to other wideouts.

Schefter also reports that the team “could be open” to trading running back Darren Sproles as well, although it’s not clear if that’s something they’re actively considering. Sproles is set to make $3.5 million in 2014 and it’s not clear how the trade talk around one back would wind up impacting the other one.

So is Graham going to go to Seattle?