The "Yes" Appreciation Thread: For Those Who Are Just Beginning...

Segue Myles

Okay, I have been very verbal about my discovery of Yes today. It has been twelve hours of mind-blowing bliss, and Tales From Topographic Oceans and Relayer have taken my breath away.

They are amazing and I want to go into this journey with as much help as possible.

So, for more wise and experienced Yes followers...what is it about Yes that you love? What album would you most recommend, and why? Any interesting facts, pictures, songs, stories?

Whatever it is...I am eager to learn and listen. And I will do my best to reassure you all that there is more to my music collection than Toto...lol...

90125: noted!

I am playing Topographic Oceans again, and the only thing I can truly compare it to in my mind is Miles Davis at his most elaborate and experimental. Its like rock, jazz and classical tumbled down the stairs together and reassembled themselves at the bottom in the wrong way, but then decided to form a band. I honestly love it! The Ancient is absolutely perfect!

Played Tormato. Brilliant. Fragile. Very good. Relayer. Absolutely astounding!

Cyclonus X-1 once sent me a personal message that said 90125 was to commercial. I argued but I couldn't change his mind... :sarcastic: :)

Edit: He also said something about it being accessible too... :huh:

Edited by Narpet

Topographic Oceans is pushing me close to tears. This is why I listen to music. This is exactly what I hoped they would be.

I really, really am astounded by how great they are. I honestly wish I could have been there when bands like this grew...I really wish for rock to still be like this and make the top ten.

Sorry...this is really over the top...but I was all ready to be disappointed but this just blew everything out of the water!

Tormato just started. Its wonderful...

Close to the Edge , The Yes Album and Drama are ones you need to get ...now !

Close to the Edge and The Yes Album are my favorite albums of theirs. Drama is a great album despite Jon Anderson not being on it, and Rick Wakeman, for that matter.

• Like 2

Ok...I got that one downloaded as well...

Topographic Oceans is my favourite so far.

• Like 1

I just came across a list of Yes albums that put Yessongs at the very top...will definitely check it out!
  • Like 1

Recently in the "Albums You Listened to Today" thread, I mentioned I played 90125 for the first time in some 20-25 years. I was struck by how timeless it sounded (I know, I know, it's supposed to sound "dated"), and how the songs' hooks must have really hooked me deeply, because despite that long space of time it seemed that I still knew every passage, every note!

A couple of days ago in the same thread -- right before you had your big epiphany -- I busted out my copy of Tales from the basement. I'm pretty sure I haven't heard it in 15 years, but I wrote that it would be the last time. It just bored me, frankly. And although I haven't heard Close to the Edge or Relayer in several years, I know I still love them -- especially the former. I own Fragile, which I remember as being just okay. I've heard no other album by Yes (except for the song "Tempus Fugit" from Drama, because someone once included it on a mix tape back in the day).

The point is I'm not a big Yes guy, but I'll follow this thread and revisit these old titles I have and try out some other ones. I'll give the band a second chance. Hopefully I won't be pilloried by the Yes faithful if my experiment goes nowhere.

Edited by Chronos

Cyclonus X-1 once sent me a personal message that said 90125 was to commercial. I argued but I couldn't change his mind... :sarcastic: :)

:) I'm definitely a Yessnob, but I'm also a huge fan of the work Rabin did with the band. I love Big Generator, 90125, and especially Talk. Tormato, Talk, and The Ladder are my picks for the group's most underrated records.

Good job by Sheldon bringing up Going for the One. Close to the Edge, Fragile, and The Yes Album are their greatest works, but Going for the One is a powerhouse album worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as those three. And Yesshows is worth checking out in addition to Yessongs.

:) I'm definitely a Yessnob, but I'm also a huge fan of the work Rabin did with the band. I love Big Generator, 90125, and especially Talk. Tormato, Talk, and The Ladder are my picks for the group's most underrated records.

Good job by Sheldon bringing up Going for the One. Close to the Edge, Fragile, and The Yes Album are their greatest works, but Going for the One is a powerhouse album worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as those three. And Yesshows is worth checking out in addition to Yessongs.

You have a good sense of humor my friend. Going For The One is a must have.... :)
  • Like 1

My favorites are the classic 70s albums, especially Going for the One and Close to the Edge, but I really like 90125. It was my first Yes album and I loved it immediately, despite it being a bit commercial. Can't get into Big Generator (though I haven't played it in a long time...maybe my opinion would change if I listen to it again) but Talk is pretty underrated.

And Drama is another favorite! I love that album, and Howe really shines.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ
  • Like 1

O my...ok I will hopefully here 90125 in the next few days! Oh man I just woke up with the desire to play some more...shane I am so busy...

90125. Yes snobs will tell you it's too commercial or accessible. But it is a fantastic album. My favorite by the band by a lot.

personally I think the yes album and fragile are a lot more "accessible." I've seen all good people, yours is no disgrace, roundabout, long distance runaround, all these tunes are played on the radio...like rush, yes could pull off the complex prog shit and make it plenty accessible for "regular" listeners. most folks' complaints with 90125 have nothing to do with accessibility, I just think to a lot of folks it sounds like a regular early 80s pop record. it's got some good tunes though, don't get me wrong. I'm not a huge fan of it though, myself

Also, listen to the live album, "Yessongs", just brilliant.

That and "Seconds Out" by Genesis are two of my all time favourite live albums.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c9/Yessongs_front_cover.jpg

yesshows is great too, killer version of gates of delirium!

• Like 2