Recently, while watching the live version of "A Passage to Bangkok" from the Snakes and Arrows Tour I noticed that Neil doesn't play the drum fills during the chorus. I assume that Neil is extremely embarrassed by the lyrics of that song and not playing the drum fills is his little way of protesting the song. Any thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kB0vgbB7zs&t=1m2s

You should write him a letter and tell him how to play the song properly. I've heard tips from fans are the source for most of his drum ideas.

I hear Neil is very open to advice and criticism, even if u catch him walking around.

Agreed, You should just approach him with open arms and give him a bear hug. He just loves those.

:gumby:

Only after announcing (very loudly) "I am your biggest fan ever!"

And expressing your unending love and devotion. He won't let you go anywhere near him unless you do that first.

• Like 2

Recently, while watching the live version of "A Passage to Bangkok" from the Snakes and Arrows Tour I noticed that Neil doesn't play the drum fills during the chorus. I assume that Neil is extremely embarrassed by the lyrics of that song and not playing the drum fills is his little way of protesting the song. Any thoughts?

You should write him a letter and tell him how to play the song properly. I've heard tips from fans are the source for most of his drum ideas.

I hear Neil is very open to advice and criticism, even if u catch him walking around.

Agreed, You should just approach him with open arms and give him a bear hug. He just loves those.

And expressing your unending love and devotion. He won't let you go anywhere near him unless you do that first.

I'd think he'd make an exception in your case! :moose:

• Like 2

I bet he would.... :wub: :)
  • Like 1

:blush:

:blush:

No blushing necessary. Being hot was not your choice or white privilege either..... :cool:
  • Like 4

Be sure to catch him at the next rest stop on his riding trip with at least 300 other fans waiting with you. Make sure everyone cheers him on as he pumps gas and purchases Slim Jims. Then shout out destinations like song requests. :laughing guy:

• Like 2

Staying on topic: I don´t have a problem with Neil not doing the exact drum fill here. What bugs me more in this version of APTB is that I didn´t really like the way Alex plays his solo. Call me crazy, I just didn´t like it.

Off topic: Neil has mentioned several times that he does not like being approached by fans, but he enjoys his encounters with good spirited strangers and all that. Would anyone of you have the balls/self control/creativity to find a way to talk to him without giving away that you´re a Rush fan? Something along the lines of "hi sir...I noticed you´re riding your bike, but you don´t seem like those menacing hell´s angels types...then again, you don´t strike me as being a businessman either...I wonder what you do for a living?"

• Like 2

Staying on topic: I don´t have a problem with Neil not doing the exact drum fill here. What bugs me more in this version of APTB is that I didn´t really like the way Alex plays his solo. Call me crazy, I just didn´t like it.

Off topic: Neil has mentioned several times that he does not like being approached by fans, but he enjoys his encounters with good spirited strangers and all that. Would anyone of you have the balls/self control/creativity to find a way to talk to him without giving away that you´re a Rush fan? Something along the lines of "hi sir...I noticed you´re riding your bike, but you don´t seem like those menacing hell´s angels types...then again, you don´t strike me as being a businessman either...I wonder what you do for a living?"

He could just say he's a writer, which would be the truth. Books or lyrics.

I'm sure this has probably been pulled off by someone at some point. But boy it would be hard to act normally if you were any kind of fan at all.

Edited by EagleMoon

I have thought about whether this has been tried already. To be honest, I'd rather not know. If Rush fans are supposed to be like Trekkies then I'm not about to take it much further than putting funny things on the Internet. :ph34r:

That's more awkward than just asking him if he's in Rush. Just ask any biker about their bike if you want a conversation. Not very tough.

That's more awkward than just asking him if he's in Rush. Just ask any biker about their bike if you want a conversation. Not very tough.

Or maybe just say, "Hey, I know you." Then when he gets nervous, say, "Didn't you win an Oscar for something in the 90's?"

• Like 1

I´ll leave it up to you to try and keep your cool if/when you meet him. It´s highly unlikely that he´ll travel through South America anytime soon anyway, so the probabiity of me bumping into Neil is about the same as winning the lottery.

He was recognized by a waiter, but the guy didn't let on he knew who he was and left a nice note with the bill. Neil mentioned that he left a generous tip.

Knowing what we all know from this forum I would probably leave him alone, but I did meet Alex at the rehearsal venue here in Nashville right before R30. I didn't let on that I knew who he was and was introduced by the manager of the venue. The manager was a little fannish, but it turned out to be a good fifteen minute or so conversation. I was working on a trade brochure for the facility (something used to send out to prospective users of the space) and Alex was politely interested and what a nice guy. At the end we shook hands and I said I was looking forward to the show and I was glad they had chosen Nashville to kick off the tour. He gave me a "thanks-for-not-being-a-crazy-fanboy" smile and that was that. I think as long as you are calm and collected and not screaming praise at them most famous folks in any genre are cool with that.

• Like 4

"Oh, so you work in the 'entertainment business'? Say, you wouldn't mind giving me your autograph, would you? Sorry, but the only piece of paper I have is this book I'm reading, about some drummer in an unknown rock band which hasn't had a hit in more than 30 years...I got it from Secret Santa at work and haven't even bothered reading it!".
  • Like 3

Absolutely, all you have to do is carry a map around with you. Pretend your lost and approach him with the map open.

"Excuse me sir, can you please point me towards the Coachella Valley and the big Carrot Festival there in?"

:codger:

"Excuse me, Sir. I know you're just about to eat that Rooty Tutti Fresh n' Fruity, but I was just wondering if you would bother writing a poem on this cocktail napkin. You know, just off the top of your head. Preferably paraphrasing, say, an already existing work of literature? Then just sign your name below..."
  • Like 3

"Excuse me, Sir. I know you're just about to eat that Rooty Tutti Fresh n' Fruity, but I was just wondering if you would bother writing a poem on this cocktail napkin. You know, just off the top of your head. Preferably paraphrasing, say, an already existing work of literature? Then just sign your name below..."

Ouch....
  • Like 1

Ouch....

OFF TOPIC: To be clear, I have nothing against paraphrasing... or IHOP dishes with funny names.

BACK ON TOPIC: A lot of people seem to have theories about irregularities in performances by any of the guys. Sometimes Geddy will miss a note, Neil will forget a cymbal, or Alex... well, no, Alex does his weird stuff on purpose.

• Like 1

On topic of 'Bangkok': I'm sure that's just how they played it during the S&A tour (I don't really remember how it sounded at the two shows I saw in '07-08). As to how he looks during it, it's the next-to-last song of the show, and they filmed the Ahoy shows at the very end of the 2007 part of the tour. Of course they're all tired.

On topic of meeting Neil: I'm a big in-person and through-the-mail autograph collector, mainly the minor league baseball teams in the area, but for the most part if certain ones want to be left alone, I just don't bother them. The one reason I would really want to meet Neil is that he and Brutus once stayed in my family's summer cottage on Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick (the lady who runs the other cottages rents ours out when we're not there). He actually briefly mentions that visit to the island in the "News Weather & Sports" update this past summer about the Halifax shows (I think he says it was in 1996...?). I would just want to ask him how he enjoyed his stay on GM, and what they did, etc.

Contrary to popular belief, these guys are not 100 percent perfect every time they play. Yeah, I know, I know, BLASPHEMY, right? Bringing it back to when Rush was at what I consider their peak, performance wise, there is some parts on ESL (the album, not the video version) where Neil is off. At about the 5 minute mark of Xanadu it sounds like he drops a stick (missing the rolling tom fill and the high hat 16th notes.) That really throws me off when I am air drumming! :boohoo:
  • Like 1

Is this what they mean by fans obsessing over every single note to the determent of the live concert song experience?

While this under "who cares" -- they still rock better than any other band.