Guitar virgin

Janie

My husband had remembered months ago about me saying I missed playing a musical instrument (grew up in a very musical family - I grew up playing piano, flute and some guitar). I didn't make much of it but it must have stuck in his mind because for Christmas he surprised me with a Les Paul electric guitar complete with Rocksmith (2014 version). I've only been on it one day and so far I really love how they treat us beginners. They go really slow (thank you!) and I very much need this.

After one day, I'm already anxious to play tomorrow. Here's one issue I've already encountered and looking for tips/advice...

I'm playing sitting down and prefer to have the guitar on my left knee (w/knee raised slightly). I noticed after playing a while that my left wrist was starting to hurt. Am I keeping my wrist too rigid? Am I at an awkward angle (will a picture help determine this) or is it simply a matter of this is something all beginners go through?

A picture would help... :sarcastic:

Edit: If you want to include the guitar in the pic feel free :)

Edited by Narpet
  • Like 1

I started playing Rocksmith 2014 about a month ago and I can tell you a couple of things you'll go through.

As a bass 'virgin' (I've never played any type of guitar) at first I found my wrist would get a little sore but that will go away as you learn to relax your arm. The other thing to be ready for is VERY sore fingers. Since you're on a guitar it'll only be on your non-strumming hand because you use a pick... but you have to let some callouses develop over time.

I have been watching several instructional vids from various bass players on Youtube and something caught my attention in one of them. Try to bring your elbow in towards your body a bit. It will let your wrist naturally relax and also has the effect of allowing your fingers to 'span' a bit farther.

On a sidenote.. Rocksmith is HELLA fun! I bought the RUSH 5 song pack and I love messing around and doing terribly on them. Hahaha! Once I get a bit better I'll buy Headlong Flight as well.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the speedy replies! It sounds like something I just need to work through, which is good news.

My fingers don't move very fast, apparently. One thing Rocksmith is really good about is making you feel good about being bad! "Ok, let's try X, Y and Z." (And then I would totally blow it.) "Ok, let's slow that down a bit." (I'd still blow it.) "Ok, let's just take 30 minutes for you to hit these three notes."

My husband wants to know when I'll bust out YYZ. He may be a very, very old man before I shred that one out.

I would love to learn to play guitar. I am hoping at some point time will allow. I have a feeling however that the issue with my hand won't allow it anyway, sadly....

A picture would help... :sarcastic:

Edit: If you want to include the guitar in the pic feel free :)

See, I know you want a pic. I'm going to hold out until you're *this close* to exploding.

Patience is a virtue my dear.... :P

Guitar is a fantastic instrument, and Les Pauls are fantastic guitars. Congratulations on starting, and thumbs up to your husband for a great gift choice.

As for the issue you mentioned, ThatLightInYourEyes is probably right on with what she said.

Guitar is a fantastic instrument, and Les Pauls are fantastic guitars. Congratulations on starting, and thumbs up to your husband for a great gift choice.

As for the issue you mentioned, ThatLightInYourEyes is probably right on with what she said.

First time for everything.... :P

My husband wants to know when I'll bust out YYZ. He may be a very, very old man before I shred that one out.

My ex and my kids want to know when I'll be able to play Limelight.

I told them to give me a year.. and I wasn't joking!

I can actually play parts of the intro and outro of Red Barchetta which I'm really proud of :D

The first full song I learned on bass was Pour Some Sugar on Me which is ridiculously easy.

But still, it's an accomplishment and something to motivate me to learn more.

I'm onto Every Breath You Take right now.. I'm using the riff repeater to try to get the bridge down which is difficult for my old fingers :P

Every Breath You Take is difficult for Andy Summers. Even though it was the first take. :)

It's funny because I think in part, he did it to get me out of his hair (not that I'm in there much). All of the consoles are upstairs in the media room and he hangs out in the den which is downstairs.

Still, I'm pretty excited to learn the guitar. The only downfall is that I had to cut my fingernails short (not feeling too feminine right now). I'm making up for it by painting my nails funky colors. Man *yawn* I am one exciting chick.

It's funny because I think in part, he did it to get me out of his hair (not that I'm in there much). All of the consoles are upstairs in the media room and he hangs out in the den which is downstairs.

Still, I'm pretty excited to learn the guitar. The only downfall is that I had to cut my fingernails short (not feeling too feminine right now). I'm making up for it by painting my nails funky colors. Man *yawn* I am one exciting chick.

The required constant cutting of fingernails annoys me to this day, haha. Not that I usually have mine long or anything, but it feels really irritating to me to have my nails touching the fretboard even the slightest bit, so I have to keep them super-short at all times.

And it is exciting when a chick plays rock and roll. :D

The required constant cutting of fingernails annoys me to this day, haha. Not that I usually have mine long or anything, but it feels really irritating to me to have my nails touching the fretboard even the slightest bit, so I have to keep them super-short at all times.

I need to update my wardrobe now that I'm a rock and roll chick. I need some tight leather pants. Although I like dresses. Well, when I start rocking out at gigs I'll just have to change it up every night. Super spikey heels with tight leather pants one night, a skirt with minor spikey heels the next. Sometimes a girl has to be good. Sometimes, not.

I have to form a band now.

After one day on Rocksmith. Yes, I must form a band now.

• Like 1

I need to update my wardrobe now that I'm a rock and roll chick. I need some tight leather pants. Although I like dresses. Well, when I start rocking out at gigs I'll just have to change it up every night. Super spikey heels with tight leather pants one night, a skirt with minor spikey heels the next. Sometimes a girl has to be good. Sometimes, not.

If you ever need a second guitarist, you know where to find me. We'll make quite an impression on audiences with our dual-Les Paul attack.

And all of those outfits sound good, whatever the length of your spike-heels. :D

Can I be your drummer?

I like to hit things with sticks...

:P

Also hey Janie... you know Alex Lifeson has quite a few guitar tutorials on youtube... he takes it really slow and is very patient with newbies. ;)

I'm playing sitting down

Have you practiced standing yet?

Much more ergonomic and comfortable imo.

I agree on the comfort element. I almost always play standing up because it's more comfortable and I just have more fun that way. But when I was first learning how to play, I sat. Even now, I feel like I have more control over the instrument that way. Of course, the optimal method of attaining comfort and control varies from person to person. :)

Can I be your drummer?

I like to hit things with sticks...

:P

Also hey Janie... you know Alex Lifeson has quite a few guitar tutorials on youtube... he takes it really slow and is very patient with newbies. ;)

I like to imagine he's slow and patient. Oh, on guitar. Yes! Yes. Will certainly have to check out his tutorials.

I'm playing sitting down

I agree on the comfort element. I almost always play standing up because it's more comfortable and I just have more fun that way. But when I was first learning how to play, I sat. Even now, I feel like I have more control over the instrument that way. Of course, the optimal method of attaining comfort and control varies from person to person. :)

I will admit that it isn't exactly comfortable sitting down. I tried standing but found I was having a hard time finding the 3rd, 5th, 7th.... fret and I have to stare at my fingers. Although I'm trying to get into the practice of getting a feel for where my fingers are and my hand position so that I don't always rely on staring at my hand placement. Jeez, did that even make sense?

One thing I'm not liking is how teensy tiny the dots are for the fret markers. I'm thinking of taking a small sticker dot or something to make it more obvious to me. The dots are large on the neck but microscopic on the top part of the neck where I'm trying to look.

BTW, after I practiced tonight, my fingertips were all indented and purple. I feel like such a guitar player now.

I'm playing sitting down

I will admit that it isn't exactly comfortable sitting down. I tried standing but found I was having a hard time finding the 3rd, 5th, 7th.... fret and I have to stare at my fingers. Although I'm trying to get into the practice of getting a feel for where my fingers are and my hand position so that I don't always rely on staring at my hand placement. Jeez, did that even make sense?

One thing I'm not liking is how teensy tiny the dots are for the fret markers. I'm thinking of taking a small sticker dot or something to make it more obvious to me. The dots are large on the neck but microscopic on the top part of the neck where I'm trying to look.

BTW, after I practiced tonight, my fingertips were all indented and purple. I feel like such a guitar player now.

Check your Rocksmith box.. there should be a sticker set with "1, 3, 5... " etc that you can stick to the neck so you're not looking for the tiny dots. :)

Yes, it made perfect sense. My advice when you're learning something new on the instrument is this: get it right. Look at the fretboard, play it slowly—do what you have to do to nail it. And then when you're comfortable with it, pick up the pace, start playing it without looking, etc. When people try to get fancy or take things too quickly, they play the parts incorrectly, and that's how bad habits form. The incorrect way of playing becomes engrained.

Right on. :haz:

• Like 2

I'm playing sitting down

Check your Rocksmith box.. there should be a sticker set with "1, 3, 5... " etc that you can stick to the neck so you're not looking for the tiny dots. :)

OH! Will do. I'm really, really bad about looking for extras in boxes and reading manuals and directions and such. I am just the worst.