treeduck

Taking a Look at the 7 Who Might

By Mike Detillier

Last season the New Orleans Saints had 7 undrafted free agents make their 53-man roster. If the same happens in 2014 I would take an early hard look at these seven players.

Brandon Coleman, Wide Receiver, Rutgers

At 6-5 ½, 225 you can clearly see why this pick is so intriguing. Coleman was my 22nd best rated WR. in the 2014 draft class and with so many teams looking for mismatches downfield against a bigger skillset of cornerbacks I am surprised, like Marques Colston was, Coleman was not selected late in the draft process.

I scouted Coleman for a college team when he came out of Bishop McNamara High School in Maryland. He played both wide receiver and safety in high school and he was also a standout basketball performer.

I always like the fact that a receiver has some basketball background and that is because he catches the ball with his hands and not up against his body.

Coleman is a big body end with strong hands and his greatest asset is his ability to block out defenders with his size. He knows how to use that big body well to get himself between the ball and the defender.

In 2012 he caught 43 passes for 718 yards and 10 scores. In 2013 he caught 34 passes for 538 yards and 4 scores.

At Rutgers he caught 94 passes and averaged 21.6 yards per catch.

Impressive and what I saw on tape was the ability to get into and out of a route sharply. This, along with his size, is key for an offense like the Saints. This is what has made Marques Colston a top end in the NFL.

While he has an impressive array of talents due to his size, strong hands, big body and sharp cut skills, what Coleman needs to do better is get off of “press” coverage sets in a quicker fashion. Big body WR’s learn how to use their arms and hands well to shed off the hand-checking and grabbing that goes on and get separation downfield.

The referees will not call holding on every play and as a receiver you have to learn how to use your arms and hands like a MMA boxer and get some release to give your QB a chance to get you the football.

At 6-5 ½, Coleman is certainly not one-step fast like Brandin Cooks and it is more build up speed, but the real cut for him to play in the league will be his ability to get off of “press” coverage sets.

That 6-5 ½ frame is vital for a team like New Orleans that is aggressive and wants the touchdown and not settle for the field goal in the red-zone. Having a player like Colston on the team that Coleman can learn from is a key for him to making the 53-man roster or being a developmental squad player.

Kasim Edebali, Outside Linebacker, Boston College

Kasim was born in Germany and was part of the Kimball Union Academy USA Football International Student Program.

While he was new to the game the first thing in watching him play was that Kasim had very good football instincts and he was aggressive going to the football.

The 6-2,2 55 pound Edebali played both defensive end and outside linebacker at BC and in 2012 he totaled 59 tackles, 7 ½ tackles for losses and 4 pass deflections.

In 2013 Kasim was in on 67 tackles, 15 tackles for losses, 9 ½ QB. sacks and 5 deflections.

The more he played the better he got and he is a terrific athlete.

What jumps out about Edebali is that he is such a good athlete, quick on his feet and he has 1st rate skills closing in to the ballcarrier. He does an excellent job in pursuit and he has the ability to work around the heavy traffic out on the field.

As a pass rusher he developed a very quick jump off the snap and he does a fine job in reverse also when put in coverage situations.

Kasim played quarterback and tight end as a youth and so he is still learning the finer point of playing defense and learning how to protect his lower-body from blocks.

He plays the game too high and doesn’t protect the lower part of his body well and he has a tendency to want to make a play so quickly that he will pull himself out of position to try and make the tackle or the big play behind the line of scrimmage.

In many ways he is built along the lines of Junior Galette and has some of the same football traits Junior has. Even when blocked Edebali doesn’t stay on the ground long and he is up to try and make a play.

He is a bit of a tweener-type player for the NFL, but that is the type defender Rob Ryan likes in his defense. Kasim also will need some work in the weightroom to maximize his strength, but the young man is a good football prospect.

Kasim is still a little bit of a work in progress and he will need some fine-tuning to his overall game, but I am convinced he can help out quickly on special teams due to his aggressive nature and his foot speed.

Despite the logjam at linebacker keep a close eye on Edebali in training camp.

George Uko, Defensive Tackle, USC

I have to admit I was surprised that Uko gave up his senior season at USC to declare early for the 2014 NFL draft.

Uko is a good prospect, but he really needed another year of seasoning and physical growth at the college level.

George was one of the most highly touted defensive linemen on the West Coast when he came out of Don Lugo High School in California. He racked up 91 tackles and 15 QB sacks as a prep senior.

Uko never lived up to those lofty press clippings at USC, but he looked as though he was on the verge of developing his overall skillset at the end of his junior season.

Uko is a classic tweener DE/DT and he has played both. At 6-2 ¾, 275 Uko lacks the great bulk strength you are looking for in a DT and the classic length you are looking for in a defensive end.

Athletically he is a lot like former Illinois and current Saints DL Glenn Foster.

Uko has excellent foot speed and explosive traits off the snap. He has a big wingspan and long arms to fight off blockers and get good inside penetration. He racked up 16 tackles for losses and 10 QB. sacks the last 2 seasons for the Trojans and he also blocked 2 kicks on special teams.

George is a very flexible athlete who plays with high energy on pursuit plays and has a smooth change of direction ability.

Uko is light for a defensive tackle. He lacks great bulk strength to take on and defeat the blocks when running plays are directed at him if he can’t beat them with that quick initial move. He must develop better overall strength and be a better leverage player at the point of attack, but he excels at putting “heat” from the inside.

He was well coached in college under Ed Orgeron at USC and I know there is no slacking off on plays for him.

I really like Uko and immediately you will see an athlete that is a bit undersized, but he is tough, quick, and a good interior pass rusher.

Still developing his overall skillset as a DL, but I love his athleticism and his pass rush skills from the inside.

I had Uko rated as my 13th best defensive tackle available for the 2014 NFL draft.

Matt Armstrong, Offensive Center, Grand Valley State

It’s the second straight year the Saints have pulled out an offensive lineman from Grand Valley State. Last year they made a good pick-up with offensive center/guard Tim Lelito and this year Armstrong.

Armstrong was my 7th ranked center in the draft class of 2014.

Matt was a four-year starter who started at tackle, guard and center for GVS.

He was also a terrific track athlete throwing the shot-put.

Matt is a well-built, built low to the ground player, who has good leverage skills and he gets off the snap quickly. What I like about Armstrong is that he plays the game on his feet and is not off balance much. He excels as a run blocker and he gets a strong initial push with his drive blocks.

Armstrong needs some work as a technician as a pass blocker and some technical skills in hand-usage, but he is tough, smart and he finishes off his blocks.

I see Armstrong as a developmental type player, but I really like him as a player and he has a chance to play at the NFL level in time.

Nic Jacobs, Tight End, McNeese State

I saw a lot of Jacobs when he came out of Many High School in Louisiana. He was the top-rated tight end in the state and one of the best in nation before he signed on with LSU.

The 6-4 ¾, 268 pound Jacobs was basically a third blocking tackle at LSU and he was suspended for the final 4 games of the 2012 season after breaking team rules.

Jacobs made quite an impact in the receiving part of the game in 2013 for McNeese.

He caught 32 passes for 453 yards and 4 TD’s in 2013 and he decided to give up his senior season with the Cowboys.

Jacobs is a huge man with great bulk strength and mass and he is a very good inline blocker. He gets a strong initial surge with his blocks and he is a “power” player at the point of attack.

Where he needs to get better, and I thought he really turned up the dial in 2013, is getting into and out of his routes quicker and he caught the ball with great confidence.

He catches the ball with his hands and he does a very good job shielding the defender from the football with his great size. While Nic is no speedster, he is a difficult tackle for defenders with the ball downfield. He also must stick out on special teams.

If he is motivated and focused there is no doubt he can play at the NFL and Jacobs must understand this is the big leagues. If he puts what he has into his football game Jacobs can play and be an effective NFL performer, but it is all up to him.

Ty Zimmerman, Free Safety, Kansas State

Ty was a four-year starter for KSU. Like Vinnie Sunseri, Ty comes from a football family. He played for his dad Randall at Junction City High School in Kansas.

Ty was a former quarterback/defensive back in high school before going to Kansas State.

I like a defensive back who has played quarterback in high school. It is something about having played that position that instinctively gives you some insights on what is happening offensively and where the QB will go with the football.

At 6-1, 205, Ty has good size for the free safety spot and he will be a good addition on special teams.

While Zimmerman is no speed burner, it is his instincts, his ability to put himself in the right spot to make a play, and he is tough.

He has recorded 74, 58, 50 and 74 tackles in his four seasons with the Wildcats.

Zimmerman has also picked off 13 passes during his college career.

When you watch KSU play you can’t help but notice how many defensive plays Zimmerman is involved with. He is a magnet for the ball and he comes up the seam fast to make a play in run defense.

The make-or-break for Ty will be in the coverage part of the game. He lacks elite catch-up speed and he needs to play the ball smart to make a play. He normally does and he is a good all-around free safety, but he needs to read and recognize the pass coverage part of the game better to play at the NFL and be a better centerfielder judging the ball and the receiver on the middle and deeper routes.

There is no questioning his football intelligence, toughness, run defense skills, his aggressive nature and his ability to be a coach out on the field.

But his special team exploits and upgrading his pass coverage skills will be key for Zimmerman to play in the NFL.

The guy just makes plays and he does a super job communicating to others on what is breaking down out on the field.

Ty was my 12th rated free safety for the 2014 NFL draft.

Timmy Flanders, Halfback, Sam Houston State

The resume says it all. Pierre Thomas, Chris Ivory, Travaris Cadet and Khiry Robinson. All came into the NFL via the New Orleans Saints as undrafted free agents.

Now, it’s Timmy Flanders turn to make it 5.

Tim signed on originally with Oklahoma State before leaving and making his mark at Sam Houston State.

Flanders was not just a good player for Sam Houston State, but a signature performer. In high school at Midwest City High School in Oklahoma he rushed for over 5,000 yards and scored 65 touchdowns.

Flanders rushed for 5,664 yards and scored 70 touchdowns for the Sam Houston Bearkats and he was also a good receiver coming out of the backfield.

He caught 64 passes for the Bearkats during his college career.

Flanders at 5-9, 212 is not a “power” back and he is no track sprinter, but he is field fast, shifty, tough to knock off his running pegs and he has superb field vision.

I did 2 Sam Houston State games for TV and in those contests it was obvious that he had really good start and stop skills as a runner and he had unique traits in making people miss in space. And he was a ‘load” back that when they needed to run the ball the pigskin was in his hands.

While he is short Flanders has a stout build and he has been a heavy-duty back at the college level. He will not be asked to do this in the NFL, but he has the skills to be a good role player as a 3rd down receiver, an edge runner and when called upon he runs hard between the tackles.

Timmy will need some work on physically getting stronger and becoming a better pass protector, but he has the running skills and shiftiness to make an NFL team.

One thing that would help would be for him to play on special teams as a return man on punts and kickoffs. He has no experience at the college level in those categories.

He has some size limitations, but in Sean Payton’s role offense for a halfback Flanders could well be #5.

Edited by treeduck

Saints sign three draft picks

Posted by Josh Alper on May 16, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptnizdayzgmxnje4zwywmdm4nzy0owmznwvlmtq1nzqz-e1400270501851.jpeg?w=230

The Saints opened rookie minicamp on Friday and took care of some off-field business as well.

The team announced that they have agreed to four-year contracts with three members of this year’s draft class. Fifth-round safety Vinnie Sunseri, fifth-round linebacker Ronald Powell and sixth-round tackle Tavon Rooks have put pen to paper on the deals, leaving the Saints with three more picks to sign.

Sunseri declared for the draft despite tearing his ACL during the 2013 season at Alabama and healed enough to run well at the school’s pro day. Sunseri could challenge for time on defense, although he was also an excellent special teams player in college and should be an immediate contributor there for New Orleans. Powell was a highly touted recruit when he arrived at Florida, but tore the same ACL twice during his time in Gainesville. He could earn time as a pass rusher on Rob Ryan’s defense with a strong camp.

Rooks played right tackle at Kansas State and some time on the practice squad may come before he gets a shot in a meaningful game at the NFL level.

Here's some good analysis of the SAINTS 1st and 2nd round picks:

They ain't close to being as good as the Packers' first two picks..... :nya nya: :nya nya: ;)

Hey PM! :hi: :hi: :hi: :madra:

Is it Week 8 yet...?? :o

Here's some good analysis of the SAINTS 1st and 2nd round picks:

They ain't close to being as good as the Packers' first two picks..... :nya nya: :nya nya: ;)

Hey PM! :hi: :hi: :hi: :madra:

Is it Week 8 yet...?? :o

No it's the bye week...for everybody... :smoke:

Ha, ha...beat ya, Ducky!

The New Orleans Saints announced Saturday that they have signed former Tulane University safety Devon Walker.

A four-year letterman at Tulane, Walker played for the Green Wave from 2009-12. He joined the team as a walk-on in 2009 and had moved into the starting lineup and was named a team captain as a senior in 2012. Opening the second game of his senior campaign on Sept. 8 at Tulsa, Walker suffered a career-ending spinal injury when he collided with a teammate while attempting to make a tackle just seconds before halftime. Walker injured his C3 and C4 vertebrae, which left him paralyzed from the neck down and spent over three months in the hospital before returning home in December 2012.

Despite the adversity and extensive rehabilitation that Walker has faced, he has embraced all of these challenges directly and has been an inspiration to others. In the fall of 2013, Walker returned to Tulane’s Uptown campus and to the classroom to continue his studies in cell and molecular biology. He participated in graduation ceremonies prior to signing with the Saints on Saturday.

Walker also returned to the football field sideline as a constant supporter of his teammates in 2013 as Tulane enjoyed their finest season in more than a decade and played in the New Orleans Bowl. While taking part in rehabilitation three days a week and completing his studies, Walker spent extensive time with the team, attending meetings, practices and all Tulane football games at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, giving a pregame speech to the team prior to each home game.

Walker has been recognized nationally for his inspirational attitude. In 2013, he received the Disney Spirit Award, an honor given annually by Disney Sports to college football’s most inspirational figure. He was honored by the New Orleans Fellowship Foundation and the organization renamed one of their annual awards the “Devon Walker Courage Award.” He also was named the 2012 Brandon Burlsworth Courage Award winner and earned a spot on the Burlsworth Trophy watchlist, which recognizes former walk-ons who provide solid contributions to their team.

“When Devon got hurt, his football career was just starting to take off after three years of hard work,” Saints Coach Sean Payton said. “Despite the devastating injury he suffered, Devon refuses to let that define him. He is an outstanding young man, who is not only an inspiration to his coaches and teammates at Tulane, but to all of us. Devon’s character, determination, intelligence and work ethic are everything that we look for in a New Orleans Saint when we sign a player. This is the least we can do to recognize Devon and these attributes that we want all of our players to have.”

“I would like to congratulate Devon on his graduation and for all his accomplishments,” Tulane Coach Curtis Johnson said. “I am very proud of him and I am very happy for his family. This is a first-class move by a first-class organization. The Saints have been very supportive of Devon and I would like to thank Mr. (Tom) Benson, Mickey Loomis and Sean Payton for allowing Devon to be a part of an NFL team. I believe it once again demonstrates the organization’s commitment to the New Orleans community and to one of its own.”

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news-and-events/article-1/New-Orleans-Saints-sign-Devon-Walker/265b8618-1105-46b1-9b15-b9534c5c78b8?campaign=no%3Afanshare%3Afacebook

Too bad the Saints don't still have Roman Harper...Walker could move ahead of him on the depth chart.

Ha, ha...beat ya, Ducky!

The New Orleans Saints announced Saturday that they have signed former Tulane University safety Devon Walker.

A four-year letterman at Tulane, Walker played for the Green Wave from 2009-12. He joined the team as a walk-on in 2009 and had moved into the starting lineup and was named a team captain as a senior in 2012. Opening the second game of his senior campaign on Sept. 8 at Tulsa, Walker suffered a career-ending spinal injury when he collided with a teammate while attempting to make a tackle just seconds before halftime. Walker injured his C3 and C4 vertebrae, which left him paralyzed from the neck down and spent over three months in the hospital before returning home in December 2012.

Despite the adversity and extensive rehabilitation that Walker has faced, he has embraced all of these challenges directly and has been an inspiration to others. In the fall of 2013, Walker returned to Tulane’s Uptown campus and to the classroom to continue his studies in cell and molecular biology. He participated in graduation ceremonies prior to signing with the Saints on Saturday.

Walker also returned to the football field sideline as a constant supporter of his teammates in 2013 as Tulane enjoyed their finest season in more than a decade and played in the New Orleans Bowl. While taking part in rehabilitation three days a week and completing his studies, Walker spent extensive time with the team, attending meetings, practices and all Tulane football games at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, giving a pregame speech to the team prior to each home game.

Walker has been recognized nationally for his inspirational attitude. In 2013, he received the Disney Spirit Award, an honor given annually by Disney Sports to college football’s most inspirational figure. He was honored by the New Orleans Fellowship Foundation and the organization renamed one of their annual awards the “Devon Walker Courage Award.” He also was named the 2012 Brandon Burlsworth Courage Award winner and earned a spot on the Burlsworth Trophy watchlist, which recognizes former walk-ons who provide solid contributions to their team.

“When Devon got hurt, his football career was just starting to take off after three years of hard work,” Saints Coach Sean Payton said. “Despite the devastating injury he suffered, Devon refuses to let that define him. He is an outstanding young man, who is not only an inspiration to his coaches and teammates at Tulane, but to all of us. Devon’s character, determination, intelligence and work ethic are everything that we look for in a New Orleans Saint when we sign a player. This is the least we can do to recognize Devon and these attributes that we want all of our players to have.”

“I would like to congratulate Devon on his graduation and for all his accomplishments,” Tulane Coach Curtis Johnson said. “I am very proud of him and I am very happy for his family. This is a first-class move by a first-class organization. The Saints have been very supportive of Devon and I would like to thank Mr. (Tom) Benson, Mickey Loomis and Sean Payton for allowing Devon to be a part of an NFL team. I believe it once again demonstrates the organization’s commitment to the New Orleans community and to one of its own.”

http://www.neworlean...nshare:facebook

Too bad the Saints don't still have Roman Harper...Walker could move ahead of him on the depth chart.

Yeah I read about this earlier, that's pretty cool.

Meanwhile Harper is the #1 safety for the Panthers.

Ha, ha...beat ya, Ducky!

Where's the :cheerleader: ?

Ha, ha...beat ya, Ducky!

In Carolina beating Harper in practice!

• Like 1

Ha, ha...beat ya, Ducky!

Yeah, but in fairness, the cheerleaders are probably better than any WR still on their roster...

Ha, ha...beat ya, Ducky!

Yeah, but in fairness, the cheerleaders are probably better than any WR still on their roster...

The only thing the cheerleaders have to worry about on that team is Greg Hardy.

Saints sign second-rounder Stanley Jean-Baptiste

Posted by Darin Gantt on May 17, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptjjztgzzdu1mgywywfhnzy1mjrkowq1n2zmyjeyyzi4-e1399735423240.jpeg?w=229

Stanley Jean-Baptiste has the kind of name that makes you think he’s from New Orleans.

Now he’ll spend the next four years there.

The Saints announced their second-round pick had signed his rookie contract Saturday.

The 6-foot-3 cornerback from Nebraska likely benefitted in the draft process from the recent success of the bigger cornerbacks in Seattle, but he had his own resume to lean on, with seven interceptions in college, four of them coming last year.

He’ll have a chance to establish himself in a secondary in flux, giving them a big, physical complement to Keenan Lewis and veteran Champ Bailey.

Saints just signed Cooke. Not sure how I beat you to the news, ducky...

Saints just signed Cooke. Not sure how I beat you to the news, ducky...

I was watching a film! Nick cage! :wacko:

Saints sign first-round pick Brandin Cooks

Posted by Mike Wilkening on May 18, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT

http://prod.images.saints.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/SAINTS/assets/images/imported/NO/photos/clubimages/2014/05-May/temp_MH26455--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720

Another first-round pick has signed with his club.

The club announced Sunday it had reached a deal with wide receiver Brandin Cooks, the No. 20 overall selection in the 2014 NFL Draft.

As with all first-round deals, Cooks received a four-year contract, but the Saints will later have the option to add a fifth year to the deal.

The 5-foot-10, 184-pound Cooks caught 226 passes for 3,272 yards and 24 touchdowns at Oregon State (2011-2013). The Saints traded their first-round pick (No. 27) and third-round selection (No. 91) to Arizona to move up seven spots to select Cooks, who is likely to see immediate playing time for New Orleans.

Cooks is the third first-round pick to sign, joining Raiders linebacker Khalil Mack (No. 5 overall) and Bears cornerback Kyle Fuller (No. 14).

• Like 1

Saints sign four after rookie minicamp tryouts

Posted by Darin Gantt on May 19, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/cheta-ozougwu-pic.jpg?w=162

The Saints signed four players who were in their rookie minicamp on a tryout basis, including a former Mr. Irrelevant.

The Saints signed former Bears outside linebacker Cheta Ozougwu (the final pick of the 2011 Draft by the Texans), wide receiver Steve Hull, running back Derrick Strozier and offensive lineman Thomas Welch.

They also waived/non-football illness nose tackle Brandon McCray and waived guard Micajah Reynolds.

Welch has the most experience of the group, with 27 appearances and one start, spending time with the Patriots, Rams and Bills.

Deal forbids Brees from motorcycle

Updated: May 19, 2014, 11:58 AM ET

By Darren Rovell | ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/v...d=espn:10953336

Brees Pitches Motorcycle; Not Allowed To Ride It

Darren Rovell discusses Drew Brees' endorsement of a motorcycle that his contract prohibits him from riding.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2014/0519/nfl_brees_kh_400x600.jpg

Endorsements often rely on athletes professing their love of a particular product, but New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees admits that he can't even try the latest product he's pitching.

[+] EnlargeDrew Brees

Courtesy Can-Am Spyder

Drew Brees may want you to buy a Can-Am Spyder, but he can't ride one because of a provision in his contract with the Saints.

The product is the Can-Am Spyder motorcycle, and Brees' NFL contract forbids him from riding one.

Despite the challenge, the company liked the spokesman in Brees, who was familiar with the brand after a former teammate purchased one.

"We knew the restrictions from the beginning, as did Can-Am," Brees told ESPN.com. "Ultimately because I can't ride it now doesn't mean I won't someday. The first chance I have to ride it on a closed course, you can bet I'll take advantage."

Unlike traditional motorcycles, the Can-Am Spyder has three wheels and a Y-shaped frame to provide extra stability. For this reason, the product appeals to a demographic outside the traditional motorcycle buyer.

"We don't have any problem getting attention in the motorcycle media," said Tom Riley, director of global marketing for the brand. "The challenge is to communicate our proposition to sports fans because those people over-index in our category."

So the company is running a media campaign that will catch the eye of NFL fans.

"My football contract forbids me from riding a motorcycle, which is a problem because I really want to ride a Can-Am Spyder," Brees says in the company's commercial. "Luckily, I found a loophole: I'm going to retire."

Brees then calls his agent to tell him and is then seen dressed in full gear riding the bike.

So that Brees won't get in trouble, company officials stress that the rider in the commercial was a stunt double.

Darren Rovell discusses Drew Brees' endorsement of a motorcycle that his contract prohibits him from riding.

Endorsements often rely on athletes professing their love of a particular product, but New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees admits that he can't even try the latest product he's pitching.

[+] EnlargeDrew Brees

Courtesy Can-Am Spyder

Drew Brees may want you to buy a Can-Am Spyder, but he can't ride one because of a provision in his contract with the Saints.

The product is the Can-Am Spyder motorcycle, and Brees' NFL contract forbids him from riding one.

Despite the challenge, the company liked the spokesman in Brees, who was familiar with the brand after a former teammate purchased one.

"We knew the restrictions from the beginning, as did Can-Am," Brees told ESPN.com. "Ultimately because I can't ride it now doesn't mean I won't someday. The first chance I have to ride it on a closed course, you can bet I'll take advantage."

Unlike traditional motorcycles, the Can-Am Spyder has three wheels and a Y-shaped frame to provide extra stability. For this reason, the product appeals to a demographic outside the traditional motorcycle buyer.

"We don't have any problem getting attention in the motorcycle media," said Tom Riley, director of global marketing for the brand. "The challenge is to communicate our proposition to sports fans because those people over-index in our category."

"My football contract forbids me from riding a motorcycle, which is a problem because I really want to ride a Can-Am Spyder," Brees says in the company's commercial. "Luckily, I found a loophole: I'm going to retire."

Brees then calls his agent to tell him and is then seen dressed in full gear riding the bike.

So that Brees won't get in trouble, company officials stress that the rider in the commercial was a stunt double.

Does his concert prevent him from going to One Direction concerts? There could be a problem with hearing the call from the booth in, say, Seattle, due to hearing damage.

[+] EnlargeDrew Brees

Courtesy Can-Am Spyder

Does his concert prevent him from going to One Direction concerts? There could be a problem with hearing the call from the booth in, say, Seattle, due to hearing damage.

Drew is getting some new songs ready for their new album, one title is already known it's called "I Need an Explanation!"

• Like 1

Saints reach deal with LB Khairi Fortt

Posted by Mike Wilkening on May 19, 2014, 8:28 PM EDT

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwy5mzm2mzdkzjvlmwu4nzflmtqyy2qznjdjzdflnwqz.jpeg?w=250

With still more than two months until training camp, the Saints have wrapped up contracts with all six of their draft picks.

The club has reached a four-year agreement with inside linebacker Khairi Fortt, a fourth-round selection from California, the team said Monday.

The 6-foot-2, 240-pound Fortt notched 64 tackles (3.5 for loss) for Cal in 2013. He played for Penn State from 2010 through 2011, recording 50 stops for the Nittany Lions.

The Saints’ starting inside linebackers from 2013 (Curtis Lofton, David Hawthorne) return for 2014, which could leave Fortt to vie for a backup role in the club’s 3-4 scheme in his first NFL season.

The Bears, like the Saints, have contracts done with all of their draft selections.

Saints' Drew Brees plans to play into his 40s

Thirteen seasons into his celebrated NFL career, Drew Brees has no designs on fading away.

With three years left on his mega-deal with the Saints, the Super Bowl-winning quarterback is aiming to compete for another half decade -- at least.

"Do I hope I can play into my 40s? Yes, I do. As long as I'm healthy and playing at a high level, then why not?" Brees, 35, said this week, per The Associated Press. "I certainly don't take it for granted and know that obviously you've got to prove yourself every year."

In today's NFL, Brees has a shot.

After all, Brett Favre tugged the Vikings into the NFC Championship Game at age 40, while Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are both under contract beyond the Big 4-0. There's no reason Brees -- coming off three straight 5,000-yard campaigns -- should gun for less.

There's no hint of a decline. Brees last season pulled off the third-highest completion percentage (68.6) of his career, while recording his lowest interception rate (1.8) since 2004.

Until we see him tossing worm-burners to phantoms, Brees remains a candidate to test the position's longevity limits.

Saints DBs couldn't wait to start competing

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2014/0522/nfl_g_bailey-byrd01jr_576x324.jpg

METAIRIE, La. -- The New Orleans Saints' defensive backs stand out as a competitive bunch. So it should come as no surprise that they didn’t wait for organized team activities next week to find a way to start battling each other on the field.

Spearheaded by cornerback Keenan Lewis, who is from the west bank of New Orleans, the Saints’ DBs have been getting together this offseason for group workouts at local parks.

That group has included big-name newcomers Champ Bailey and Jairus Byrd in a secondary that is now jam-packed with talent. But, as Bailey said, that won’t do the Saints any good if it doesn’t translate onto the field.

“It can look good on paper. I love our potential, but we’ve got a lot of work to do,” said Bailey, a future Hall of Famer with 15 seasons and 12 Pro Bowls under his belt. “We don’t want to get ahead of ourselves. We’ve got to find out how to work together and mesh and improve. Because that’s really what wins you games is playing together and being a great team.”

So far, though, Bailey said he likes what he has seen from his new teammates.

“A young group. Hungry. I haven’t met one guy that didn’t work hard or didn’t want to be great. So that spells some great things for us,” said Bailey, who said his belief in the Saints’ championship potential has been strengthened by his early impressions of his new teammates.

“Absolutely,” Bailey said. “Everybody carries themselves in a championship manner here. You know, I’ve been around some good teams. I was on a pretty good team last year [the Denver Broncos]. We came up short, and I just want another opportunity. And I think this is a great place for me.”

After spending the past 10 years with the Broncos, Bailey said it has been interesting to get to know a whole new group of guys and their personalities.

None has stood out more than Lewis -- again, not surprisingly.

Lewis himself admitted, “Those guys think I’m real funny because I talk a lot. But I just want everybody to feel comfortable in the locker room and, you know, as a family. And we’ve got one goal we’ve got to reach.”

Bailey laughed when he heard that and said, “He does [talk a lot]. He gets his share of words in. But it’s all good stuff. He’s a great, positive guy. He works harder than anybody on the team. So it’s great to be around a group of guys like that.”

Lewis is arguably the most competitive of the bunch, as he made clear last year when he didn’t hide his disappointment over being snubbed for his first Pro Bowl. This year, Lewis said he is aiming for his first All-Pro selection instead.

However, Lewis said he is keeping his goal of seven interceptions the same as last year, because he knows it will be tougher with interception-magnet Byrd now roaming the back of the secondary.

“I’m scared to have him back there. I hope he just don’t get in the way and take all the interceptions,” Lewis said. “That’s a ball-hawk type of guy, great to work with. I had the opportunity to play [against] him in college [when Lewis was at Oregon State and Byrd was at Oregon]. So I’m glad to have him as a teammate.”

Second-year cornerback Rod Sweeting -- who insists that he won’t step aside quietly in the competition with veteran corners like Lewis, Bailey, Corey White and Patrick Robinson -- said the offseason workout sessions have brought out the competitiveness in everyone.

“We have [18] DBs here, so we’re all just competing, having a good time, enjoying each other,” Sweeting said. “You know, when somebody does something better than the other, then the other one tries to match that.”

Lewis said he has been playing the role of quarterback in many of those sessions. “I’m another Drew Brees,” he joked.

But he said the main focus has been working on those interceptions. Last year, forcing turnovers was the one area where the Saints defense fell short, despite ranking No. 2 in the NFL in pass defense and No. 4 overall.

“We definitely got better,” Lewis said. “I wouldn’t say we’ve added the pieces that we missed, because I didn’t feel like we had no pieces missing. But we got some guys who can help. ... I’m pretty sure we’ll be ready, competing to be one of the best in the league.”

Vaccaro healing: Safety Kenny Vaccaro -- another ultracompetitor in the Saints secondary -- was unavailable to the media during teammate Ben Grubbs’ charity softball game Wednesday night, when the other defensive backs spoke. But it was worth noting that Vaccaro didn’t have any covering over the ankle that he fractured late last season.

It is unclear if Vaccaro will be limited during OTAs next week, but he is expected to be fully healthy in plenty of time for the season.

Thirteen seasons into his celebrated NFL career, Drew Brees has no designs on fading away.

With three years left on his mega-deal with the Saints, the Super Bowl-winning quarterback is aiming to compete for another half decade -- at least.

"Do I hope I can play into my 40s? Yes, I do. As long as I'm healthy and playing at a high level, then why not?" Brees, 35, said this week, per The Associated Press. "I certainly don't take it for granted and know that obviously you've got to prove yourself every year."

After all, Brett Favre tugged the Vikings into the NFC Championship Game at age 40, while Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are both under contract beyond the Big 4-0. There's no reason Brees -- coming off three straight 5,000-yard campaigns -- should gun for less.

There's no hint of a decline. Brees last season pulled off the third-highest completion percentage (68.6) of his career, while recording his lowest interception rate (1.8) since 2004.

Until we see him tossing worm-burners to phantoms, Brees remains a candidate to test the position's longevity limits.

He's going to play until One Direction's voices change...

Brees on Cooks, home runs and more

METAIRIE, La. -- The local media caught up with New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees for the first time this offseason on Wednesday night during teammate Ben Grubbs’ charity softball game.

http://rugbywrapup.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/brees.jpg

Click here for Brees’ thoughts on going through the offseason without tight end Jimmy Graham. And click here for his explanation of why he’s taken such a passionate stance against the proposed workers compensation bill in Louisiana.

Here are a few other topics Brees discussed:

On how fired up he is for OTAs next week: “Really excited. Hey, we’ve been working out in the weight room long enough. Now it’s time to get to some actual football. Looking forward to just kind of diving back into the playbook and getting on the field and seeing some of these young guys and how they’ve developed in the offseason. We’ve been able to spend some time together, throwing around and just kind of talking through concepts and scenarios and situations. And this is what helps prepare you for training camp and then into the season. Looking forward to when [rookie receiver] Brandin Cooks can be here – I know he’s got some school to finish up first. But yeah, just excited for another start.”

On adding Cooks, especially after losing weapons like Darren Sproles and Lance Moore this offseason: “Yeah, it’s awesome. I mean, we traded up to get this guy. So that tells me a lot about how we feel about this guy. Not only his talent and his skill set, but also just the type of guy he is. From all accounts, he’s just a phenomenal person, a great teammate, extremely hard, tough work ethic, and just a character guy. Fits in perfect in our locker room and loves football. We love those guys.”

On beating defensive end Tyrunn Walker on Wednesday to reclaim the home run derby title after losing out to backup quarterback Luke McCown last year: “It’s good. It’s good that it came home. It stays within the quarterback group, which is good. I think we have four or five in a row at this point. I know this, Luke McCown has his trophy from last year literally right above his locker. I stared at it every day, and it just ate at me. And I said as soon as we get this opportunity again to settle the score, I’m going to reclaim it. So now I’m gonna set mine next to his. And I think this year’s trophy is a little bigger, so it’s gonna stand a little bit taller than his.”

He's going to play until One Direction's voices change...

So he'll play forever!! :banana: :clap:

Rob Ryan Is Living The Dream At The New Orleans Greek Festival

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/nkqzkxduul5lul9vqxta.jpg

Saints defensive coordinator Rob Ryan had a ball at the New Orleans Greek Festival today. Reader Greg sent along a photo of Ryan—in some snazzy shorts—dancing with a group. He's living the dream. (What's that dude in the foreground doing? No clue.)

New Orleans Times-Picayune photographer Michael DeMocker had a couple photos of his own, which we will share because there can never be enough photos of Rob Ryan dancing.

BobypmoCQAAU7Zz.jpg

BocahbcCUAAMi4Y.jpg

Edited by treeduck