Do You Read More Than One Book At Once?

ThatLightInYourEyes

I'm sure that what's "better" varies from person to person, but I much prefer to read one at a time. If I'm into in a story, I'm eager to return to it. If it's a book I haven't read before and it isn't hooking me at once, I'm eager to find out if it'll eventually capture my interest. And I'm the sort who likes to finish something I've started before moving on to something else.
  • Like 1

I used to stick with one at a time but now I listen to a lot of audio books so I usually am reading at least two or more books at a time. It helps if they are from different genres, can be too confusing to read all fantasy. It just depends on my mood.

I'm sure that what's "better" varies from person to person, but I much prefer to read one at a time. If I'm into in a story, I'm eager to return to it. If it's a book I haven't read before and it isn't hooking me at once, I'm eager to find out if it'll eventually capture my interest. And I'm the sort who likes to finish something I've started before moving on to something else.

Me too.

I read books more than once. I find if there is a book I really like, I'll read it again. The first read gets you familiar with the story and the second read allows me to put it all together. Often times I find when I read a story, stuff that happens early on that later become significant, gets forgotten or I don't remember all of the details, or just gets missed. The second or third (depending on the book) allows me to really soak it up.

I've only read more than one book at once a couple of different times, but I don't think I could do that right now. I haven't been reading nearly as much lately compared to the past few years, anyway.

I read books more than once. I find if there is a book I really like, I'll read it again. The first read gets you familiar with the story and the second read allows me to put it all together. Often times I find when I read a story, stuff that happens early on that later become significant, gets forgotten or I don't remember all of the details, or just gets missed. The second or third (depending on the book) allows me to really soak it up.

This too, especially with Stephen King: IT, Tommyknockers and The Shining.

I usually read a fiction and non-fiction, biographies at the same time. Can't read two of the same genre at a time because i get the stories or facts mixed up. But when it's reality + fiction i have no problem.
  • Like 1

I usually have a book that I read before I go to bed, a book in the car for when I like to grab lunch somewhere and read and then usually a book in the living room when I'm tired of watching TV. Usually keep at least a couple going at one time.
  • Like 1

I do. Sometimes there is a lull in the story and I want to start something fresh for a couple days before I return to that same story. I usually choose a book that is a total different genre, usually a fiction as opposed to non-fiction. I have had up to 5 books going at once.
  • Like 1

I usually have several books at the same time, a mix of fiction and non fiction, but wouldn't read two very similar novels at the same time. I sometimes have a phase of a particular author though.

I'm always in several books at once, though some might lag behind others because they aren't as compelling. Usually just one or two (at most) fiction because they rely on plot and pacing, but several non-fiction.

Sometimes. In our library system "New titles" are limited to a two week loan, and if I go there at the right time I'll pull 4 or 5 from those shelves along with anything I'm on a hold list for.

I usually read a fiction and non-fiction, biographies at the same time. Can't read two of the same genre at a time because i get the stories or facts mixed up. But when it's reality + fiction i have no problem.

Me too. I usually select one fictional novel as well as a few non-fiction books that collaborate with the novel I’m currently reading. If I choose a novel based on time travel for example, I may grab a couple of books regarding relativity or quantum theories to use as peripheral references. I think that’s a great way to kindle the mind and better absorb a particular subject, as it’s much easier to remember something while you are entertained. It certainly seems words are far easier to recollect if they have been applied to a song opposed to being spoken alone. I’m not sure why that is, maybe because our memories are based on our senses/emotions?

I keep a stack next to my bed of a variety of subjects. At the end of every day when I hit the sack how I'm feeling will determine which book I grab for.

This too, especially with Stephen King: IT, Tommyknockers and The Shining.

11/22/63, Under The Dome, The Dark Tower. He has a bunch of books like that.

I try so very very hard to stick to one book at a time, but I'm always shifting my interests so quickly! I jump from classics to sci-fi in a matter of weeks!

I usually have a couple books going at the same time. Like other posters have said, usually one is fiction and the other is non-fiction. Sometimes in the middle of those I'll pick up some other book and get hooked. I have to finish the 3rd book before I go back to the other two!

Almost never. Anytime I’ve tried, I get messed-up and will favor one until it’s finished and THEN read the other. I’d like to be able to read one self-helpy non-fiction book (say, fitness and health) while also reading another book for pleasure. (This is what Oprah does, actually.) However, I don’t know how this would work. When do you read which? Is it a “fiction during the day, and non-fiction at bedtime” sort of thing? And while I’m reading the self-help book, wouldn’t I feel I’m missing-out on reading the other book for pleasure?

Until this past week, never.

But I am reading the Potter books again for the first time in years, and as much as I am enjoying them (EVEN MORE THAN I DID AS A HP OBSESSED CHILD!), I need something to fall back on when I am close to being overwhelmed.

...so I went for something completely different: World War Z.