Well, THAT was a failed experiment

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27718 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 01 January 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

View PostNarpet, on 01 January 2014 - 10:40 AM, said:

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 01 January 2014 - 10:37 AM, said:

View PostNarpet, on 01 January 2014 - 12:10 AM, said:

Seems like that stuff may kill libido too, or maybe it's just being married to me...... :huh: :)
That, my friend, is all TOO common, and mostly associated with females. Meds impact people—PERIOD. No way around it. According to statistics female usage of prescribed medication dwarfs that of men...except for boys diagnosed with ADHD. It's the reverse in that gender and age group.

I'll admit that I'm not sold on the benefit of psyche meds...people are all too eager to throw pills in their mouth in order to take the edge off their stress levels.

The pharmaceutical companies are making addicts by the tens of thousands with drugs that they have no real idea how it will impact people later in life.
It seems a horny pill should at least go along with them to counterbalance the effects.... :)
Libido oddly returns to somewhat normal levels when people commit to physical excercise. Sex is THE stress reliever when done right.
It probably doesn't relieve stress if its not done at all..... :)

Sponsored Post

#22 HomesickAlien

HomesickAlien

Ye Old Morel Sniffer

• Members *
  • 10507 posts
  • Interests:Daydreaming

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

View PostYa_Big_Tree, on 01 January 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

Honestly if it works for you Mara, despite my beliefs and what the personally did to me and my long term health I think it's a good thing.

But you have to wonder, if it was the withdrawl symptoms from the medications that were making you feel worse than you actually are. I know they engineer this stuff in labs and don't know ALL the long term effects because they havent been tested and studied for 30+ years yet. Just something to ponder.

I personally couldn't stay on meds because the wrong ones threw me into mania or made me pass out. And the ones that stabilized my moods took HIGH tolls on my liver and heart rate and made my metabolism and thyroid shot to shit.

I can also say that going off meds when I did it was like drug withdrawl. I felt like my skin was crawling, I felt soooo terrible, depressed etc... and it dawned on me that ANYTHING that has that kind of hold on me isn't good for me. And that's when the seeking alternatives for controlling my bipolar cycles came.

Did you taper off your meds or quit cold turkey?

When I was in high school I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. For eight years I took a combination of an SSRI and a benzodiazepine, first Zoloft and Tranxene, then Lexapro and Xanax. Needless to say, such a potent combo helped my anxiety, but I realized that my mood had been "flatlined", no real highs or lows. I eventually decided to find out what my "normal" state of mind should be, so I quit cold turkey. I finished my meds and never returned to the psychiatrist for refills.

Withdrawal, which I suspect was from the Xanax and not the Lexapro, was horrible. Insomnia was a terrible problem for the first few weeks, my anxiety level shot through the roof, and to say I was irritable would have been an understatement. My sleep gradually improved, but it took 3 or 4 months before all of the symptoms subsided.

I realized that the meds were indeed a crutch, and that there were alternative methods to deal with my anxiety. There are obviously people who truly need psychiatric drugs to function normally, but I wasn't one of them.

#23 HomesickAlien

HomesickAlien

Ye Old Morel Sniffer

• Members *
  • 10507 posts
  • Interests:Daydreaming

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 01 January 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

View PostYa_Big_Tree, on 01 January 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

You have to wonder, if it was the withdrawl symptoms from the medications that were making you feel worse than you actually are.

I can also say that going off meds when I did it was like drug withdrawl.

It is drug withdrawal. You nailed it. Doctors who prescribe this stuff are woefully ignorant of the implications of this stuff, yet prescribe it with great regularity. Why?

A big problem is that GPs who aren't qualified to diagnose and treat psychiatric disorders are far too willing to dole them out like candy on Halloween. I know many people who've gone to the doctor and complained about feeling blue and were prescribed anti-depressants; I doubt any of them were clinically depressed. It's impossible to diagnose a mental disorder based on a ten minute conversation with a family practitioner.

A common practice today seems to be prescribing an anti-psychotic like Abilify or Seroquel as an adjunct to anti-depressants. Clearly, there are cases where an anti-psychotic would be called for (e.g., schizophrenia), but the risk of side effects, such as tardive dyskinesia, would seem to outweigh the benefits for a depressed patient who isn't psychotic.

In Australia, Seroquel is even commonly prescribed for insomnia!

#24 Mara

Mara

Hindu Goddess of Death

• Members *
  • 25526 posts
  • Interests:Reading (historical fiction, Cold War political intrigue esp). Playing with my dogs, hiking, working out like a maniac. Thoroughbred racing.

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:55 PM

Here's what sort of defined it for me.

I'd be depressed - as in confined-to-the-house-almost-immobile, disengaged depressed regardless of external conditions. To me, and to people who knew me, it didn't make sense; outwardly everything was fine.  I'd have the usual common stressors like bills and all, but I had/have a good job.  No family problems, husband could not be more faithful and loving (if a bit exasperating at times, hee-hee), and I was physically healthy.

So it made no sense to anyone, including me, why I'd feel as though I was drowning in some kind of nameless sorrow.  It is not normal.  Telling myself that there was no reason for it and I that I had tons of reasons to be happy did no good.  My favorite explanation of this condition (thanks to Hyperbole and A Half):

"Trying to use willpower to overcome the apathetic sort of sadness that accompanies depression is like a person with no arms trying to punch themselves until their hands grow back.  A fundamental component of the plan is missing and it isn't going to work."

So for whatever reason, my neurological wiring seems to have a bit of a short in it somewhere in the part that utilizes serotonin.  SSRIs remedy that for me, and I am grateful the technology exists.

#25 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

The Grinder of all Yukonian Blades

• Members *
  • 14365 posts
  • Interests:Picking it up. Laying it down.
    Staying on the inside track.
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:42 PM

View PostMara, on 01 January 2014 - 01:55 PM, said:

I'd be depressed - as in confined-to-the-house-almost-immobile, disengaged depressed regardless of external conditions. To me, and to people who knew me, it didn't make sense; outwardly everything was fine.  I'd have the usual common stressors like bills and all, but I had/have a good job.  No family problems and I was physically healthy.

So it made no sense to anyone, including me, why I'd feel as though I was drowning in some kind of nameless sorrow.  It is not normal.  Telling myself that there was no reason for it
It's all too common Mara. Humanity has been dealing with this forever.

Gandhi and CS Lewis called it the "God-shaped" hole. A hole that can only be filled by God. Whether or not you believe in a god isn't relevant. Everyone experiences this emptiness. How we try to fill it varies from person to person.

Doctors have become our defacto "priests". They give hope found in a pill.

This struggle is one reason I'm attracted to Neil's lyrics. He wrestles with this struggle trying to make sense of it.

IMO

#26 Narps

Narps

• Members
  • 27718 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:12 PM

To tell you the truth...... Manic exercise and this forum has filled my void and has given me a diversion from what could have been an otherwise depressing set of circumstances. Hand surgery, not working, isolated, overweight, drinking way to much beer, can't bowl anymore, can't play golf anymore (which I was good at both btw), no sex life or physical affirmation whatsoever. etc. etc. Whoa is me. F that! :)

#27 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

• Members *
  • 14365 posts
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

View PostNarpet, on 01 January 2014 - 03:12 PM, said:

To tell you the truth...... Manic exercise and this forum has filled my void and has given me a diversion from what could have been an otherwise depressing set of circumstances. Hand surgery, not working, isolated, overweight, drinking way to much beer, can't bowl anymore, can't play golf anymore (which I was good at both btw), no sex life or physical affirmation whatsoever. etc. etc. Whoa is me. F that! :)
Now, if you'll just learn an instrument. Don't try—do it!

You took it by the horns Old School. Look at what you've changed. You know nothing changes if NOTHING CHANGES! My applause for the courage to make a change. A lesson to everyone.

BTW—I live in a van down by the river

Edited by Tombstone Mountain, 01 January 2014 - 03:46 PM.

#28 Narps

Narps

• Members
  • 27718 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:49 PM

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 01 January 2014 - 03:38 PM, said:

You took it by the horns Old School. Look at what you've changed. You know nothing changes if NOTHING CHANGES! My applause for the courage to make a change. A lesson to everyone.
Do you need a functional right (dominant) hand to play an instrument? :huh: There is a song about Changes. I believe a dude named Trevor wrote it...... :D-13:  

#29 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

• Members *
  • 14365 posts
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

View PostNarpet, on 01 January 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

Do you need a functional right (dominant) hand to play an instrument? :huh: There is a song about Changes. I believe a dude named Trevor wrote it...... :D-13:  
Define functional

#30 Narps

Narps

• Members
  • 27718 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 01 January 2014 - 03:51 PM, said:

Define functional
My wrist only bends about 10 degrees forward and none back and it is stiff and hurts like hell most of the time. My fingers to are swelled some and stiff all the time. There are certain things, and mostly taken for granted things by most, that require creativity for me to do anymore. You can use your imagination on those if you dare too :scared: ..... :D-13:

#31 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

• Members *
  • 14365 posts
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

View PostNarpet, on 01 January 2014 - 04:00 PM, said:

Define functional
My wrist only bends about 10 degrees forward and none back and it is stiff and hurts like hell most of the time. My fingers to are swelled some and stiff all the time. There are certain things, and mostly taken for granted things by most, that require creativity for me to do anymore. You can use your imagination on those if you dare too :scared: ..... :D-13:
Piano. You can make music with that condition on a keyboard.

#32 Narps

Narps

• Members
  • 27718 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 01 January 2014 - 04:34 PM, said:

Define functional
I guess slappin da bass, or anything else for that matter, is out...... :7up:

#33 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

• Members *
  • 14365 posts
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

View PostNarpet, on 01 January 2014 - 04:39 PM, said:

Define functional
Depending on pain to let tolerance you can try it. Are you right handed? Which hand is injured?

#34 Narps

Narps

• Members
  • 27718 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:31 PM

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 01 January 2014 - 04:50 PM, said:

Define functional
Depending on pain to let tolerance you can try it. Are you right handed? Which hand is injured?
It's my right hand. My dominant hand. It might get more limber and usable over time. I am good for now....

#35 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

• Members *
  • 14365 posts
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:36 PM

View PostNarpet, on 01 January 2014 - 09:31 PM, said:

Define functional
It's my right hand. My dominant hand. It might get more limber and usable over time. I am good for now....
I hope you attempt to learn an instrument even with your hand troubles.  You never, could even be beneficial to your recovery by picking something up. Your son is a musician...sure he could show you a thing or two. Live in the now bro!

#36 Mara

Mara

Hindu Goddess of Death

• Members *
  • 25526 posts
  • Interests:Reading (historical fiction, Cold War political intrigue esp). Playing with my dogs, hiking, working out like a maniac. Thoroughbred racing.

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:36 PM

Define functional

How dominant - I know it's not as easy to retrain the brain when we're older (I'm 45), but it can be done.  I'm left-handed but somewhat ambidextrous - if I HAD to switch I could.  The only activities I'm a lefty on are writing and eating.  No one writes anything anymore, and believe me I will find a way to get food to my mouth.

#37 Narps

Narps

• Members
  • 27718 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

View PostMara, on 01 January 2014 - 09:36 PM, said:

Define functional

How dominant - I know it's not as easy to retrain the brain when we're older (I'm 45), but it can be done.  I'm left-handed but somewhat ambidextrous - if I HAD to switch I could.  The only activities I'm a lefty on are writing and eating.  No one writes anything anymore, and believe me I will find a way to get food to my mouth.
I can do many things left handed (athletic background). A few years back I spent a summer learning to bowl left handed. I am not nearly as good and if you knew me you would know how frustrating that is for me. Competitive is an understatement... :)

#38 ThatLightInYourEyes

ThatLightInYourEyes

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1596 posts
  • Location:"Underwater by the end of this century!" rave the climatologists.
  • Interests:Trying. Just trying.

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 01 January 2014 - 02:42 PM, said:

View PostMara, on 01 January 2014 - 01:55 PM, said:

I'd be depressed - as in confined-to-the-house-almost-immobile, disengaged depressed regardless of external conditions. To me, and to people who knew me, it didn't make sense; outwardly everything was fine.  I'd have the usual common stressors like bills and all, but I had/have a good job.  No family problems and I was physically healthy.

So it made no sense to anyone, including me, why I'd feel as though I was drowning in some kind of nameless sorrow.  It is not normal.  Telling myself that there was no reason for it
It's all too common Mara. Humanity has been dealing with this forever.

Gandhi and CS Lewis called it the "God-shaped" hole. A hole that can only be filled by God. Whether or not you believe in a god isn't relevant. Everyone experiences this emptiness. How we try to fill it varies from person to person.

Doctors have become our defacto "priests". They give hope found in a pill.

That may explain why my last psychiatrist has been such a staunch atheist. Well, that and because some of his patients have had religious delusions that have led to many late-night emergency calls. :eyeroll:

Anyway, if I may offer my experience of having been treated for Bipolar I since childhood, psychoanalysis and neurology have come a long way. However the study still has a very, very long way to go. Meanwhile there are serious sociological factors at play in terms of how those with disorders are treated and cared for. In terms of prescribing meds, the ugly truth is that growing populations often mean that doctors are booked and have little choice but to offer quick fixes.

Instead of going off of meds alone, though, you could ask the doctor what kind of alternatives would be a good choice to supplement them. Some great ones are Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, meditation, Dialectic Behavioral Therapy (intense, but great for trauma sufferers) and certain dietary changes and exercises. These might not make it possible to go off meds entirely, but you'll probably be able to reduce your dose and minimize those side effects.

#39 Maverick

Maverick

SWEDGIN!

• Members *
  • 24273 posts
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:22 AM

View PostMara, on 31 December 2013 - 10:52 PM, said:

You know, good question but I don't think there's really a tie in.  I took Chantix for the first two months of my quit and was very careful to monitor my moods since Chantix has apparently been shown to be a cause of depression for some people.  It didn't bother me.

I haven't been wanting nicotine any more or less than usual.  I think about how nice it might be to have a cigarette about every two or three days and I still think secondhand smoke smells divine, but I no longer have any hardcore cravings.

That is something I never thought I would see someone say.

#40 gangsterfurious

gangsterfurious

Dita Von Sneeze

• Members *
  • 5880 posts
  • Interests:Glitter, yoga, Hello Kitty, epsom salt baths, Tic-Tacs, sparkling mineral water, finding the cure for eczema, pajama pants, cupcakes, colored paper-clips, post-it notes, liquid Advil, etc...

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:30 AM

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 01 January 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

View PostNarpet, on 01 January 2014 - 10:40 AM, said:

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 01 January 2014 - 10:37 AM, said:

View PostNarpet, on 01 January 2014 - 12:10 AM, said:

Seems like that stuff may kill libido too, or maybe it's just being married to me...... :huh: :)
That, my friend, is all TOO common, and mostly associated with females. Meds impact people—PERIOD. No way around it. According to statistics female usage of prescribed medication dwarfs that of men...except for boys diagnosed with ADHD. It's the reverse in that gender and age group.

I'll admit that I'm not sold on the benefit of psyche meds...people are all too eager to throw pills in their mouth in order to take the edge off their stress levels.

The pharmaceutical companies are making addicts by the tens of thousands with drugs that they have no real idea how it will impact people later in life.
It seems a horny pill should at least go along with them to counterbalance the effects.... :)
Libido oddly returns to somewhat normal levels when people commit to physical excercise. Sex is THE stress reliever when done right.

My psych wants me doing a very brisk walk 45 minutes a day, sex days a week. (Whoops, Freudian slip there, but why fix it? Too perfect.) Anyway, before putting me on medication he wants me to try exercising more, says it would help with everything in general.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users