What If Operating Systems Were Religions?

barney_rebel

For some people, they are. Just look at Stallman.

Stallman is just a nut. If anything, he's the perfect example of how NOT to make an operating system your entire existence!

It sure is easier to try and convert someone to your operating system than to try and talk to them about Jesus or Allah or Jehovah or whoever.
  • Like 1

It sure is easier to try and convert someone to your operating system than to try and talk to them about Jesus or Allah or Jehovah or whoever.

I'm not certain of that. I can't recall a PC lover who has changed to love Mac OS, but I do know people who've changed religions. I can definitively state that people who fell or fall in love with z/OS (or it's predecessors, or z/VM - the true master OS) do not typically find the PC, UNIX/LINUX flavours or Mac palatable. PC/mid-range constructs are quite quaint by comparison.

The finest PC operating system was the now defunct (and extremely poorly marketed by IBM) OS/2.

I'm not certain of that. I can't recall a PC lover who has changed to love Mac OS, but I do know people who've changed religions. I can definitively state that people who fell or fall in love with z/OS (or it's predecessors, or z/VM - the true master OS) do not typically find the PC, UNIX/LINUX flavours or Mac palatable. PC/mid-range constructs are quite quaint by comparison.

The finest PC operating system was the now defunct (and extremely poorly marketed by IBM) OS/2.

Really? That's the exact opposite of how it is around me. And my point wasn't how easily people would be converted, yet how easily the converter will bring up his / her belief. I get considerably more friends convincing me to switch to Mac than Jehovah's Witnesses at my door.

Really? That's the exact opposite of how it is around me. And my point wasn't how easily people would be converted, yet how easily the converter will bring up his / her belief. I get considerably more friends convincing me to switch to Mac than Jehovah's Witnesses at my door.

It is probably the crowd I spend time with...mostly, IT types. Except for graphic artists, everyone I know is PC/Unix/Linux flavoured and couldn't be made to change (and the artists want nothing to do with a PC either).

To your point, both PC and Mac users tend to be quite dogmatic in their OS view and love to bring up the strengths of their OS as a compelling reason to change. The dogma pushes back the other way, too, as to why they can't change.

Of course, the truth is to use which ever tool accomplishes the job and beyond that it is personal preference. Each OS has its place and each has its strength.

:)

For me, moving from Windows to Linux had the same feeling relief, happiness, exciement, fear, grief and joy as when I went from being a Chatholic to Atheist.

Though I do think that the Linux/Protestant reformation analogy in the article to be pretty acccurate. :)